Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Public Enemy sample HONKY TONK WOMEN for hip hop song (after 25-year legal wait)
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 09:25

Listen here >>> [youtu.be]

From Entertainment Weekly:

Chuck D on how Public Enemy finally got to sample the Rolling Stones' 'Honky Tonk Woman'

The legendary rapper tells the story behind the track that's been 25 years in the making

Groundbreaking hip-hop group Public Enemy have been releasing politically-charged music since their 1987 debut, Yo!, Bum Rush the Show. By the early ’90s, they had four highly successful albums, scored five Grammy nominations, and showed no signs of slowing down.

One of those albums, 1990’s Fear of a Black Planet, was meant to have a track that sampled the Rolling Stones’ tune “Honky Tonk Woman” but the group couldn’t get clearance for it. That changed this week with the group’s new album Man Plans, God Laughs, which features that track and was released Wednesday on Spotify. ”It’s probably one of the best records we’ve ever done,” Chuck D tells EW. “But you didn’t hear it on Fear of a Black Planet because we had to wait and go through some things so we could clear it through the publishers.”

The rapper says the Stones were into the track when frontman Mick Jagger played it 15 years ago. “I remember in 1990, we were getting ready to tour France, and the Rolling Stones were playing somewhere before we actually came in, and a journalist told one of our tour managers that they actually gave the record to Mick Jagger, and he had listened to it and gave it a thumb’s up like, ‘This is some shit!’” he says. “Strangely enough, on this album [Man Plans, God Laughs] we got cleared to do a record based around the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Woman“—ours is called “Honky Tonk Rules.”

“Honky Tonk Rules” is just one of Man Plans’ 11 tracks. The title track got a haunting video treatment this week, and the clip follows a young boy trying to get a grip on the violent world he inherited. The music video highlights Chuck D’s pointed lyrics, “Am I radical, am I pacifist? / Am I scared to fight? / I ain’t asking you / Am I grown? Do I stand up? / Am I owned?”—and ends with the boy as a man, holding his young daughter.

[www.ew.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 09:44 by Title5Take1.

Re: Public Enemy sample HONKY TONK WOMEN for hip hop song (after 25-year legal wait)
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 23, 2015 09:47

I wonder why they don't mention that ABKCO would be the ones causing the legal problems.
Failing to mention that means everyone will blame it on the Stones, as they did (still do) with that Verve mess.

Re: Public Enemy sample HONKY TONK WOMEN for hip hop song (after 25-year legal wait)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2015 10:03

Sounds like a tiny piece of Moonlight Mile at the end of fade on Do You want To Go Our Way

ROCKMAN

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 23, 2015 10:16

This is not a sample.

It is a full coverversion using a sample.

And: A bit too tight to the original - too plain.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2015 10:30

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 12:46

this is pretty cool. thanks for posting.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 23, 2015 13:35

this has to be the first time that ABKCO got it right.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2015 16:46

caschimann
This is not a sample.

It is a full coverversion using a sample.

And: A bit too tight to the original - too plain.

yeah that lacked a bit of imagination on their part.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 23, 2015 17:05

No Sympathy From the Devil...seems to only sample the title, though the drum beat is a bit familiar.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 23, 2015 22:20

Honky Tonk Women was sampled for this classic joint by Ultramagnetic MC's in 1989.

Travelling At The Speed Of Thought

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 8, 2016 18:04

Date: June 8, 2016 18:15

disgrace

Date: June 8, 2016 18:18

instead of "sampling someone elses published content why dont they creat there own orginal content

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 8, 2016 18:47

with sssoul
I wonder why they don't mention that ABKCO would be the ones causing the legal problems.
Failing to mention that means everyone will blame it on the Stones, as they did (still do) with that Verve mess.

Did you read it? It says it clearly: “But you didn’t hear it on Fear of a Black Planet because we had to wait and go through some things so we could clear it through the publishers.”

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: June 8, 2016 18:59

Hope that this is a joke as the song on the video with bits of Honkey Tonk Women inserted is absolutely rank rotten .
Pretty certain that abkco or the Stones would ban the use of this as it absolute tripe.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 10, 2016 22:56

The structure is basically HTW, along with the beat, which is clearly not Charlie, but the one guitar lick is Keith. It's incredibly bad.

Really strange.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home