Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: did Keith write the best song in the world with Gimme Shelter
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:33

TeddyB1018
When I got the Let it Bleed album as a kid, a few weeks after seeing the Stones for the first time, I couldn't get last playing the introduction of Gimme Shelter. I listened the intro before allowing the needle to continue into the song maybe twenty times. Though there's some obviously stiff competition, and it might be quite my favorite song, I think Gimme Shelter is the greatest record in the canon of rock music.

on the last side on rolled gold. you got sympathy, SFM, shelter and rambler, it basically changed my life forever when i was 16. music never got any better than that.. except for live renditions. been obsessed ever since..

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 25, 2015 12:05

keefriffhards
Naturalust
No doubt Keith was probably high on heroin when he wrote GS, he was in Robert Frasers apt. after all....but was the song about heroin? I seriously don't think so. At that point in his use of the drug it was a harmless warm blanket not a mad bull or any of the other dark sentiments expressed in the song.

Keith talks about writing the song and specifically says "My thought was storms on other people's minds, not mine. It just happened to hit the moment." He describes watching people struggling with an actual weather storm. Other elements like the Vietnam war crept into it too.

Yeah the Stones have a few drug songs but this isn't one of them. People who are into drugs tend to find drug references in just about everything. eye rolling smiley

correct. of all the posters you seem the most insightful. yes in 69 he was new to heroin. the point i made was not that the lyrics or the song was about heroin, but that the song is the sound of heroin. that's what people have said. as i say i would not know, drink is my thing. part of the fascination with the stones when i got into them was the drugs. sorry to be politically incorrect but most of the good stuff was written on them. a lot or what the stones and rock and roll was and is about includes drink and drugs . surely its ok to talk about them or is big brother watching here as well as everywhere else. that would be a shame.

Big brother is probably alive and well and smiling at you behind your own web cam grinning smiley But I don't think he cares too much about Keith's drug use 46 years ago or us talking about it. Thankfully I don't know enough about heroin to be truly insightful about it. If you say GS sounds like it I'll take you word for it. I guess I misunderstood your post but I do find it interesting to know the story behind great songs. Keith has talked pretty extensively about this one.

Date: June 25, 2015 12:31

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
No doubt Keith was probably high on heroin when he wrote GS, he was in Robert Frasers apt. after all....but was the song about heroin? I seriously don't think so. At that point in his use of the drug it was a harmless warm blanket not a mad bull or any of the other dark sentiments expressed in the song.

Keith talks about writing the song and specifically says "My thought was storms on other people's minds, not mine. It just happened to hit the moment." He describes watching people struggling with an actual weather storm. Other elements like the Vietnam war crept into it too.

Yeah the Stones have a few drug songs but this isn't one of them. People who are into drugs tend to find drug references in just about everything. eye rolling smiley

correct. of all the posters you seem the most insightful. yes in 69 he was new to heroin. the point i made was not that the lyrics or the song was about heroin, but that the song is the sound of heroin. that's what people have said. as i say i would not know, drink is my thing. part of the fascination with the stones when i got into them was the drugs. sorry to be politically incorrect but most of the good stuff was written on them. a lot or what the stones and rock and roll was and is about includes drink and drugs . surely its ok to talk about them or is big brother watching here as well as everywhere else. that would be a shame.

Big brother is probably alive and well and smiling at you behind your own web cam grinning smiley But I don't think he cares too much about Keith's drug use 46 years ago or us talking about it. Thankfully I don't know enough about heroin to be truly insightful about it. If you say GS sounds like it I'll take you word for it. I guess I misunderstood your post but I do find it interesting to know the story behind great songs. Keith has talked pretty extensively about this one.

yes Keith has always been open about his drug use. its part of his legend and i think he loves it. drugs are mentioned in loads of tracks, and as keith said they write songs about how they see life and it reflects in the lyrics.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 26, 2015 11:22

keefriffhards
its my fav stones song. its my fav song in the world..
it was written at his peak of his powers. i cant go a day without listening to it on various live shows.
its my desert Island disk. what's yours ??

