Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Next Rerelease
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:27

Right now, I would rank the 3 bonus discs in this order, 1)SG 2)Exile 3)SF. On the latest, the live stuff is really cool, but I was somewhat disappointed in the "bonus" outtakes disc. I like it, but they left some really good,(better IMO) material off. Will there be a LIB bonus I wonder? The timeline is very close, and we know they've blurred it before- Title 5 comes to mind immediately. I thought for sure we'd get Travelin' Man, Still a Fool, and "Goin' Down the Line"......we didn't. These would have been more interesting to me, maybe I'm wrong.

I can think of two others I really hope they do, GHS/IORR(combine it if need be!) And ER. Yes, ER doesn't necessarily deserve it, but SG III would be redundant. The wealth of material from the period surely warrants it!

Any thoughts?

Re: The Next Rerelease
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:31

Most outtakes/demo versions/alternate takes stay in the archives for good reason. May they never see the light of day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 14:32 by HMS.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:37

I really hope an early (1963-1967) outtakes, demos, covers, lives box-release!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 14:38 by 1962.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:57

Voodoo Lounge has loads of material available
As the album was a commercial success, it might be a good idea

Too bad they missed the 20th anniversary opportunity last year

I

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: July 22, 2015 15:04

thumbs up

Date: July 22, 2015 15:18

HMS
Most outtakes/demo versions/alternate takes stay in the archives for good reason. May they never see the light of day.

Well, we've already heard most of this stuff in various forms, and moving forward, beyond LIB, you've got Save Me, Drift Away, etc..... Late 70's have Munich Hilton, Fiji Jim, Misty Roads....etc.

While I would buy and appreciate a new album- All these songs beat OMS and D&G.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: July 22, 2015 15:21

What about Beggars Banquet?
Would be nice withsongs as Pay your dues, Family, Hamburger to go, Highway Child and the making of Sympathy For The Devil

Date: July 22, 2015 15:28

spunky
What about Beggars Banquet?
Would be nice withsongs as Pay your dues, Family, Hamburger to go, Highway Child and the making of Sympathy For The Devil

I'm game, but it is a little early to include the regrettable omissions from SF. Frankly, there may only be 1 or 2 albums that they couldn't do this with. Personally, I actually prefer ABB to B2B, but I don't think I need a bonus of either.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 22, 2015 15:32

HMS

Actually, I like the raw Versions from Exile on Main St. very much:

- Sweet Virginia alternate take without background vocals
- Shine a light alternate take without background vocals, different guitar solo
- All down the line 'acoustic' Version

The rawer Versions of the first two Songs mentioned shows how great they are. I listen to them more frequently than to the Album versions!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 22, 2015 16:23

Hasn't got the ABKCO Music & Records, Inc.the rights/copyrights on Let It Bleed and BB (and the older albums)?. I think that they'll release a deluxe edition of Tattoo You or SW.

But I'd like to listen to some live concerts from 1970 or 1972 in good quality not an outtakes disc with the original one.

Anyway I think that their best deluxe edition is Some Girls.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:49

DoctorFreddie

thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 22, 2015 18:13

I know this is criminal but it makes sense...

Ah ha ha ha ha - they could even expand it!

And to jump on top of the STICKY FINGERS reissue... rerelease...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 18:15 by GasLightStreet.

Date: July 22, 2015 18:43

Thrylan
On the latest, the live stuff is really cool, but I was somewhat disappointed in the "bonus" outtakes disc. I like it, but they left some really good,(better IMO) material off. Will there be a LIB bonus I wonder? The timeline is very close, and we know they've blurred it before- Title 5 comes to mind immediately. I thought for sure we'd get Travelin' Man, Still a Fool, and "Goin' Down the Line"......we didn't. These would have been more interesting to me, maybe I'm wrong.

It mystifies me as to the amount of people complaining about dissatisfied with the Sticky Fingers bonus disc(s). Sure, we've received the Clapton version of 'Brown Sugar' and a version of 'Wild Horses' minus the electric instruments, but look at the NEW material there is...A 3:24 version of 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', a nearly six(!) minute version of 'B!tch', and a version of 'Dead Flowers' that may or may not be the one on bootlegs already (I'll admit, I usually keep relaying the last two I mentioned. winking smiley) What's more? The 'lost' two Leeds tracks were finally released, as were a few tracks from the Roadhouse gigs.

