Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Leaving the show before the encore
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 12, 2015 20:50

I did it!
Twice during Zipcode

U know why? Of course you don't

Fist show at Pittsburgh.. What a terrible logistics.. Coming from the nice fisher town in Denia, Spain, had a night over in Paris.. But taxis strike, what a mess.. Then going to Pittsburgh on June 19, direct flight from Paris

Aaaaaah listen to this, awful fuucking stupidity - I had forget to get my electronic visa to the US - aaaaaaaaah I had to pay 350 € and get the flight next day, the very day of the show.. Arriving at Pittsburg at 4 30 PM, clearing customs at about 5 10, going to the hotel.. Ahha awful fuucking stupidity AGAIN, thought the hotel was close to the stadium, because you know, every thing looks close on a google map.. Was in the university district and then

awful fuucking stupidity AGAIN AND AGAIN... I had forget my Stones ticket in Paris... Had to take a taxi in the rain, my UK debit card was not working,
awful fuucking stupidity AGAIN AND AGAIN, all the money was on the saving account.. Went to a scalper, to be scalped, and scalped I was

Finally, hoovering in the stadium like a drunk, 6 hours jetlagged, totally screw up in the stadium letters, section, and row, and almost fell twice on the slidding steps..

But finally.. The STONES

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Well I did left the show before the encore - .. I had to find a taxi, litteraly sleeping like a zombie.. There were good hotels aroud the stadium, had a bad pick with university district.. Took me 3 hours to go back and crash on the bed.. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

(to be continued)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 20:51 by The Joker.

Re: Leaving the show before the encore
Date: July 12, 2015 20:57

You are undoubtelly a fan, man.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 12, 2015 20:59

The only thing you were stupid about was leaving before the encore. grinning smiley

winking smileyRe: Leaving the show before the encore
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 12, 2015 21:07

You picked a good username for yourself winking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 12, 2015 21:09

I left during Satisfaction. I was on the floor and wanted to have a different view and went up to the stands. ON the way up this young couple, probably late teens asked if they could have my wrist band. I gave them the band and my ticket. My night was perfect and Satisfaction, well is a song I have in my DNA now. So no worries there. And I was close the exit and was out and on the street before the last firecracker went off. Great show!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 12, 2015 21:09

And I was pissed that I dropped part of my soft pretzel at the show...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 12, 2015 21:16

I feel for this guy:

I was stranded last year due to the Paris Baggage Handlers Strike.
Nowdays, with everything an "e-ticket" it is easy to forget to bring your tickets to a show. I have a new routine - passport, wallet, tickets - every time I go on a trip.

Date: July 12, 2015 21:31

No e-ticket for this show.. Could not find one..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 10:26 by The Joker.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 12, 2015 21:43

The Joker
No e-ticket for this show.. Could not find one..

e-visa.. forgot it.. April was not funny, . I lost my mother

I had tons of work, plus this terrible thing... . I thought.. I'm going to go a couple of shows, my mother, she was a sort of fan at 89... She had followed me on the map, in November, when I went to Australia and NZ

Makes me remember.. When she had her 85 birthday, she asked me to listen to the whole Sticky Fingers album

Yeap, before the Fonda show.

In the seventies, she thought Stones were all about drugs and bad thing, but after 40 years of playing the daammed LPs, she finally loved it.

Rest in peace, ma.

we should introduce you to a friend of ours... are you ever in Florida?

Date: July 12, 2015 21:58

Turner68: No, never been. That is very kind. I wish to.

In fact, I balanced between a couple of shows for the current US tour, and choosed rather "north" than "south" because I was concerned by the heat.

I'm sort of confident they will play again in the US.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 12, 2015 22:04

Good topic. I left early 2 out 5 gigs last year. Both times were after Midnight Rambler, for obvious reasons. Still don't regret it though I may not see The Stones again. In my opinion there's no reason to go to multiple shows any longer, since the setlist doesn't change (basically). And to be honest I'm grateful for this. If there's a next time I only have to go once.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 12, 2015 22:16

Only once left a Stones show before the encore and that was Leeds ROundhay Park 82. The girl I was with decided to buy a packet of red Marlboros despite not being a smoker and proceded to chain smoke her way through the packet...consequently by the encore break she was feeling very ill and we had to get out of the crowd and walk back to where the few toilets were...I still remember hearing the strains of Satisfaction as I lead her out of the park...I wasn't happy!

