Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones arrive @ LongView Farm August 15 1981
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 15:02

The Rolling Stones arrived at the Longview Recording Studios in North Brookfield, MA, to begin rehearsing for yet another world tour. . It was during this six week session that the Stones ventured into Worcester, MA on September 14th, 1981, to play a show at the former Sir Morgan's Cove on Green Street. The Stones had just released their classic album Tattoo You and hadn't performed live in three years until that Worcester gig.

Supposed Setlist from Sir Morgans Cove .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 15:03 by boston2006.

Re: Stones arrive @ LongView Farm August 15 1981
Date: August 15, 2015 15:10

BTW , the venue renamed The Lucky Dog Music Hall is up for sale .

Article below .

[www.masslive.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 15, 2015 15:12

Can't have a thread about Long View Farm without Gil Markle's diary: [www.studiowner.com]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: August 15, 2015 18:08

with sssoul
Can't have a thread about Long View Farm without Gil Markle's diary: [www.studiowner.com]

Cool! Now I know what I'll be doing this afternoon!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 15, 2015 18:13

Charlie was already starting to look huh... neglicted?
I thought his "problems" started in 83?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 15, 2015 18:53

dcba

Wasn't it during the Some Girls sessions when Keith realized Charlie was taking heroin and suggested he was getting a bit old to start sowing his wild oats?

It is funny to see them in a muddy cow pasture dressed so sharply....someone give Bill a shovel man.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 15, 2015 19:00

Naturalust
dcba

Wasn't it during the Some Girls sessions when Keith realized Charlie was taking heroin and suggested he was getting a bit old to start sowing his wild oats?...

It was, by recent accounts, although I'm slightly confused as I'm certain I've seen accounts from Watts stating that that this period in his life took place during the years 1983 - 1986.

Olly.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: August 15, 2015 19:09

Olly
Naturalust
dcba

Wasn't it during the Some Girls sessions when Keith realized Charlie was taking heroin and suggested he was getting a bit old to start sowing his wild oats?...

It was, by recent accounts, although I'm slightly confused as I'm certain I've seen accounts from Watts stating that that this period in his life took place during the years 1983 - 1986.

i also understood that it was during the dirty work sessions

what recent report stated that it was around some girls?

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 15, 2015 19:11

CloudCat

[www.nme.com]

Olly.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 20:01

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed reading this, although have not read the whole thing yet. Cannot believe that Mick was the one in worst shape according to the chiropractor.eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 18:38 by desertblues68.

Date: August 15, 2015 20:08

Hm - unless I'm missing something, that sounds more like a misremembering than a newly-discovered fact.
Unless he's saying his involvement with heroin in the mid-80s was a re-run, which doesn't sound right either.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 15, 2015 20:15

with sssoul
Hm - unless I'm missing something, that sounds more like a misremembering than a newly-discovered fact.
Unless he's saying his involvement with heroin in the mid-80s was a re-run, which doesn't sound right either.

I've read that about the Some Girls sessions before from another source too, pretty sure it was Keith telling the story. Wasn't there something in Life about it?

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: August 15, 2015 20:24

The set list for the show at Sir Morgans Cove was as follows:

Everybody needs somebody to love
Mona
Under My Thumb
When the whip comes down
Shattered
Neighbors
Let it Bleed
I just want to make love to you
She's so cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Honky Tonk Woman
Start Me Up
Sympathy For the Devil
Jumping Jack Flash

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 15, 2015 20:45

This is great thanks
Charlie looks so cool, and they are all larger than life figures
I think this was the year they looked the most fascinating
Cheers boston

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 15, 2015 20:49

CloudCat
Olly
Naturalust
dcba

You are right it was 83' to 86' ish as legend has it

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 15, 2015 20:50

I think Charlie is either misquoted or has a bad memory when he is quoted to say that he quit heroin during the Some Girls recording sessions. It is "common knowledge" that he was doing heroin around the time of Dirty Work, so my bet is that the episode that the article is referring to happened some time in the mid 1980s.

Date: August 16, 2015 00:03

Christopher

Mona
Under My Thumb
When the whip comes down
Shattered
Neighbors
Let it Bleed
She's so cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Honky Tonk Woman
Start Me Up
Sympathy For the Devil
Jumping Jack Flash

Well someone is selling the list I pictured on ebay as the original

That is why I listed it as " supposed "

Check it out .
[www.ebay.com]

Date: August 16, 2015 00:12

That supposed list has been sold (or anyway offered for sale) more than once, I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 00:13 by with sssoul.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 16, 2015 00:16

Charlie has been quoted talking about the time surrounding DIRTY WORK with his heroin addiction.

How it came up to be SOME GIRLS is probably the same confusion that Mick had with Heartbreaker being from BLACK AND BLUE on the VOODOO tour.

