Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Mick solo record?
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:23

As some of you may know I have been fascinated by Mick vs Keith for a few weeks now. (Wrote a long thing on the two opposing camps over at EOMS--"Mick and Keith: Who's Fighting and What For?"--in case you feel like wading through it.)

Quick question for you IORRians. Let's suppose that Mick were releasing a solo album in a few weeks. Suppose also that a few tracks had "leaked" and that those of you who dig Mick's solo work (are there any here?) thought they were the bee's knees. (In other words, more like The Red Devils stuff and less like Primitive Cool.)

Given the above, what do you imagine the tenor of the discussions about that record might be at IORR? Would it be hotly anticipated? Would it be resented? Would it spell the potential end of the band in a way that a Keith solo record wouldn't? Would it be applauded because Mick was finally getting the oppty to express himself creatively outside the yoke of The Stones?

Re: New Mick solo record?
Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:54

In this board,i think the Keithcamp would trashed every single note Jagger can come up with.Lot,s of this camp alsow trashed Wandering Spirit.

Date: September 4, 2015 20:08

harlem shuffle
In this board,i think the Keithcamp would trashed every single note Jagger can come up with.Lot,s of this camp alsow trashed Wandering Spirit.

I've never heard that. GITD got mixed reviews here when it came out, but it was a popular thread. Everybody liked some songs.

Too bad the IORR server crashed in 2005, and the older threads got deleted...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 22:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:15

I think you can find here some people who would always trash a Keith album and those who would always trash a Mick album. But, I think that they are a small number. Most IORRians would try to be objective in their opinion of the respective albums, even if they perferred Mick's solo output over Keith's and vice versa. I also think most would welcome an album from Mick as much as most here are welcoming Keith's new album. Of course, what is most wanted is a new Stones album. And I think you like to stir up trouble, LongBeach...grinning smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:20

would a mick solo album be welcomed? if the songs were good. and i think the same with keith.

i remember the excitement and anticipation of mick's first solo album coming out, and the disappointment when hearing it, but continuing to hope it would be good. ok the first single isn't so good... what about the next... also not good... what about the rest of the album? ugh.

with the second album, i was a little more wary, but let's face it, let's work was and is an absolute disaster. i suppose that is when i got disillusioned with him as a solo artist. throwaway was not much better. my roommate in college (and yes and genesis fan!) actually bought primitive cool before i did and we listened to it together, it was pretty awful.

and then there was the contrast of "talk is cheap" when it came out shortly after.
that is the point where it became very clear that keith was a much bigger force in the stones' success than had otherwise been apparent. the contrast between the risks taken, the quality of songs written, the originality, and then timelessness was very apparent.

if mick releases a solo album i hope it's good. whatever they are doing with the stones as far as songwriting is not working and hasn't in a long time, so i see no reason not to experiment with other avenues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 20:27 by Turner68.

Date: September 4, 2015 20:44

latebloomer
I think you can find here some people who would always trash a Keith album and those who would always trash a Mick album. But, I think that they are a small number. Most IORRians would try to be objective in their opinion of the respective albums, even if they perferred Mick's solo output over Keith's and vice versa. I also think most would welcome an album from Mick as much as most here are welcoming Keith's new album. Of course, what is most wanted is a new Stones album. And I think you like to stir up trouble, LongBeach...grinning smiley

Truer words were never spoke, latebloomer!

Date: September 4, 2015 20:47

Turner68

if mick releases a solo album i hope it's good. whatever they are doing with the stones as far as songwriting is not working and hasn't in a long time, so i see no reason not to experiment with other avenues.

That's absolutely true. What do they have to lose? I think for many people the solo records can function as surrogates: since they are not capable any longer of delivering a satisfying Stones record, maybe one or the other of them can just provide a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:03

What would be great, imo is a Mick solo record with Keith guesting on a few songs or even producing the damn thing. I have always believed Mick has got some great songs but fails somewhat in the delivery because he may not have Keith's sensibilities when it comes to instrumentation and emotional delivery of the goods.

