Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Next Rerelease
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:37

I think we can all agree that monetarily, both parties benefit mutually. However, the Stones are no doubt concerned to a certain extent about "artistic integrity", and rightfully so. That being said, most of the stuff we want should eventually become available. But this is the Stones.....

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 23:08

i feel that the stones may have missed a good commercial opportunity by not releasing a lot of stuff that has surfaced on bootlegs. maybe they are waiting till they stop, who knows.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 22, 2015 23:49

buttons67
maybe they are waiting till they stop, who knows.

Imo that was the common 'wisdom" among rock royalty. You'd look back when you were pretty much inactive. Then came Dylan and his Bootleg Series (1991?) who brilliantly showed you could open the archives and still be relevant as a contemporary creative force.

Neil did the same so I guess that's the reason why we got the expanded reissues.
But obviously Mick's heart not really in these. He sees them as vehicules to promote the current Stones activities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 23:56 by dcba.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 22, 2015 23:55

I really hope an early (1963-1967) outtakes, demos, covers, lives box-release!

Ditto.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 23, 2015 00:18

Blueranger
pepganzo
Hasn't got the ABKCO Music & Records, Inc.the rights/copyrights on Let It Bleed and BB (and the older albums)?. I think that they'll release a deluxe edition of Tattoo You or SW.

But I'd like to listen to some live concerts from 1970 or 1972 in good quality not an outtakes disc with the original one.

Anyway I think that their best deluxe edition is Some Girls.

For the zillionth time:
ABKCO vs. Stones is not an issue anymore and hasn't been for years.
ABKCO published material was used on Exile Deluxe as well, without any issues.

Thank you I did not know about that.
Happy to read that ABKCO vs. Stones is not an issue anymore.
thumbs up

Have a nice day.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 23, 2015 03:35

buttons67
i feel that the stones may have missed a good commercial opportunity by not releasing a lot of stuff that has surfaced on bootlegs. maybe they are waiting till they stop, who knows.

On the surface, you're absolutely right. These archive releases come 10, 15 or even 20 years too late. Back then, they would have shifted approximately 5 to 10 times more copies of this stuff. But it's a sad fact that that was an era when neither the Stones nor their record companies/distributors were all too interested in releasing archive live or studio recordings. New albums and Greatest Hits/Best Of compilations, that's what they were looking forward to. I remember when the Stones catalog was shifted from CBS/Sony to Virgin, Virgin initially had zero interest to re-release Love You Live, Still Live and Flashpoint - they came 3 or 4 years after the studio albums. And Virgin had zero, and I mean: ZERO interest in "plundering" the Stones archives for unreleased material. The band itself made big money with hugely sucessful tours, so there was no interest from them either.

Waiting till they stop is not a good option either. Considering the ever shrinking market in general and for "old" acts like them especially, an album's worth of, let's say, Beggars Banquet outtakes will most likely not sell more than 5-10.000 copies worldwide in ten years from now. Not an income that would water their mouths, I'm afraid!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 03:36 by alimente.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:29

MattClifford

I think the answer may be in Matt's clever post above. This could be a very
interesting expanded reissue depending on what is available. If highlighted
on tour we would certainly hear a few rarely played live tunes. Without having
the track list in front of me, "Angie" is the only commonly played song. "Silver
Train" was played in Japan last year - but only once or twice.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:32

i'd like to see a talk is cheap deluxe set.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:33

Naturalust
Blueranger
Naturalust
Blueranger
pepganzo
Hasn't got the ABKCO Music & Records, Inc.the rights/copyrights on Let It Bleed and BB (and the older albums)?. I think that they'll release a deluxe edition of Tattoo You or SW.

But I'd like to listen to some live concerts from 1970 or 1972 in good quality not an outtakes disc with the original one.

For the zillionth time:

While they are obviously sharing a cooperative spirit with ABKCO, releasing a record with a majority of or all ABKCO owned songs isn't probably going to happen when other releases they could do would put more money it their pockets. They aren't releasing this stuff to please the fanbase, it's all about business, imo, and it doesn't make as good business sense to promote songs you don't own vs. ones you do. That is the issue and it's unfortunate because I'd love nothing more than to hear outtakes and alternates from the BB/LIB sessions.

You do know that every ABKCO release these days are blessed by The Stones themselves, right? ABKCO can't just release what they want and a new ABKCO release will have to be signed off by them. The Stones may not own the songs, but they are getting a big royality percent from every new release. It is without doubt, also a way to get get money.