Date: August 16, 2015 01:14

with sssoul
That supposed list has been sold (or anyway offered for sale) more than once, I think.

That particular seller has listed a lot of Stones items for sale and they are always very rare pieces and very expensive

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 16, 2015 03:50

Christopher

Mona
Under My Thumb
When the whip comes down
Shattered
Neighbors
Let it Bleed
She's so cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Honky Tonk Woman
Start Me Up
Sympathy For the Devil
Jumping Jack Flash

I have seen almost 50 shows since Boston 75, Mona is the only one on that list I have never seen live.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: August 17, 2015 03:52

I have spoken with many people who attended this show, I even had a ticket to the show, but I could not make it up there in time (see my book. "I.O.R.R.The Ultimate Guide..." pp.165) This set list (the hand written one) as far as the people I spoke with and band members over the years, never mentioned anything close to these tracks planned for that show.
Considering how the set list from all the other warm up gigs over the past 30 + years have been, a set list has never came close to this type of set list.
The only thing close to this set list was the Feb. 1986 gig at the 100 club for Stu which I happen to attend.. So I have my doubts this set list was really even close to what they were planning to play that night at Sir Morgan Cove.
It doesn't mean that this list is not real but highly unlikely to be what they planned that night.
On a side note.. I was also invited to come up and video tape the rehearsals up at Long View farms, but certain people decided at the last minute not to have it taped..I was literally at the airport ready to catch the next flight up to Wooster, Mass. (tapes in hand). If I had gotten there maybe I would have been able to record some of the songs off that list if they were indeed rehearsing them..OH! Well..

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 01:57

That "diary" was a really fun read. Thanks for sharing. I remember some great pictures from their stay at Long View. Keith and Patti on horses, Bobby Keys out in the pasture etc.

Would love to see the Stones do a 2 month stay somewhere like that now and see if there's any possibility of producing some good new music.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: August 18, 2015 04:33

Christopher

Mona
Under My Thumb
When the whip comes down
Shattered
Neighbors
Let it Bleed
She's so cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Honky Tonk Woman
Start Me Up
Sympathy For the Devil
Jumping Jack Flash

According to who?

Date: August 18, 2015 04:40

boston2006

The Rolling Stones arrived at the Longview Recording Studios in North Brookfield, MA, to begin rehearsing for yet another world tour. . It was during this six week session that the Stones ventured into Worcester, MA on September 14th, 1981, to play a show at the former Sir Morgan's Cove on Green Street. The Stones had just released their classic album Tattoo You and hadn't performed live in three years until that Worcester gig.

Supposed Setlist from Sir Morgans Cove .

Obviously, if you read the list and look at the title it says Blues, and CBs (Chuck Berry tunes) and encores.
This is a list of possible songs to be included in a set. Probably things they rehearsed or one guitar player's suggestions (notice the guitar pic silhouettes).

Has anyone done a handwriting comparison with other verified items?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 18, 2015 11:37

VideoJames
On a side note.. I was also invited to come up and video tape the rehearsals up at Long View farms, but certain people decided at the last minute not to have it taped..I was literally at the airport ready to catch the next flight up to Wooster, Mass. (tapes in hand). If I had gotten there maybe I would have been able to record some of the songs off that list if they were indeed rehearsing them..OH! Well..

Thx for the insider story, I love it!
So the 81 rehearsals weren't taped but 78 Woodstock ones were, weren't they?
I remember reading a testimony by Felix Aeppli saying he saw some of them at your place VJ in NYC around 1985.
Can you tell us more?

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 18, 2015 14:29

Olly
CloudCat

[www.nme.com]
Amazing how pathetic some news stories are. It was during Dirty Work.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 18, 2015 15:05

Big thanks to ssoul for the link to the Studio owners diary....really enjoyed reading through that. Interesting to see it all from different angles. Also thanks to OP for the thread!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 18, 2015 16:34

Did anyone who just recently read the studio owner's blog remember reading anything about "the list"? I haven't read the site recently (I did years ago) and I seem to remember something about MJ having asked Stu to put together a list of blues and CB tunes that could just be pulled out if necessary. I don't think the list pictured above is a "set-list" per se, more like an "if needed" list.

Peace,
Mr DJA

BTW -> For anyone who hasn't read the journals at the studio owner's site, they are, in my opinion, well written, informative and well worth your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 16:45 by mr_dja.

Date: August 19, 2015 03:43

dcba
VideoJames

Thx for the insider story, I love it!
So the 81 rehearsals weren't taped but 78 Woodstock ones were, weren't they?
I remember reading a testimony by Felix Aeppli saying he saw some of them at your place VJ in NYC around 1985.
Can you tell us more?

The 78 rehearsals were taped for Geraldo's 20/20 interview piece. They include footage of the dismissed keyboard player as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home