Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: J. Geils Tour
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 21, 2015 20:31

shattered
sdstonesguy
I made the plunge...got my flight to Cleveland...front row center ticket for that show...then off to Detroit for the next night 8th row.

I've waited so long...and they just aren't going to tour west of Ohio again. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!

I realized once they didn't tour with Seger out west as the opener, that was it...no J. Geils in California...so I gotta come to them. I am as excited as I was going to NY to see the Stones @ MSG!!!

Well, this is working under my skin too. Actually Under my Thumb.

Make the move my man...come join me! BTW...my front row Cleveland ticket I got from Ticketmaster. They have something called "Platinum Tickets" and they had 4 left in the front row...2 after I bought em. $250 each...no charges. It ain't cheap, but I'm coming from Califorina...I'm doing it right! These were cheaper than 3rd row to the side scalper prices.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:21

Not looking good. Got accepted to University.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:29

shattered

The 'College of Musical Knowledge'?!

Date: July 22, 2015 22:06

'Sun is bad for you. Everything our parents said was good is bad. Sun, milk, red meat...college,'

-Woody Allen

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:56

Kurt
shattered

The 'College of Musical Knowledge'?!

Nice!

I will be at the Buffalo show (Lewiston). $12 genera admission but I opted for the $25 pit tix.

Heading off shortly to catch a band I feel I should know more about: My Morning Jacket

Date: July 22, 2015 23:36

buffalo7478
sdstonesguy
Anyong going to some gigs on this tour? I was going to fly from California to NY for 4 shows (NY/Boston/AC/NY)...but it looks like I'm off to Cleveland instead.

I've been waiting 15 years to see this band...guess I got tired of waiting for them to come to the West Coast. Strange...it is as if they have something against going West of Ohio...plenty of tours...but never California (since 2001 reunions anyway).

Strange too...Peter Wolf records in Santa Barbara...plays the West Coast on solo...but the band has something against us.

I may be wrong, but I believe they do the J Geils Band gigs (aside from the shows they opened for Seger and the 1999 aborted comeback) as little mini-tours that are generally driving distance from Boston. A handful of dates over a couple of weeks, then back home.

Low pressure touring, just having fun, no burnout, no big expenses.

Nice insight. Mini-tours will be the norm and that is from someone not from the School of Musical Knowledge.

Date: September 15, 2015 01:59

Cleveland was an outstanding show...but Detroit...oh boy...Detroit...that was an event.

Just got back yesterday...Detroit...last night of the tour...15,000 there...nobody sitting down for a second...almost everyone dancing, pumping fists, jumping about, going crazy, getting their face blown out. Peter made quite a few comments about the band's love for the Motor City...even at one point saying something like "I know I keep talking about how much we love Detroit...and I'm going to keep talking about it...this is our 2nd home...Detroit is the greatest music city in the world!"

She show ended 1 song short due to curfew. A few days before the gig, Peter said in an interview that the band will never say it's a farewell tour...but they wanted to get this tour in while they could. That they are not young men...and who knows...this could be the last tour (Houseparty 25th anniversary tour).

Danny Klein is outstanding to watch on the flying V bass. Magic Dick...well, you should know he is gonna be a force. Peter? Man, that man is Mick & Keef rolled into 1.

I waited 20 years to see them...so darn glad I did. I hope it isn't the last go-round...I hope they come to California...but whatever does happen...these 2 shows are high on my list of greatest events I've attended.

Oh...the band even brought Raputa the Beauta out!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 03:32

I agree! The Detroit, PINE KNOB show was amazing! It was a full on Detroit City party. People were partying hard and boogying all night! NO one sat. Not for any song. The band was on fire! Magic Dick has to be the best harmonica player in rock. Hands down! The man is brilliant on the Memphis sax. "The Dick on the lickin' stick!" Seth, as well, is one of the best organ players. Up there with Preston and Lord. The man was brilliant with that full on Leslie sound.

WHew! It too me the entire weekend to recover, and worth every ache and ear strain. Wolf was in fine voice. Belting away like it was 1979. Sanctuary was sublime! Deep red lights and a very menacing vibe. Reminded me a lot of Fingerprint File. Stunning!

Date: September 16, 2015 03:47

sdstonesguy
Cleveland was an outstanding show...but Detroit...oh boy...Detroit...that was an event.

Just got back yesterday...Detroit...last night of the tour...15,000 there...nobody sitting down for a second...almost everyone dancing, pumping fists, jumping about, going crazy, getting their face blown out. Peter made quite a few comments about the band's love for the Motor City...even at one point saying something like "I know I keep talking about how much we love Detroit...and I'm going to keep talking about it...this is our 2nd home...Detroit is the greatest music city in the world!"

She show ended 1 song short due to curfew. A few days before the gig, Peter said in an interview that the band will never say it's a farewell tour...but they wanted to get this tour in while they could. That they are not young men...and who knows...this could be the last tour (Houseparty 25th anniversary tour).

