Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: DIRTY WORK DeLuxe 2016.
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:00

dcba
More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
Sorry. No. There's no improving a pile of shit other than to make it bigger and smellier.

Yupe!

You're both wrong. The finished product (the DW album) darmatically fails to represent these 1985 sessions. There is indeed enough good material to make a 3-cd edition.

But good luck persuading Mick to rework this one = to relive this period of the band's history! grinning smiley

The stuff left off the album? Yes, much better than what made the album. Amazingly better, actually. That Jagger... sure does make strange decisions sometimes.

Date: July 28, 2015 03:03

matxil
Of course, saying people don't like Dirty Work because it's too "hard rock" is a rather silly thing to say.
What's so hard-rock about "Back To Zero" (to mention the worst song they ever did ever) or "Too Rude", or "Winning Ugly" (which I like, but the rest of the world hates), "Harlem Shuffle" or "Sleep Tonight"? The only song maybe "hard-rock" is "Fight", if for you "hard-rock" means just slamming chords and screaming something on top of it in a fake growling voice.

The reason most people hate this album is:
- The production is terrible, especially the drums, the bass and the keyboards
- The songs are lazy song-writing ("Back To Zero", "Don't Hold Back", "Fight" are the typical examples)
- There is no groove in most songs, which is a deadly sin on a Stones album
- Mick Jagger is pretending to be very angry about something but it sounds fake.
- It has "Back To Zero" on it.
- And "Hold Back".

- It has the horrendous "Winning Ugly" on it, to that point, their worst EVER.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha... fixed it for yez.

Date: July 28, 2015 03:07

matxil
Having said all that, over the years, the album becomes slightly more listenable for two reasons:
- There are a few (2 - 5 at most) songs on it which are ok to (very) good (One Hit).
- At least they tried some kind of "adventure", doing something "different", which is more than you can say about most of the stuff they did afterwards (apart from some of Keith's solo stuff)

Eh.

No.

It's not more listenable. It never will be. They didn't 'try' some kind of adventure, they vomited a giant yawn of music and shat a rainbow of Crayola artwork to match the shiny keyboard musitardism of Back To Zero and Winning Ugly. Fine guitar playing? Even the worst songs in rock may have excellent guitar playing on them. The songs still suck. Period. Even the good ones on this grease trap of an album.

Something different? UNDERCOVER, my man - the last true adventurous Stones LP as The Rolling Stones.

Date: July 28, 2015 03:08

HighwireC
2000man
Turner68
...the songwriting is pretty awful. that, and the very dated 80s production, is why i think it's one of their worst.

and I hate the cover too

So have a look:

and

2016, we'll see .... cool smiley

Yes. Holy crap, they clearly haven't learned anything.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:38

GasLightStreet
Olly
GasLightStreet
If there was ever an album the Stones could delete from their discography it would have to be DIRTY WORK. Or at least change it to an EP:

Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

Why would you exclude the album's opening track?

Because it sucks.

smileys with beer

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:41

The whole album is filler. Along with emotional rescue and Undercover.

Date: July 28, 2015 03:51

RockinJive
The whole album is filler. Along with emotional rescue and Undercover.

Eh. ER is way better than DW. And U is flat out awesome.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 28, 2015 07:15

GasLightStreet

It's not more listenable. It never will be. They didn't 'try' some kind of adventure, they vomited a giant yawn of music and shat a rainbow of Crayola artwork to match the shiny keyboard musitardism of Back To Zero and Winning Ugly. Fine guitar playing? Even the worst songs in rock may have excellent guitar playing on them. The songs still suck. Period. Even the good ones on this grease trap of an album.

Something different? UNDERCOVER, my man - the last true adventurous Stones LP as The Rolling Stones.

Too true! Spot on!

And right on with Undercover. Though I bet it sounded even better at one point.
And the only other recent adventure was Bridges To Babylon.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: July 28, 2015 12:06

dcba
The finished product (the DW album) darmatically fails to represent these 1985 sessions. There is indeed enough good material to make a 3-cd edition.

100% right.
The bonus CD of a Dirty Work Deluxe edition would be probably better than the original album, which would be embarassing...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 28, 2015 12:22

It´s a pity that some people will never understand how great Dirty Work is. It is sharp, dangerous and in no way outdated. The last great Stones-album in history, an overseen gem and one of their all-time best. Marvelous album from start to finish, any addition or exclusion would only ruin this masterpiece.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 28, 2015 13:15

HMS
It´s a pity that some people will never understand how great Dirty Work is. It is sharp, dangerous and in no way outdated. The last great Stones-album in history, an overseen gem and one of their all-time best. Marvelous album from start to finish, any addition or exclusion would only ruin this masterpiece.

Interesting. Where would you rank it in terms of quality amongst the studio albums?

Olly.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 28, 2015 13:31

2000man
Turner68
...the songwriting is pretty awful. that, and the very dated 80s production, is why i think it's one of their worst.

and I hate the cover too

The bit where Keith's knee is poised towards Mick's crotch as always amused me about the cover of the album lol A Freudian slip perhaps !!
As for the rest of the album cover its horrible, all dressed like Shawaddewaddy.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 28, 2015 13:44

HMS
Have a look at the title: "Dirty Work". This is exactly what you get. It is rough,raw and edgy. The songs are simple and straight forward. And it is surely not a good example for "horrible 80ies production". Compared to Tina Turner´s or David Bowie´s terrible 80ies efforts DW is almost old-fashioned production-wise. I think it is well produced, the use of keyboards is minimal for an 80ies album, only Winning Ugly and Back To Zero are typical 80ies, but Winning Ugly is still great, what a marvelous bass-line. Back To Zero grows with every listening, the bridge is irresistable. One Hit is exceptionally good and so are those fine little dirty rockers Had It With You and Dirty Work. Hold Back and Fight are not the most melodious songs the Stones ever wrote but are full of energy and kick ass. Too Rude is a fine example for Keith adopting Reggae. Harlem Shuffle knocks me out and Keith has his shining moment with a beautiful ballad. And I have to admit that I like Mick´s angry vocals a lot. He sounds so bold and full of energy. Me personally don´t think we will ever get an expanded version of Dirty Work, unfortunately it is very under-rated and under-rated albums usually do not get a deluxe-treatment. Finally what´s wrong with the cover? We have got dirty toilets and a parade of freaks on Stones-Covers, here we got a photo of the band wearing bright-colored clothes, nothing exceptional horrible to it.