I doubt there will be any pre-Sticky Fingers releases, due to the simple fact that those are Decca recordings. If Decca would like to release their own Archive series, fantastic (I'd love to be proven wrong), but if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. The last remasters they released for those were in 2002, right? And they seem to sell fairly well without any trimmings.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 22, 2015 18:44

emotional rescue should get the deluxe treatment .there should be many leftover tracks from Pathe Marconi sessions and i think from Montserate (if i am correcet about that location )and i also think they laid down tracks in Paris also

Date: July 22, 2015 18:48

TheGreek
emotional rescue should get the deluxe treatment .there should be many leftover tracks from Pathe Marconi sessions and i think from Montserate (if i am correcet about that location )and i also think they laid down tracks in Paris also

Weren't a few Steel Wheels sessions there, or was Emotional Rescue also recorded there as well, or am I just getting my sessions/geography mixed up?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 22, 2015 19:33

STEEL WHEELS was recorded on Monserrat in the Caribbean, ER was in the Bahamas on Nassau.

Date: July 22, 2015 19:43

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Thrylan
On the latest, the live stuff is really cool, but I was somewhat disappointed in the "bonus" outtakes disc. I like it, but they left some really good,(better IMO) material off. Will there be a LIB bonus I wonder? The timeline is very close, and we know they've blurred it before- Title 5 comes to mind immediately. I thought for sure we'd get Travelin' Man, Still a Fool, and "Goin' Down the Line"......we didn't. These would have been more interesting to me, maybe I'm wrong.

It mystifies me as to the amount of people complaining about dissatisfied with the Sticky Fingers bonus disc(s). Sure, we've received the Clapton version of 'Brown Sugar' and a version of 'Wild Horses' minus the electric instruments, but look at the NEW material there is...A 3:24 version of 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', a nearly six(!) minute version of 'B!tch', and a version of 'Dead Flowers' that may or may not be the one on bootlegs already (I'll admit, I usually keep relaying the last two I mentioned. winking smiley) What's more? The 'lost' two Leeds tracks were finally released, as were a few tracks from the Roadhouse gigs.

I doubt there will be any pre-Sticky Fingers releases, due to the simple fact that those are Decca recordings. If Decca would like to release their own Archive series, fantastic (I'd love to be proven wrong), but if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. The last remasters they released for those were in 2002, right? And they seem to sell fairly well without any trimmings.

I think its due to the specific selections. Not only have we heard most of them, (in decent quality), but there was nothing "new". Most of us are yearning for new material. Or, to put it another way, I don't ever need another BS or DF, I need more Plundered or Yellow Cab, at least they feel new.

Date: July 22, 2015 19:47

pepganzo
Hasn't got the ABKCO Music & Records, Inc.the rights/copyrights on Let It Bleed and BB (and the older albums)?. I think that they'll release a deluxe edition of Tattoo You or SW.

But I'd like to listen to some live concerts from 1970 or 1972 in good quality not an outtakes disc with the original one.

Agreed on SG. Unfortunately, you are likely correct on the ABKCO thing, really stinks- If Still a Fool and Travelin' Man are victims of this, Taylorites should take to the streets.

Date: July 22, 2015 19:52

dandelion1967
DoctorFreddie

thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up

While not my first choice, I'd be very interested in outtake originals. I would prefer this to aborted cover songs. It would be interesting to hear their own growth process...... Particularly 66'-67'.

Date: July 22, 2015 20:00

TheGreek

Personally, this might be my greatest hope. As a youngster, I became interested in the Stones @ 1980- SSC hooked me! When I hear Love You Too Much, it's like time travel!!! I know not everyone shares this feeling, but we all have our periods! I think there are possibly 2 records left of Pathe Marconi material, if you go through all of it.

Date: July 22, 2015 20:51

Thrylan
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Thrylan

I think its due to the specific selections. Not only have we heard most of them, (in decent quality), but there was nothing "new". Most of us are yearning for new material. Or, to put it another way, I don't ever need another BS or DF, I need more Plundered or Yellow Cab, at least they feel new.

Fair point, I can see where you're coming from, even if I'm not 100% on board (maybe at least 50%...) When I saw that there were two outtakes not formerly available, I was shocked (to say the least) and thought that maybe some sort of mistake had been made, what with no overdubs or anything!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:27

pepganzo

For the zillionth time:
ABKCO vs. Stones is not an issue anymore and hasn't been for years.
ABKCO published material was used on Exile Deluxe as well, without any issues.

Date: July 22, 2015 21:33

To your point, I was delighted when I heard the CYHMK alternate take, caught me off guard really. It's a very fine line. While I love SG deluxe, 3 tracks stand out, Claudine (ironically I already had it), Yellow Cab and Love You Too Much, I thought several others were "touched too much", Spare Parts and Loving Cup from Exile are examples of this. With alternative takes, you don't really have that problem. Of course, like a lemming, I'll buy what they give me!

