Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Steel Wheels Tour - the cold/sterile sound?
Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 16, 2015 23:47

Was that an intentional effect or just a result of the size of the stage (their biggest ever?).

Great setlists and great energy in 89. And a very important - and successfull - tour for the band. But the sterile sound - and buried guitars/late 80's keyboards - gave the songs almost a robotic feeling. A very strange sound.

The warm and organic sound was back a couple of years later at the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Re: Steel Wheels Tour - the cold/sterile sound?
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 16, 2015 23:57

It was just a sign of the Stones keeping up with modern trends.
Plenty of keyboards and polished sounds overall. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time but those tours and "Steel Wheels" sound incredibly dated now.
It's a shame because the playing is very good indeed. Plus it was the last tour with Wyman.

The Voodoo Lounge tour was a big improvement but it still sounded somewhat sterile. I can't quite put my finger on it but I still dislike the sound of the guitars and drums on that tour. The keyboards weren't as dominant as they were in 1989/90 but they still played too much of a part in the overall sound.

When they did the 4 club show in 1995 they really seemed to find their sound again. The guitars were loud and raw and the band sounded great again.

Date: August 17, 2015 00:04

The SW and UJ tours sounded differently. The latter sounded cleaner, while shows like AC rocked hard. Many good UJ shows as well, like Seventh Of July, but the guitars are very clean.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 00:19

Steel wheels sounded great.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: August 17, 2015 00:47

I loved Steel Wheels! I was glad to see the band not doped up and sounding terrible. 1978 was awful, and 1981 not much better. Still love the boys don't get me wrong. The Stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world! My favorite.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:03

IrisC
I loved Steel Wheels! I was glad to see the band not doped up and sounding terrible. 1978 was awful, and 1981 not much better. Still love the boys don't get me wrong. The Stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world! My favorite.
if '78 was awful...I love awful

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:22

I seem to remember a lot media criticism for the '81/'82 tours - sloppy was the main adjective and too far removed from the original recordings.........(not from me though, yeah they screwed up a few songs but they can still do that now............................

I felt the SW / UJ shows were a bit of an answer to that, much more precise following of the studio versions..........

On the Voodoo Lounge tour they seemed to relax again but with the excercise of SW under their belts........of the 3 tours I did like VL best........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 01:38 by EddieByword.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:25

I thought the 2 Steel Wheels concerts I saw in L.A. sounded great. I'll admit they don't sound that smashing as an audio recording.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:34

Listen to keith sing little t n a. In 81 then in 89 keith so much better in 89 he must a been doing a lot of coke on that tour. Which I think he was.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 02:45

Steel Wheels the album was one of those 1980's casualties. Soulless slick production with a cheesy synth sound. Too crisp and no soul. The tour, where I saw them in Wisconsin, sounded spectacular. A fantastic sound system and very loud both of the nights I saw them. I enjoyed the show a lot, though I did think and do think now, it was bit polished. However, I do think it was a great resurrection for the band.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 17, 2015 03:11

Charlie's kit never sounded better than in '89. His snare hasn't had the same "pop" since.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 17, 2015 09:52

Mel Belli
Charlie's kit never sounded better than in '89. His snare hasn't had the same "pop" since.

+1!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 10:59

IrisC
1978 was awful, and 1981 not much better.

I quite second that, yet the Some Girls Live in Texas and Hampton are their best DVDs, absolutely perfect. I also love the current (2014, 2015) sound. The guitars sound fantastic.
As for the Steel Wheels tour, I can only judge it from the recordings and like many people, I find the guitars too clean, but I like the shows anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 11:01 by Happy24.

Date: August 17, 2015 11:17

SW tour:

UJ tour:

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 17, 2015 12:35

I think that the concept of this tour was strongly influenced by Jagger's solo years. It should go with the clean polished Jackson-, Turner-, Prince-acts. As he didn't succeed solowise he transformed the polished sound into a Stones-like format. Otherwise the band would have been history I guess. Instead we had the begin of the Vegas decline ... What's better?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 17, 2015 12:46

For them and for millions of people, better they carried on.

Despite the obvious polish etc of Steel Wheels tour, they had something to prove, were all playing well and gave great performances.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 17, 2015 12:47

If they had sounded like they did on stage in 1981, they would have been laughed of the stage. They had to come to terms with what was in demand for both bookers, audience and other acts of the time. They had a lot to prove at this point and I think they succeded. Luckily for them, grunge came by, which could make them loosen up the sound a little.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 13:03

I liked the sound on Steel Wheels although it spelt the end of the guitar driven sound of the previous outings (which I sumply worship). I did not much care for the production, especially the use of massive props which distracted from the music. In that sense I prefer Voodoo Lounge still a big production but no props such as those inflatable women etc.grinning smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 13:23

RobertJohnson
I think that the concept of this tour was strongly influenced by Jagger's solo years. It should go with the clean polished Jackson-, Turner-, Prince-acts. As he didn't succeed solowise he transformed the polished sound into a Stones-like format. Otherwise the band would have been history I guess. Instead we had the begin of the Vegas decline ... What's better?

