Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Matt Clifford
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 19, 2015 22:19

Does Matt have much to offer to the Stones.
He is a nice guy full of enthusiasm.
Is he a quite but valuable influence to the Stones, in the same mould that Chuck is undoubtedly these days.
Could he have a greater roll in the future
Matt clearly appears to enjoy playing with the Stones recently
He is so happy in his work, opposed to the more serious contrast that Chuck brings.

Re: Matt Clifford
Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: July 19, 2015 22:38

He ruined their sound on the Urban Jungle tour, so he should do us a favour and keep well away, even if he is a nice guy and full of enthusiasm.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 19, 2015 23:11

Looks to me a very nice guy.

The sound on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour sounded great to me,that was my first Stones tour, I don't know what you mean with that remark...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 20, 2015 00:02

Captain Teague
He ruined their sound on the Urban Jungle tour, so he should do us a favour and keep well away, even if he is a nice guy and full of enthusiasm.
thumbs up
Too much keyboard....

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 20, 2015 00:07

Yes...that horrible keyboard sound ruined many of the songs in 89/90. They sounded so cheap.

But it was probobly Micks idea to go for a clean sound. 80's keyboards in favour of guitars. Not so edgy as before...as a strategy to win the mainstream audience. And it worked. A commercial Success.

I have no problem with Matt C on this tour though.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 20, 2015 00:11

I respect the work he did with the choirs and he certainly didn't ruin the sound of the Zip Code tour. I generally don't like much (any) extra musicians playing with the Stones but I've really got no actual problems with Mr. Clifford this year.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 20, 2015 00:37

Matt Clifford has done a good job as a co-writer to Jagger on "Goddess in the Doorway".

Yet, the question remains: does Matt Clifford get unfairly blamed for "Streets Of Love"?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 20, 2015 02:12

Captain Teague

So your saying that when he was asked in 89 to join The Stones he should of said no? That doesnt make sense? Ruined the sound? Not the sound tech? Not the mixer? Not Mick or Keith that would stop anything if they didn't like it? Strange comment.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 02:56

More Hot Rocks
Captain Teague

So your saying that when he was asked in 89 to join The Stones he should of said no? That doesnt make sense? Ruined the sound? Not the sound tech? Not the mixer? Not Mick or Keith that would stop anything if they didn't like it? Strange comment.

well put :-)
any of us would play anything we were asked to if we were hired to go on tour with the stones.
it's not matt's fault. if he had said no, they would have hired someone else.

nor is it ron wood's fault, or chuck leavell's. or mick taylor's for quitting.

it's clear who bears responsibility for both the highs as well as the lows of the stones: mick and keith.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 20, 2015 03:21

Captain Teague

Typical response from someone who is clearly not a musician and just sits and watching the wheels and put down everything that is not an aquired taste.

Firstly, in the late eighties The Stones had a lot to prove. They needed to update themselves to be relevant again and that included a more polished sound, to attract a contemporary audience.

Secondly, you put all the blame on one man. He was not responsible for The Stones' decision to move away from the normally rougher sound. Everyone had realised, according to Jagger, that things had changed and the standards were higher regarding timing and playing. They could not just play like they did in 1981/82 this time. That Clifford played the keyboards, had nothing to do with The Stones' choices. If they didn't like what he was doing to the sound, they had given him the boot, which they obviously didn't do.

Thirdly, he needs some respect, as he is the guy on the recent tours, who has presented them, played diverse keyboards and french-horn, plus he is the one who keeps things together for Keith during his set, when the latter from time to time, gets confused over his own songs.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 20, 2015 03:36

More Hot Rocks
Captain Teague

Great comment MHR

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: July 20, 2015 03:39

Blueranger
Captain Teague

Typical response from someone who is clearly not a musician and just sits and watching the wheels and put down everything that is not an aquired taste.

Firstly, in the late eighties The Stones had a lot to prove. They needed to update themselves to be relevant again and that included a more polished sound, to attract a contemporary audience.

Secondly, you put all the blame on one man. He was not responsible for The Stones' decision to move away from the normally rougher sound. Everyone had realised, according to Jagger, that things had changed and the standards were higher regarding timing and playing. They could not just play like they did in 1981/82 this time. That Clifford played the keyboards, had nothing to do with The Stones' choices. If they didn't like what he was doing to the sound, they had given him the boot, which they obviously didn't do.

Thirdly, he needs some respect, as he is the guy on the recent tours, who has presented them, played diverse keyboards and french-horn, plus he is the one who keeps things together for Keith during his set, when the latter from time to time, gets confused over his own songs.

Yes, that French horn brought the tour to a whole new level...