It's my understanding that publishing and copyright royalties are split between the Stones and ABKCO so you could also say any Stones release from that period is blessed by ABKCO. Both parties have to agree to the releases which is not stopping releases like it did in the past but my point was that they have to share the pot for those early songs and no doubt that factors into their business decision of what to release next.

you're confusing how royalties are divided up with who actually has the ability to issue a release. totally different things.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:43

So I guess no one likes my idea of reissuing REWIND, eh? Makes total Stones sense to me. Hell, they finally released JUMP BACK in the US in 2004. Brilliant, right? Right after FORTY LICKS?

Well it was. Damn thing charted for quite some time. Blew my mind.

Date: July 23, 2015 07:56

GasLightStreet
So I guess no one likes my idea of reissuing REWIND, eh? Makes total Stones sense to me. Hell, they finally released JUMP BACK in the US in 2004. Brilliant, right? Right after FORTY LICKS?

Deluxe Rewind...... Deluxe Jump Back.......Deluxe Forty Licks.......Super Deluxe GRRR, (Includes a piece of the gorilla suit, and a remastered copy of Made in the Shade picture disc) .......

I can't really joke about Sucking in the 70's- Killer version of Whip.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 23, 2015 14:57

Turner68
Naturalust
Blueranger
Naturalust
Blueranger
pepganzo

For the zillionth time:

While they are obviously sharing a cooperative spirit with ABKCO, releasing a record with a majority of or all ABKCO owned songs isn't probably going to happen when other releases they could do would put more money it their pockets. They aren't releasing this stuff to please the fanbase, it's all about business, imo, and it doesn't make as good business sense to promote songs you don't own vs. ones you do. That is the issue and it's unfortunate because I'd love nothing more than to hear outtakes and alternates from the BB/LIB sessions.

You do know that every ABKCO release these days are blessed by The Stones themselves, right? ABKCO can't just release what they want and a new ABKCO release will have to be signed off by them. The Stones may not own the songs, but they are getting a big royality percent from every new release. It is without doubt, also a way to get get money.

It's my understanding that publishing and copyright royalties are split between the Stones and ABKCO so you could also say any Stones release from that period is blessed by ABKCO. Both parties have to agree to the releases which is not stopping releases like it did in the past but my point was that they have to share the pot for those early songs and no doubt that factors into their business decision of what to release next.

you're confusing how royalties are divided up with who actually has the ability to issue a release. totally different things.

Actually I'm not. I suggest you go do a bit of research on the ABKCO/Rolling Stones issue before you make comments on my confusion. There have been several threads about the issue here which would probably be a good place to start.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2015 17:11

GasLightStreet

rewind was reissued a few years ago, that and SITS. I imagine it didn't sell too well, and was rendered redundant when GRRR! came out.

I was also amazed at how well Jump Back did...maybe that's why Rewind's reissue did so poorly.

Date: July 23, 2015 17:41

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

rewind was reissued a few years ago, that and SITS. I imagine it didn't sell too well, and was rendered redundant when GRRR! came out.

I was also amazed at how well Jump Back did...maybe that's why Rewind's reissue did so poorly.

REWIND has never been reissued except for the first time in came out on CD in 1986.

Only MADE IN THE SHADE and SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES were reissued by VIRGIN. Ume only reissued JUMP BACK in 2009.

Date: July 23, 2015 17:45

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

REWIND has never been reissued except for the first time in came out on CD in 1986.

Only MADE IN THE SHADE and SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES were reissued by VIRGIN. Ume only reissued JUMP BACK in 2009.

damn...you're right skippy. I hate when you're right!

Date: July 23, 2015 17:50

I was being slightly sarcastic about reissuing REWIND (it would be brilliant, though). Slightly meaning it wouldn't surprise me if they did reissue it, somehow. For whatever reason they haven't. Updating it with just three songs (Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions and the horrible Rock And A Hard Place for some reason), adding Bitch, Hot Stuff and Wild Horses and renaming it JUMP BACK was beyond lame.

Date: July 23, 2015 17:52

I remember listening to Rewind on cassette when it came out, on a trip to the beach. Even then it was an odd mish mash of songs. Don't forget Video Rewind.......there's a candidate for blue ray.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 17:54 by Thrylan.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 23, 2015 18:43

Doc
Voodoo Lounge has loads of material available
As the album was a commercial success, it might be a good idea

Too bad they missed the 20th anniversary opportunity last year

I

An execrable CD that sold on the back of a novel David Fincher video and a lot of PR. It's late era Stones-by-numbers. No doubt it will get its turn at the deluxe treatment when they've exhausted the gold mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 18:45 by Father Ted.

