Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Steel Wheels Tour - the cold/sterile sound?
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 17, 2015 21:25

All I remember from Steel Wheels was how great it felt seeing them. Like many, I was convinced we would never see the Stones on tour again. In retrospect, the sound might be a little "sterile", but at the time, it sounded tight and polished, with both Keith and Ronnie playing well. Mick's vocals were a real revelation - it was clear that he was working really hard on getting the vocals right. I must admit that I don't revisit those shows very often, though.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 22:22

Agree with the general balance of opinion here. Urban Jungle was my first tour and for that reason it will always be special to me as I only saw 1 show ( the 2nd last night of the tour) and I thought it would be my only ever show! Large parts of my show featured on the official 'At the Max' video.

Looking back at the old videos, the tour seems to be too slick, over managed and over produced with Mick's stage moves over-choreographed. Not really what the Stones are all about but undoubtedly influenced by the trends of that time. 5 years later I saw 2 shows on VL and they were right back to their rough, raw best. I saw them at Sheffield and Wembley, just before the Brixton Academy show.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 17, 2015 22:50

Last Wyman tour (he probably left because of the new style) and the first tour without "real piano". They became a keyboard / brass band and less guitar band.

Mick began using more choreography than before.... so yes, more cold and sterile, both sound and style.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: August 17, 2015 23:19

Besides the band not touring together for years I think there were two drastic changes which came about in 1989.
First was the digital age. The sound was "airy".
Second was the theatrics. Older tours the band rolled with the flow. Now Mick had to stand in a certain spot at a certain time. It became more of a theatrical show than the tours of the past.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 17, 2015 23:37

Basically, Steel Wheels was the first Vegas tour and the one that set the standard for tours to follow. Listen to Tumbling Dice from that tour and compare it with the others. There is very little difference.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 18, 2015 06:00

drbryant
All I remember from Steel Wheels was how great it felt seeing them. Like many, I was convinced we would never see the Stones on tour again. In retrospect, the sound might be a little "sterile", but at the time, it sounded tight and polished, with both Keith and Ronnie playing well. Mick's vocals were a real revelation - it was clear that he was working really hard on getting the vocals right. I must admit that I don't revisit those shows very often, though.

In retrospect, sure, the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour was the beginning of the Vegas era, but the shows I caught on their two previous tours were kind of a mess, and I really appreciated that they were making an effort to give the audience a good show instead of just showing up and seeing what happens. In the old days they didn't need professionalism, because on a good night you'd get magic, but as far as I'm concerned the 1973 tour was the last gasp of that era.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 06:17

blivet
drbryant

In retrospect, sure, the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour was the beginning of the Vegas era, but the shows I caught on their two previous tours were kind of a mess, and I really appreciated that they were making an effort to give the audience a good show instead of just showing up and seeing what happens. In the old days they didn't need professionalism, because on a good night you'd get magic, but as far as I'm concerned the 1973 tour was the last gasp of that era.

Well put

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: August 18, 2015 19:30

IrisC
I loved Steel Wheels! I was glad to see the band not doped up and sounding terrible. 1978 was awful, and 1981 not much better. Still love the boys don't get me wrong. The Stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world! My favorite.

One of my most memorable moments at a Stones show was LA 1981. It was festival seating, and a young(er) guy...maybe in his late teens early twenties...was rocking out a few feet away from where I was standing. The band was swinging its way through Black Limousine, after which he came over to say, "These guys are really good!" Amen, brother. Amen.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2015 08:11

1969Fan
IrisC
I loved Steel Wheels! I was glad to see the band not doped up and sounding terrible. 1978 was awful, and 1981 not much better. Still love the boys don't get me wrong. The Stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world! My favorite.

One of my most memorable moments at a Stones show was LA 1981. It was festival seating, and a young(er) guy...maybe in his late teens early twenties...was rocking out a few feet away from where I was standing. The band was swinging its way through Black Limousine, after which he came over to say, "These guys are really good!" Amen, brother. Amen.

smileys with beer

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 19, 2015 12:34

I saw the band before and after 1990.
1982 was great, 1990 was great,too, but different.The times they are a-chanching, you know.Yes, they sounded less guitar oriented, but I like the brass section as well as the backup singers.Yes, Flashpoints sounds a bit flat, but Atlantic City (and other bootlegs) sound superb. And I think Atlantic City is definitely one of the all time Highlights of the whole Rolling Stones history. What I like especially is Keith´s playing and his lead sound when playing his Musicman guitar.

Date: August 19, 2015 12:37

RockingLonestar
1982 was great, 1990 was great,too, but different.The times they are a-chanching, you know.Yes, they sounded less guitar oriented, but I like the brass section as well as the backup singers.Yes, Flashpoints sounds a bit flat, but Atlantic City (and other bootlegs) sound superb. And I think Atlantic City is definitely one of the all time Highlights of the whole Rolling Stones history. What I like especially is Keith´s playing and his lead sound when playing his Musicman guitar.

thumbs up

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 19, 2015 14:42

Because of the digital recording. The last good sounding Stones album is Dirty Work.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 19, 2015 14:59

Dirty Work seems to me the best-sounding Stones-record ever.

On Steel Wheels tour the boys wore very strange costumes, an awful sight to see. They played very well but it sounded polished and clean, not what one might expect of the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:11

kowalski
Because of the digital recording. The last good sounding Stones album is Dirty Work.

It doesn't sound good.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:55

mtaylor
Last Wyman tour (he probably left because of the new style) and the first tour without "real piano". They became a keyboard / brass band and less guitar band.

And Keith used a Musicman and Ron a ESP Tele. Was using these new instruments part of the juvenilization of the band's image?
In retrospect I don't think it was a great idea. In 94 thye brought back the "antiques" onstage.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 19, 2015 16:54

It happened a lot in Music between 89 and 94.

