Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

iggy and the stooges
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: August 7, 2005 12:26

Saw yesterday iggy and the stooges in belgium and they still rocks as the stones with the same age.
keep on rockin, old guys!!

Re: iggy and the stooges
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 7, 2005 13:46

I saw them too yesterday. One of the most boring cliché performances I ever witnessed.

I think Stooges fans will like it, but I never did. And for some reason I really can't stand Iggy Pop. Probably because of some stories I heard about him.

His best work is with David Bowie. That's explains it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-07 13:47 by BowieStone.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 7, 2005 16:13

"His best work is with David Bowie. That's explains it all"

that's one of the daftest things i've ever read

Date: August 7, 2005 16:27

"I think Stooges fans will like it, but I never did"

why did you go than to the gig?
the stooges made history in the rockworld even as the stones

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 7, 2005 20:00

what did you read that you didnt like? They are a few years younger than the Stones (the debut came out in '69, Ig is 58),all 3 studio albums are classic, & the RCA/Bowie produced stuff (The Idiot especially) is way ahead of its time...The latter day albums (except 1988's Instinct) is not very good, but Iggy is as intense a performer as I've ever seen (especially twice in '77! - jaw-droppingly transcendent) -

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 7, 2005 20:09

Living in Michigan and Ohio in the late '60s and early '70s one had ample opportunity to see the Stooges. For the longest time I though ALL rock and rollers threw bottles of wine into the audience, smeared their bodies with peanut butter and hamburger, cut their chests w/ glass and knocked themselves out leaping from the stage.

I saw them again a couple years ago near Detroit and am pleased to report that animal passion was still intact.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 7, 2005 20:18

So you don't like Iggy but you went to the gig anyway & didn't like it? What a surprise.

Iggy is still one of the best live performances ever. Check out the live Detroit DVD from about 2 years ago. It is chaotic, angst filled & teeters on the edge of riot. It is outstanding!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 21:13

The Ig-- one of my all-time favorites. I still get chills when I hear his blood-curdling scream at the beginning of Funhouse's "TV Eye".

Also, I love his sense of humor: on American Caesar, just before "Loue Louie", he says, "And now...the news" LOL

Date: August 7, 2005 22:31

It wasn't his gig. It was a festival (Lokerse Feesten). I went especially for him, cause it's only €10 and it's only a few kilometers from where I live.

The things I read that I don't like is that he thinks he's the number 1 of all time. Some kind of messiah too. He once performed at Pukkelpop (in Belgium) and his contract had the same things in it as a contract for Mariah Carey... everybody had to stay away from him... nobody was allowed in the same hall where he was. Everybody always had to stay a couple of meters away from him.

He once said that it was a ridiculous attempt from Bowie to form Tin Machine. It was an aweful attempt to be one of the boys, while he could never be one of the boys (Iggy thinks he is the center of everything and everybody wants to be with him). He always places himself higher than Bowie. I think that's ridiculous (look at my nick, you can imagine my frustraton). Every great succes Iggy had, had something to do with Bowie (besides Candy). When Iggy Pop was down and out, Bowie helped him out.

I'm glad someone like Lou Reed is around when the three meet (Bowie, Reed & Pop). David says Lou always has to say the opposite of Iggy. Go Lou!

And I really think the guy has no talent. Some great songs (all of them co-written or produced by Bowie and that's it).

Didn't mean to offend the fans. I just don't hear it. To me the guy is a fake poser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-07 22:41 by BowieStone.

Date: August 7, 2005 22:49

Well, meaning no offence at all, but he is perhaps the most intense performer I've ever seen - and I love Jagger, but Mick has a fascination w/ distance, is always aware of the various ironies in what he's doing. Iggy is as primal as it gets - not dumb, but pure existential humanity , simultaneously trapped in & transcending the cage/body. He has always thanked Bowie for helping him out in '77, but in truth Bowie never was one of the boys, and always wanted to be Iggy (much the way on some level MJ wanted to be KR) or have that capacity for direct connection to the inner id. Maybe you saw an uninspired performance.

Date: August 7, 2005 22:50

You can have your opinion...Mine is that yours is absurd.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 22:51

Hey BowieStone

Your name gives you away, its the opposite of what you say, a lot of the best ideas Bowie ever got he stole from Iggy. Watch the film Velvet Goldmine, this parodies their relationship very well.
I love the line where the Bowie character when watching Iggy says "I wish i'd thougt of that" then his girlfreind says "Oh you will,you will"

No songs, I have to laugh,the whole 2005 set is from Stooges/Funhouse, which Bowie had nothing to do with (he was still singing folk music at the time).