But even without Keith, I think a similar more rootsy, guitar based record from Mick would be welcomed here with open arms. A record with pop star guests and modern pop-like production, not so much.

I also think Mick is probably very different than Keith is his musical tastes these days, embracing new music where Keith is still stuck in the roots music that moved him back in the 60's. Looking at the music they have both listened to in the last year would tell the story.

In summary, what music moves Keith these days is more likely to move Stones fans than what moves Mick and that difference would surely be noticeable on solo records.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:13

I think SHE'S THE BOSS and PRIMITIVE COOL suck. But there are some good tunes on both, the latter more so.

So trashing something isn't necessarily anti-fan, it's just realistic. Consider DIRTY WORK. The only way that LP ascended above the bottom of the toilet tank was Mick's Let's Work.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:43

To each his own realitysmiling smiley
Dirty Work is a great Stones-record, start to finish, maybe with the exception of Back To Zero, which is nevertheless better than most of Mick´s solo-songs.

Goddess In The Doorway sucks maybe even more than She´s The Boss & Primitive Cool. It has exactly two songs worth listening to, God Gave Me Everything & Lucky Day.

Good tunes on She´s The Boss: Just Another Night & Lonely At The Top. But you have to be in good mood to bear the production with all that keyboard-machinery-stuff.

Good tunes on Primitive Cool: Shoot Off Your Mouth, No Peace For The Wicked and (maybe) Party Doll.

With his recent solo-works not being successful, I dont believe Mick will ever record another solo-album. He is 72 now, he cant reach younger audiences anymore (last time he tried with an full album of his own he was 15 years younger than now and it didn´t work) and the Stones-fans usually dont like his albums. So what he is going to do? Recording a new Stones-album or (musicaly) do nothing at all...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2015 00:10

Turner68
would a mick solo album be welcomed? if the songs were good.
Agreed.thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2015 01:30

Naturalust
What would be great, imo is a Mick solo record with Keith guesting on a few songs or even producing the damn thing. I have always believed Mick has got some great songs but fails somewhat in the delivery because he may not have Keith's sensibilities when it comes to instrumentation and emotional delivery of the goods.

But even without Keith, I think a similar more rootsy, guitar based record from Mick would be welcomed here with open arms. A record with pop star guests and modern pop-like production, not so much.

I also think Mick is probably very different than Keith is his musical tastes these days, embracing new music where Keith is still stuck in the roots music that moved him back in the 60's. Looking at the music they have both listened to in the last year would tell the story.

In summary, what music moves Keith these days is more likely to move Stones fans than what moves Mick and that difference would surely be noticeable on solo records.

I think that's right to an extent. There are a fairly conservative group of stones fans that don't want to hear 'new' styles, just variations on previous styles. I remember a lot of complaints when Miss You and Emotional Rescue hit the airwaves...I think they've stood the test of time and most (but not all) stones fans accept these now.

What that generally means that Keith is more widely accepted amongst Stones fans because he generally sticks to the script. Mick tries to go off script, sometimes with marvelous results, but not always. There's the risk of looking foolish but I think it's worth it to try different things.

I liked the Superheavy album, but the vitriol it received around here was ridiculous. Hey, I find Main Offender tired and meandering, but I don't go out of my way to slag it (see what I just did there?!).

Anyway, what you say about MJ putting out a rootsy guitar based solo album is probably true...it would be welcomed with open arms. But then why not just put out a Stones album

He doesn't need to find new musicians to do that.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2015 02:18

HMS
To each his own realitysmiling smiley
Dirty Work is a great Stones-record, start to finish, maybe with the exception of Back To Zero, which is nevertheless better than most of Mick´s solo-songs.

Goddess In The Doorway sucks maybe even more than She´s The Boss & Primitive Cool. It has exactly two songs worth listening to, God Gave Me Everything & Lucky Day.

Good tunes on She´s The Boss: Just Another Night & Lonely At The Top. But you have to be in good mood to bear the production with all that keyboard-machinery-stuff.