The most important thing was the new rocksceene....grunge and britpop...and also bands like Black Crowes and Primal Scream.

Guitardriven rockmusic was - once again - the coolest thing. And the coolest record of them all was Exile on Main Street. Definatelt the most hip record of 92/93.

Mick was very aware of the new trends...which suited him much better than the synthezeizers of the 80's. He didnt have to record another Primitive Cool he could record Wandering Spirit instead.

So even if I think the early part of the VoodooLounge tour was a bit boring they could now - especially with the clubconcerts in 95 - successfully being a guitarband again.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 19, 2015 17:03

HMS
The Stones a "Vegas"-act? Sorry, not enough glitter for that... although the 1989/90-costumes were rather weird... but nowadays they don´t wear costumes anymore...and where are the dancing girls?smiling smiley No Vegas-show without dancing girls!

They had dancing girls in 81. Another reason 78 and 81 was a joke.

Date: August 19, 2015 17:16

dcba
mtaylor

And Keith used a Musicman and Ron a ESP Tele. Was using these new instruments part of the juvenilization of the band's image?
In retrospect I don't think it was a great idea. In 94 thye brought back the "antiques" onstage.

A Music Man as well + all the other guitars he normally uses. Same with Keith.

The Music Man guitars sounded great! And this clip is far from «sterile-sounding».

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 19, 2015 17:23

DandelionPowderman

The Music Man guitars sounded great! And this clip is far from «sterile-sounding».

[www.youtube.com]

It is fast and it has punch, but to me it sounds a bit slick. And look at those awful costumes they wear!

Date: August 19, 2015 17:30

HMS
It is fast and it has punch, but to me it sounds a bit slick. And look at those awful costumes they wear!

Agree

Great energy but sooo slick. Compare it to the 72 versions.

And the awful clothes. Their worst ever. But you have to remember it was the late 80's.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 19, 2015 17:36

Tops
HMS

Agree

Great energy but sooo slick. Compare it to the 72 versions.

And the awful clothes. Their worst ever. But you have to remember it was the late 80's.

Are we talking about the Music?
Or are we talking about clothes, shoes or haircuts?
Anyway, this is my all time favorite live version of Bitch.
And yes, it sounds different from the versions from the early seventies.
Because it was played in 1989.

Date: August 19, 2015 17:46

That Bitch video reminds me of how good 89 was. I think it SW/UJ tours get blamed for starting the Vegas era, which they did, but at the time it was amazing just to hear the band together at all, must less playing their songs professionally and with attention to musicianship (ok, i'm mostly talking about the guitarists and singer here, not Bill & Charlie, always professional).

To a new Stones fan I'd think the '89 sound is much more attractive than anything between 75 and 81. You have to be a pretty big Stones fan to appreciate the rawness of those years, and to enjoy the mistakes for what they are. Even myself, who had enjoyed listening to the live performances of the 60s,70s, and 81 over and over again before seeing them in '89, the professionalism and cleanness of the SW/UJ sound was refreshing. The unfortunate part is them sticking with that approach for the subsequent 25 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 17:47 by Turner68.

Date: August 19, 2015 17:58

Turner68
To a new Stones fan I'd think the '89 sound is much more attractive than anything between 75 and 81.

Yes the polished versions on the 89-90 -tours attracted the mainstream audience. And that was very important for the future of the Rolling Stones. I can agree.

But I'm myself not a big fan of the the versions from 89. But Bitch was really good....but slicksmiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2015 18:02

It's only the horns that make Bitch a bit more polished. The guitars and the singing are lightyears better than 71-72, imo.

They did just as many mistakes in 69-71 as in 75-82, mainly early on the tours. Listen to Vancouver 1972, he he grinning smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 19, 2015 18:19

DandelionPowderman

It hasn't got that dirty early 7-tees guitar-chord driven sound and feel that I liked about this song, but this is definitely a possibility. Keith's solo is real fun to listen to, and the Music Mans are great sounding guitars indeed.

Date: August 19, 2015 18:21

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

It hasn't got that dirty early 7-tees guitar-chord driven sound and feel that I liked about this song, but this is definitely a possibility. Keith's solo is real fun to listen to, and the Music Mans are great sounding guitars indeed.

That's just the bad PA and the hiss winking smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 19:26

DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

I didn't see the band pre-1990 (Urban Jungle at Wembley was my first) so will always have a special place for me. That Atlantic City show really was/is fantastic regardless of slickness or whatever. The first bootleg I got was the 3cd box of this gig. Played it to death and still love it. The Midnight Rambler is sensational....(and features great high kicks from Keith!)

Date: August 19, 2015 19:30

Yeah... I remember thinking that it was pretty audacious of them to take another crack at Rambler, not sure it was a good idea, but then being very pleased with the results. I'm describing what I thought at the show not listening to bootlegs after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 19:32 by Turner68.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 20, 2015 00:57

I saw the Stones 6 x in 89/90 and never ever had the impression of a cold or sterile sound at the concert. I was lucky to make the front row in four of the six concerts and it rocked! After the break in the eighties all the people were sooo enthusiastic and partying , it was very very special.
I never liked the additional keyboards of MC and hated the sampled harp in Miss You or Just Wanna Make Love To You, but all in all that wasnt important at the time. We were blown away. I think that some people here feel that SMU from that tour including the intro is the hottest ever. All the guitar driven numbers were hot, not sterile.

Dont judge the tour by its official live releases. Yes Flashpoint is steril, orchestral, overblown whatever. Disappointing, like most of the official live recordings. So was Still Live and other releases. Bootlegs often don`t judge the live experience.

Tom

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1422
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home