Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: J. Geils Tour
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 19, 2015 05:47

Anyong going to some gigs on this tour? I was going to fly from California to NY for 4 shows (NY/Boston/AC/NY)...but it looks like I'm off to Cleveland instead.

I've been waiting 15 years to see this band...guess I got tired of waiting for them to come to the West Coast. Strange...it is as if they have something against going West of Ohio...plenty of tours...but never California (since 2001 reunions anyway).

Strange too...Peter Wolf records in Santa Barbara...plays the West Coast on solo...but the band has something against us.

Re: OT: J. Geils Tour
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 19, 2015 06:35

Yes bummer - no west coast.
Haven't seen them since 1981 opening for the Stones at L.A. Coliseum.
Is J. Geils still not part of the J.Geils Band?

Posted by: kidquick185 ()
Date: July 19, 2015 07:31

Might check out Cleveland also. With Ian Hunter opening this is a must see for sure!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 19, 2015 08:37

Give em some time to work west. I thought this was a missed opportunity. Thank you for the post.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 19, 2015 12:18

Really wanted to go and never ended up getting tickets. I probably still could, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me.

Not a huge J Geils fan. Like what I've heard but just not a lifelong or hardcore fan or anything. Seen Peter Wolf solo and he was FANTASTIC so I really wanted to see the whole band at some point. And with Ian Hunter opening it seemed like the perfect double bill, especially also being at the Beacon Theatre which is a great place to see a show.

Still may pull the trigger. Again, I felt since I wasn't a huge fan, and no one wanted to go with me, I could probably skip it but I had some serious interest when tickets went onsale. Maybe I'm making a huge mistake. Spent the last 4 years in Boston and missed them several times so was gonna use this to make up for that.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 19, 2015 12:48

Whammer Jammer lemme hear ya'..

LOVE the J Geils Band..
Also been waiting on a west coast appearance on one of their reunion tours.

Here's hoping this time they decide to extend to the West Coast...

Opened for the Stones in Seattle '81, was really hoping they would have opened on on of the Zip Code shows (Detroit!) I made..

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 19, 2015 13:39

I'll be seeing them in Michigan at Pine Knob (DTE Music Center). Can't wait!

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: July 19, 2015 15:24

Is J.Geils with the band? I thought that he wasn't with them anymore.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 19, 2015 15:29

jeff14
He is not. But they are still called and tour as the J Geils band. I hear his absence doesn't really affect much though.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 19, 2015 16:20

I have seen the non-J Geils version of the band. They are outstanding (as the original was). The bring fire and seem to truly enjoy the limited tours they are doing.

Duke Levine (a REALLY good guitarist for Boston) who toured with Geils when J was still in the band is with them. Kevin Barry, the guitarist from Peter Wolf's solo band is with them also...and is great.

J Geils Band was always an ensemble, with all the instruments playing equal parts in the show as a whole. The band used J's name as he already had a management contract, but it was never his band (at least not after 1969 of so). Duke is a better guitarist. J is not missed.

The other original member missing if Stephen Jo Bladd, the drummer. I read somewhere he has some health issues (I believe bad back) and simply cannot sit and play a kit that long.

I have seen Peter Wolf with his solo band, and J Geils Band in the past 4 years...both are worth whatever is being charged.

On this tour, I am seeing them in Lewiston, NY (near Niagara Falls). Reasonably priced tickets (general admission for $12!) and should draw 8,000 to 10,000 people. It is going to be 9an outdoor) Houseparty!

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: July 19, 2015 16:40

I suppose that most folks went for Wolf's raps. I really like the J.Geils Band and it just seems weird to tour with the name of a group member who is no longer in the group. Full House is a top three live album.

Date: July 19, 2015 17:18

shattered
Give em some time to work west. I thought this was a missed opportunity. Thank you for the post.

I'll let you give em some time...17 years (forgot about the benefit reunion in 1999) is long enough for me.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: July 19, 2015 18:20

Got tix to see them at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. Haven't seen them in almost 30 years! Looking forward to a great show with Wooofah Goofah and Magic Dick on the lickety stick!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 19, 2015 18:35

Great band. Saw 'em years ago and earlier this year with Bob Seger. Second best concert value out there - behind you know who.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 19, 2015 21:54

steverogan
Got tix to see them at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. Haven't seen them in almost 30 years! Looking forward to a great show with Wooofah Goofah and Magic Dick on the lickety stick!

Get there early to see Ian Hunter and the Rant Band

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: July 19, 2015 22:05

Got an email from Ticketmaster stating that the Columbus show has been cancelled.

Date: July 20, 2015 02:37

Indeed. Detroit is the last show.

Date: July 20, 2015 03:59

sdstonesguy
shattered

I'll let you give em some time...17 years (forgot about the benefit reunion in 1999) is long enough for me.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 20, 2015 05:14

J. Geils left the J. Geils Band in the 1980s, I think...I saw them open for Bob Seger recently, and I enjoyed them more than Seger! Granted that I only know a handful of Seger songs, but stil...cool smiley

After finding an old copy of Full House, I looked for more J. Geils material, and can say confidently that some of their best songs I've heard were 'Hard Driving Man', 'Whammer Jammer', 'Centerfold', 'Love Stinks', most of Blow Your Face Out (especially 'Detroit Breakdown'!), and 'Fright Night'...the perfect cheesy 1980s horror movie (can't take any song seriously if the chorus goes, 'We're all in for a most frightening night'...)

