Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:16

Jesus treacle you've always got the softer option ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:17

Rockman
Jesus treacle you've always got the softer option ...

Jesus Treacle has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:19

peoplewitheyes
I love the little guitar solo/lick right in the last couple of seconds on this, and the swirling fading keys.

Who plays that guitar?

It's gotta be Ronnie or Dandie would have surely thrown it in our faces when the discussion of Keith playing fast licks came up a while back. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:23

whitem8
Update of Stray Cat Blues, great track. Ferocious rocker, great guitars, Charlie is locked in and stome great vocals and lyrics from Mick. Love this one! My fav from Undercover.

It's an update of I've got the Blues...love is a bed full of blues.

Date: July 14, 2015 02:23

Jesus Treacle has a nice ring to it.

.... Okay 50/50 deal on ya sugar plantation

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2015 02:29

Somebody please call me a yellow cab.

Date: July 14, 2015 02:30

what about Uber ???.... then ya dunno who'll be pickin' ya UP

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:41

I love Tie You Up(The Pain Of Love)

I love the undercover album

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:46

latebloomer
Somebody please call me a yellow cab.

and what are we supposed to do with the umbrella...oh, never mind.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 03:01

latebloomer
whitem8
Update of Stray Cat Blues, great track. Ferocious rocker, great guitars, Charlie is locked in and stome great vocals and lyrics from Mick. Love this one! My fav from Undercover.

Really? I don't hear that at all. Sounds nothing like I've Got the Blues, and the lyrics don't connect to IGTB as well. Whereas it is a crunching rocking blues based song, much like Stray Cat Blues. Probably the same 13 year olds then adult children Mick is singing about "Feel the hot cum Dripping on your thighs from it..." reminds me of "no mad brained bear...". A lot of the imagery I get from TYU reminds me of the decadent imagery from SCB.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 03:17

whitem8
latebloomer
whitem8

Really? I don't hear that at all. Sounds nothing like I've Got the Blues, and the lyrics don't connect to IGTB as well. Whereas it is a crunching rocking blues based song, much like Stray Cat Blues. Probably the same 13 year olds then adult children Mick is singing about "Feel the hot cum Dripping on your thighs from it..." reminds me of "no mad brained bear...". A lot of the imagery I get from TYU reminds me of the decadent imagery from SCB.

I don't hear much of SC Blues here or IGT Blues either. I'd say this song's distant cousin is Jivin' Sister Fanny. It sounds like a song born of a long jam, six hours at least - old school Stones.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 14, 2015 07:17

Great song...I listened to this album over and over so it has a place in my heart. Totally underrated album.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 07:18 by little queenie.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2015 18:46

peoplewitheyes
I love the little guitar solo/lick right in the last couple of seconds on this, and the swirling fading keys.

Who plays that guitar?

I also agree that the bridge ('Yeah, I need a time out...') is perfect, and the line about 'I'll be back next season with a bang' makes me a little sad, because, as we all know, it wouldn't be till several years later that they'd be back on stage...

That's gotta be Keith doing that little run at the end. Ronnie is way more fluid.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 19:32

This track is a good example of what happened to the Stones post-1972, when they became a band mostly just trying to sound like "The Stones" (some call it "Stones by Numbers" ) than a band that was creating innovative new music and sounds.

We, as fans, like these songs but we are biased. Our ears are so trained to positively respond to Mick's voice, Keith's guitar, Bill and Charlie in the rhythm section... I am guilty too. I put the song on and immediately jumped up and started grooving on it.

But to someone who is a more casual fan, or just coming to the Stones, how does it hold up?

It's a good thought to compare this song to SCB because they are both trying to be sexually shocking, dangerous, etc.

SCB builds up tension slowly. The guitar first, then the snarl from a woman's voice. the funky way it slides into the beat with Charlie's drums coming in, and Mick's voice leading us in. The layers of guitars. The tempo changes. Bill and Charlie each adding a lot to the track in addition to Keith's guitars. The lyrics are indeed shocking, new, surprising. The turns of phrase in the lyrics are surprising.

Time You UP (Pain of Love) is just a straight ahead rocker. The bridge holds no surprises either. The guitar sounds are straight ahead Stones guitar sounds. the lyrics hold no surprises.

Play these songs next to one another. We will all like both because we are stones fans. But imagine you are someone new to the Stones and listening to them. One sounds like a multi-layered masterpiece that you immediately want to play again, "wow what instrument was that? how did they get that drum sound? what was he singing in that part?" and the other, well it was just a rocking 3 or 4 minutes.

A similar comparison can be made between SFTD and Dancing with Mr. D (which is a straight ahead attempt to redo SFTD - be scary and dangerous - and ends up sounding like a self-parody.)

