Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Shattered-Best live version
Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 10, 2015 19:21

Definately not a warhorse but a song played at almost every tour since 78.

Even once in 89. Never heard that one from Philadelphia but I have not been a fan of the post 82 versions. Not that bad but a bit boring.

Hampton/Still Life is the one for me.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Shattered-Best live version
Posted by: django ()
Date: August 10, 2015 19:39

Garden State '78

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 10, 2015 19:55

There´s no version I like. It´s not my cup of tea, too hectic and not melodious. Very very weird song indeed.

Date: August 10, 2015 20:01

Hampton is perfection for me.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 10, 2015 20:46

DandelionPowderman
Hampton is perfection for me.

For me too.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 10, 2015 21:33

I don't know in any way all available versions, but I have had the vinyl boot GARDEN STATE '78 for many years, and I have always loved the intensity of its "Shattered", and how it even hottens up halfway through. Besides, that version belongs to the tour, when the song was new, something I like the idea of.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 10, 2015 21:33

Never cared much for the live Shattered but love the studio version.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 10, 2015 22:27

Hampton remains one of my favorite ever live tracks by the Stones. Pure perfection.

Mathijs

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 22:55

I'm not even that keen on the song, but love the live Hampton version. For me it's the Stones at their raw, rocking best. Love those loud, fast guitars thumbs up

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:16

grzegorz67
I'm not even that keen on the song, but love the live Hampton version. For me it's the Stones at their raw, rocking best. Love those loud, fast guitars thumbs up

i agree. in fact, i think this version is much stronger than the studio version.

the song definitely lost something in subsequent live renditions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 23:16 by Turner68.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:26

It's only once been played live in my presence -.on the b stage at Foxboro Stadium at the start of the licks tour. And for those there, you may remember something went badly wrong with the sound mix during the track and it ended up being a bit of a mess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 23:30 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:56

i agree hampton/still life version is the best.

so much better than the studio version.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 11, 2015 03:22

There isn't any

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 11, 2015 11:16

More Hot Rocks
There isn't any

The vast majority of Jagger’s live vocal performances are bad, embarrassingly bad, when compared to the studio versions but as a young man the bootleg shows were magic to me. But the magic didn’t last, at least not for their live performances. In other words, I’ve heard enough. I don’t understand why long-time fans who have heard Brussels, Hampton, all the bootlegs etc. countless times feel the need to revisit them. The studio recordings are far superior. Now I can understand watching Ladies and Gentlemen or CS Blues or even the horrendous version of Shattered on Saturday Nite Live because the performances of that era are riveting but I would never think of merely ‘listening’ to a Rolling Stones concert these days.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 11, 2015 11:29

Leeds 82, insofar it is part of the last gig that really matters ... up-tempo and a little messy, Stones as I like it ...

Date: August 11, 2015 11:34

Swayed1967
More Hot Rocks
There isn't any

The vast majority of Jagger’s live vocal performances are bad, embarrassingly bad, when compared to the studio versions but as a young man the bootleg shows were magic to me. But the magic didn’t last, at least not for their live performances. In other words, I’ve heard enough. I don’t understand why long-time fans who have heard Brussels, Hampton, all the bootlegs etc. countless times feel the need to revisit them. The studio recordings are far superior. Now I can understand watching Ladies and Gentlemen or CS Blues or even the horrendous version of Shattered on Saturday Nite Live because the performances of that era are riveting but I would never think of merely ‘listening’ to a Rolling Stones concert these days.

I'd say he sings better on the Hampton version than on the studio version.

The studio version is great, but it's more of a parody - or he's using parody to prove a point/make a comment about NYC.

On Hampton he really sings it. And all the cues are spot on, unlike on the studio version («top, top, top, top, top, top ,top» - for instance).

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 11, 2015 11:48

Swayed1967
More Hot Rocks
There isn't any

Okay, the growling, howling, barking vocals from 73-76 are a matter of taste. Meanwhile I appreciate it. But for example the live vocals on Leeds 71, Roundhouse and Marquee are an unique manifestation of one of the best Rock and Blues singers I know. No studio album matches that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-11 11:53 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 11, 2015 11:49

Shine a Light....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 11, 2015 13:39

There is no such thing! Seriously, I cannot see what anyone sees/hears in this track. A monotonous dirge. To each their own, but to me this is one of The Stones worst ever releases!

Date: August 11, 2015 13:41

bitusa2012
There is no such thing! Seriously, I cannot see what anyone sees/hears in this track. A monotonous dirge. To each their own, but to me this is one of The Stones worst ever releases!

Rhythm, groove, a cool sound and observant lyrics?

Date: August 11, 2015 13:44

bitusa2012

I absolutely agreesmileys with beer

Date: August 11, 2015 13:49

DandelionPowderman

I can find more of all this on tracks like Fingerprint File, Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita and countless others.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 11, 2015 13:54

bitusa2012

I thought the same 35 years ago...now I hear what Dandy says about it...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: August 11, 2015 13:54

HMS
DandelionPowderman

I can find more of all this on tracks like Fingerprint File, Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita and countless others.

Those are great, too.

Keep in mind that the phaser sound on Shattered was pretty fresh for the Stones at the time, although Mick's Leslie on FF sounds awesome smiling smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 11, 2015 20:21

Easily..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 11, 2015 20:27

stanlove
Easily..

To me the whole 78 trek was a messy (somewhat unpleasant) blueprint for the superb glorious 1981 tour. The band sounded harsh and this version is no exception.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 11, 2015 20:29

This is such a bad song. Just terrible.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 11, 2015 20:31

Mathijs
Hampton remains one of my favorite ever live tracks by the Stones. Pure perfection.

Mathijs

You don't listen to music much do you?

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 11, 2015 20:33

absolut perfection! Shattered is actually my favourite song from Some Girls.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 11, 2015 20:38

SNL 1978

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home