Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Movies scenes that break your heart
Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:19

The tacked on happy ending of Magnificent Ambersons and all the other scenes inserted by RKO at the expense of an hour of Orson Welles' original cut.
A masterpiece ruined.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:29

Bambi was pretty traumatic when I was a kid. grinning smiley

And recently I broke up watching Mrs Doubtfire with my wife and daughter. Such a sad ending if you're a parent.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:29

The Road - at the end when the father dies and the boy has to join another family. Sadness and hope...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 1, 2015 13:13

Road To Chicago

In the railroad station When John Candy tells STeve Martin about his Life and about his non-existing family.

Beautiful scene in an underrated movie.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 1, 2015 13:27

ET almost dying

Doris Day singing Que Sera in The Man Who Knew Too Much

Posted by: Exile ()
Date: July 1, 2015 13:33

Tony Montana dying at the end of Scarface.

On the 7th day God created the Rolling Stones

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2015 15:14

terms of endearment...the hospital room scene where Deborah Wingers two young kids come into the room balling their eyes out at the sight of their mom who's dying.

freakin' shameless tear jerker...I'm welling up right now at the thought.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 15:16

bleedingman
The Force Awakens when Han Solo dies.
Yup, you KNOW that's coming. That's gonna rip my inner 8-year old's heart out.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 1, 2015 15:20

Cristiano, holy smokes - that was quite a scene - I am tearing up and I don't even know the backstory of that clip!

I saw Love and Mercy tonight, and there's a scene [spoliers] when Brian Wilson and his girlfriend escape from the yacht they're out on, and swim to shore to his house, and have the first time alone they've ever had since all his handlers keep him on a tiny leash, and they take a shower and chuck off their clothes, and they're asleep in a room clearly asunder by passion--and he bolts up, freaked! Saying "I'll be right there!! I'm coming!!" and telling his girlfriend she has to hide under the stairs, or just go, get out--because they're coming--they're going to get you--it's going to be a really bad scene. You don't want to be here. And at first you think he's completely raving mad--but you realize he is traumatized to the enth degree---that he has been brutalized and cowed and controlled by these people around him. And he is speaking the truth--that they WILL be barreling over momentarily--that hell is going to break out. And that might just have had the only sweet unwatched time they're ever going to have--he has no sense of personal agency or power. Everyone is more powerful than he. And he does not believe he can stand up to these people. Elizabeth Banks (who is just so beautiful and lovely) is heartbroken to see this man who is becoming beloved to her--completely emotionally hobbled. And he says "Leave! LEAVE! Don't leave me--but, now, you have to leave!" And she does. John Cusak does a brilliant job of it too. I just sobbed and sobbed at this scene---more than any film I can remember in the near past.

Another that hops to mind -- there's this scene in Ghost Dog, at the end, where Forrest Whitaker ("Ghost Dog" ) knows he is going to be killed by mobster John Tormey - and he, in fact, gently provokes Tormey to shoot him because according to the ways of the samurai it is Tormey's fate that he should become the reigning mob boss, but Tormey cannot do so if Ghost Dog lives. Ghost Dog's life many years ago was saved by Tormey, and now Ghost Dog is going to die for him, in gratitude and honor. Tormey hesitates and Ghost Dog lifts his *unloaded* gun, to make Tormey shoot him. It's like a Western high-noon deal. Ghost Dog's friend, a Haitian dude who speaks only French, is imploring him please not to do this. And when Ghost Dog is dying, he smiles at Tormey and says it's ok, and gives him the book Rashomon, and says "Read this."

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 15:35 by swiss.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 1, 2015 16:07

The scene at the end of Field of Dreams, when Kevin Costner has a catch with his dad.

I lost my dad five years ago, who took me to my very first Major League Baseball game (in Pittsburgh, 1970).

The scene really broke me up when he was still alive.

In the past five years, now that he's gone, I just cannot bring myself to watch that movie again, at least not yet.

