Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'High or Low'...a forgotten song!
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 5, 2015 14:18

During Bridges to Babylon sessions was recorded a song, High or Low,with Keith on vocal. Then KR gave this song to Sheryl Crow (which both recorded in NYC in april 2001) to publish it on her fourth studio album 'C'mon,C'mon'. On this album there are many collaborations (Lenny Kravitz, Steve Nicks, Don Henley...) and so High or Low probably should have been part of this project.
Unfortunately this song has been forgotten...both KR and Sheryl!

Re: 'High or Low'...a forgotten song!
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 5, 2015 15:50

Yeah. At the time, I believe there was some thought it might have ended up on a potential Keith album as well. Rob Fraboni was working towards a possible album with Keith. There's a similar feel to both "Still a Fool" and "You Win Again." Both tracks have a raw roots approach that would have made for a great solo album. I loved George Recile's playing with Keith and thought it had great potential. We've heard that a duet with Al Green was also cut at these sessions (a Spooner Oldham cover, I believe). There are also the re-recordings Keith did for the abandoned HAPPY project with Waddy and Steve Jordan. There were some recordings with Mac done around that time as well. So much in the can that we may never hear. It's possible earlier versions of some of the new songs were part of these sessions. Hard to know.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 5, 2015 16:15

Rocky, your knowledge about outtakes and unreleased songs is amazing, you should put all your notes together in an article one day!

As for "High or Low", it doesn't make much sense for Sheryl to have passed on having a Keith track on her album...I think she also said that it was "work in progress" at some point...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 5, 2015 17:26

What ever happened to "Everchanging World"?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2015 17:28

gotdablouse
Rocky, your knowledge about outtakes and unreleased songs is amazing, you should put all your notes together in an article one day!

As for "High or Low", it doesn't make much sense for Sheryl to have passed on having a Keith track on her album...I think she also said that it was "work in progress" at some point...

I concur

Date: August 5, 2015 17:31

Mel Belli

True...it was supposed to be a B-Side to a single and/or a bonus track on the Japanese B2B right? Come to think of it, was it ever mentioned elsewhere than in the IORR news feed (in Karnbach's 1997 book too possibly?) ? Same for the 1999 "Memory Hotel" collection of outtakes?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 5, 2015 17:49

I would like to know 'Memory Hotel' tracklist! There may be 'High or Low', 'You got it made' and many other good outtakes!

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 5, 2015 17:55

Mel Belli

Old story.
Was supposed to land on a B-side of a BTB track, then as a bonus track of a japaneses edition of BTB.
None of the both scenario happened, so still in the drawer.

Date: August 5, 2015 17:56

June 2: New CD releases delayed
There were supposed to be a couple of different versions of the Memory Motel single out on CD, and also the Memory Hotel 2CD album, with recent outtakes. The singles have been cancelled, and the outtakes album may have been delayed until June/July. This unconfirmed information will be checked out, and you will be told - but so far it seems that no releases have been done yet by Virgin.

Date: August 5, 2015 18:42

No tracklist ever surfaced and again I'm not sure any info about the "Memory Hotel" CDs appeared elsewhere than on IORR? Was there possibly some confusion with the a "Memory Motel" CD single that was planned for released at the same time (Nico has a promotional MM released in March 1999 in entry #990300cool smiley

I suppose that it would be a good question for Don Was if anyone ever bumps into him...

--------------

Date: August 5, 2015 19:46

gotdablouse

You're right:
Jan. 10, 2002: Keith collaboration with Sheryl Crow

Keith and Sheryl Crow have been working on a song called "High or Low", she told reporters backstage at the American Music Awards in Los Angeles last night. It is still a work-in-progress and it won't be on her album, which comes out in a few months.

Date: August 5, 2015 19:58

Date: August 5, 2015 20:08

KRiffhard

Here's your pic, saves me from looking up my Karnbach book (brings back bad memories, sort of...) :

I also remember an article from the LA Times in March 1997 that had been linked in the UC list and that I must have saved somewhere that listed a lot of the songs. Can't remember now if any were missing in the final release...

--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-05 20:11 by gotdablouse.