If I really had to pick only one, Gimme Shelter just might be that one!

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: June 26, 2015 12:29

keefriffhards
on the last side on rolled gold. you got sympathy, SFM, shelter and rambler, it basically changed my life forever when i was 16. music never got any better than that.. except for live renditions. been obsessed ever since..

Wow, your experience mirrors mine exactly. That last side of rolled gold was a dose of realism when 80s bubble gum pop didn't do it for me. It was only until Nirvana came on the scene that those bubbling emotions got an outlet. Still, the Stones present them with sophistication, letting them trickle out and replace with sunshine "it's just a shot away.. love, sisters it's just a kiss away". Nirvana blew in a storm but left no kisses.

Date: June 26, 2015 13:58

muffie
keefriffhards

Wow, your experience mirrors mine exactly. That last side of rolled gold was a dose of realism when 80s bubble gum pop didn't do it for me. It was only until Nirvana came on the scene that those bubbling emotions got an outlet. Still, the Stones present them with sophistication, letting them trickle out and replace with sunshine "it's just a shot away.. love, sisters it's just a kiss away". Nirvana blew in a storm but left no kisses.

too true. guns and roses started putting the rock back in the roll. then other stones copy bands like the black crows starting getting popular and then suddenly the stones were cool again after the nightmare 80's

Nirvarna blew in a storm and left no kisses. i like that !!

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 26, 2015 14:38

Gimme Shelter= Heroin. Intentional or not. It becomes part of your soul and your being. Keith was whacked on smack. Many, many things he did during those days soaked of Heroin. It consumes you. There are times when, if you have to choose between air and heroin, you would learn how to hold your breath.

Please don't tell a heroin addict about heroin. You could never imagine the degradation to your inner being. GS is always a positive way out for me, because there is hope that you will Get That Shelter.

Its just a shot away.

Thanks.

Tim

Date: June 26, 2015 15:01

Lipsgogreen
Gimme Shelter= Heroin. Intentional or not. It becomes part of your soul and your being. Keith was whacked on smack. Many, many things he did during those days soaked of Heroin. It consumes you. There are times when, if you have to choose between air and heroin, you would learn how to hold your breath.

Please don't tell a heroin addict about heroin. You could never imagine the degradation to your inner being. GS is always a positive way out for me, because there is hope that you will Get That Shelter.

Its just a shot away.

Thanks.

Tim

think i misjudged you lipsaregreen . that was spine chilling honesty. it makes GS seem even deeper than ever now with the connection you made with it, and it to you.
i remember a bbc radio interview years ago on the release of undercover. keith was asked about heroin . he said '' its so insidious and so seductive, it covers all the angle's, until its got you. and by the time its got you, your already thinking differently. dont know why i remember that.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 26, 2015 15:01

Lipsogogreen nails it. The shot away part is pretty obvious. And the Shelter part.
And if you're not an addict or former/recovering it could be shelter from any storm. We all need shelter sometimes.

Date: June 26, 2015 15:04

like this one.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 26, 2015 15:07

and this. the ending just blows me away. wish i could find a clip where Keiths guitar is much louder. its somewhere out there. i got this on my boot leg and he is very loud

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 15:15 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 26, 2015 15:44

I dig the thread. KR is a God. The Winos were cool. But man, I ONLY listen to the STONES. GS '73 Brussels Affair (Definitive edition YouTube) GS No Security '99. GS 03 MSG (HBO). Gimme Shelter '97 Orange Bowl (my own boot).

I am sure most of us are familiar with all of the above. I love everyone of them each for different reasons.

Its just a kiss away.

Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 26, 2015 20:22

Maybe not best song, but yeah, the record is magical. They got some kind of alchemy on that track that takes me to another place every time. When the song is played live, it is merely a great Stones song. The LIB studio version though transcends that and raises the stakes for everything that came after it.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 26, 2015 20:28

i was reading the wyman thread and came across this, which i found amazing. wasn't sure which topic to post it in. it's woman's bass track from GS.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 26, 2015 20:40

BLOCK: Who did what in writing this song?

JAGGER: Keith wrote the tune, and I wrote a lot of the words.

BLOCK: What were you thinking when you were coming up with the words for "Gimme Shelter"?

JAGGER: I can't remember really anymore, to be honest, but, you know, it was a very moody piece about the world closing in on you a bit. When it was recorded, like, early '69 or something, you know, it was a time of war and tension, and so that's reflected in this tune.

[www.wbur.org]

Date: June 26, 2015 20:40

JAGGER: Oh, that's my harmonica part there. Only two notes, but it shows what you can do with two notes.

BLOCK: Let's hear it. Let's crank that up right now.

JAGGER: Go.

(SOUNDBITE OF SONG, "GIMME SHELTER")

BLOCK: It is just two notes.

JAGGER: It is just two notes.

(LAUGHTER)

JAGGER: That's because of a crummy keyed harmonica...

(LAUGHTER)

JAGGER: ...anyways, you know?

(LAUGHTER)

BLOCK: You shouldn't have told me about it. It just spoiled the whole illusion of (unintelligible).

JAGGER: I didn't spoil it. It just shows you what you can do with two notes.

BLOCK: There you go.

JAGGER: You didn't have to put - it is economy of style.

[www.wbur.org]

Date: June 26, 2015 20:51

Keith mentioned the looking out the window at the storm bit so obviously he came up with that line and the title. And from what Mick says he wrote the rest.

Date: June 26, 2015 20:54

GasLightStreet
Keith mentioned the looking out the window at the storm bit so obviously he came up with that line and the title. And from what Mick says he wrote the rest.

yes, it's clear mick has thought about it and is very carefully choosing his words when i says " i wrote a lot of the words".

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: June 26, 2015 21:01

John Lennon wrote the best song in the world..."Dig It"

Date: June 26, 2015 21:02

2120Wolf

hmm, have you heard "you know my name"? it's also a contender. brian jones on sax too.... it's the b-side of "let it be". i think they put it on just to prove they could put any damn thing on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 21:03 by Turner68.

Date: June 26, 2015 21:03

Turner68
GasLightStreet

yes, it's clear mick has thought about it and is very carefully choosing his words when i says " i wrote a lot of the words".

Well, it's the right thing to say. How long was it until it was known that Keith did not write Brown Sugar? Quite some time. And I don't believe I ever read or heard Keith say he wrote it either.

Gimme Shelter Keith started, just like Wild Horses, which Mick has also acknowledge Keith having come up with a line or two and the chorus. He's said it a few times, like about Beast Of Burden. It is something they seem to be honest about but only with those tunes ha ha...

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 26, 2015 21:24

Turner68
2120Wolf

hmm, have you heard "you know my name"? it's also a contender. brian jones on sax too.... it's the b-side of "let it be". i think they put it on just to prove they could put any damn thing on.

look up the number

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: June 26, 2015 22:40

Turner68
2120Wolf

Yes Very Familiar with it...and then of course there is "What a Shame Mary Jane Had a Pain At The Party"....What a Shame Mary Jane Had a Pain At The Party"....What a Shame Mary Jane Had a Pain At The Party"....What a Shame Mary Jane Had a Pain At The Party"....What a Shame Mary Jane Had a Pain At The Party"....What a Shame Mary Jane Had a Pain At The Party"....

I have been zeroed in on collecting bootlegs since 1980...Great Stuff !!!