So in short, they sounded good when I saw them for the first time recently.

Date: July 20, 2015 09:52

I can't go to the east coast so before this post gets buried, please one of you that is going provide a set list. This is weird since I was asking a bud if they would ever tour again and then this pops up. Thanks again and maybe they will tour in other parts of the US or even Canada later on.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 20, 2015 16:22

RollingFreak
jeff14
He is not. But they are still called and tour as the J Geils band. I hear his absence doesn't really affect much though.

Yes, it does.

I've seen them twice this year with Duke upfront. He's a better player and he plays all the right parts but the J. Geils Band DOES NOT FEEL THE SAME with him instead of Jay. Does that make sense? There was a rough hewn vibe or groove or whatever you want to call it that apparently gave the band their bounce. My first J. Geils show was in 1971 and I've loved them for all that time. They're in my DNA and I'm telling you they don't FEEL the same now.

That said, they're playing the same set and sticking to same schtick they've always employed so GO! Go and have a ball!

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: July 20, 2015 16:52

Any change they will hit Europe this time?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 20, 2015 18:55

rbk
...but the J. Geils Band DOES NOT FEEL THE SAME with him instead of Jay. Does that make sense? There was a rough hewn vibe or groove or whatever you want to call it that apparently gave the band their bounce. My first J. Geils show was in 1971 and I've loved them for all that time. They're in my DNA and I'm telling you they don't FEEL the same now.

That said, they're playing the same set and sticking to same schtick they've always employed so GO! Go and have a ball!

It makes perfect sense to me.
Duke is fantastic. Kevin is very talented.
But neither of them look or FEEL or growl like J. Geils,
thus The J. Geils Band is NOT THE SAME.

I'm going to DTE in September, but after the last time I saw this incarnation I do not have high hopes.
A fun night to be sure...
But Father Time is a mother-@#$%& and sometimes you just can't go back.

Memo to J. Geils and Stephen Jo Bladd:
Come Back!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2015 20:25

Kurt
rbk
...but the J. Geils Band DOES NOT FEEL THE SAME with him instead of Jay. Does that make sense? There was a rough hewn vibe or groove or whatever you want to call it that apparently gave the band their bounce. My first J. Geils show was in 1971 and I've loved them for all that time. They're in my DNA and I'm telling you they don't FEEL the same now.

It makes perfect sense to me.
Duke is fantastic. Kevin is very talented.
But neither of them look or FEEL or growl like J. Geils,
thus The J. Geils Band is NOT THE SAME.

I'm going to DTE in September, but after the last time I saw this incarnation I do not have high hopes.
A fun night to be sure...
But Father Time is a mother-@#$%& and sometimes you just can't go back.

Memo to J. Geils and Stephen Jo Bladd:
Come Back!

Sounds similar to Roger Waters solo Wall shows where he had two great guitarists (GE Smith & David Kilminster) duplicate David Gilmours parts - they were both lacking heart and soul.
A 3rd guitar player - Snowy White was great, and they should have left it at that.
Even worse (imo), there was an additional singer who would replicate Gilmour's vocals - evidently he was previously a studio guy had a career in singing radio jingles.
So it took 3 guitar players AND a singer to fill in the void of David Gilmour!

Still a great show for the enormous spectacle itself, but at times the music sounded like a note for note perfect tribute band.
A majority of people in the audience probably could care less and/or didn't have a clue, and the same would probably be true for the J.Geils Band.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 20, 2015 20:47

Nice - I always had "full house" on my record player loved that live album

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 23:12

Of course. Wolf is the second best front man ever.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:04

sdstonesguy
Anyong going to some gigs on this tour? I was going to fly from California to NY for 4 shows (NY/Boston/AC/NY)...but it looks like I'm off to Cleveland instead.

I've been waiting 15 years to see this band...guess I got tired of waiting for them to come to the West Coast. Strange...it is as if they have something against going West of Ohio...plenty of tours...but never California (since 2001 reunions anyway).

Strange too...Peter Wolf records in Santa Barbara...plays the West Coast on solo...but the band has something against us.

I may be wrong, but I believe they do the J Geils Band gigs (aside from the shows they opened for Seger and the 1999 aborted comeback) as little mini-tours that are generally driving distance from Boston. A handful of dates over a couple of weeks, then back home.

Low pressure touring, just having fun, no burnout, no big expenses.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:17

They were one of the openers on the 1981 tour

Date: July 21, 2015 03:03

I made the plunge...got my flight to Cleveland...front row center ticket for that show...then off to Detroit for the next night 8th row.

I've waited so long...and they just aren't going to tour west of Ohio again. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!

I realized once they didn't tour with Seger out west as the opener, that was it...no J. Geils in California...so I gotta come to them. I am as excited as I was going to NY to see the Stones @ MSG!!!

Date: July 21, 2015 03:42

sdstonesguy
I made the plunge...got my flight to Cleveland...front row center ticket for that show...then off to Detroit for the next night 8th row.

I've waited so long...and they just aren't going to tour west of Ohio again. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!

I realized once they didn't tour with Seger out west as the opener, that was it...no J. Geils in California...so I gotta come to them. I am as excited as I was going to NY to see the Stones @ MSG!!!

Well, this is working under my skin too. Actually Under my Thumb.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home