Even after seeing them at Les Abbatoirs in 76 I stayed until the end - very, very late and had to walk around Paris on my own until the first bus to calais in the morning...scary at 15, but worth it.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 12, 2015 22:18

Not a serious fan, in my opinion.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 12, 2015 23:10

"Not a serious fan" does that mean do anything for them, like jump off a bridge if they say to? In all fairness I suppose there are different levels of fandom. But after 52 concerts, 700 CDs, 200 LPs and countless amounts of memorabilia I thought I qualified. Guess I'm wrong.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 12, 2015 23:58

frankotero
"Not a serious fan" does that mean do anything for them, like jump off a bridge if they say to? In all fairness I suppose there are different levels of fandom. But after 52 concerts, 700 CDs, 200 LPs and countless amounts of memorabilia I thought I qualified. Guess I'm wrong.

Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 13, 2015 00:27

Are there some who only make their way into the show at encore time ???... Ya know there probably is

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2015 02:02

Bad planning?

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 13, 2015 02:08

bv
Bad planning?

Out of all the replies, this one actually made me spit up coffee on my shirt.

thanks BV, I'll send you the dry cleaning bill!

Date: July 13, 2015 02:23

Well I check my passport and my esta and my passport and my esta and my expiration dates and flights and so on like 20 times per day before every single tour start. I would drink 20 redbull to stay awake but sure I understand it might be difficult. Strikes are never funny.

If I lived in Paris and there was a strike I would probably take the train to Brussels and fly out from there, paying a fortune extra, but you know I am loaded by cash and the Stones pay me to say this so no wonder I say what I say. I can't me Mr Nice Guy all the time you know.

It was just my honest opinion still on a swinging train in Canada,

Bjornulf

Date: July 13, 2015 02:38

Rockman
Are there some who only make their way into the show at encore time ???... Ya know there probably is

My wife was in Paris with me for a week when they played Bercy, SDF and Olympia in 2003. She don't normally go to shows but you know my friend from England did not make it in time for the Bercy so I told here the ticket is there just use it if you feel like it. We stayed at the Mercur and it is right ON the Bercy and we could see the entrance like half a minute walk, from our hotel window, max 20 meters, i.e. 50 feet.

I left for the show, and when I was back I asked if she used the ticket after the show. She said she walked into the show when it was just a few songs left, and left early to avoid the queues out. There were others to enter late too, and nobody commented on being late for the show. Some arrive late, others leave early. It's Only Rock'n'roll.

Personally I arrived late for the Montreal show in 2013, may be an hour before the Stones went on stage, flying intercontinental, because Lufthansa was four hours late and I was going out on show day due to an important race the day before. May be not bad plaanning but if I did not make it I was the only one to blame...

Bjornulf

Date: July 13, 2015 02:44

frankotero
Good topic. I left early 2 out 5 gigs last year. Both times were after Midnight Rambler, for obvious reasons. Still don't regret it though I may not see The Stones again. In my opinion there's no reason to go to multiple shows any longer, since the setlist doesn't change (basically). And to be honest I'm grateful for this. If there's a next time I only have to go once.

And here I thought it was the investment bankers with comped tickets that were leaving halfway through!

I find this curious, though. I enjoy listening to music immensely, and especially enjoy live performances. I can listen to an album that I enjoy many, many times over the course of a year (or more), and each time is pleasant. With a live performance, it is even more interesting as no two performances are the same - especially true in rock or jazz, where musician have the freedom to improvise at each show. However, even in classical music, where each musician is playing a predetermined part, I can still enjoy hearing a particular piece more than once. If I could afford it, I would go to see the Vienna Philharmonic play the exact same symphony repeatedly and I am sure I would enjoy the experience each time.

Do you listen to an album more than once or twice? If so, why do you think you cannot enjoy the same songs played more than once live, to the point where you would prefer to walk out of a performance than stay and listen? I am actually curious, as I think many people (my wife is one) feel the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 02:46 by drbryant.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 13, 2015 02:51

I thought about leaving during Satisfaction many times. It bores me every time. No joke.