Date: June 27, 2015 00:08

i see it like this. if you listen to the original recording of GS.
its woven with so many of Keith's guitars, that the sound of the song is KR
he may of shared the lyrics with MJ, but IM still handing this one over to Keith.
with BS his guitar is so dominant on it from start to finish that although he did not write it he still seems to own it lol.
im biased but to a great extent i think Keith is the sound of the stones.
i can write a great lyric but without the music what is it. a poem or words on paper. words on paper are ten a penny. keiths sound is unique. but MJ vocals are equally so. what a chemistry they have.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 27, 2015 00:13

The best Song in the world maybe is like a rolling stone Or satisfaction

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: June 27, 2015 00:35

i feel gs is unique song, not compareable to any other rs song. Not a hit song, but one of a kind, stands alone as a cliff by the sea. noone can copy it.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: June 27, 2015 00:41

No but it is exceptionally brilliant. It's a mark of great songwriters that they can produce more than one in fact several songs that are exceptionally brilliant.
Mick and Keith, John and Paul (George too), Dylan, Brian Wilson, Goffin and King etc..
Most of us would be happy to write one song just half as good

Date: June 27, 2015 06:58

keefriffhards
i see it like this. if you listen to the original recording of GS.
its woven with so many of Keith's guitars, that the sound of the song is KR
he may of shared the lyrics with MJ, but IM still handing this one over to Keith.
with BS his guitar is so dominant on it from start to finish that although he did not write it he still seems to own it lol.
im biased but to a great extent i think Keith is the sound of the stones.
i can write a great lyric but without the music what is it. a poem or words on paper. words on paper are ten a penny. keiths sound is unique. but MJ vocals are equally so. what a chemistry they have.

Agreed!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 27, 2015 07:38

keefriffhards
it was written at his peak of his powers. i cant go a day without listening to it on various live shows.

Either this:

[www.youtube.com]

Or this:

[www.youtube.com]

keefriffhards
Lipsgogreen

Its just a shot away.

Thanks.

Tim

think i misjudged you lipsaregreen . that was spine chilling honesty. it makes GS seem even deeper than ever now with the connection you made with it, and it to you.
i remember a bbc radio interview years ago on the release of undercover. keith was asked about heroin . he said '' its so insidious and so seductive, it covers all the angle's, until its got you. and by the time its got you, your already thinking differently. dont know why i remember that.

While I would never presume to tell a heroin addict about heroin I would certainly argue with a heroin addict that '"Gimme Shelter" = heroin.'

There's ample evidence that many of the various inspirations for both the writers of the song are outside the realm of the pharmacological. I can certainly see that the overall "mood" of the song may provide a portrait of and perhaps even an escape from the terrors of heroin abuse ... but that in no way means that the song "equals" heroin.

"Gimme Shelter," like all great pieces of music, means many things to many people, is both evocative of its times and in a certain sense timeless.

Date: June 28, 2015 19:03

LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards

Either this:

[www.youtube.com]

Or this:

[www.youtube.com]

keefriffhards
Lipsgogreen

Its just a shot away.

Thanks.

Tim

While I would never presume to tell a heroin addict about heroin I would certainly argue with a heroin addict that '"Gimme Shelter" = heroin.'

There's ample evidence that many of the various inspirations for both the writers of the song are outside the realm of the pharmacological. I can certainly see that the overall "mood" of the song may provide a portrait of and perhaps even an escape from the terrors of heroin abuse ... but that in no way means that the song "equals" heroin.

"Gimme Shelter," like all great pieces of music, means many things to many people, is both evocative of its times and in a certain sense timeless.

how eloquently put longbeach. i agree GS is a timeless timepiece. it certainly possesses a mood that is difficult to capture with modern techniques of recording today.
its creation would have unlikely been possible without some kind of consciousness enhancing substances.
this might now be one of the reasons the stones themselves cannot create this level of inspiration in their recordings .
be it Pink Floyd , The Beatles, Brian Wilson or Ledd Zepp, they have little evidence to suggest that the music was not enhanced or influenced by mind altering substances.
so no GS does not = heroin. one is music the other is a poppy last i heard..

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home