Maybe someday.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 1, 2015 17:11

The scene in The Talented Mr Ripley which leads up to Tom killing his beautiful lover Peter.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:22

Easy Rider - Ending

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:44

MadMax
Road To Chicago

In the railroad station When John Candy tells STeve Martin about his Life and about his non-existing family.

Beautiful scene in an underrated movie.

trains planes and automobiles

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:46

End of The Way We Were, where Redfird and Streisand, years after the split, run into each other on the street. Both married to nice conventional people, he introduces her to his nice, conventional wife while they make polite, innocuous small talk. Then he comes back alone, he asks about his kid..more small talk. Then she suggests they should all get together sometime so he can meet her husband, blah, blah.
Then.. He says, 'I can't' and the look on their faces tells you why.
They still love each other with all their differences. All the years, their respective marriages.. haven't erased their love for each other.
It's a heartbreaking moment. It shows, without cornball sentimentality, how two people who love each other ultimately leave each other..and yet, never really leave each other. They're both fantastic at conveying that sense of loss.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 18:48 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 1, 2015 19:08

The first 30 minutes of "Private Ryan" crack me up every time... All the gore and all the torn limbs... Did Spielberg pay tribute to the Monty Python here?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 1, 2015 19:18

franzk
The opening scene of Werckmeister Harmonies is beautiful:

[www.youtube.com]

Awesome movie. There was a Béla Tarr exhibition going on here two years ago and I went to see some of his movies, including this one. But The Turin Horse stands as one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

swiss
Cristiano, holy smokes - that was quite a scene - I am tearing up and I don't even know the backstory of that clip!

Swiss - yes! That's a heartbreaking scene. I've only seen that film once, I tried to watch it a second time and I couldn't. sad smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 19:38

Bambi when that really butch stag with a really manly voice says:
'Your mother is not coming back anymore'sad smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:22

The end of "Pay It Forward"
Just about the whole "My Life" w/ Michael Keaton.
Much as I hate to admit, "Love Story" can get me too.
I'm not sure if the last episode of MASH counts as a movie or not, but Hawkeye's "chicken" scene & the word "Goodbye" spelled out in rocks can get me as well.
"The Pride of The Yankees" - "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth"... And I'm a Red Sox fan.

Not from a movie but Jim Valvano's 1983 ESPY Awards Speech will do it to me every time as well.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:40

Hairball
...Midnight Cowboy - at the end when Ratso dies on the bus to Miami.

Gaaah! Spoiler! grinning smiley

Casablanca.

And... The end of Rocky Horror Picture Show and when Jack White tries to sing Loving Cup in Shine A Light.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:44

Breakfast at Tiffany's, the ending when she's running around out in the rain to find that damn cat. What was that cat's name anyway?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:47

treaclefingers
Breakfast at Tiffany's, the ending when she's running around out in the rain to find that damn cat. What was that cat's name anyway?

Just "Cat". grinning smiley Or "Orangey", as it was known.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 1, 2015 21:15

Ok so i have to get in touch with my feminine side.. GHOST

The bit where Patrick Swayze says to Demi Moore,'' its alright, all the love , you take it all with you'' gets me every time sad smiley

found it

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 21:24 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 21:17

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the scenes of Brian in 1+1, the making of Sympathy for the Devil. You could tell the poor guy was miserable and ill. Very sad.

Date: July 1, 2015 21:25

Turner68
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the scenes of Brian in 1+1, the making of Sympathy for the Devil. You could tell the poor guy was miserable and ill. Very sad.

so what did they do. fire him.

Date: July 1, 2015 21:32

Jeff Bridges Thunder Bolt And Lightfoot.

Jack Nicholson. the postman always rings twice.

Jack Nicholson. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Guess i just love JACK lol

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 21:35

keefriffhards
Turner68

and people complain about what they did to bill and mick taylor...

Date: July 1, 2015 21:43

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68

they are hard as nails to survive in that industry.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 1, 2015 21:53

Turner68

They were doing a lot of 1+1 recordings, Brian seems to be ok here.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 1, 2015 21:59

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68

And what was the options? Let him play tambourine on stage?

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 22:00

It's A Gift - WC Fields

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home