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 20, 2015 03:46

JTHanis
Blueranger
Captain Teague

Ignorant comment

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 20, 2015 03:49

RockinJive
JTHanis
Blueranger
Captain Teague

Ignorant comment

Ignorant is right. Its a comment from a person that has no idea whats going on.

Date: July 20, 2015 03:59

More Hot Rocks
RockinJive
JTHanis
Blueranger
Captain Teague

Ignorant comment

Ignorant is right. Its a comment from a person that has no idea whats going on.

Sorry, I don't buy into the narrative that Clifford adds anything useful to the Stones.

If I'm "ignorant" for feeling that way, so be it. It's par for the course on this board nowadays that someone who doesn't share the views promulgated by the leader and the personalit cult around him is put down.

Date: July 20, 2015 04:09

JTHanis
If I'm "ignorant" for feeling that way, so be it. It's par for the course on this board nowadays that someone who doesn't share the views promulgated by the leader and the personalit cult around him is put down.

No worries mate, I actually thought your comment was funny. Matt is probably the only guy in history to play a french horn at a major rock show. You've at least got to give the guy credit for not calling up a french horn patch on his keyboard and playing the real thing instead.....now if we could only get Chuck on a real piano.

Date: July 20, 2015 04:13

Naturalust
JTHanis

No worries mate, I actually thought your comment was funny. Matt is probably the only guy in history to play a french horn at a major rock show. You've at least got to give the guy credit for not calling up a french horn patch on his keyboard and playing the real thing instead.....now if we could only get Chuck on a real piano.

Thanks for actually getting the humor.... I guess I should have put an emoticon for the dullards in the room.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 20, 2015 04:28

Captain Teague
100% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 20, 2015 05:48

Matt is Mick's talented yes man.
Im sure he's a nice fellow.
But I could have done without his Stones related presence.

Posted by: jonnylamar ()
Date: July 20, 2015 09:04

Good luck to matt. He has been around the stones family for more than 25 years, he plays his part, whether going ahead of the band on tour preparing the choir, or playing occasional keyboards or horn on stage. Tim Reis in recent tours has played some keyboards , maybe matt has taken on some of tims role as second keyboards. I remember back in the 70's stu would play occasional keyboards with nicky or billy or Mac , there has always been a place for the second keyboard role.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 20, 2015 15:57

Interesting how he managed to make his way back to the Stones (rehearsing the choir in 2012), the stage (French Horn in 2013), Keyboars (2014) and then the bows (2015). Not too many such examples in Stones history, a testament to his talent certainly!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:27

Took him 25 years, from bow to bow

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 20, 2015 20:33

What can Clifford contribute to The Stones?
I'll tell you: He can keep track of things and holding things together on stage and behind it. So many times he has saved Keith and Charlie's butt when they can't keep time. It's probably why they have hired him again. Sorry, but those so-called 'Stones-Fans' who puts Clifford down because he interrupts their glorified picture of The Stones, will have to think again. Live with the fact, that they now need other musicians to keep it together, while they are performing.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 20, 2015 21:28

Matt Clifford is a genuinely nice bloke and a very ,very good musician.

Only met him once at the Madrid show last year, and he was such a nice guy in conversation, even though I had a drink or two and was a bit merry. thumbs up

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 20, 2015 21:50

Sounds like there is a fair amount of support for Matt.
I just wanted to put a smile back on his face after he got offended with my remark before, "who needs him" although i did not appreciate him first time round in 89' 90' with his synthesisers i welcome his enthusiasm this time round.
Good on yer Matt cool smiley

Date: July 20, 2015 22:33

BILLPERKS
Matt is Mick's talented yes man.
Im sure he's a nice fellow.
But I could have done without his Stones related presence.

Mr Ripley.....

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 20, 2015 23:02

crawdaddy

This is also my impression.

Date: July 20, 2015 23:03

Rik
Took him 25 years, from bow to bow

Hope it doesn't take him that long to go from bow to wow. grinning smiley

Date: July 20, 2015 23:07

MartinB
crawdaddy

This is also my impression.
He is probably a very super duper nice guy. And probably plays keyboards very well. But that is not the issue.

The issue is, he was there with Chuck transforming Stones into another band, of course with accept from Mick Jagger. From a guitar band to a LV band.
Lots of us never liked it. Having keyboards dominating the sound.....

Date: July 21, 2015 05:16

Blueranger
What can Clifford contribute to The Stones?
I'll tell you: He can keep track of things and holding things together on stage and behind it. So many times he has saved Keith and Charlie's butt when they can't keep time. It's probably why they have hired him again. Sorry, but those so-called 'Stones-Fans' who puts Clifford down because he interrupts their glorified picture of The Stones, will have to think again. Live with the fact, that they now need other musicians to keep it together, while they are performing.

Are you saying one can't be a true Stones fan without respecting Matt Clifford?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home