Date: August 5, 2015 21:22

If memory serves, the L.A. Times article is where we first heard "Ever-Changing World" mentioned along with "Thief in the Night." Later Don Was claimed the former would be a bonus track on the single. I think Rob Fraboni was the source of the other outtakes from an interview he gave in Stones People fanzine.

Date: August 5, 2015 21:29

gotdablouse
KRiffhard

Here's your pic, saves me from looking up my Karnbach book (brings back bad memories, sort of...) :

I also remember an article from the LA Times in March 1997 that had been linked in the UC list and that I must have saved somewhere that listed a lot of the songs. Can't remember now if any were missing in the final release...

Maybe 'Smooth Stuff' is early version of 'Smooth 180' recorded 5 years later during Lick's sessions.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:38

So interesting. When we went to visit the Stones recording at Ocean Way in '97, they were doing it completely old school, with just the four core band members jamming on the songs, no outside people except the engineers and Don Was, and few visitors (me, my dad and Kris Kristofferson).

Date: August 5, 2015 22:13

Teddy, am I right in thinking your Dad was a respected session musician as well?

Date: August 5, 2015 22:23

TeddyB1018
So interesting. When we went to visit the Stones recording at Ocean Way in '97, they were doing it completely old school, with just the four core band members jamming on the songs, no outside people except the engineers and Don Was, and few visitors (me, my dad and Kris Kristofferson).

...and then arrived four producers to ruin that 'old school' sessions!!!grinning smiley

Date: August 6, 2015 03:42

Rocky Dijon
Teddy, am I right in thinking your Dad was a respected session musician as well?

No, for once you are off, Rocky. My dad was a film producer and writer.

Date: August 6, 2015 07:13

Okay, thanks. I thought you might have been one of Jerry Scheff's kids. I knew Lauren who used to have his own connection to a Hollywood legend. In the end, it's a small world no matter how you slice it. Cheers.

Date: August 6, 2015 07:34

Absolutely. True that.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: August 6, 2015 07:56

Rocky Dijon
If memory serves, the L.A. Times article is where we first heard "Ever-Changing World" mentioned along with "Thief in the Night."

"Ever-Changing World" was one of the first titles I remember seeing listed for BTB, but it was part of a small blurb in Rolling Stone magazine. According to the IORR news section, it looks like it would've been in the May 1997 issue about a month before the L.A. Times article.

Funny that it's now 18 years later and I still haven't heard it. LOL

Date: August 6, 2015 11:11

So the LA Times article was in June? Don't know why I remembered March but the timing makes more sense like that. Is that the article where Gunface was called Gin-Face? I wonder if that article might still be in the UC List archives somewhere...I'll go looking because my backup would be on a floppy somewhere, maybe.

--------------

Date: June 3, 2018 23:29

Bit of a bump but I just read (old news) that Sheryl was planning a new album of duets next for year and that Keith had helped out, could it finally be unearthing of "High or Low" ?

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

--------------

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 3, 2018 23:32

gotdablouse
Bit of a bump but I just read (old news) that Sheryl was planning a new album of duets next for year and that Keith had helped out, could it finally be unearthing of "High or Low" ?

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

So the "album" will be an EP? Interesting anyway.

Date: June 4, 2018 00:30

Actually the EP is separate according to the article and it's due to be released soon it seems.

The LP is scheduled for 2019 :

"In addition, Sheryl tells Footwear News that her all-star album of duets, which has been in the works for several years, now has a title -- Snap -- and will be out next year. Among the collaborators on the project: Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh, Rolling Stones icon Keith Richards and Stevie Nicks."

--------------

Date: June 4, 2018 00:34

They've actually cut a new version of "The Worst" for this project. Not sure what happened to "High or Low" since it didn't end up on CROSSEYED HEART. Perhaps we'll see it on the next Stones album or a later collection.

Date: June 4, 2018 00:48

Ah ok, wow, just what the world was waiting for !

--------------

Date: June 4, 2018 03:04

In fairness, I think the whole duets project is Sheryl doing covers of favorite songs with the original artist.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 4, 2018 03:24

gotdablouse

No. "The Worst".

[iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home