Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gimme Shelter: Lady Gaga vs Lisa Fischer
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 20, 2015 22:47

Who does the better job?

Gaga:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Gimme Shelter: Lady Gaga vs Lisa Fischer
Date: June 20, 2015 22:47

Lisa:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 20, 2015 22:55

If we compare Lady Gaga to Lisa Fischer until 2006, then Lisa wins by a landslide.
If we compare Lady Gaga to Lisa Fischer from 2012 till now, then Lady Gaga wins.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 20, 2015 23:09

If I want to piss myself with laughter.....The Gaga wins. She is shockingly bad, but hilarious!

Lisa does a much better job!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 20, 2015 23:22

I thought Lady Gaga was an entertaining guest, but I'd rather have Lisa on GS than any guest. Unless that guest is Mick Taylor with his guitar.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 20, 2015 23:35

strat72
If I want to piss myself with laughter.....The Gaga wins. She is shockingly bad, but hilarious!

Lisa does a much better job!

thumbs up

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: June 20, 2015 23:41

It was just Mick and U2, but I thought Fergie did a great job at the 25th anniversary concert for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: June 21, 2015 01:47

dhinkle555
It was just Mick and U2, but I thought Fergie did a great job at the 25th anniversary concert for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Although that performance gives credence to Bono's own assertion that U2 are the world's worst wedding band. Useless at covering other acts. Bloody terrible version of the song.

Declan

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 21, 2015 02:16

DD
dhinkle555

Although that performance gives credence to Bono's own assertion that U2 are the world's worst wedding band. Useless at covering other acts. Bloody terrible version of the song.

Declan

I've never heard that comment, but most of their covers have been pretty terrible in my opinion. The only exception I can think of is All Along The Watchtower from Rattle And Hum. It's not mind-blowing or anything (nobody's going to top Jimi's cover, and there have been other good ones), but a solid cover that doesn't sound like some U2 B-side that they just added popular lyrics to. Which is what many of their other covers sound like to me. I was a pretty big U2 fan as a teenager, and I bought one of their singles because of a Paint It Black cover on the B-Side (which was probably my #1 song at the time), and I thought it was garbage. I thought a lot of their original songs were good, but the covers were always a letdown.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 21, 2015 02:17

Merry Clayton.

I've always felt Lisa was somewhat over the top with her approach to this song.

Lady Gaga (tho I both really like and respect her as an artist) seemed to come at it from left field, waving her arms around and spinning, like that's maybe what she imagines you're supposed to do with "hippie music," and overall her choreography was out of sync with the content of what she was singing--her voice is strong and her energy is electric, which is cool to see--but, to me, the best part of this song is its emotional and literal crescendo and resolution, and she starts out bellowing out the gate and there's nowhere to go from there. And although this song is at its rudiments about tension, and that plays itself out musically, vocally, and lyrically--in the Lady Gaga version the tension between her and Mick is strange, and, to me, not entirely appealing or working in service to the actual song.

Fergie...I don't have a problem with her, and at least she brought some dark sexiness to the number, which Lady Gaga did not bring, but she maybe didn't have much chance to shine, and/or also is somewhat confined by her vocal abilities, to soar and rip and hit high notes. It also felt like she probably got up to speed on Gimme Shelter quickly, and didn't really own it. She was singing things like "War AND children -- just a shot away," which, again seems to underscore a lack of familiarity with the piece.

The latter two trot out "Rape Murder" with the 21st Century sensibility of those things being so commonplace in the media (and perhaps in life) as to mean almost next to nothing. Certainly nothing shocking. When the song was written...the point is that the narrator is feeling incredibly vulnerable and unsteady, both in his own life, and regarding the extreme volatility in the external world -- and on the brink of truly not being able to take much more. You can go from relative peace to mayhem in an instant, a shot.

And the other voice says not only is full-fledged, literal "war" a moment away from this one--divided by and catalyzed by as little as one single tipping point action, like the shot heard around the world--any kind of chaos is. The second speaker brings it from the relative abstraction of "War" to interpersonal mayhem of "Rape" and "Murder." Before Gimme Shelter, when else had anyone sang the word "Rape," calling out how mundane and horrific it is in one breath? And pressing the point how rape and/or murder can be upon us in the matter of a mere instant?

The song, to me, has always been about the despair that comes arising from this reality -- especially for one who is sensing complete unleashed mayhem around him.

For me, Merry Clayton's interpretation of this perfectly reflects the sheer horror of that reality. When she sings "murder" -- any of the times she sings that word -- the terrible reality of taking someone's life is abundantly clear. Not just a word. She sings frantically, almost shattering into pieces--reflecting, echoing, taking on another dimension of the narrator's proclamation that if shit doesn't calm down soon --if he doesn't fine some respite from it -- he's straight-up going to lose it.