The poser is Bowie the real thing is Iggy

Date: August 7, 2005 23:01

Well stated.

Date: August 7, 2005 23:03

Exactly humanriff- and Bowie would, I think, agree, as he's pretty self-aware.

Date: August 7, 2005 23:03

Bowie ofcourse is a poser, that's his act. The amazing thing about David is that he's listening to everything and makes it his own. Especially not 'en-vogue'-music and to make it popular (Low: who would have thought that something like that could sell). That is a gift that nobody else has. He's one of the most creative artists... so musically definitely not a poser.

Iggy always gives me the feeling that he thinks he invented it all. I'm not denying that David wasn't influenced by Iggy. But definitely also the other way around.

To be perfectly honest with you... I never saw Iggy Pop in Davids act. What I did see was a lot of Marc Bolan and some Mick Jagger.

What musical ideas did David get from Iggy? Beats me.

Btw. I knew what Iggy played. I know it was all Stooges. Have I said I liked what I saw and heard? The opposite.
1969/1970 (when those Stooges albums were released): Bowie made Man of Words/Man of Music (Space Oddity) & The Man who Sold the world. It wasn't his pure folk period anymore.

Date: August 7, 2005 23:17

The Man who Sold the World - his only good album.

Date: August 7, 2005 23:19

sdstonesguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Man who Sold the World - his only good album.

You must be joking, mate!

Date: August 7, 2005 23:21

i don't recall Bowie having anything to do with the two greatest Iggy/Stooges albums of ALL time

The Stooges & Funhouse

those are the ONLY stooges albums. Raw Power doesn't even count as a real Stooges album for the obvious reasons

Date: August 7, 2005 23:23

Bowie...you're right...it is an ok album at best. No good albums.

Date: August 7, 2005 23:24

And I don't like the stooges. Have I said I liked the first two stooges albums?

Bowies input was huge on some albums, and therefore I can appreciate them more. Bowies approach to music is something I like way better than Iggys.

This is only my opinion. I don't think it should be a law to not like Iggy Pop. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-07 23:25 by BowieStone.

Date: August 7, 2005 23:25

sdstonesguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bowie...you're right...it is an ok album at best.
> No good albums.

That's more like it.

Date: August 7, 2005 23:29

Really, I can dig that you are into Bowie...but clearly it is getting folks hot to hear you put down the Rock Iguana. Iggy & The Stooges are a very special band & to hear any slights on them is pure fightin' words (well, not really).

Date: August 7, 2005 23:31

Wouldn't it be a boring forum if everyone thought the same about everything.

Than we could only say:

- The Stones are great

- Yes, they are

- I think so too

- Me too

- I agree

- I agree too

To hear different opinions that's why some of us are here.

Date: August 8, 2005 00:34

C'mon man...keep up...that's not what I'm saying. It's just being a jerk if someone posts "I really love AC/DC" & your reply is "they suck ass & are just followers of David Bowie". Not only are you incorrect, you are being unpleasant. If you feel these 2 things add to the forum, than I guess we just view the world differently.

Date: August 8, 2005 02:21

can i just say Tin Machine ?

yawning smiley)

nothing more needs to be said

Date: August 8, 2005 11:28

I replied because I also was there at the concert. I wouldn't have replied if I wasn't.
Who else was there? Nobody that replied. So, I had the right to give my opinion about it. More than anybody.

Where you there?

And i didn't say Iggy was a follower of Bowie. I said I think the only good songs Iggy has are songs co-written or produced by Bowie. I never said Iggy was Davids follower. Please attack me for valid reasons.

btw... AC/DC rules

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-08 11:32 by BowieStone.

Date: August 8, 2005 18:55

"...I went especially for him, cause it's only €10 and it's only a few kilometers from where I live..."

If there is a festival a few kilometers from my home with bands that i don't like in wont go even it's for free.

iggy and jagger;the 2 best live performers of the world!!!!!

Date: August 8, 2005 21:11

I wanted to see him. He's a big name. I wanted to give him a chance.
Is that something I need someones approval for?

Date: August 8, 2005 21:16

I don't approve of your opinion.

Date: August 8, 2005 21:18

You just don't agree with me. Like I do not agree with you.
I see no harm in that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home