Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT:Frank Sinatra
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 13, 2015 01:56

This has to be one of the most enjoyable threads i ever read. Thanks everyone.

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: December 13, 2015 02:19

Fred, Frank call me anything but late for dinner. :-D
No problem Naturalust, What I can share I will.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 02:29

lucifrshmr
Fred, Frank call me anything but late for dinner. :-D
No problem Naturalust, What I can share I will.

hey this thread is about Frank Sinatra - Naturalist you can call me Frank too! out of respect to Francis Albert.

Date: December 13, 2015 02:33

No thread in tribute to Mr. Sinatra is complete without this clip of the Sopranos discussing famous italians, where Ole Blue Eyes takes pole position in Tony's eyes. Fred, I feel confident you'll enjoy (if you haven't already seen).

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-13 02:40 by Turner68.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 13, 2015 04:33

lucifrshmr
Nice Treaclefingers!

thx! BTW, it would have been Frank's 100th birthday today!

Date: December 13, 2015 06:19

Yes, and I believe he would have been sharp as a tack had he survived.
And just as mean. Maybe meaner.

Did anyone get the music from Dropbox? You have to play at least one Frank song for his birthday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-13 06:21 by lucifrshmr.

Date: December 13, 2015 16:01

And just one more thing concerning Mr. Sinatra. Read columnist George Will's post "An unadjusted man: The Frank Sinatra we remember".
It captures everything I have been trying to say here. Only better because he can write and express himself much better than me. He's a pro.

And for your info, I think Ya-Ya's is the greatest live album ever in R&R. And I would put it up against any other music style. And Sinatra at the Sands is my 2nd pick right behind Ya-Ya's.
Give it a try guys, I gave it to you free, listen and give it a chance. Please.
And I saw a few people interested in Mr. Sinatra in the beginning of this thread. I have a good boot selection of Frank, email me. I love to share my music.
That is how I met my buddy Peter DeVreese on this board in 1998. I called him in Belgium when his daughter Elizabeth was born 16 years ago and he never forgot it.

Fred
May you live to be one hundred, and may my voice be the last thing you hear.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-14 05:21 by lucifrshmr.

Date: December 14, 2015 14:50

Alright, the last story for me on this thread. Dinner with the crew.
As I said, I was lucky to have a friend Seth who got IN. Shelley also let my friend have VIP passes to some of the shows too, and Chicago was one of them. We were behind the stage in the VIP area when we met the limo driver. A thin black kid who was really nice. We got their late opening night and the VIP area only has soda, booze and snacks, like pretzels, chips and the like. Well we were hungry because we were running so much behind that day we didn’t stop for dinner. After talking a few minutes the limo driver says he knows where we can get some real food, and he takes us to the area where the crew eats. It was so cool, some of the crew gave me and my friend the ‘stink-eye’, but almost everyone else was very friendly. And the food, the food was fantastic. Nice pieces of steak in a fabulous wine sauce, nice veggies,a really good rice dish, a terrific salad bar and much more. It wasn’t just some slop for the crew. The Stones really treat the people behind the stage well, or at least they did. And it made me feel good about them that they would do that . Make sure the people doing all the hard work were taken care of.
The story about getting a chance to ride in one of the limos is alright, but this thread is about Mr. Sinatra not me, so I beg your forgivness but that will have to wait till we meet face to face.

Fred

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 14, 2015 15:36

lucifrshmr
The Stones really treat the people behind the stage well..but this thread is about Mr. Sinatra not me

So I apologoze in advance if I misunderstood.

You keep saying that you have all these stories about Sinatra, and then you keep talking about the Stones or Sessler or a limo driver. Did I miss it in this thread?

Date: December 14, 2015 15:46

I'm sorry Koen about the Sinatra stories. I would have more if my Mom were still here. That's why I said "last story" for me.
More Frank talk is needed.
How about comparing Ya-Ya's to At The Sands.
That way we can talk about both subjects.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-14 20:18 by lucifrshmr.

Date: December 14, 2015 22:49

Forget about Frank's voice on the Sands, and forget the Rolling Stones are on Ya-Ya's and just concentrate on the music.
A small comparison that is JMHO.

Sands------ Ya-Ya’s

All of me------ Gimme Shelter
One For My Baby------ Love In Vain
Makin’ Whoopee------ Little Queenie
Come Fly With Me------ Jumping Jack Flash
Monologue------ “I just busted a button…..”

No overdubs------- Proven overdubs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-14 22:50 by lucifrshmr.

Date: December 14, 2015 23:14

lucifrshmr
Forget about Frank's voice on the Sands, and forget the Rolling Stones are on Ya-Ya's and just concentrate on the music.
A small comparison that is JMHO.

