Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Most popular Stones songs on spotify
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 25, 2015 08:08

This link has some cool tools for seeing what the most popular songs have been on Spotify. [poly-graph.co]

One can see that the most popular song from the 1990s is, by far, Smells Like Teen Spirit.

The Stones have the most popular song from the the 1960s and it is....drum roll.... Paint it, Black.

Start Me Up is the Stones 2nd most played song on Spotify after PIB.

(The Beatles are not on Spotify).

It's interesting that 2 of the songs in the top 5, Paint it Black and Angie, are not 'warhorses'. 5 of the top 15 have Mick Taylor on them, 7 have Brian Jones

The list only includes songs that originally charted on Billboard; this explains "Gimme Shelter"'s absence. SFTD is included because it charted in 2003.

Here are the most played Stones songs on Spotify:

Paint It Black — Rolling Stones The, 1966
Sympathy For The Devil — Rolling Stones The, 1968
Start Me Up — Rolling Stones The, 1981
Angie — Rolling Stones The, 1973
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction — Rolling Stones The, 1965
Brown Sugar — Rolling Stones The, 1971
Beast Of Burden — Rolling Stones The, 1978
Wild Horses — Rolling Stones The, 1971
You Can't Always Get What You Want — Rolling Stones The, 1969
Jumpin' Jack Flash — Rolling Stones The, 1968
Miss You — Rolling Stones The, 1978
Honky Tonk Women — Rolling Stones The, 1969
Ruby Tuesday — Rolling Stones The, 1967
Tumbling Dice — Rolling Stones The, 1972
Time Is On My Side — Rolling Stones The, 1964

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 08:12 by Turner68.

Re: Most popular Stones songs on spotify
Date: August 25, 2015 08:27

Interesting. I think PIB tops the iTunes list, too, but SMU and Angie weren't in their top 5, if memory serves.

Date: August 25, 2015 09:00

DandelionPowderman
Interesting. I think PIB tops the iTunes list, too, but SMU and Angie weren't in their top 5, if memory serves.

That's my recollection as well. I remember beast of burden being surprisingly high on iTunes.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 25, 2015 09:02

Interesting stuff, indeed. Like the site argues, this is the way to measure the lasting impact of the songs outside of their 'heyday'.

If we suggest that the audience using spotify is relatively young, at least compared to the people who buy/bought physical items, the Stones made the most lasting impact with those dark masterpieces of the 60's, starting with "Paint It Black", together with "Sympathy" For The Devil" (and "Gimme Shelter" surely would be there, if it would be counted, like in iTunes). Then we have the usual suspects, even though the 'latter day' signature songs, "Start Me Up", and "Angie" beat "Satisfaction" and "Brown Sugar", which might surprise many... I am not that surprised: it is those very songs I find 'casual' fans strongly familiar with/interested in.

The only songs that I find surprisingly popular are "Beast of Burden" (beating easily many 'war horses', a'la JJF, HTW), and "Time Is On My Side". Ironically, the single B-side song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" seems to be nowadays more memorable than its A-side "Honky Tonk Women"...

- Doxa

Posted by: balders ()
Date: August 25, 2015 09:25

I was recently at a 50th birthday party attended by four generations and a mid twenties chap asked me to name a good song. I chose brown sugar which he played on his smartphone then said " wow Ive never heard that one."

What a great life of musical discovery these young uns have ahead of them!

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: August 25, 2015 10:38

Slightly off topic I wonder how much the band gets paid for their songs being played. I am thinking they would get paid a pittance. Does anyone out there know. I pay about 10 $ a month for spotify if I play a 1000 songs a month that's about 1 cent per song. After spotify takes their share I would be surprised if the band got more than 10% of that. So for a million plays the band could get $ 1000 . ? Maybe

Date: August 25, 2015 10:40

Anitapal82
Slightly off topic I wonder how much the band gets paid for their songs being played. I am thinking they would get paid a pittance. Does anyone out there know. I pay about 10 $ a month for spotify if I play a 1000 songs a month that's about 1 cent per song. After spotify takes their share I would be surprised if the band got more than 10% of that. So for a million plays the band could get $ 1000 . ? Maybe

between $0.006 and $0.0084 per stream.

so the 20 million plays of PIB has earned them about $150,000.

Date: August 25, 2015 10:48

Thanks turner 68 that's more than I thought, and ok if you can get someone to stream your song 20 million times. Not many can unfortunately, and music is very cheap for the consumer nowadays.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 25, 2015 10:51

Here's a more detailed answer to how much artists earn from various streaming sites:

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: August 25, 2015 10:55

Thanks Beast

Date: August 25, 2015 10:56

Beast
Here's a more detailed answer to how much artists earn from various streaming sites:

[www.theguardian.com]

good article. one of the things it points out is that the number i cited is how much the *label* gets. the act gets just a fraction of that. your original estimate was probably pretty good Anitapal82.

Date: August 25, 2015 11:54

It is a pitiful figure, even for the stones streaming millions of times ,most bands who used to get income from their back catalogue will have their income severely reduced. Still, for me, I am saving a fortune using spotify. And for stones fans it is all in there ( I should be a salesman for spotify). Even stones live 1965 from the Charlie is my darling box is in spotify. I was going to pay the $150 for it !

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 25, 2015 12:07

People are strange...
Jim Morrison

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 25, 2015 12:13

Turner68

5 of the top 15 have Mick Taylor on them, 7 have Brian Jones

I was immediately wondering when someone would bring that up... smoking smiley

Date: August 25, 2015 15:12

It's interesting that 2 of the songs in the top 5, Paint it Black and Angie, are not 'warhorses'. 5 of the top 15 have Mick Taylor on them, 7 have Brian Jones

and all of them with Jagger-Richards-Watts-Wyman (no Darryl)

2 1 2 0

Date: August 25, 2015 15:44

Come On

No Wyman on JJF, SFTD and TD.

Date: August 25, 2015 16:14

DandelionPowderman
Come On

He is with, but maybe not exactly on bass...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: August 25, 2015 16:16

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Yeah, forgot the keyboard on JJF smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 25, 2015 16:51

DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Yeah, forgot the keyboard on JJF smiling smiley

So eager to write him off...

- Doxa

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: August 25, 2015 17:10

I think a contributing factor why Paint it Black is number one is because it was in the video game Guitar Hero 3. That game sold over 8 million copies, that's a lot of exposure of that song to a lot of teenagers at the time who probably had never heard it before. I remember that shortly after it came out back in 2008, Paint it Black became the number one Stones song on iTunes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home