Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What keeps you seeing the tours (especially if you've been doing it for 35+ years)?
Date: July 14, 2015 15:58

dgiorr
This is going to sound like one of the dumber posts ever on here
No argument here.

Re: What keeps you seeing the tours (especially if you've been doing it for 35+ years)?
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 14, 2015 16:05

its good to be anywhere
dgiorr
This is going to sound like one of the dumber posts ever on here
No argument here.

What's so 'dumb' about it?

Olly.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 14, 2015 17:05

they keep comin round, and besides somebody's got to do it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:24

To answer this more seriously....Last tour it was Mick Taylor's participation that got me to the show, this tour it was the promise of a Sticky Fingers set. I guess I'm a sucker for whatever gimmick they are using.

Both gimmicks turned out to be a bit less than promised but Taylor even on one song and Moonlight Mile were worth the effort for me. I think it impossible, even for Jaded and Faded fans not to be entertained and delighted at a Stones show. They are just such good entertainers and being entertained is what it's all about in the end.

Besides, there is a vibe around the Stones and their fans that is somewhat unique, imo, and it doesn't take much work to pick up on it, bask in it and ride it out throughout the evening. Rock shows are fun and a Stones show is still one of the ultimate rock shows.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:33

I get to see a bunch of airports, train stations, highways, diners, hotels, venues, cities and states in USA. What else is there to do in life? And the funny thing is everywhere I go, the Rolling Stones are there.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:41

bv
I get to see a bunch of airports, train stations, highways, diners, hotels, venues, cities and states in USA. What else is there to do in life? And the funny thing is everywhere I go, the Rolling Stones are there.

what's your favorite airport?

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: July 14, 2015 23:19

Naturalust
To answer this more seriously....Last tour it was Mick Taylor's participation that got me to the show, this tour it was the promise of a Sticky Fingers set. I guess I'm a sucker for whatever gimmick they are using.

Both gimmicks turned out to be a bit less than promised but Taylor even on one song and Moonlight Mile were worth the effort for me. I think it impossible, even for Jaded and Faded fans not to be entertained and delighted at a Stones show. They are just such good entertainers and being entertained is what it's all about in the end.

Besides, there is a vibe around the Stones and their fans that is somewhat unique, imo, and it doesn't take much work to pick up on it, bask in it and ride it out throughout the evening. Rock shows are fun and a Stones show is still one of the ultimate rock shows.

That's a good answer. Maybe if the Mick Taylor tour had come closer to me I'd have gone.

And - certainly - had I never seen the Stones live, I'd have done so in the past 30 years. And I'd then probably have seen them on this tour, although that might have taken some incredible hindsight to know how really good they'd be in 2015.

I'd not call myself a merely casual fan by any means. But for me, I think that in 1978, I got both what I needed, and what I wanted, and the 1981 tour was the only once since about which I have any big regrets of missing.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 05:01

Rock and roll baby. It's rock and roll. Rolling Stones live are the epitome of live rock music. There is nothing in the world like live rock and roll and a band that is considered one of the best live shows ever. It never gets old.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 15, 2015 05:39

I don't ... I decided in '99 I wasn't going anymore -- I did once in 2002 but that was because a friend never saw them and wanted to go, so I did one more time.

I still LOVE the hits, like JJF, Tumbling Dice, You Can't Always Get, Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar ... but I just got tired of hearing them again live, show after show (online downloads made getting each show easy so that sort of ruined it for me).

Plus I've felt since '89 that it's become more about the big band horn section and backing vocals of Bernard & Lisa. Nothing against any of them, but it's not what I prefer, not when I spend an enormous amount of money.

I'll wait for the inevitable dvd (no doubt, it will be a box set to maximize profits).

Date: July 15, 2015 06:45

LeonidP
I don't ... I decided in '99 I wasn't going anymore -- I did once in 2002 but that was because a friend never saw them and wanted to go, so I did one more time.

I still LOVE the hits, like JJF, Tumbling Dice, You Can't Always Get, Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar ... but I just got tired of hearing them again live, show after show (online downloads made getting each show easy so that sort of ruined it for me).

Plus I've felt since '89 that it's become more about the big band horn section and backing vocals of Bernard & Lisa. Nothing against any of them, but it's not what I prefer, not when I spend an enormous amount of money.

