Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The good 5 min
Posted by: johang ()
Date: August 6, 2005 09:15

I just had to much wine and listening to some old bootleg dvds and cds. There is always even in the worst years a reason why I keep interested in these guys. Just listen to Sparks from Miami 94, Let it Bleed from MSG 02, Slipping Tokyo 95 or Its all over now Hon 73 or Hand Of Fate knebworth 76 or Sympathy LA 75. This is when they rock, what else is there? Is it all over now or will they ever have an another good 5 minutes?

Re: The good 5 min
Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 6, 2005 14:25

Are there guitars in the mix of that Miami 94 dvd ,because i dont hear them,,i like the sparks from 94 oakland dvd,,the let it bleed from hampton 81 dvd ,,i like that Slippin Away From Japan 95 also ,,,the last tour on the live licks cds CYHMK is great,,also from that tour Dont Stop on the Bangalore dvd..My all time fav is all down the line from ladies & gents..their will be some more moments this tour im sure,,

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: August 6, 2005 14:37

For the love of christ - whats wrong with you people - we are talkin about the greatest band that has ever lived & you manage to dilute them into 5 minutes - please find another planet to live on.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 6, 2005 17:36

15 minutes of particular greatness...Beast of Burden, Waiting on a Friend and Let It Bleed from Hampton Rhodes in '81...(on tape it sounds like signals were crossed during the solo part of Let It Bleed but the song just grinds, chuggs, and flows along all in one until Woody starts his slide bit...wonderful...I wish they would "rhythym" parts one in a while...they sound like a well-oiled machine and it builds anticipation for the solo...)

Date: August 6, 2005 17:51

inopeng..u r so right,,thats my fav version of friend ,,,Ernie Watts got Saxophonist of the year in 81 in playboy ,,he was on johnny carson that year to ,,talkin about how cool the stones are to work with ,,man can that dude play a sax

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 7, 2005 05:32

Yes Ernie Watts sure can play! And his solo on Beast of Burden is cool too....

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: August 7, 2005 06:45

You hit the nail on the head, Ged Rambler.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Date: August 9, 2005 21:02

Listen Midnight Rambler-Argentina 95'

Posted by: KingBee ()
Date: August 9, 2005 22:18

What are these recordings Its all over now Hon 73 and Sympathy LA 75 you´ve mentioned? On what bootlegs can I find it?
And, by the way: Are they gonna play today or tomorrow in TO?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 9, 2005 22:28

inopeng Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Ernie Watts sure can play! And his solo on
> Beast of Burden is cool too....

I know Ernie Watts is a respected Sax man, but he is the reason I can't listen to boots from 81! To my ears, he is over the top. Way too much squawking sax. At least the horn section of the more recent shows is tasteful and doesn't overplay. I prefer Bobby Keyes anyday - he is more of a Rock-n-roller!

Bobby was only present for a few shows in 81 as I recall, was it a health issue? I know he was a bit sideways with the boys for a while after 73, did that continue during the '81-'82 tours?

Ross

Posted by: veronus ()
Date: August 9, 2005 22:48

Bobby did play in rotterdam in ,82 and so far as i know he was playing the hole ,82 european tour.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 10, 2005 00:08

Ross Wrote:
> inopeng Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > I know Ernie Watts is a respected Sax man, but he
> is the reason I can't listen to boots from 81! To
> my ears, he is over the top. Way too much
> squawking sax.

Wow - different strokes I guess. Watts' "squawking" is the hallmark trait of that great tour. His added touches were genius, IMO.

Date: August 10, 2005 00:24

some1 disliking ernie watts sax playin,,,,WOW,,,well, it takes all kinds to make a world...

Date: August 10, 2005 00:40

chippy Wrote:
> some1 disliking ernie watts sax
> playin,,,,WOW,,,well, it takes all kinds to make a
> world...

I don't dislike Ernie Watts sax playing at all. I have a couple of his albums (Long Ride Home? something like that) and he is quite good. I found his relentless soloing tedious on the '81 Stones tour. This is The Stones - those should be GUITAR solo's. Occasional horns are great, but a little of Ernie's soloing went a lonnnng way on that tour (IMO).

I know a lot of people liked EW on that tour, but I'm not alone in my disdain. This topic has been debated in threads gone by and as I recall people were fairly polarized.

We agree to disagree!

Ross

Date: August 10, 2005 00:53

i've heard folks say they didn't like his playing before - but I've never heard someone say before that it made the shows unlistenable. He doesn't play on every song, either.

Date: August 10, 2005 02:08

I was a bit harsh, not unlistenable, but I certainly preferred other tours, partly due to his presence. I am aware he is not on every tune, but there are too many sax solos where there should be guitar solos, and they aren't very inventive.

The biggest blasphemy to me was when MT returned for the KC show in '81, he was drowned out by the squawkster!

Hey, It's just personal taste. It's cool that you enjoy the 81 tour, it just happens to be about my LEAST favorite!

At least we agree on The Allman Brothers! smiling smiley

Ross

Date: August 10, 2005 02:10

Ross Wrote:
> >
> At least we agree on The Allman Brothers!
>
> Ross
>
>

Hey - I hear Ernie's joinin' up with ABB! :-)

I know what you mean regarding Ernie's playing and takin' away from soloing- but given that soloing ain't exactly either RW's or KR's forte, I rather enjoyed Ernie's playing...and it wasn't like RW or KR were laying out while he was playing. The whole ensemble just really sounds right to these ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-10 02:12 by T&A.

Date: August 10, 2005 02:42

Could u imagine Ernie Watts & Mick Taylor tradin licks on a stones tour,,talk about a Rock & Roll Fantasy

Date: August 10, 2005 03:39

chippy Wrote:
> Could u imagine Ernie Watts & Mick Taylor
> tradin licks on a stones tour,,talk about a Rock
> & Roll Fantasy

I would like to hear KEITH and Mick Taylor trading licks again...THAT is a rock & Roll fantasy!

Ross

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 10, 2005 05:57

Watts took over Beast of Burden on the 81 tour and ruined it. Richards driving guitar was absent and he started his noodling / posing crap. Listen to Beast from the 78 boots..........far superior.

Date: August 10, 2005 10:27

<Are there guitars in the mix of that Miami 94 dvd?>

Nothing wrong with the guitars in the mix on this official release? Great show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home