Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Voodoo Lounge Rethink
Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:46

I will always love this album as it's the first new studio album I ever bought by the Stones.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:48

My own Voodoo Lounge:

01 Moon Is Up
02 Love Is Strong
03 I go wild
04 The Worst
05 Brand new car
06 You got it made
07 Honest Man
08 The Storm
09 Sparks Will Fly
10 Cocaine Blues
11 Break it down
12 You Got Me Rocking

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 22, 2015 01:02

GasLightStreet
Thrylan
Best post breakup tour and album. Was it forced retro? Maybe, bug IMO, Don't Was repeatedly thwarted Mick and his attempts to be what he's not- young and trendy. Likely why Mick ruined the next record with Babyface and the Dust Brothers.....sigh

Rainbows filler??? Give it another listen, possibly one of Ronnie's creative and interesting solos ever.

No, not filler. Ha ha - Sparks Will Fly is probably filler, the kind of song they can do in 3 minutes. Keith has that 7th jank he janks on a good bit, it's open G, it races... sounds like The Stones. Except it's a bit of a cringe. I just find BBRainbows boring. I've listened to it a lot, the album, all the songs. BBRainbows, as nice as it is, is just... a bit of a yawn. At least it has been for the past few years. I used to like it.

True- It's not the best track, but about a year ago, the solo jumped out at me and really seemed like a hidden gem. Agreed on SWF, but at the time, I thought as a whole, the album came off very well live. I caught them in Cleveland early in the tour. I believe we got LIS, YGMR, SWF, IGW, OOT AND The Worst........and it was a great show......I miss hearing new songs live for the first time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 22, 2015 02:23

I saw them twice on the VL tour. I thought the new songs fit in well live. I also liked the album a lot more then. Maybe because it was new. I believe the set list was almost exactly the same for months that first US leg. Two shows I saw they did the same VL songs:

You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild
The Worst
Love Is Strong

Date: July 22, 2015 03:31

They dropped LIS and moved Sympathy to that slot pretty early I thought.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 22, 2015 04:03

Thrylan
They dropped LIS and moved Sympathy to that slot pretty early I thought.

Vegas 2nd show............retrograde move......Stones painting by numbers after that....only my opinion of course, they used Sympathy as the beginning of the finale in '89/'90.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 04:04 by EddieByword.

Date: July 22, 2015 04:21

Yep, October 15.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 22, 2015 04:48

umakmehrd
HMS when did you become the Filler police?
I really like the album and love a lot of the songs you call Filler's
Thru n Thru is a gem

Ah, we're back to the filler discussion! I agree w/you about Thru and Thru. I can understand not liking it, but filler it is not. But Sparks Will Fly? Possibly. Replace "sharks will cry" with something better and I'll be back to discuss. They should record a song called "Filler" and see how it goes.

Date: July 22, 2015 05:16

Honestly, I preferred the LIS/MM combo for the intro to the "Voodoo" portion. This may be due to my absolute distaste for the post breakup Sympathy.......nice research fellas.

Date: July 22, 2015 08:20

Oddly enough SFTD worked on this tour. It was a bit dirty. They were rather sloppy on this tour.

Date: July 22, 2015 08:27

To me, the last good guitar tour. From this point on Chuck started to really dominate. Just because the guitars are loud, doesn't necessarily mean they are driving things.

Posted by: indystonesfan ()
Date: July 22, 2015 13:52

whitem8
The Worst is one of Keith's best! Saves the album.

Agreed. It really should be played live followed by Happy and Before they Make Me Run. Also think Jump On Top of Me needs to be played live. Reminds me of some of the more carefree cuts on Some Girls. Play it toward the middle before the show gets all serious with Shelter and Sympathy.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:04

I remember being really excited when VL came out - and as it was pre-social media, as we know it today, the main promo channel was still TV. Loved watching the MTV special with loads of band interviews.

Listened to it loads in the Summer of 94 and thought it was truly the Stones back on form, with both Mick and Keith (and Ron for that matter) having recently released really good solo albums and writing good material. A real band effort.

Hardly listen to it at all now. Still regularly dip into Steel Wheels however, which for me has stood the test of time a lot better.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:27

Baby break it down is worst Stones song...ever.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:32

I prefer Voodoo Stew and Brew thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:33

BILLPERKS
Baby break it down is worst Stones song...ever.

I go for sweethearts together for that title....so, the 2 worst Stones songs ever on what is (imo) overally a pretty decent album.........strange how things pan out sometimes....

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:35

This is a great album, sin is so underrated. Mick and Keith have been working together and with their whole band. If I'm not mistaken VL was recorded in the old house of Wood in Ireland. Perhaps this was the last time the whole band was found to work together in an album.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:35

stonehearted
^ See what I mean about too much of a good thing being not so good? grinning smiley

I should start a thread on paring down Exile to make it a better, single album, but I don't want to provoke any arguments here. winking smiley

Exile should be a single album indeed.