I'll wait for the inevitable dvd (no doubt, it will be a box set to maximize profits).

i agree. after 89 i resolved to never see them again. i broke the rule in 2013 when, like you, i took someone who had never been. it didn't appear that much had transpired in their repertoire or approach in the 24 years between the shows, although the stage set was smaller and the songs were slower in tempo.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 08:34

I'll give some perspective as a 'newer' fan. I was 13 when Mixed Emotions came out and I got into them. The Beatles had always been my favorite band. Used to spend the entire period from Thanksgiving to Christmas listening to nothing but Beatles. Not sure why - it just always seemed to happen. I'd seen Ringo with his All-Star band live, but that was it. Obviously John wasn't an option by that point, but no George or Paul yet.

By the time 94 rolls around, I'm listening to all kinds of music - and grunge is in full swing. The Stones are still heavy in the mix and Love Is Strong blew me away. Just a snarling guitar riff. The whole album really still gets to me. It's just a friggin classic of modern proportions, but that's my opinion I know. My parents wouldn't allow me to go see them that tour due to their Rep (from the 60's!!! when my parents were growing up!). I listened to that cassette so much I wore it out.

Forward to 97, and Anybody Seen My Baby is completely new and different for them, to me. I dug the album, but it was much different than VL, and to me not quite as good - was the first album I'd actually skip songs sometimes (always MAWGJ, sometimes the 2 Keef closers). I refused to be denied seeing them live. By now I was in college and to hell with my parents, I was gonna see this band. At the time, it was the most expensive ticket I'd ever bought - $75, to sit in the opposite end of Foxboro. Sheryl Crow opened. I had no idea what to expect. I still only had a handful of albums - VL, SW, BTB, Flashpoint, Stripped, the London Years, IORR (because the cassette was dirt cheap at the discount stores). That was it.

Think about that for a second. Just let that sink in. How many Stones 'classics' not on the London Years are at this point unknown to me - Shelter, Rambler, Happy, Miss You, BTMMR, Start Me Up, CYHMK, B!tch, Heartbreaker, Monkey Man, Dead Flowers - I could go on and on.

The Beatles are still my favorite band at this point.................as the lights go out..........................and BOOM!!!! EVERYTHING changes JUST like that. Instantly. They open with Satisfaction. I am blown away. Their biggest hit is the OPENER?!?!? Where the heck do you go from there!?!?!?!!? I had no idea how they'd top it, but they did. The bridge to the middle of the stadium, the pyrotechnics, the fireworks, the huge stage. This was more than I'd ever seen at a concert. This was UNBELIEVABLE. I know many like them indoors, but to this day, I prefer them in the stadiums because of that first show. I think part of the draw of what makes it such an incredible show is all of the other stuff besides the music. It only enhances it all and brings the wow factor to a different level. A coworker saw them for the first time in Kansas City a few weeks ago and she raves about many of the same things that I just mentioned my first time: the stage, the screens, the fireworks, Mick running all over (and let's be honest, yes he does it indoors too, but it is a big difference, scale wise, running that stadium stage vs. the indoor one!!). And when Mick stands in the middle of the stadium and gets the crowd singing along, I always always always get goose bumps hearing that back and forth. Such a great sight and sound.

I didn't know probably half of the songs that first night, but it forever changed my perspective on concerts, music, and my favorite band. It has always been the Stones since. And I wanted more, often, as much as possible. It was a drug that I couldn't get enough of.

The next day I went out and bought SF, GHS, LIB, Aftermath (US), Out of Our Heads. Then I kept going til I had it all. I never missed a tour after. 99 my girlfriend at the time had never been, so I had to take her. She had to experience what was - to me - the real greatest show on earth, nevermind the circus. 2002 my very pregnant now ex-wife same thing: you gotta experience this. And to many more did I drag her. Her mother - my ex-mother-in-law had never been and was always envious. To the opening night of ABB at Fenway I took her. I became a groupie on that tour - Fenway, Hartford, Hershey, Albany, London, Gillette, Churchill Downs. I'd always wanted to follow them and I did. There's little left that I haven't done that I'd like to - front row (had 2nd at Kentucky), and backstage.

But after Kentucky and flying all that way to only get 1 new song that I hadn't heard live before, I was thinking that maybe my time seeing them live was now over. Was it really worth it to keep spending so much money in HOPE of hearing songs not heard live before? I had 11 shows under my belt; that was enough I thought. I picked the wrong show in London, figuring they'd mix it up for the 2nd night; it was the first night. I was content with the run I'd had. Really besides backstage and front row, the only other thing I would've liked to have seen was a reunited band, both Bill and Mick T, if possible, but at the very least MT.