And the final "kiss away" verse---the narrator (Mick only somewhat convincingly) at least tries to offer up the Stones' versions of "Love is all you need." Suggesting that in the same way evil can set upon us and cause profound destruction in a moment's time, so too can love. It's just as close. It's just as powerful. It's just as urgent. And Merry, in that moment, does not temper her delivery (tho Mick does soften his) -- she is far too keyed up and the topic is too urgent.

The interplay between Merry Clayton and Mick is fascinating in itself, musically and interpersonally. In some ways, Merry Clayton's intense, spot-on delivery unintentionally "bests" Mick -- it ratchets things up a big notch, musically and emotionally. And when he returns to the song and they duet, he has a new strength of conviction and voice. I don't see it as a traditional "competition" -- the way it seems always to have been played out with Lisa and Mick -- and this whole sexual (and male vs. female strength) thing. I find that a little gratuitous.

The tension is important--and if you're a sexy man as Mick is, and a sexy woman as Lisa or Fergie is, there will be some of that in there, but mostly in terms of sheer raw talent, lifeforce, and animus (which is related to libido and sexiness, but different too).

So, I love this song---and I don't think the female part has to mimic Merry Clayton, at all, but I do think she got it right in every way, and it's perfect for the song. And I feel many subsequent live versions of it (when a woman is singing the 2nd part) are cartoonish and a little silly. Fun to watch, but, to me, doesn't really give me chills the way the original does---because there is so much "camp" and faux-sexual-one-up-manship going on.

- swiss

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 21, 2015 03:15

Don't know if she's still around, but Sarah Dash was superb with KR doing this song on the Wino tours. The Stones should have her and Lisa on stage as backup. Fluck the wanna be's.

[www.youtube.com]

Let this video play on. There's a really smokin' version of GS that follows right after this clip on utoob. The Stones should be this hot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-21 03:20 by dmay.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 21, 2015 03:33

Wow swiss that was such a superb post I had to read it twice. And I'm still learning about what I think of he song the second time through.

It is totally strange to watch Lisa strut out the runway, exuding sexuality and then start singing Rape, Murder, War with a smile on her face and diva like delivery. The visual of that doesn't fit the dark intensity of the song. Then the sexual dancing around with Mick and leaning into Keith further takes away from the nature and mood of the song.

Perhaps she actually is trying to convey the violation of all those heinous acts better with her all our screaming these days, I certainly feel violated by her but I think it would be better to feel the violation of the subject matter than the singing. winking smiley

To be fair it's easy to imagine Merry Clayton any way that works for us when she was in the studio singing her great lines, and not hard to imagine she was a tad more somber. But can you expect someone to be any thing but happy and delighted when it's their turn in the spotlight performing with the Stones? And lastly, few of the great dark Stones studio tunes have ever expressed the true intensity and mood when played live.

Merry Clayton indeed.

peace

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 21, 2015 04:02

Agree completely and thanks for the killer analysis Swiss.

(my two cents was in there somewhere.. cool smiley

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: June 21, 2015 04:08

Not even close, Gaga made that song finally come alive again. Seeing her live that night made me a fan..a real talent who obviously is a fan of the band dancing in isles ...Fischer let herself go and it is no longer a thrilling duo ....truthfully, Mick is not singing it that well either this tour...he seems winded.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: June 21, 2015 04:26

When Lady Gaga performed this at Newark, it was just a day after 26 people were murdered at the massacre at the Newton, Connecticut school.

This was a difficult song that night.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 21, 2015 04:42

Lisa all the way.

Who TF is Lady Gaga? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-21 04:42 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2015 05:16

....ya gotta get out more

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2015 06:04

Brstonesfan
Not even close, Gaga made that song finally come alive again. Seeing her live that night made me a fan..a real talent who obviously is a fan of the band dancing in isles ...Fischer let herself go and it is no longer a thrilling duo ....truthfully, Mick is not singing it that well either this tour...he seems winded.

I wouldn't put down Lisa ever on this song, but Lady Gaga actually knocked it out of the park that night...an excellent rendition.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 21, 2015 08:38

Merry Clayton hands down.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 21, 2015 10:25

Lisa Fischer. The reason Lady Ga Ga dresses up in a different zany outfit every minute is she's smart enough to know she has no charisma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-21 10:29 by Title5Take1.