Since the 26 years of decline lead to those amazing 2012-2015 shows, I am all for decline. And by the way, why does the "Vegas" thing has to be mentioned whenever the post 1989 Stones are discussed? I think it is mostly a cliché that most people follow without thinking. I think that the constant calling them a "Vegas act" became very "Vegas" smiling smiley They are a great band who more than 50 years into their careers put out (arguably) the best live rock'n'roll show on Earth.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 17, 2015 14:09

The Stones a "Vegas"-act? Sorry, not enough glitter for that... although the 1989/90-costumes were rather weird... but nowadays they don´t wear costumes anymore...and where are the dancing girls?smiling smiley No Vegas-show without dancing girls!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 14:12 by HMS.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2015 14:12

and where are the dancing girls?

....in da audience ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 17, 2015 14:24

Steel Wheels reminds me of the recent tour (I saw them in Orlando). The Stage configuration was senseless and not fan favorable.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 15:03

On a day off work sightseeing in St Albans. Anyway they are still a magnificent band a force to be reckoned with.Keef played wonderfully during some of the SW and UJ performances. Running out of battery on phonesmileys with beer

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 17, 2015 17:33

vudicus
It was just a sign of the Stones keeping up with modern trends.
Plenty of keyboards and polished sounds overall. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time but those tours and "Steel Wheels" sound incredibly dated now.
It's a shame because the playing is very good indeed. Plus it was the last tour with Wyman.

The Voodoo Lounge tour was a big improvement but it still sounded somewhat sterile. I can't quite put my finger on it but I still dislike the sound of the guitars and drums on that tour. The keyboards weren't as dominant as they were in 1989/90 but they still played too much of a part in the overall sound.

When they did the 4 club show in 1995 they really seemed to find their sound again. The guitars were loud and raw and the band sounded great again.

Best review of 89/90 I have read, and spot on with my own opinions. I do understand that the tour was necessary. Mick seemed to need this tour more than anything to prove they could compete with the contemporary trends of the day, and to prove to the critics they could so a flawless show.

I believe it wasn’t until 95 when they started doing the Stripped shows when they finally became a cohesive “band” again, not reliant on Chuck.

Date: August 17, 2015 17:35

Further to the point.... I find the 89/90 shows unlistenable and uunwatchable. Between the sterile thin sound and Mick's calculated moves, it was "The Stones on Ice" -- lifting Pete Townsend's description of The Who's 89 tour, which I also agree with.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 17, 2015 17:38

Kennedy

...I believe it wasn’t until 95 when they started doing the Stripped shows when they finally became a cohesive “band” again, not reliant on Chuck.

I would identify the date for this cohesion as 1993, with the shows of 1994 beginning the memorable decade-long high period.

Olly.

Date: August 17, 2015 17:44

Olly
Kennedy

...I believe it wasn’t until 95 when they started doing the Stripped shows when they finally became a cohesive “band” again, not reliant on Chuck.

I would identify the date for this cohesion as 1993, with the shows of 1994 beginning the memorable decade-long high period.

I respectfully disagree. I saw a number of the 94 shows here in the US, and I left each of them with the same feelings I had after the SW 89 shows. I remember being pleasantly shocked when the Stripped special aired in late 95 how different they sounded versus just one year prior. My suspicions were confirmed when they returned to the US in 97. Just a completely different vibe than 89 & 94.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 17, 2015 17:47

You can't argue Keith had lost control when Jagger was fistfighting a blow up doll and imprisoned in a bouncy house jail...

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 17, 2015 17:48

Kennedy
...I remember being pleasantly shocked when the Stripped special aired in late 95 how different they sounded versus just one year prior. My suspicions were confirmed when they returned to the US in 97. Just a completely different vibe than 89 & 94.

Interesting. I am far too young to have seen any of the Voodoo Lounge shows, although I am surprised that the sound would change more during a Tour (1994-1995) than between Tours (1990-1994).

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 17:49 by Olly.

Date: August 17, 2015 18:20

Olly
Kennedy
...I remember being pleasantly shocked when the Stripped special aired in late 95 how different they sounded versus just one year prior. My suspicions were confirmed when they returned to the US in 97. Just a completely different vibe than 89 & 94.

Interesting. I am far too young to have seen any of the Voodoo Lounge shows, although I am surprised that the sound would change more during a Tour (1994-1995) than between Tours (1990-1994).

That surprised me as well. I think something just clicked when they did those club shows in 95.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home