Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: LEAST favorite stones songs!!
Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 5, 2005 22:41

Just can't believe you put on Hot Stuff and Mother's little helper...%$#@ great songs from my prospective!!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 5, 2005 22:48

Winnang...Winnnnaaaanggg....winnnaannnnnnng ug-layyeeee.

Ugh!

Hold Back, Back To Zero, Winning Ugly - The trifecta of sludge from Dirty Work! Take out these 3 and DW ain't too bad!

Ross

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 5, 2005 22:51

Gaz, my man!!!!

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> KSIE Wrote:
> >
> > ps: I can't BELIEVE you Hold Back haters! A
> > classic in my book.
>
> must be some book, Karl
>
> awful gnarling, barking vocals
I'll agree, barking. I love Jagger on this whole album. He actually sounds like he means what he's singing.

> the worst drumming on any Stones record - EVER
I don't follow you here. Charlie's way tight in the groove with the Keith riff. Admittedly the whole DW album has a kind of 80s drum sound, although not nearly as outright bad as Undercover.

> a mix that was obviously supervised by a baboon
> (and not a baboon bro)

Again, je ne comprende pas! Not a great production, but satisfactory.

> absolutely nothing remotely resembling a melody

Wot??? The riff is what makes me refer to this tune as "classic". It smokes man!

Well, as is often displayed here, each Stones fan has his/her own take on the songbook.

Cheers, have a good weekend!
Karl

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 5, 2005 22:56

Indeed. each to their own.

In my own twisted way, I admire you for finding something to love about it!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 5, 2005 23:06

IT'S ONLY R&R
FIGHT
SLEEP TONIGHT
ANYBODY SEEN MY BABY
LET'S ALL SING THIS SONG TOGETHER
ANYTHING OFF EMOTIONAL RESCUE

Posted by: herb ()
Date: August 5, 2005 23:19

And no one yet has named "Miss You" as the all time least favorite. That is the first Stones song I can think of that, every time it comes on, I skip over or change the channel. I guess it brings back too many horrid memories of the indsufferable disco days of the late 70's early 80's. That song is just a stinker. Disco Rolling Stones, YUK! OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO ... please spare us the agony ....

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: August 5, 2005 23:58

Goldsmith!How can you not like:
All down the line
You gotta move
Sister morphine
These are classics! to each his own of course.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 6, 2005 00:24

Well, just beacuse they are the "Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World" doesn't mean that they don't fall on their faces sometimes--even badly. That's the price of trying to do anything worthwhile. Here are what I think of as some missteps:

"Come On"
"Under The Boardwalk"
"As Tears Go By"
"Good Times"
Pretty much all of "Satanic Majesties"
"Short and Curlies"
"Melody"
"Where The Boys Go"
"Back to Zero"
"Dirty Work"
"Can't Be Seen"
"Blinded By Rainbows"
"Suck On The Jugular"
"Can't Be Seen"
"HighWire"

AND THE ALLTIME LAMEST, WORST STONES SONG AND WORST STONES RECORDING...

"Rock And A Hard Place"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 6, 2005 00:31

herb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And no one yet has named "Miss You" as the all
> time least favorite. That is the first Stones song
> I can think of that, every time it comes on, I
> skip over or change the channel. I guess it brings
> back too many horrid memories of the indsufferable
> disco days of the late 70's early 80's. That song
> is just a stinker. Disco Rolling Stones, YUK!
> OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO ... please spare us the agony
> ....
>

The studio version of Miss You is a musical masterpiece in every way. Its not REALLY a 'disco' song to my ears....and THAT bassline and THAT bridge. Fantastic. Its bordering on perfection.

Whats turned so many people off it is the way its been played to death onstage, often for about 10-12 minutes at a time. Its been flogged to death and its become easy to forget how great the original version is as a result

Date: August 6, 2005 02:24

Gazza,

no, virtually every other song on "Some Girls" is a "musical masterpiece," but Miss You makes my skin crawl. The falsetto, the preening vocals (didn't realize that was possible, to preen in a vocal!). It's in keeping with the rest of the album, wherein they came up with some outstanding tunes to cover virtually every musical genre. But I think they should have left the disco selection off entirely. Sure it's disco, and the bassline is partly what makes it so. I must admit the lyrics are kinda cool, but the music that goes along with it is insufferable, to my ears ... You are right that maybe the reason I hate it so much is because it was played to death, both live and on the radio. When they play the extended extra shitty version in concert is when I definitely go on my beer run. And on the airwaves ... I remember when the album came out, it was the only cut I ever heard on the radio. Then I finally heard Beast of Burden, then I went and bought the album and was ecstatic to find a true diamond. So maybe the overplay has a lot to do with my distaste. Oh well. THe chix alwys dug it, so the deal was, suffer through it, get laid, easy formula. What are you gonna do ...