Date: July 13, 2015 02:51

I have left the show early many times (usually during "Satisfaction" or right as it ends), because I wanted to beat the crowd to the train/subway as I needed to get back to my hotel and get some sleep. But these days, I make sure to stay until the very end because I feel that every show I go to may be my last.

One of my biggest regrets in life - I was fortunate enough to get to the Led Zeppelin reunion at the O2 Arena in 2007. I left after the first encore because I had a 7:00 a.m. flight the next morning and was sure they would announce a tour - in fact, I was so sure, I remember calling my wife to say how great it was and how we would plan our next family holiday so that we could see a show together. As you know, the tour never happened.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 02:58 by drbryant.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 13, 2015 03:01

Yes I did ones in the shitty Amsterdam Arena, that's sounds if your sitting in a biscuit tin..............so I left when Brown Sugar started...actually was still listing to the previous song because of time differences (speed of sound) if you are sitting way back on top in the Arena.......parking lot was almost empty when leaving grinning smiley ...............

Date: July 13, 2015 03:08

I like leaving at the end with the crowd...kinda like leaving the mall after the fireworks in DC. Everyone sings patriotic songs on the metro on the way home - same with a Stones concert. We had a long walk back from the stadium in Pittsburgh and the crowd was a lot of fun. My son was doing sing-song "woo hoo's" with like minded fans and it sounded like hoot owls in the night, especially in the tunnel. It cracked us up all the back to the hotel. To me, the crowds are part of the whole experience. Driving is different, you just have to get in the zone of patience and don't forget to pee before you leave. Tip of the day, folks. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 03:12 by latebloomer.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 13, 2015 03:12

latebloomer
I like leaving at the end with the crowd...kinda like leaving the mall after the fireworks in DC. Everyone sings patriotic songs on the metro on the way home - same with a Stones concert. We had a long walk back from the stadium in Pittsburgh and the crowd was a lot of fun. My son was doing sing song "woo hoo's" with like minded fans and it sounded like hoot owls in the night, especially in the tunnel. It cracked us up all the back to the hotel. To me, the crowds are part of the whole experience. Driving is different, you just have to get in the zone of patience and don't forget to pee before you leave. Tip of the day, folks. cool smiley

Yeah your completely right Latebloomer..... that's the way I normally end my Stones concert.......but you never visit Amsterdam Arena I guess winking smiley

Date: July 13, 2015 03:17

NICOS
latebloomer
I like leaving at the end with the crowd...kinda like leaving the mall after the fireworks in DC. Everyone sings patriotic songs on the metro on the way home - same with a Stones concert. We had a long walk back from the stadium in Pittsburgh and the crowd was a lot of fun. My son was doing sing song "woo hoo's" with like minded fans and it sounded like hoot owls in the night, especially in the tunnel. It cracked us up all the back to the hotel. To me, the crowds are part of the whole experience. Driving is different, you just have to get in the zone of patience and don't forget to pee before you leave. Tip of the day, folks. cool smiley

Yeah your completely right Latebloomer..... that's the way I normally end my Stones concert.......but you never visit Amsterdam Arena I guess winking smiley

Can't say as I have, NICOS, but I'd love to visit someday...Amsterdam that is, not the arena. smiling smiley

Date: July 13, 2015 03:32

NICOS
Yes I did ones in the shitty Amsterdam Arena, that's sounds if your sitting in a biscuit tin..............so I left when Brown Sugar started...actually was still listing to the previous song because of time differences (speed of sound) if you are sitting way back on top in the Arena.......parking lot was almost empty when leaving grinning smiley ...............

Ha ha. Amsterdam Arena. Probably the worst venue (acoustically) that I have visited. I wonder why the echo is so loud in that arena. I have been in many covered stadiums where the echo is not that bad.

I heard that they have taken steps to improve the acoustics, though.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 13, 2015 06:01

flacnvinyl
I thought about leaving during Satisfaction many times. It bores me every time. No joke.[/quo

Until the other day, I had not realized they have been riding the same encore since 07'ish. I was critical of the choir when that started( not very rock and roll), and critical of the song placement in general. SFM or JJF.......a good Sympathy......hell even MR?

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: July 13, 2015 06:11

We left last night the minute the lights went out after YCAGWYW. We were out of the parking lot and at the Canadian border by midnight with no regrets. Could care less if I saw Satisfaction ever again!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home