And then the unthinkable happened! I was soooooooooooo excited. Here was what I wanted. I would go again to see my band because this was a period I wasn't even around to have lived thru, and I so desperately wanted to experience it in any form!!!! But when I saw the ticket prices and with the proceedings for my divorce just beginning, I knew that I would be forced to sit out the dream I'd so longed to see. I was still content to stay at 11 shows (though I'd had tickets for 13 at that point).

I'd never been one to do much on my own. The movies sure, but dinner, ball games, concerts??? NEVER. You learn a lot about yourself when you go thru a life altering event like a divorce. I've been putting myself back together how I want to be and how I think I should have been all along. I can now go out to eat dinner at a restaurant alone. I've been going to baseball games all over the place all summer long (did 2 today actually), just to prove to myself that I can go amongst 1000's of people and not be fazed or freak that everyone is looking at me. I knew Buffalo was sold out but when I saw on here that some tix had dropped I took a chance annnnd....scored one. Now was the ultimate test. Could I go to a concert by myself?? And not just a concert but a Stones concert? I'd wasted $600 for Giants Stadium on ABB because the person who was to have gone couldn't. My ex-wife refused to go see them again and said let this be a lesson to you, and I couldn't bring myself to go alone. I regret that to this day - that show had 4 or 5 songs I've never heard live. Why would Buffalo be different I asked myself?? Because you're not the same now, and you've been doing this all summer already, and this is your favorite band, and if ever there was anyone worth going to see alone it is the Stones. And if you can do this, then you will be completely whole again in a new way.

Annnnd I did. I was still doubting it right up until I got off the highway, but then I cranked up Shelter and started to get excited. It had been 8.5 years since I'd seen the Boys in Kentucky. That's an eternity compared to how often I saw em on the ABB tour. But I'm so glad I did - beyond what it meant for me personally.

The Stones in concert cannot be easily put into words. It's almost a religious experience. You either get it or you don't, and if not, that's fine. But I'll always be envious of those here who've seen em since the 60's and can say their count is in the 3-digits. I'll never make that. I'll always be 2-digits because I'd need 88 more shows now to get to 100. It just won't happen.

It's more than just the songs, which yeah OK they're gonna play pretty much the same ones that they always play, but the order was really mixed up this time, and to me at least, I might have heard every single one of them except one before (and I must admit, to finally hear Wild Horses did cause me to shed a tear or two), the ordering kept it fresh and alive. And they were ON. My God. I don't know if it had just been so long or what, but man, they brought it.

And the people in the audience. Most people have been before, so you get talking about shows and where and memories. And the drunks and stoned folks are a gas too.

And the atmosphere. It is soooo very positive. For a few brief hours, the world is able to fade faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar into the background with all that is going on globally and in each of our own little personal worlds. And in that time there is only you yourself and the music emanating from the gigantic columns of speakers carrying you away to an ecstasy that no drug can come close to touching or replicating.

I came home Sunday and had to go to a family birthday party, at which an uncle and his wife, and an aunt and her husband, as well as a cousin all said they were jealous and wanted to see them at least once in their lifetimes. This was news to me since I've been going for 18 years and everyone has known what a big Stones fan I am. Sooooooooooooooo guess what everyone?? Whenever the Boys finally come back to Hartford, I'll be there - with 5 more who have never yet experienced the World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band.

It is a show unlike any other.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 04:37 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: July 15, 2015 08:45

Excellent post.

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: July 15, 2015 10:29

I think there are 2 kinds of concert goers.

Those who see a band just once and want to relive the fantasy of that show.

And those who want another shot of the real live s#it in their veins, as often as possible, even if it's cut with some vegas crack, It's still better than doin' without.

And one day we're all gonna have to sober up, so I for one will go to every Rolling Stones show I can while I can.

I'm here, you're here, let's spend the night together.

So I'm guessing there are no bands you go see more than once, right?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 14:28

Well, no, for me, I've seen a few others more than once: Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, Matisyahu - 2x for all of them, but will add more to Matisyahu, and I'd love to go see Billy Joel 1 more time at the Garden. Beck - 3x.

I've seen the Boston Pops twice as well, each with a different conductor - does that count??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-15 14:33 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 16:08

I just go to see and hear Charlie Watts play the drums for 2 hours. The rest is just a bonus. smiling smiley

Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 18:43

Great post, VL13. I go to be in the same room as Keith for 2 hours and will continue to do so as long as I can make it work logistically and financially. I also go for the surprises, they aren't often rare songs (though I did get Worried About You in Toronto '13), but moments within the 'warhorses'. For me, the highlight of this tour was the fun they were all clearly having on stage, and the musical highlight was Ronnie's solo at the end of Rambler. Cannot get enough of it. If the Periscope feed drops tonight during that solo I'm going to lose my mind.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 15, 2015 19:04

what else is there to do ? where else can you give your money to such a worthy cause ?