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: August 6, 2005 02:56

I notice that the songs most people say they dislike are the ones where the Stones go off into other directions: soul ballads, reggae, psychedelia, disco, funk, latin, etc., instead of the usual R & R. Oh well, can't please everyone. But I'm happy to see them try on new styles, even if they aren't always successful.

I never liked "Long Long Time" (or whatever that song is called). With it's "baaaahbay baaaahbay, been a long long taaammm" Geez... and throw "Winning Ugly" and "Back to Zero" in there too. Those ones made me skip side 2 of DW for years.

"Can't be Seen" is a bit lame too..."If you really want to be my Friend" really only suffers from bad production, goofy back up vocals and cheesy organ. Otherwise it'd be fine.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: August 6, 2005 05:05

My least favorite is Sad Sad Sad. That song is just Lame Lame Lame. Lyrically anyway...

And a giant FU to everyone who bashes Miss You. God I'm sick of hearing you clowns whine. It is one of the Stones most brilliant songs. If you are too braindead to see it as a parody of the whole disco fad just like Faraway Eyes is a parody of country music, you really need to get out of the 60s.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 6, 2005 05:36

Miss You is a down & dirty blues song...complete with a hellhound harp solo from Sugar blue! The Stones cleverly slipped in the 4 on the floor beat and took the whole world for a ride! Excellent song!

It does get tedious live and has been way overplayed.

Ross

Date: August 6, 2005 11:48

Thank you Mr Stonesfan70, for not just a regular FU, but a GIANT one! Land sakes! I'm not braindead at all. The only problem with your argument is that, parody or not, Faraway Eyes is a GOOD country song. "Miss You," parody or not, is a really crappy one. I guess I have to remember to preface everything I say here with "IMHO" to let those among us who are truly whining clowns, or even whining braindead clowns, know that it's only an opinion. Get yer panties out of a wad, my friend. You know what they say about opinions and @#$%&. Some of us have opinions, some others act like @#$%& if our opinions differ from their own. You would, of course, fall into the latter category. Afer all, this thread was asking for our least favorite Stones song. Miss You is my least favorite Stones song. Sue me.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 7, 2005 00:44

>Just can't believe you put on Hot Stuff and Mother's little helper...
> %$#@ great songs from my prospective!!

I first heard Mother's Little Helper on hotrocks as a kid and hated it instantly. Shitty melody, lyrics are mediocre at best, etc... I'm continually amazed that people actually find this tune enjoyable.

Hot Stuff is "interesting" but also is complete crap. "hot stuff, cant get enough" First heard it on Sucking in the 70s. Hot Stuff and Fool To Cry were the two tunes on there that blew my mind as far as the Stones "sucking" goes. Compare those two tracks to the live version of Whip... Enter my fascination with '78 live discs.

BTW, can someone explain to me why the radio version of Crazy Mama has a shortened beginning? The version on Black n Blue has a much cooler delayed intro with the guitars. Radio edit sounds abrupt..

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:07

Under the boardwalk, suzie Q

Date: August 7, 2005 03:45

These pretty much stand out as junk (in order):
1)Dear Doctor
2)Sing This All Together(See What Happens)
3)Sex Drive
4)Who's Been Sleeping Here?
5)Gomper
6)Streets of Love
7)The Singer Not The Song
8)Always Suffering
9)I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys
10)On With The Show
11)Blinded By Love (studio)
12)Sittin' On A fence
13)Suck On The Jugular
14)Where The Boys Go (I can listen to this but,only once in a long while.)
15)It's Not Easy
The worst singles :
1)Streets of Love - I guess it is not considered a b-side.
2)Anybody Seen My Baby?
3)Harlem Shuffle
4)Fool To Cry
5)Don't Stop

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: August 7, 2005 19:09

I see that some of you wrote "Undercover" as your least liked Stones song. Ever since the Sopranos used that song (as they have at least one other Stones song),
when I hear it I think of Tony Soprano and I do not like to think of Tony Soprano. If I ever see that, it is because I have walked into the room by mistake while my husband is watching.
Back to the least liked Stones songs, I don't particulary like, "Satisfaction"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2170
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home