Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 100 Years Ago - live
Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 6, 2015 11:00

Always loved it and one of the best on Soup. Taylor elevated it still further at the end.
Lazybones WTF!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 11:14

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72
I have a pretty clear memory of running home from Licorice Pizza with GHS under my arm, ripping the cello off, and slapping Side 1 on my turntable.

"Dancing With Mr D" was sluggish but still obviously came from The Stones space-time continuum. (I should have been forewarned, though: The Stones last four albums had kicked off with SFTD, GS, BS, and RO; "Mr D" is several thousand light years from them.)

"100 Years Ago," though, I found completely bonkers. What was this clavinet bullshit? 'Lazybones'? Really? Taylor's outro solo was sizzling, so I had some hope for the next track ...

Which was beautiful and an incredible downer and the first Keith lead vocal on a RS record I didn't just want to skip over. Mick's harmony vox on CDA are ravishing. "Sky fall down again," indeed.

Then more clavinet, and then "Angie." It was the weirdest side 1 of a Stones record I'd ever heard. (Not sure I knew TSMR yet.)

My confusion all started with "100 Years Ago." Which today I kind of like for its "differentness" but on that day in 73 I heard it as the downfall of a great band.

eye popping smiley Clavinet bullshit? You mean that beautiful funky rhythmic Billy Preston bliss don't you? lol C'mon man the way it dominated the first verse providing a groove a mile wide in an otherwise rather folky arranged tune was amazing. Plus the song is just so good, structure, lyrics, singing, harmony, killer Taylor playing...it's got it all. Besides the great Stevie Wonder was doing amazing things with the clav at the time too, surely you "got" what he was doing with it? Preston was just bringing some 70's soul and amazing rhythm to the tune.

But hey I respect your opinion, especially since you heard the tune when it was released. I didn't discover it till years later but understood and loved it the first time I heard it and my love hasn't waived. I will agree with you one one point, the lazy bones seems a bit odd for the tune. cheers.

Hey TeddyB1018, never heard anyone describe a Van Morrison influence. I wonder if Jagger ever talked about that? In any case whatever it was, his singing was great, perhaps he should be listening to more Van these days!

Winter was so very Van Morrison.

I think MT and the Stones sound good on the Mannheim live track. It's pretty forward for them. The only thing I don't like is Billy Preston singing call and response with Jagger. He's flashing too much ego and personality for a sideman.

Lazy bones? A bit suspect racially, like an old Stephen Foster lyric but like I said, it's something Van could have got away with in his Marin period.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 15:12

They will be playing it in 2062 at the 100th anniversary show .

Posted by: Wolfgang ()
Date: September 6, 2015 17:03

Nice song but for me (as often said) it sounds not yet finished,....
..could be a bit more "soulfull" like f.e. here
[www.youtube.com]
...I´m sure the Stones could have developed it this direction and it would sound even better

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 17:15

This is one of those interesting Stones' songs that seems to be two different songs melded together. A plaintive walk through the past, with a nice soulful groove that transform into a furious rock/funk jam. Then closes back to the original song. When I was younger, and having been captivated by Exile, I didn't fully appreciate this song. It is more mature, retrospective, and complex. A cool groove.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 6, 2015 17:30

For this listener, 100 Years Ago gets better with time. I think I love it now!

From what we can hear, it sounds great in the posted live clips, given the tempo changes etc it's surprisingly solid and together. hot smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 6, 2015 21:16

Wolfgang
[www.youtube.com]
...I´m sure the Stones could have developed it this direction and it would sound even better

This girl sings ten times better than Lisa Fischer. Superb cover-version.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 6, 2015 21:21

HMS
Wolfgang
[www.youtube.com]

Wow that was indeed sweet! (even though she did skip the line "the buds were burstin' and the air smelled sweet and strange") thanks for that Wolfgang.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 6, 2015 21:26

The ultimate Hendrix rip-off (the guitarist), but I like it.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 6, 2015 22:02

Naturalust
HMS
Wolfgang
[www.youtube.com]

Wow that was indeed sweet! (even though she did skip the line "the buds were burstin' and the air smelled sweet and strange") thanks for that Wolfgang.

Very well sung indeed, but you miss the end of the song, the frantic of it in the end.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 23:23

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72
I have a pretty clear memory of running home from Licorice Pizza with GHS under my arm, ripping the cello off, and slapping Side 1 on my turntable.

"Dancing With Mr D" was sluggish but still obviously came from The Stones space-time continuum. (I should have been forewarned, though: The Stones last four albums had kicked off with SFTD, GS, BS, and RO; "Mr D" is several thousand light years from them.)

"100 Years Ago," though, I found completely bonkers. What was this clavinet bullshit? 'Lazybones'? Really? Taylor's outro solo was sizzling, so I had some hope for the next track ...

Which was beautiful and an incredible downer and the first Keith lead vocal on a RS record I didn't just want to skip over. Mick's harmony vox on CDA are ravishing. "Sky fall down again," indeed.

Then more clavinet, and then "Angie." It was the weirdest side 1 of a Stones record I'd ever heard. (Not sure I knew TSMR yet.)

My confusion all started with "100 Years Ago." Which today I kind of like for its "differentness" but on that day in 73 I heard it as the downfall of a great band.

eye popping smiley Clavinet bullshit? You mean that beautiful funky rhythmic Billy Preston bliss don't you? lol C'mon man the way it dominated the first verse providing a groove a mile wide in an otherwise rather folky arranged tune was amazing. Plus the song is just so good, structure, lyrics, singing, harmony, killer Taylor playing...it's got it all. Besides the great Stevie Wonder was doing amazing things with the clav at the time too, surely you "got" what he was doing with it? Preston was just bringing some 70's soul and amazing rhythm to the tune.

But hey I respect your opinion, especially since you heard the tune when it was released. I didn't discover it till years later but understood and loved it the first time I heard it and my love hasn't waived. I will agree with you one one point, the lazy bones seems a bit odd for the tune. cheers.

Hey TeddyB1018, never heard anyone describe a Van Morrison influence. I wonder if Jagger ever talked about that? In any case whatever it was, his singing was great, perhaps he should be listening to more Van these days!

I thought I'd stumbled into a Herbie Hancock record. (Whom I adore, but keep in mind I was just coming off EOMS and wasn't expecting "100 Years Ago.")

Over the years, the song has grown on me as has most of GHS except for "Can You a Hear the Music" which I still can't stand.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 6, 2015 23:45

kleermaker
Naturalust
HMS
Wolfgang
[www.youtube.com]

Very well sung indeed, but you miss the end of the song, the frantic of it in the end.

Very good version!

"Beautiful and epic cover of the immortal Stones" as someone says in the comments on YouTube, but indeed missing the real EPIC of THE ROLLING STONES version.
Why does the great guitarplayer presses the STOPknob at the end? Can't They Cut The Mustard?

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 7, 2015 00:02

LongBeachArena72

"100 Years Ago," though, I found completely bonkers. What was this clavinet bullshit?

Clavinet Bullshit!!!??? What? It's a funky beauty.....

Love the psychadelic atmosphere of GHS. So much better than the average "rocktunes" from IORR.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 7, 2015 00:42

Tops
LongBeachArena72

"100 Years Ago," though, I found completely bonkers. What was this clavinet bullshit?

Clavinet Bullshit!!!??? What? It's a funky beauty.....

Love the psychadelic atmosphere of GHS. So much better than the average "rocktunes" from IORR.

Yes thumbs up

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 03:18

kleermaker
Here is 'number 5', the Mannheim live version from the European tour 1973 (the audio quality is ... remarkable):

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you !

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home