Date: July 15, 2015 19:23

My wife, her favorite band ever!
...and now one of mine as well.>grinning smiley<

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 15, 2015 20:20

dgiorr
This is going to sound like one of the dumber posts ever on here, but I sincerely want to know, from people who have seen the Stones going back to the 1960s or 1970s, and then on a recent tour, why you've gone multiple times, and what kept you coming back.

Among my friends, many have caught this year's tour - at least four different cities. Some have been hardcore fans; some went out of curiosity for their "bucket list." Some have seen multiple tours; some this was the first time they went. But everyone came back saying the shows were spectacular, and my own look at videos on youtube leaves me feeling the boys haven't "gotten it so right" musically on stage in more than 20 years.

Yet as great as this tour has been, I would never want to see a current Stones show, even if the ticket prices were more on a level of (say) Marshal Tucker Band.

I saw them in 1978 in Buffalo.

For years I was proud to say I saw them, but didn't really appreciate the show - too much Some Girls (I had the album and listened to it round the clock going into the show and knew all the songs, but would have not minded dropping a few of the lesser songs for more time-proven ones, or deep Exile cuts), no encore, daylight show with no theatrics or dramatics.

As I got older and listened to recordings of that show, or others from 1978, I realized how special a tour it was and what a great show I saw. Nothing that will go down in the top 50 Stones shows of all time, but a performance that holds up well 37 years later.

For me - okay, for probably most here - the tours that mattered were 1969-81 (or the analogous ones outside the US, of course). I was too young and uninterested in 1969-75, but of course, each of those tours were legendary and great for justifiable reasons. I was in college, too far from their 1981 tour, to see that one.

The common threads during those tours were that they were promoting a new and consequential album, and/or had something to prove - Keith relatively cleaned-up in 1978 and possibly facing a long jail sentence, then all the band much healthier in 1981, gave those tours a special meaning.

After that, with some exceptions (songs that made it onto Stripped, for example), until the 2015 tour, they've struck me as much more a Vegas tribute band than the real deal.

I'm not saying this clearly, but those are my reasons why I was happy to see them in 1978, but also happy to not see them since.

I'd like to hear from the many who've seen them, both in the 1969-81 tours, and since, what kept you going back? Especially if it was something other than force of habit, love of the Stones, sense of obligation, along those lines.

And what did you like more from the post-1981 shows than the "glory days" shows, and what did you like less?

You are a fan but would never want to see the Stones live because you saw them in 1978? That seems so strange that I wonder whether you are being honest with yourself. My daughter last saw the Stones in 2007 at the age of 16 and was blown away. Last month, she took off early from work, canceled a dinner with friends and flew from NY to Minneapolis to see the show.

Anyway, as a doctor, I would advise that you explore your emotions. What are the real reasons you have failed to see the Stones since 78? Then, rather than trying to justify that failure (telling yourself that others go by force of habit or a sense of obligation), accept it, but don't beat yourself about it. It's OK; it doesn't make you a lesser person. Perhaps other members will sympathize and try to help you feel better about yourself. Oh, and remember to tell yourself 'I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 17:24 by drbryant.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: July 16, 2015 00:22

26 July 1975, Mick's birthday Bloomington Indiana, my first show. As I approach the 40th anniversary I find myself anxiously awaiting news of anything later this year and hoping that the leave I requested on a gamble coincides. I have said it often here, for me the whole experience is a combination of the shows and the nomadic reunion of great friends., It is what THEY ( the band) and WE (we friends) do. What better was to see some of the greatest, and not so great, places of the world than travelling and celebrating with friends while seeing great shows twice a week?

Catch ya at an airport soon Bjornulf.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 16, 2015 04:50

I've been to 25 shows on every US tour since 1978. I keep going because it's still a great rocking show, even if it's not 1972 anymore. No one can work a large room like Michael Philip, and I never get tired of even the warhorses.

I've got to see the icons while I can. Since April, I've seen Dylan (twice), The Who, Robert Plant, Paul McCartney, John Fogerty, and The Rolling Stones, among others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 04:54 by ab.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: July 16, 2015 21:28

These days say Voodoo Lounge forward I go to have a good time and gain hope for my aging process. That and enjoy some of the culture of other cities.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home