Good tunes on Primitive Cool: Shoot Off Your Mouth, No Peace For The Wicked and (maybe) Party Doll.

With his recent solo-works not being successful, I dont believe Mick will ever record another solo-album. He is 72 now, he cant reach younger audiences anymore (last time he tried with an full album of his own he was 15 years younger than now and it didn´t work) and the Stones-fans usually dont like his albums. So what he is going to do? Recording a new Stones-album or (musicaly) do nothing at all...

You make sense on some things but then you love DIRTY WORK. The world is full of things that don't make sense and you are one of them. GODDESS blows DIRTY WORK away. Just the single blows DIRTY WORK away.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: September 5, 2015 02:54

wow - so hard on Jagger's solo stuff - I don't agree:

my list of best songs from his solo albums:

She's The Boss: Lonely At The Top • Hard Woman • Lucky In Love • She's The Boss

Primitive Cool: Throwaway • Say you Will • Kow Tow • Party Doll • War Baby

Wandering Spirit: Don't Tear Me Up • Evening Gown • Mother Of A Man • Hang On To Me Tonight • Angel In My Heart

Goddess In The Doorway: Visions Of Paradise • Dancing In The Starlight • God Gave Me Everything • Hide Away • Don't Call Me Up • Too Far Gone • Brand New Set Of Rules

Best Solo Song of All: Evening Gown or Don't Call Me Up

Posted by: skep8 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 03:23

"Throwaway" was easily Jagger's best solo recording (with lead guitar by JEFF BECK), and the only one that could compare to the Stones' stuff, other than his obscure b-side "I'm Ringing" (which also featured Jeff Beck on lead guitar).

Too bad he killed its chances on the singles charts by releasing the dismal "Let's Work" first (described as a song that Ronnie Reagan would sing to Nancy).

Nonsensically, neither of these powerful singles appears on the so called "Very Best of Mick Jagger", but "Let's Work" is there... go figure.

Date: September 5, 2015 06:25

I agree - Let's Work single handedly buried the album. I don't think anyone (radio etc) gave the album a shot after hearing Let's Work. I''m not a fan of Sweet Thing either and I was worried that song would have a similar effect on Wandering Spirit

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 5, 2015 06:33

Wow. I didn't remember Throwaway and just watched that video. I don't mean to argue, but that was hideous. Casanova/bossa nova? Even the guitar solo was disappointing. Yuck. And the imitation of other popular artists of the time, most especially Prince.

I'm not a fan of Dirty Work, but I'd almost listen to it again after seeing Throwaway. I can see why Mick had to go back to Keith.

Well, to each his or her own.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 06:57

bam
Wow. I didn't remember Throwaway and just watched that video. I don't mean to argue, but that was hideous. Casanova/bossa nova? Even the guitar solo was disappointing. Yuck. And the imitation of other popular artists of the time, most especially Prince.

I'm not a fan of Dirty Work, but I'd almost listen to it again after seeing Throwaway. I can see why Mick had to go back to Keith.

Well, to each his or her own.

no argument. you captured it exactly right.

Date: September 5, 2015 07:21

different strokes - I really liked and still like Throwaway....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2015 08:17

kammpberg

the Casanova/bossa nova line was pretty bad though, you have to at least admit that.

Posted by: FickyStingers ()
Date: September 5, 2015 08:36

One of my favorites from the Goddess in the Doorway era was the B-Side "BLUE"
I love that one...and lots else form Mick (including his lead vocals on SUPERHEAVY)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 5, 2015 10:17

Mick's solo record? Only if he writes songs as he did for Wandering Spirit. No more album ala Goddess please.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 5, 2015 10:31

latebloomer
I also think most would welcome an album from Mick as much as most here are welcoming Keith's new album. Of course, what is most wanted is a new Stones album

Well said

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 5, 2015 10:36

harlem shuffle
Lot,s of this camp alsow trashed Wandering Spirit.