Date: June 21, 2015 17:54

NoCode0680
DD
dhinkle555

Declan

I've never heard that comment, but most of their covers have been pretty terrible in my opinion. The only exception I can think of is All Along The Watchtower from Rattle And Hum. It's not mind-blowing or anything (nobody's going to top Jimi's cover, and there have been other good ones), but a solid cover that doesn't sound like some U2 B-side that they just added popular lyrics to. Which is what many of their other covers sound like to me. I was a pretty big U2 fan as a teenager, and I bought one of their singles because of a Paint It Black cover on the B-Side (which was probably my #1 song at the time), and I thought it was garbage. I thought a lot of their original songs were good, but the covers were always a letdown.

You don't like their cover of "Helter Skeleter" and "Unchained Melody"?

But I agree. I'm a huge fan of U2 but they're not so great when it comes to covers. It's probably because Bono's voice is too pretty sounding.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:52

Thanks, Naturalust - appreciate your post a lot!

Naturalust
It is totally strange to watch Lisa strut out the runway, exuding sexuality and then start singing Rape, Murder, War with a smile on her face and diva like delivery. The visual of that doesn't fit the dark intensity of the song. Then the sexual dancing around with Mick and leaning into Keith further takes away from the nature and mood of the song.

Agreed - well said!

Naturalust
Perhaps she actually is trying to convey the violation of all those heinous acts better with her all our screaming these days, I certainly feel violated by her but I think it would be better to feel the violation of the subject matter than the singing. winking smiley

Agreed again smiling smiley

Naturalust
<snip>But can you expect someone to be any thing but happy and delighted when it's their turn in the spotlight performing with the Stones? And lastly, few of the great dark Stones studio tunes have ever expressed the true intensity and mood when played live.

Well...good point...and, as you know, performance is an interesting admixture of feeling, expression, projection, and a sort of authentic "acting." It has to be. Otherwise, if you've had a fight with your SO, or someone ate your Shepard's Pie, or someone said something bitchy before you stepped on-stage your performance would be radically up and down. There's variation in performance, due to the human element, to be sure, but whether Lisa is organically "happy" or not deep down inside may be somewhat less the point than what she's choosing to project in terms of performance.

"Gimme Shelter" is, to me, a darker song than, say, SFTD. I don't know if it's true or not--we hear so many things over the years--but the story that sticks to me (and is part of my mythology around this song, and I'm usually happy to depart with mythology, if it's replaced with something more definitively factual) is it came to Keith while he was anxiously waiting, with Robert Fraser, for Mick and Anita finally to emerge from their Performance shoot, that time period, as you know, is also the juncture at which he started focking around with heroin. You've heard the early version of Gimme Shelter with Keith singing, I'm sure. Mick has a huge amount to do with the song coming to fruition in its brilliance, but it seems to arise originally from Keith's angst.

It's as much an epic slice of a story to me -- as it is a melody and a playing out on stage of male/female yin/yan war/peace love/hatred. And, as such, I really do think that both Mick AND Lisa could do better at "getting into character" rather than just blaring out words and strutting around. Performing is such an extroverted art---but, and Mick used to be able to do this with enormous finesse, even performing in a large space, can make great use of dramatic pause, nuance, and variation in dynamic.

You make a great point, tho. And, of course, I muse on how much of that ability and desire to channel dark intensity and mood shifted after the 1969 tour...

-swiss

Posted by: SackofBrokenEggs ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:56

You're a great writer, swiss.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: June 21, 2015 23:58

Since 2012 lisa just screams.....lady gaga is terrible but lisa screaming last night in Pittsburgh was just dreadful......so if I had to pick one its gaga

Posted by: SackofBrokenEggs ()
Date: June 22, 2015 00:02

I honestly don't think Lisa is screaming. If anything, songs like GS call for an uninhibited type of vocal. I still appreciate Lisa's vocals. Just sayin'. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 22, 2015 00:08

swiss
And, of course, I muse on how much of that ability and desire to channel dark intensity and mood shifted after the 1969 tour...

-swiss

You're welcome swiss, thank you for getting me thinking with your thought provoking post(s).

Your point I quoted here is really good. No doubt in my mind the Stones seriousness about projecting such sentiments too accurately was toned down a bit after Altamont. I too think it was intentional and probably wise at the time. Although the cat was out of the bag, so to speak, as soon as they committed those songs to tape and I'm not sure how effective they could be in quelling the darkness because people who have heard the recordings have already made their associations. I guess smiling while singing Rape Murder and War is one way. winking smiley

peace

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 22, 2015 00:31

Other than Clayton on the original, nothing beats Lisa's from the 1995 live single version.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 22, 2015 00:39

Lisa Fischer, obviously, though yes, I do feel her vocals have been somewhat subpar in recent years. I actually quite enjoyed Mary J. Blige's performance at the 2012 London show.