Date: July 22, 2015 15:23

Koen
I prefer Voodoo Stew and Brew thumbs up

At this moment, I have SG bonus neck and neck with the original.It happens, good sessions.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:22

buttons67
its quite a versatile album, like most good stones albums but it has too many nice songs and not a lot rock songs in there.

you got me rocking is ok at best and dont really know why it has become one of the most played stones songs ever.

sparks will fly is a bit weak.

some nice ballads, the worst, blinded by rainbows, out of tears. sweethearts together is a bit to nice, and cheesy.

moon is up is ok,

i go wild, brand new car and love is strong are the best 3 on the album.

its similar to goats head soup in my opinion but without the likes of star star and heartbreaker.

I agree 100%

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: July 22, 2015 17:30

Roll73
I remember being really excited when VL came out - and as it was pre-social media, as we know it today, the main promo channel was still TV. Loved watching the MTV special with loads of band interviews.

Listened to it loads in the Summer of 94 and thought it was truly the Stones back on form, with both Mick and Keith (and Ron for that matter) having recently released really good solo albums and writing good material. A real band effort.

Hardly listen to it at all now. Still regularly dip into Steel Wheels however, which for me has stood the test of time a lot better.

21 years ago this month (7-11-94 release date). Isn't that WHACK? To improve on that whack, consider this: THREE LPs ago!

Date: July 22, 2015 17:48

Testify
If I'm not mistaken VL was recorded in the old house of Wood in Ireland. Perhaps this was the last time the whole band was found to work together in an album.

99% of it was not worked on there. One song from the first session, July 1993 into August, made the album, the horrible Sweethearts Together. However, some of the best material was recorded at the second session, in September, at Ronnie's - You Got It Made, Make It Now and It's Funny. Officially released tracks, the two B-sides, were I'm Gonna Drive and Jump On Top Of Me from those sessions.

99% of the album was done at Windmill Lane Recording in November and December of 1993. That studio is now gone.

In early 1994 they did overdubs at Don Was’ private studio and A&M Recording Studios with Ivan Neville (org, bvoc), Bernard
Fowler (bvoc), Bobby Womack (bvoc), Benmont Tench (keyb), Luis Jardim
(perc), Lenny Castro (perc), Phil Jones (perc), David McMurray (sax), Mark
Isham (tp), Flaco Jimenez (accordion), Max Baca (bajo sexto), David Campbell
(string arranger)

and also mixed the album (with exception of I Go Wild) at A&M.

So I suppose that may have helped Don Was come up with his EXILE tinted view on the whole thing since they cut it in Europe and worked on it in California with a bunch of guests.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 20:07

JTHanis
I will always love this album as it's the first new studio album I ever bought by the Stones.

Me too. I still think it's one of their best, after the 63-74 corpus. Great songs, variety of moods, good playing, full guitar sound, great lyrics, and yes I LOVE SWEETHEARTS TOGHETER. A great tune, with great vocals from Mick and Keith. Don't really know what's wrong with it. Suck on the jugular and Brand new car are not good at all, but the rest is ok.
We IORRians have sure different points of view, and that's good. I still think Black and blue is not a good record, Steel wheels is a weak one, Bridges to Babylon is pure crap...

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 20:09 by dandelion1967.

Date: July 22, 2015 20:20

Absolutely!!! B2B and SW are awful, IMO. SW is nearly all Vegas, save ME,SSS and SA. And B2B is an overt attempt by Mick to take the power back, hip producers and all. You can say VL sounds dated, but B2B is the one I NEVER listen to, and SW might be the ONLY one I don't have on CD......that's a statement.

Posted by: FlatulentBubbles ()
Date: July 23, 2015 02:26

HMS
14. Thru and Thru -------->FILLER

You dope...

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 23, 2015 03:01

FlatulentBubbles
HMS
14. Thru and Thru -------->FILLER

You dope...

Word...might the most original song of Keiths career

Date: July 23, 2015 11:34

Thru And Thru is too long, has very few ideas and is absolutely boring to my ears. They needlessly stretched a 2-minute song to epic length. The lyrics are forgettable too. But I have to admit that How Can I Stop and Thief In The Night are even more boring and uninspired.

I love The Worst but can hardly bear Thru And Thru.

Date: July 23, 2015 12:32

HMS
Thru And Thru is too long, has very few ideas and is absolutely boring to my ears. They needlessly stretched a 2-minute song to epic length. The lyrics are forgettable too. But I have to admit that How Can I Stop and Thief In The Night are even more boring and uninspired.

I love The Worst but can hardly bear Thru And Thru.

Ok - granted that TAT and TITN might not be everyone's cup of tea (I happen to love them) but How Can I Stop - boring and uninspired!?? Think you might be missing something pal.

Date: July 23, 2015 12:41

Every time I hear How Can I Stop I fall asleep halfway through. Always wake up when Wayne Shorter sets in at the end. Horrible I don´t like Jazz and How Can I Stop ends as a jazz tune. And soprano sax is poison to my ears.

Date: July 23, 2015 12:57

HMS
Every time I hear How Can I Stop I fall asleep halfway through. Always wake up when Wayne Shorter sets in at the end. Horrible I don´t like Jazz and How Can I Stop ends as a jazz tune. And soprano sax is poison to my ears.

Ok then - nice one.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home