So, I like this song. But it ain't no stray cat blues, and it ain't no classic stones. It's only rock and roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 19:50 by Turner68.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2015 19:49

The mix is great, especially after the 'she's gonna really tie me up' parts, using what sounds to be one mic, a room mic, only - for the drums at the start of that roll to bring the song back in.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 16, 2015 03:39

Don't hurt me! Don't hurt me!

I have always loved this track. It's slinky and funky, yet it's aggressive. The bridge is awesome. Great songwriting right there.

I love the part when the band drops out, then the little drums come in before the whole band comes back. The jam is excellent. The little up-down waterfall guitar melody at the end is cool, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 03:40 by jahisnotdead.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 16, 2015 03:58

I always dugged the groove on this track, not sure why, but I do. LOL

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:02

One of the best songs the Stones have ever written, recorded and released. Simply perfect. I love to play it LOUD.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:59

great song on a very good and underrated album, its just a pity they couldnt make the album more radio friendly instead of using explicit and voilent themes. the stones never needed to do this in the past to make great music, although they did occasionally. in that respect its similar to dirtywork and this was a turning point in the stones history as they moved forward with more caution in thier old age.

Date: July 17, 2015 20:05

Swayed1967
whitem8
latebloomer
whitem8

I don't hear much of SC Blues here or IGT Blues either. I'd say this song's distant cousin is Jivin' Sister Fanny. It sounds like a song born of a long jam, six hours at least - old school Stones.

I was speaking of the song lyrically. Agree that it doesn't sound anything like either SC or IGT Blues.

Date: July 17, 2015 20:12

treaclefingers
Rockman
A lot of people hate on this track,

Let's get the sex-less bores ta all step forward ... let's get a look at 'em .. wanna see their faces

wouldn't you consider at least walk and talking about them?

Grrr...Beat me to it!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 18, 2015 04:59

I never understood why the Stones of those years are so undervalued, but albums like Undercover deserve much more consideration and this song Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) if it was released in 72 would be considered a small masterpiece. There are some versions of songs released on bootleg Undercover that are fantastic, I remember such a fantastic version of Too Much Blood.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 18, 2015 05:49

Love it loud.

Date: July 18, 2015 06:31

Testify
I never understood why the Stones of those years are so undervalued...

Because there were no 'Jumpin Jack Flash'-es, no 'Tumbling Dice', etc...All they had was a hit a few years ago with 'Start Me Up', and these albums (Dirty Work and Undercover) didn't feature as many catchy guitar riffs or solos. Sure, they were there, but they were overshadowed by the 'hip' mid-1980s production values...They are good albums, though!

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 18, 2015 07:25

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

I think the lyric is "substitute lineup", a sports reference. (confirmed by the
next line about "next season").

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 18, 2015 11:22

Great song . I like it. It would work very well live as well

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 30, 2018 07:07

Corrected lyrics:

You're deaf to it, blind to it, then like a thunder clap
Feel the prickles slipping up and down your back
Why, still to find the pain of love

You have to work at it, stay with it, pay for it, bust your ass
Lie for it, cheat for it, forget about your past
Why, still to find the pain of love

You dream of the passion, you get aroused from it
Feel the hot cum dripping on your thighs from it
Why if life's so divine, the pain of love

You know, sometime you crave for it, cry for it, willing to die for it
Looking back, cut the crap, was it really worth the rap?
Why, just to find the pain of love, well, ain't that right?

Yeah, I need a time-out, time to make my mind up
Searching through the line-up, I'll be back next season with a bang

No release from the jail, no parole, no bail
Hard leather, fifty lashes, heartbreak and money splashes
Why, just to find the pain of love, well, alright

The old maid is rouging up, applying final touches
Though she's late for the dance
I'll tell you tonight she's really gonna have a ball

She's gonna really tie me up, she's gonna really tie me up
She's gonna really tie me up, she's gonna really tie me up

Yeah, the pains of love, why, is it fair to find the pains of love?
Don't harm me, don't harm me, don't harm me, don't harm me

Yeah, the pains of love, yeah, that’s what they call it
Better tie me up, she tied me up, she tied me up, tie me up

Don't abuse me, don’t abuse me, so divine, so divine, the pains of love
Don't hurt me, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, don't hurt me

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 23:18 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 30, 2018 08:43

A Ronnie tune,saw him do it in a club around 92 or so with Bernard on vocals and they nailed it.The last good Stones album and the one that bookended the reggae,funk,rhythm machine era that began with Black and Blue.
Sly and Robbie helping pour the coal down in the engine room too,classic stuff that they’ll never come close to again.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 30, 2018 08:52

Strike that part about Ronnie-I was thinking of Pretty beat up.But Undercover was a master class in rock and roll rhythm.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 30, 2018 10:27

...great instrumental,great vocals...in the stones Pantheon...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home