Sands------ Ya-Ya’s

All of me------ Gimme Shelter
One For My Baby------ Love In Vain
Makin’ Whoopee------ Little Queenie
Come Fly With Me------ Jumping Jack Flash
Monologue------ “I just busted a button…..”

No overdubs------- Proven overdubs

Fred, they are just completely different musical forms, so I struggle to compare. When we are having a *dinner party* we will put on Sinatra at the Sands. When when are having a *party* we will put on the Rolling Stones.

To each his or her own; Sinatra at the Sands is a true classic, one I have listened to over and over. For me, however, Ya Ya's is the finest rock-n-roll music money can buy.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 14, 2015 23:31

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2015 00:00

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 15, 2015 00:05

lucifrshmr
I'm sorry Koen about the Sinatra stories.

No worries my Friend.

Date: December 15, 2015 00:14

Turner68, yes they are waaay different musical forms but the basics are there. Listen to the rhythm, the bass lines, the crack of the snare and I'm talking about the Count Basie band. The Stones are the same, that's why I love them so much. IMHO of course all I have said.

Date: December 15, 2015 02:11

lucifrshmr
Turner68, yes they are waaay different musical forms but the basics are there. Listen to the rhythm, the bass lines, the crack of the snare and I'm talking about the Count Basie band. The Stones are the same, that's why I love them so much. IMHO of course all I have said.

smileys with beer

Date: December 15, 2015 14:19

Rockman, that photo is great. I would guess early or middle 50's?
Is that Eva, it looks like her?

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: December 16, 2015 00:34

I have started to delve into all this Rat Pack music as well as jazz and vintage lounge and a lot of it is quite cool. A lot of fun and a nice break from my usual rock and roll fix.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2015 23:26

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 17 December 2015

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 21, 2015 07:25

In the US on PBS there was a special on Frank Sinatra hosted by Seth McFarlane (yes that Seth McFarlane of Ted and family Guy fame) that featured Sting, Bernedette Peters, Christina Agueleira (sic) among others. It was a very well done special and proof of Sinatra's lasting influence and talent. McFarlane makes the case that Sinatra's Capitol Records run is the greatest string of albums in music. I think this would be hard to argue with. Some great music here, and it is Sinatra's (and his arrangers like Nelson Riddle and Billy May) versions that are the definitive versions of standards like I've Got You Under My Skin, I Get A Kick Out of You, One for My Baby, and others.
I recently dug out the Sinatra set The Complete Capitol Singles collection and came across a song 'two hearts, Two Kisses" that has Sinatra sounding totally different than he ever would. The song is a rollicking rhythm and blues styled number totally in step with the early rock and roll sound. Worth checking out for its uniqueness.
I think Sinatra's ability to make every song he sang sound heartfelt was his greatest asset. When he sang One for My baby, you get the scene of a man sitting alone at a bar, partly drunk and longing for a love that will never return. On an upbeat number like I've Got the World on a string, there is an air of confidence that can't be beat.
Regardless of what Sinatra may have been like in his personal life (rather that be a generous person who apparently liked to cook for his guests, or a mean SOcool smiley he was one of (if not) the most talented artists of the 20th Century.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 21, 2015 21:10

I'm loaded with Sinatra songs for this Christmas...

2 1 2 0

Date: December 21, 2015 22:43

Me too Come On - got a pandora christmas music station and Frank comes on every 45 minutes or so :-)

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 21, 2015 23:02

Happy Jack
Regardless of what Sinatra may have been like in his personal life (rather that be a generous person who apparently liked to cook for his guests, or a mean SOcool smiley he was one of (if not) the most talented artists of the 20th Century.

He could shift from the generous person to the mean SOB within minutes. He suffered from manic depression all of his life. One had to be very careful how to handle him. As an artist he was unique - songs I usually dont like (all this schmaltzy stuff) are pleasing when sung by Sinatra.

Date: December 22, 2015 00:25

He could shift from the generous person to the mean SOB within minutes. He suffered from manic depression all of his life. One had to be very careful how to handle him.

And remember some of the people who felt his wrath deserved it.
Like Mick, like Keith, it sometimes was not easy being”FRANK SINATRA”.

I am so glad other folks here enjoy this music as much as I do, it’s good stuff.

Again I want to share, and give back to the board that has helped me with my Stones collection over the years.
This the famous recording of the Oakland 1968 concert. Years ago this was only circulating among collectors and is one of his stand out shows and also because he caught some slack over the occasion. A fund raiser for the Democratic Presidential candidate Hubert Humphrey, one of 6 The Chairman would perform.
And he does my favorite song by him, "I Have Dreamed". The song is beautiful, and he gets to use his talent. Especially the last note. The studio version is much better and more powerful, get it if you can.

Ladies and Gentlemen Mr Frank Sinatra:

[www.dropbox.com]

Fred
May you live to be one hundred, and may my voice be the last thing you hear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-22 00:38 by lucifrshmr.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1564
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home