On a side note, I thought Pass the Wine sounded like an above average modern track. It seems to bridge that gap well. Also, the solo on LYTM sounds period perfect, guitar tone, etc, I wonder if it was original or redone, and/or, to what extent.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:47

Don't laugh (yet) but DW would be a good candidate : there's a bunch of good songs that sound nothing the album we know and which would make a nice 3-cd set : "Crushed Pearl" the sublime "What Am I Gonna Do With Your Love" etc etc.

I can live without an alt version of "Fight" or "Winning Ugly" but "Invitation" or "Talk Is Cheap" deserve a legit release...

Date: July 22, 2015 21:58

dcba
Don't laugh (yet) but DW would be a good candidate : there's a bunch of good songs that sound nothing the album we know and which would make a nice 3-cd set : "Crushed Pearl" the sublime "What Am I Gonna Do With Your Love" etc etc.

I can live without an alt version of "Fight" or "Winning Ugly" but "Invitation" or "Talk Is Cheap" deserve a legit release...

I'll walk down this road with you. I would also assert there is a logic to it. Pathe Marconi, and forward are post Toronto bust. We all know Mick had gradually taken over, and Keith was ready to help steer again. From 77', at least through 94', more was left nearly finished on the floor than was ever released. I wonder if this was part of the struggle? Keith would bring a rocker and push it until it was obvious Mick wasn't in, and rather than compromise, just bull headedly start over, and vice versa. It's fair to say, on SG, they picked well, on ER, pretty well, TY, drew from everywhere very well, UC, not as well and on DW they couldn't have been much worse at picking. You touch on something that always puzzled me- Claudine, Yellow Cab, We Had it All and Let's go Steady are better than 90% of what they put out from UC forward- How could they not releases them?!? Puzzling

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:03

Blueranger
pepganzo

For the zillionth time:

While they are obviously sharing a cooperative spirit with ABKCO, releasing a record with a majority of or all ABKCO owned songs isn't probably going to happen when other releases they could do would put more money it their pockets. They aren't releasing this stuff to please the fanbase, it's all about business, imo, and it doesn't make as good business sense to promote songs you don't own vs. ones you do. That is the issue and it's unfortunate because I'd love nothing more than to hear outtakes and alternates from the BB/LIB sessions.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:12

Naturalust
Blueranger
pepganzo

For the zillionth time:

While they are obviously sharing a cooperative spirit with ABKCO, releasing a record with a majority of or all ABKCO owned songs isn't probably going to happen when other releases they could do would put more money it their pockets. They aren't releasing this stuff to please the fanbase, it's all about business, imo, and it doesn't make as good business sense to promote songs you don't own vs. ones you do. That is the issue and it's unfortunate because I'd love nothing more than to hear outtakes and alternates from the BB/LIB sessions.

You do know that every ABKCO release these days are blessed by The Stones themselves, right? ABKCO can't just release what they want and a new ABKCO release will have to be signed off by them. The Stones may not own the songs, but they are getting a big royality percent from every new release. It is without doubt, also a way to get get money.

Date: July 22, 2015 22:21

Thrylan
dcba

I'll walk down this road with you. I would also assert there is a logic to it. Pathe Marconi, and forward are post Toronto bust. We all know Mick had gradually taken over, and Keith was ready to help steer again. From 77', at least through 94', more was left nearly finished on the floor than was ever released. I wonder if this was part of the struggle? Keith would bring a rocker and push it until it was obvious Mick wasn't in, and rather than compromise, just bull headedly start over, and vice versa. It's fair to say, on SG, they picked well, on ER, pretty well, TY, drew from everywhere very well, UC, not as well and on DW they couldn't have been much worse at picking. You touch on something that always puzzled me- Claudine, Yellow Cab, We Had it All and Let's go Steady are better than 90% of what they put out from UC forward- How could they not releases them?!? Puzzling

If the Stones do reissue Dirty Work with bonuses, then it truly will be a new day, and hopefully a sight of things to come.

Date: July 22, 2015 22:26

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Thrylan
dcba

If the Stones do reissue Dirty Work with bonuses, then it truly will be a new day, and hopefully a sight of things to come.

It would be a "left field" move.

I'm curious, do you think there could be something to my theory above- In 69'71' they had "too much" material, but mainly from record company BS. Not until about 78' did this deluge of material begin to appear.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:29

Blueranger
Naturalust
Blueranger
pepganzo

For the zillionth time:

You do know that every ABKCO release these days are blessed by The Stones themselves, right? ABKCO can't just release what they want and a new ABKCO release will have to be signed off by them. The Stones may not own the songs, but they are getting a big royality percent from every new release. It is without doubt, also a way to get get money.

It's my understanding that publishing and copyright royalties are split between the Stones and ABKCO so you could also say any Stones release from that period is blessed by ABKCO. Both parties have to agree to the releases which is not stopping releases like it did in the past but my point was that they have to share the pot for those early songs and no doubt that factors into their business decision of what to release next.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home