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: June 22, 2015 03:27

swiss
Merry Clayton.

I've always felt Lisa was somewhat over the top with her approach to this song.

Lady Gaga (tho I both really like and respect her as an artist) seemed to come at it from left field, waving her arms around and spinning, like that's maybe what she imagines you're supposed to do with "hippie music," and overall her choreography was out of sync with the content of what she was singing--her voice is strong and her energy is electric, which is cool to see--but, to me, the best part of this song is its emotional and literal crescendo and resolution, and she starts out bellowing out the gate and there's nowhere to go from there. And although this song is at its rudiments about tension, and that plays itself out musically, vocally, and lyrically--in the Lady Gaga version the tension between her and Mick is strange, and, to me, not entirely appealing or working in service to the actual song.

Fergie...I don't have a problem with her, and at least she brought some dark sexiness to the number, which Lady Gaga did not bring, but she maybe didn't have much chance to shine, and/or also is somewhat confined by her vocal abilities, to soar and rip and hit high notes. It also felt like she probably got up to speed on Gimme Shelter quickly, and didn't really own it. She was singing things like "War AND children -- just a shot away," which, again seems to underscore a lack of familiarity with the piece.

The latter two trot out "Rape Murder" with the 21st Century sensibility of those things being so commonplace in the media (and perhaps in life) as to mean almost next to nothing. Certainly nothing shocking. When the song was written...the point is that the narrator is feeling incredibly vulnerable and unsteady, both in his own life, and regarding the extreme volatility in the external world -- and on the brink of truly not being able to take much more. You can go from relative peace to mayhem in an instant, a shot.

And the other voice says not only is full-fledged, literal "war" a moment away from this one--divided by and catalyzed by as little as one single tipping point action, like the shot heard around the world--any kind of chaos is. The second speaker brings it from the relative abstraction of "War" to interpersonal mayhem of "Rape" and "Murder." Before Gimme Shelter, when else had anyone sang the word "Rape," calling out how mundane and horrific it is in one breath? And pressing the point how rape and/or murder can be upon us in the matter of a mere instant?

The song, to me, has always been about the despair that comes arising from this reality -- especially for one who is sensing complete unleashed mayhem around him.

For me, Merry Clayton's interpretation of this perfectly reflects the sheer horror of that reality. When she sings "murder" -- any of the times she sings that word -- the terrible reality of taking someone's life is abundantly clear. Not just a word. She sings frantically, almost shattering into pieces--reflecting, echoing, taking on another dimension of the narrator's proclamation that if shit doesn't calm down soon --if he doesn't fine some respite from it -- he's straight-up going to lose it.

And the final "kiss away" verse---the narrator (Mick only somewhat convincingly) at least tries to offer up the Stones' versions of "Love is all you need." Suggesting that in the same way evil can set upon us and cause profound destruction in a moment's time, so too can love. It's just as close. It's just as powerful. It's just as urgent. And Merry, in that moment, does not temper her delivery (tho Mick does soften his) -- she is far too keyed up and the topic is too urgent.

The interplay between Merry Clayton and Mick is fascinating in itself, musically and interpersonally. In some ways, Merry Clayton's intense, spot-on delivery unintentionally "bests" Mick -- it ratchets things up a big notch, musically and emotionally. And when he returns to the song and they duet, he has a new strength of conviction and voice. I don't see it as a traditional "competition" -- the way it seems always to have been played out with Lisa and Mick -- and this whole sexual (and male vs. female strength) thing. I find that a little gratuitous.

The tension is important--and if you're a sexy man as Mick is, and a sexy woman as Lisa or Fergie is, there will be some of that in there, but mostly in terms of sheer raw talent, lifeforce, and animus (which is related to libido and sexiness, but different too).

So, I love this song---and I don't think the female part has to mimic Merry Clayton, at all, but I do think she got it right in every way, and it's perfect for the song. And I feel many subsequent live versions of it (when a woman is singing the 2nd part) are cartoonish and a little silly. Fun to watch, but, to me, doesn't really give me chills the way the original does---because there is so much "camp" and faux-sexual-one-up-manship going on.

- swiss
such a superb observation swiss..indeed

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: June 22, 2015 03:40

I witnessed Gaga's performance in person and didn't think it was terrible. She took a different approach on it and I admire that.

Lisa, at one time, knocked it out of the park but not on recent tours. Watching her saunter down the catwalk last night like it was her stage annoyed me. I haven't enjoyed her performance on it since Licks.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home