Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Small amps
Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: August 19, 2015 01:25

I am looking for a good small amp for using in a apartment. Not to loud.....till 5 watt, but with a nearly Stones sound....maybe with guitar effects or pedals.

Have anybody ideas?

Re: Small amps
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 19, 2015 01:36

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 19, 2015 01:42

5 Watts? Well you are limiting yourself quite a bit there because there are some great small amps with about 10-15 Watts that you miss out on.

I did hear a small Vox amp recently that sounded pretty good which might meet your description.

Good Luck!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 19, 2015 04:58

Go to a store and start playing a bunch of amps.

You may find 5 watts too loud for an apartment. Especially if going for some tube overdrive.

Date: August 19, 2015 06:12

You only need one Watt(s)...

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: August 19, 2015 12:19

Five watts of tube power in an apartment will make your neighbors (and family) go nuts. I have two five watts Bad Cat Mini Cat amps, can´t run them at home w/out a "power soak" if they shall distort at least a bit.
Can´t believe I write that, but: for living rooms (that do not belong to a ranch somewhere far out) go for a solid state amp, if you like the sound crunchy. Or keep the basics clean and get a nice overdrive pedal.
The "Stones-sound" has to come from your fingers and your playing style, maybe an open-g tuning helps.

cheers, Fillmore

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 19, 2015 12:22

Not tube but Yamaha THR the blues version: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 12:33 by terraplane.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 19, 2015 12:45

No amp (and speaker) will sound crunchy and fat when you turn the volume low enough not to disturb your neighbors. And you won´t get the right rocking feeling when playing quietly either.
So all I can suggest is to play with earphones. Or you play an acoutsic guitar. That can rock, too.

Date: August 19, 2015 12:52

I can recommend Smokey amps. You can attach it to your belt, and there is a line out channel if you wanna play through bigger speakers. You control the sound with the main volume on your guitar.

If you want distorted sound, just crank that volume up, but make sure that you have the amp inside the cover - or else it will sound like a hive of bees smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:15

Or maybe try an Vox AmPlug [www.voxamps.com]. You listen to it through your headphones, but you can also plug in your favorite MP3 player and play along with records.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:27

I quite like this Roland cube:

[www.sweetwater.com]

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 16:50

A 5 watt tube amp turned all the way up is still too loud for playing in an apartment. I mean, as long as you have to worry about the noise.

I tried several things (amps, using almost every amp simulation with my computer,...). You have to make a compromise. I ended up with a Vox AC 15. It has a master volume. You can get distorted sounds at a low lever. Sure it will sound better if you turn the knobs to eleven.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 19, 2015 16:50

I'd look at either the Fender Mustang amp line or the Vox Valvetronix series. Especially in an apartment situation.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 19, 2015 19:42

Fender Champ.

Or one of these:

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: August 20, 2015 00:09

for a small amp, I like the Fender Vibro Champ XD…5 watts, tube, lots of effects, and it can get nasty sounding…under a bill too so it's cheap…gave like $80 for the one I have...

Posted by: SJ9336JE ()
Date: August 20, 2015 00:26

the Vox A3 mini. Very small guy but phantastic sound. I like this one very much.

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 01:01

A wimpy 5 watts?

At Edith Grove Keith would get back from a gig - aqt 1am in the morning - and sometimes plug in a Vox AC30 at full blast

This is real STONES STYLE. ))

Date: August 20, 2015 01:08

JamesPhelge00
A wimpy 5 watts?

At Edith Grove Keith would get back from a gig - aqt 1am in the morning - and sometimes plug in a Vox AC30 at full blast

thumbs up

Posted by: SJ9336JE ()
Date: August 20, 2015 01:22

No honestly, try the VOX AC 3 Mini. you get very easily the Stones sound, and it has quite power for such a small one. I bought that one too for my flat and it works phantastically.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 12:58

[www.youtube.com]

I have one of these little Blackstar H1,one watt tube combo, excellent and you can get one around $100AU second han

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 20, 2015 15:30

I got a small Fender amp which is quite usable: Frontman 15G

But at home, I mostly use it only with headphones. Why? Because walls are thin and I have neighbours.

I also have the Line6 POD2 and the smaller Line6 PockedPOD by my side when I'm travelling... I like 'em and they have nice sounds implemented.

Of course, a real amp with turned on speakers is sounding better, but then, this way is a nice compromise.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: August 20, 2015 16:28

I've got a little Fender Ramparte in my living room. It's basically a more aesthetically pleasing Blues Junior with no EQ and simplified circuitry (thus a good deal cheaper - Fender make no money on their pawn shop series). If you can find one, try it. You'll probably dig it - definitely in the classic tweed ballpark tonally.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2015 17:52

waterrats
I got a small Fender amp which is quite usable: Frontman 15G

But at home, I mostly use it only with headphones. Why? Because walls are thin and I have neighbours.

All day and all night? Do you have crazies? Screaming young babies? No piece and no quiet? Have you got T.V.'s, saxophone playing, groaning and straining with the trouble and strife?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:05

Fender Blues Jr. Great dynamic range. I use mine in my apt all the time.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:15

Keith Richards: "At home, real guitarists play on an acoustic guitar" ;-)

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: August 21, 2015 21:08

Thanks guys for all your suggestions......i will try a few ....for a living room is 1 watt tube amp enough i guess

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-21 21:10 by thomas guitar.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 22, 2015 10:56

DandelionPowderman
JamesPhelge00
A wimpy 5 watts?

thumbs up

More than just thumbs up .... rather a case of grinning smiley >grinning smiley< hot smiley grinning smiley >grinning smiley< hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 22, 2015 13:29

You know what they say...
"Its not the size of the amp, it is how you use it"

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 22, 2015 13:49

[www.youtube.com]

It's actually 20 watts but it's an amazing little amp.
Sounds great at low volumes.
Tube/Solid State Hybrid.
Can be used as a headphone amp too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 22, 2015 17:06

DandelionPowderman
JamesPhelge00
A wimpy 5 watts?

thumbs up

Maybe I'm getting old but at 1 am I think I'd react with a half nanker.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home