Danny Klein is outstanding to watch on the flying V bass. Magic Dick...well, you should know he is gonna be a force. Peter? Man, that man is Mick & Keef rolled into 1.

I waited 20 years to see them...so darn glad I did. I hope it isn't the last go-round...I hope they come to California...but whatever does happen...these 2 shows are high on my list of greatest events I've attended.

I knew this would be a scream but I took the AC/DC show in Montreal betting Peter will continue which he will. Thanks for the post.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: September 16, 2015 05:53

I saw them twice recently- at the Beacon Theatre and The Paramount Theatre.
Unbelievably great shows!
Here are a couple of vids from the Beacon- I hope you like them

"Lookin for a Love" & Whamma Jamma"

[www.youtube.com]

Musta' Got Lost" with intro- Peter Wolf comes over to my seat during song!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 16, 2015 10:25

sdstonesguy

Great! thumbs up

Still without J. Geils on guitar?

Date: September 16, 2015 10:27

steverogan
I saw them twice recently- at the Beacon Theatre and The Paramount Theatre.
Unbelievably great shows!
Here are a couple of vids from the Beacon- I hope you like them

"Lookin for a Love" & Whamma Jamma"

[www.youtube.com]

Musta' Got Lost" with intro- Peter Wolf comes over to my seat during song!

[www.youtube.com]

This is perfection!

Americas best band ever - by far! thumbs up

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 18:56

America's best band??? Just may be correct! Unreal. And they are NOT in the R'nR HOF. Sham

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 16, 2015 19:12

DandelionPowderman
sdstonesguy

Great! thumbs up

Still without J. Geils on guitar?

Yes still without J. Geils on guitar

Date: September 16, 2015 20:08

Top 5 American bands (no solo names):

J. Geils Band
Velvet Underground
The Stooges
X (sadly, I will not see them again after Exene's comments)
Creedence?

I feel like I'm missing someone obvious (to me)...

Date: September 16, 2015 20:53

The Byrds

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 16, 2015 21:15

The Doors

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: September 16, 2015 21:29

No one seems to be missing J Geils on guitar

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 21:49

sdstonesguy
Top 5 American bands (no solo names):

J. Geils Band
Velvet Underground
The Stooges
X (sadly, I will not see them again after Exene's comments)
Creedence?

I feel like I'm missing someone obvious (to me)...

What did she say? (I just saw them at City Winery. They were great)

Date: September 17, 2015 20:11

What Exene said:

[blogs.ocweekly.com]

[www.billboard.com]

A damn shame about Billy Zoom...frankly, he was the best of that band...hope he can recover...esp. for his family (2 little boys as I recall). DJ Bonebreak is about the sweetest guy you could ever meet...hung out with him a good 30min once...we talked about being parents.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: September 17, 2015 23:18

I am waiting for the Carltons to tour...

On 27th July, 1982 at the Carlton Hotel, London, during the European leg of the Rolling Stones tour when Geils was the main opening act. A new band was formed called The (Original) Carltones with Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Wolf, Geils and Justman plus Bobby Keys. They performed ‘Doo Wap’ to celebrate Mick Jagger’s birthday which was the day before.

Date: September 18, 2015 04:38

chrism13
I am waiting for the Carltons to tour...

On 27th July, 1982 at the Carlton Hotel, London, during the European leg of the Rolling Stones tour when Geils was the main opening act. A new band was formed called The (Original) Carltones with Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Wolf, Geils and Justman plus Bobby Keys. They performed ‘Doo Wap’ to celebrate Mick Jagger’s birthday which was the day before.

There is a snap of these guys outside a tent somewhere on this site. Now this makes sense. Thank you since I just thought it was a random picture.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2015 06:12

sdstonesguy
A damn shame about Billy Zoom...frankly, he was the best of that band...hope he can recover...esp. for his family (2 little boys as I recall). DJ Bonebreak is about the sweetest guy you could ever meet...hung out with him a good 30min once...we talked about being parents.

Yes I hope he recovers!
Back when I was a student at Santa Monica High School in 1981, X had just released their 2nd album Wild Gift.
Prior to their show at the Santa Monica Civic, they were signing autographs at a 'meet and greet' at a record store called Off The Record.
I lined up with a bunch of other young knucklehead X fans, and waited in line to have my original Los Angeles album and a freshly bought Wild Gift signed.
Had both albums signed by all of them, and as a bonus Exene did a little artwork and signed a dollar bill for me. All of them were totally friendly,
and took their time with everyone as the long line of fans slowly shuffled through. Needless to say the concert was insanely good
as I was able to manuever to the front rail waving my dollar bill throughout the show. Still have both albums and dollar, and all the great memories attached to them.

FYI - Billy Zoom t-shirt is available here:
SUPPORT BILLY ZOOM

But back on topic....winking smiley
I hope The J. Geils Band returns to the west coast some day - haven't seen them since 1981 opening for the Stones in L.A.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home