Date: July 23, 2015 18:50

Thrylan
I remember listening to Rewind on cassette when it came out, on a trip to the beach. Even then it was an odd mish mash of songs. Don't forget Video Rewind.......there's a candidate for blue ray.....

Friends had it in their car on CD. They LOVED it. At the time it was, perhaps, more invigorating than HOT ROCKS because it had the newer tunes on it like UOTN along side such brilliant tunes as Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo..., Emotional Rescue and Hang Fire (it would've been better if the UK and US versions were combined). It was a huge album to listen to in the mid-late 1980s. It really was a fantastic hits comp.

I was pleased as a pig in mud when SIT70s and MADE IN THE SHADE were reissued by Virgin.

Date: July 23, 2015 18:50

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Some things in life must be accepted.

Date: July 23, 2015 23:25

Thrylan

That could just be the best video they've ever done.

Date: July 23, 2015 23:25

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

True, and when it happens so rarely I mustn't really get my knickers in a twist.

Date: July 23, 2015 23:35

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

True, and when it happens so rarely I mustn't really get my knickers in a twist.

Knickers In A Twist - sounds like a Keith solo album title.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 24, 2015 00:58

GasLightStreet
Thrylan

Friends had it in their car on CD. They LOVED it. At the time it was, perhaps, more invigorating than HOT ROCKS because it had the newer tunes on it like UOTN along side such brilliant tunes as Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo..., Emotional Rescue and Hang Fire (it would've been better if the UK and US versions were combined). It was a huge album to listen to in the mid-late 1980s. It really was a fantastic hits comp.

I was pleased as a pig in mud when SIT70s and MADE IN THE SHADE were reissued by Virgin.

Hhahahahahaha, Loved your sentence ...I was pleased as a pig in mud
great linesmileys with beer
jeroen

Date: July 24, 2015 01:00

I'd really like to see GOATS HEAD SOUP and EMOTIONAL RESCUE get reissues but seeing that they used ER session material for the SG reissue...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:37

Super Deluxe version, please.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: July 24, 2015 04:21

Thrylan
I think its due to the specific selections. Not only have we heard most of them, (in decent quality), but there was nothing "new". Most of us are yearning for new material. Or, to put it another way, I don't ever need another BS or DF, I need more Plundered or Yellow Cab, at least they feel new.

WOW.

DOUBLE WOW.

WOW2

The Stones FINALLY open up with an entire 1971 concert in quality like we've never had (save for the Let It Rock EP or Spanish Sticky Vinyl), and you'd rather have tracks that the band decided 40 years ago were not good enough to come out or trax that the band cobbled on new sessions designed to sound old.

We love the Stones for all their work, but the reason this Board exists and the reason that people like us stick with it is not Plundered My Soul (which I like) or Do You Think I Really Care? (which I also like). No, the REAL reason is the way that the Stones F-R-A-C-T-U-R-E Jack Flash at Leeds or Live With Me at Leeds or Ramble at the Roundhouse. It's not Claudine (perhaps my favorite track off the Some Girls piece) that is a piece of rock and roll history. It is, however, a piece like the Clapton Brown Sugar that IS a hostoric moment in rock and roll.

Perhaps if we took all of outtakes across the board, within there it likely one incredible LP. Within the live shows therefrom are numerous incredible LPs.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: July 24, 2015 05:20

I'm not intentionally dogging BS with Clapton, but we've likely all heard it in at least decent quality- Concerning what IS on the CD, I find CYHMK to be the gem. Personally, I got a lot more out of PMS, So Divine, Pass The Wine and others you mentioned than the known stuff. No, I don't like the modern dubs, but it feels more new to me. I would also asert that most of us can come up with at least 12 previously unreleased tracks that we really want. Like PMS, there's likely a chestnut or two that none of us know about. That interests me more.

Date: July 24, 2015 20:40

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Knickers In A Twist - sounds like a Keith solo album title.

I was thinking Dire Straits actually. Knickers In A Twistin' By The Pool.

Date: July 24, 2015 20:41

Thrylan
I'm not intentionally dogging BS with Clapton, but we've likely all heard it in at least decent quality- Concerning what IS on the CD, I find CYHMK to be the gem. Personally, I got a lot more out of PMS, So Divine, Pass The Wine and others you mentioned than the known stuff. No, I don't like the modern dubs, but it feels more new to me. I would also asert that most of us can come up with at least 12 previously unreleased tracks that we really want. Like PMS, there's likely a chestnut or two that none of us know about. That interests me more.

Thoroughly agree...and we can certainly hope so.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home