No, you are mistaken. Those were Barry Manilow fans.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 5, 2015 11:59

Well another Wandering Spirit/like album would be great.
On the other hand, maybe he could release his sessions with the Red Deviils !!!
Jeroen

Date: September 5, 2015 12:00

kammpberg

Not bad song, but unfortunately very mainstream-poppy arranged/produced. Like all of PC, it´s all radio-pop...

Date: September 5, 2015 12:08

kammpberg
wow - so hard on Jagger's solo stuff - I don't agree:

my list of best songs from his solo albums:

She's The Boss: Lonely At The Top • Hard Woman • Lucky In Love • She's The Boss

Primitive Cool: Throwaway • Say you Will • Kow Tow • Party Doll • War Baby

Wandering Spirit: Don't Tear Me Up • Evening Gown • Mother Of A Man • Hang On To Me Tonight • Angel In My Heart

Goddess In The Doorway: Visions Of Paradise • Dancing In The Starlight • God Gave Me Everything • Hide Away • Don't Call Me Up • Too Far Gone • Brand New Set Of Rules

Best Solo Song of All: Evening Gown or Don't Call Me Up

Evening gown is great indeed.
Hard Woman is cheesy. I dont know who Mick is trying to imitate here, but it doesn´t work.
The ballads on Goddess sound all the same, more or less. And they´re boooooooring (yawn).

The b-sides (Blue/If Things Have Been Different) are not bad...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-05 12:10 by HMS.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 5, 2015 12:18

People here are talking about 'taking chances'.
To me it's obvious that it's Jagger taking chances on his solo records, while Keith is playing it safe. Jagger do at least TRY to make something different that's not sounding like The Stones all the time. The quality of it, however, is up for discussion, but we can thank him for exploring other territories that also put The Stones on the map and reasoned their existence for having a carrer for over fifty years.
Keith, however, are not taking any chances at all. Granted, he is the main reason why The Stones sounds like they do. But to claim he is taking chances and exploring new territories with his solo records, is hilarious. He sounds like expected, with the Vinos and playing fine songs, but they could have just as easily have fitted with The Stones.
And while we are at it: Of the 4 new songs presented from the new record, Trouble and Robbed Blind are nice songs. Amnesia and Substantial Dammage are not songs at all, but grooves with grumble. That some people prefer tracks like these, to Jagger's fully realised songs, is beyond me.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 5, 2015 14:09

LongBeachArena72
As some of you may know I have been fascinated by Mick vs Keith for a few weeks now. (Wrote a long thing on the two opposing camps over at EOMS--"Mick and Keith: Who's Fighting and What For?"--in case you feel like wading through it.)

Quick question for you IORRians. Let's suppose that Mick were releasing a solo album in a few weeks. Suppose also that a few tracks had "leaked" and that those of you who dig Mick's solo work (are there any here?) thought they were the bee's knees. (In other words, more like The Red Devils stuff and less like Primitive Cool.)

Given the above, what do you imagine the tenor of the discussions about that record might be at IORR? Would it be hotly anticipated? Would it be resented? Would it spell the potential end of the band in a way that a Keith solo record wouldn't? Would it be applauded because Mick was finally getting the oppty to express himself creatively outside the yoke of The Stones?

Its a good question LongBeachArena, one i have been asking myself for a while
My personal view is any Mick Jagger album, has to be better than no Mick Jagger album
I would think that now Mick has learn't from his solo mistakes of the past
he would deliver a excellent album now, as he has matured, he has realised his enormous strengths within himself creatively, therefore no longer needing to follow trends and fashions musically.
He does need to show the world he does not have writers block
I feel curious about the absence of an album for so long
I assumed Keith had writers block too, but that thought has been laid to rest with Crosseyed Heart
So come on Mick bring it on, show us what you got !!
Keith has clearly laid the gauntlet down

It certainly would not spell the end of the band
Too much lovely money to be made
Mick cant make money solo .
Period..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-05 14:12 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 5, 2015 14:33

Jagger albums are good,lot of good tracks as albums go
Wandering spirt is a masterpiece one of the best solo and love talk is cheap too masterpiece,after all its rock-roll.
Love goddess in the doorway, keith always put jagger down whatever he does.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home