Thought i was all alone in the world liking Dirty Work. At the time i loved it, From One Hit through to Sleep tonight its everything you say HMS and more besides. Sorry guys, i know its not Exile on Main Street but when it was released it was a refreshing change from Durran Durran lol.
I really like it, so there. People have been putting me off it ever since i first played it, but i got to be honest, it Rocks, and it rocks hard in your face with anger. Sleep tonight is a gem , its a lost underestimated classic in my mind.
It would of sold well had they toured with it, and those songs were written to be played live, Keith said at the time..

Date: July 28, 2015 13:52

Olly
Interesting. Where would you rank it in terms of quality amongst the studio albums?

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let It Bleed
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Exile On Main Street
5. Black And Blue
6. Dirty Work
5. Exile On Main Street
7. Undercover
8. Tattoo You

It is their best record since Black And Blue.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 28, 2015 13:57

steaming pile of $hit

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 28, 2015 14:02

HMS
Olly

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let It Bleed
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Exile On Main Street
5. Black And Blue
6. Dirty Work
5. Exile On Main Street
7. Undercover
8. Tattoo You

So you think Exile is both better and worse than Dirty Work?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2015 14:05

.... wait till they discover the Brian era ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 28, 2015 14:10

matxil
HMS
Olly

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let It Bleed
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Exile On Main Street
5. Black And Blue
6. Dirty Work
5. Exile On Main Street
7. Undercover
8. Tattoo You

So you think Exile is both better and worse than Dirty Work?

By mistake i double-mentioned Exile. Actually it goes like

4. Exile
5. Black And Blue
6. Dirty Work
7. Undercover

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 28, 2015 14:26

I always thought DW was much better than given credit for; it's rotten reputation seemingly stems from 3 tracks in particular - 'Winning Ugly', 'Back to Zero', 'Hold Back'. Perhaps 'Fight' could be added also; many seem to severely dislike that one too.

The remaining tracks, many discussed on Rene's Track Talk, have received praise from many

One Hit (to the Body) - Great rocker I think; lyrically and musically well done.

Too Rude - Always loved it; Keef duetting with Jimmy Cliff, Ronnie on drums; a keeper

Sleep Tonight - Not up there with 'Slipping Away', but an affecting ballad nonetheless.

Dirty Work - Very good rock track; the guitar breakdown in the middle is glorious!

Harlem Shuffle - Good cover of a great track

Had it With You - Minimalist, a B Side really, but not a bad track.

That's 6 tracks that routinely are praised by many, over half the album. The sessions produced songs which could have really altered the quality, 'Crushed Pearl' bootleg contains some real winners.

I take the point that in the era of Duran Duran, Bon Jovi..etc, this raw sounding rock would have been a welcome change, and even though it's not near the quality of the Stones 60s and 70s albums, I do feel it's reputation is far worse than the album actually is.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 28, 2015 14:41

HMS

I appreciate your lucid opinion regarding this album, HMS.

Refreshing, certainly.

Olly.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 28, 2015 15:06

Yet this album has approached the Stones many fans at the time, many of my friends have discovered the Stones thanks to this album that still adore.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2015 15:46

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 28, 2015 17:29

Silver Dagger

Silver Dagger:
"I think the working name for this project should be You Can't Polish A Turd".

You are working on the artwork now Silver Dagger?

Date: July 30, 2015 04:48

HMS

How the blind deaf have spoken.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2015 04:50

I'm all for a reworked disco remix of Hold Back (Don't Hold Back).

Anyone with me?!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 30, 2015 04:56

dcba
More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
Sorry. No. There's no improving a pile of shit other than to make it bigger and smellier.

Yupe!

You're both wrong. The finished product (the DW album) darmatically fails to represent these 1985 sessions. There is indeed enough good material to make a 3-cd edition.

But good luck persuading Mick to rework this one = to relive this period of the band's history! grinning smiley

The are right. Album smells worst then dead fish. The whole album and also the 80's was an embarrassment to rock and roll. This was the lowest point for The Stones musically. I wish this album would just go away forever.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 30, 2015 05:00

GasLightStreet
HMS

You know GLS I enjoy your posts, You speak the truth on this board. TY

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 30, 2015 05:44

Perks loves it & doesn't give a monkeys if you don't.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 30, 2015 06:20

I've already expressed my opinion on Dirty Work in the Album Talk thread, but it will always have a place in my heart, since it was the first new Rolling Stones album I ever bought. I don't like Fight, Hold Back, or Back To Zero, so it's not among the albums that I could listen to from beginning to end without wanting to skip some tracks. But the rest of the songs I like a lot.

Just my opinion!

Date: July 30, 2015 16:42

More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
HMS

You know GLS I enjoy your posts, You speak the truth on this board. TY

Thanks, I entertain myself and laugh at most everything, regardless of how true it is!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home