Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mumford and Sons: what am I missing?
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 02:16

The level of popularity these guys have, sharing the stage with legends, playing with Dylan at the Grammys (which slightly irked me)...
I'm releazing they're some kind of phenomenon. But I don't get it.
There are plenty of artists that I 'don't get', but respect and aknowledge for thier artistry etc...

I was always aware that these guys have taken a critical beating for the most part...considered faux-folksters or hipsterish or whatever. But I didn't really pay much attention to them beyond the two songs I heard on the radio (the lion song and the other one). Those two songs sounded the same, and just a quick scan over the rest of the albums, I surmised that they all sounded the same. So with the hype of their 'going electric' new album, I thought I might take a listen and see if there was more to them...
So I listenened online...
and what I hear is downright amatuerish and soulesss..and they're selling out arenas everywhere. Is it just because they played accousic instruments that makes people think they're authentic? I'm pretty open to anything, but I'm missing something here...
Please explain...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 02:19 by stupidguy2.

Re: Mumford and Sons: what am I missing?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2015 02:18

Go get yaself some early Hasil Atkins recordings ... Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 19, 2015 02:22

Girls is girls
He writes decent hooks and looks like Tim Tebow

They are far easier to explain than One Direction which also dominates my poor old house...they have to be 3 of the prettiest girls I have ever seen

Date: June 19, 2015 02:22

Rockman
Go get yaself some early Hasil Atkins recordings ... Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Didn't know the name, so I did a quick glance online...
Was he what M&S thinks they are?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 19, 2015 02:24

You're not missing anything. Honestly, and I don't mean to just crap on new music, but they are no different than the long line of people from the last 15 years that get praised. Whether it be for hip hop or country or rock or pop, a certain artist will get a surge for like a 3 year period and then they're gone. Or not gone but certainly much less famous and not playing with people like Bob Dylan anymore.

Or you get people like Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Kanye West. You're not missing anything there either, but for some reason they continue to stay huge. There's really no rhyme or reason to the music industry these days and I don't think thats being cynical. If someone would like to explain to me how I'm wrong I'd welcome it, cause I truly can't explain why what is "big" today is big.

Date: June 19, 2015 02:28

Munichhilton
Girls is girls

They are far easier to explain than One Direction which also dominates my poor old house...they have to be 3 of the prettiest girls I have ever seen

But that's the thing. One Direction is what it is..pure commercial pop.
Mumford is treated like some young Dylan, and I ain't seeing it. You summed up what irks, I think for me: there is nothing challenging or new or evolving about them musically or lyrically. They're non-threatening and safe, so they are really no different than OD, and yet are treated as something more. Is just playing acoustic guitar and citing Dylan all it takes to be taken seriously. I love Laura Marling, who M&S backed up...she is the real deal, and nobody knows who she is..
That's my point. These guys seem to be riding a wave of good will without really offering anything of substance.

Date: June 19, 2015 02:32

RollingFreak
You're not missing anything. Honestly, and I don't mean to just crap on new music, but they are no different than the long line of people from the last 15 years that get praised. Whether it be for hip hop or country or rock or pop, a certain artist will get a surge for like a 3 year period and then they're gone. Or not gone but certainly much less famous and not playing with people like Bob Dylan anymore.

Or you get people like Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Kanye West. You're not missing anything there either, but for some reason they continue to stay huge. There's really no rhyme or reason to the music industry these days and I don't think thats being cynical. If someone would like to explain to me how I'm wrong I'd welcome it, cause I truly can't explain why what is "big" today is big.

Thing is I like Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna etc.. for what they are. But they aren't being ushered onto stages with Emmylou Harris or Dylan or Springsteen. These older artist get all excited because someone plays acoustic instruments, but it has to mean something, doesn't it?

Date: June 19, 2015 02:35

stupidguy2
Munichhilton
Girls is girls

Mumford is treated like some young Dylan, and I ain't seeing it. You summed up what irks, I think for me: there is nothing challenging or new or evolving about them musically or lyrically. They're non-threatening and safe, so they are really no different than OD, and yet are treated as something more. Is just playing acoustic guitar and citing Dylan all it takes to be taken seriously. I love Laura Marling, who M&S backed up...she is the real deal, and nobody knows who she is..
That's my point. These guys seem to be riding a wave of good will without really offering anything of substance.

I don't want to come off as a M&S apologist but they write good songs and play there own (unusual for pop) instruments.
They use an upright bass, they use ukeleleleleles or whatever they are...they have banjo.

Everything's been done before... but theses guys write their songs and play them without false accompaniment...

Are they Dylan NO
I've heard more than I care to, but they are decent.

Little Lion Man is good stuff...

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 19, 2015 02:36

agreed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 02:57 by relms.

Date: June 19, 2015 02:43

Munichhilton
stupidguy2
Munichhilton
Girls is girls

I don't want to come off as a M&S apologist but they write good songs and play there own (unusual for pop) instruments.
They use an upright bass, they use ukeleleleleles or whatever they are...they have banjo.

Everything's been done before... but theses guys write their songs and play them without false accompaniment...

Are they Dylan NO

See, that's the thing..
'Decent'
lol..that's it! I like alot of 'decent' music, but M&S is hyped as more than that. I know, I know...there are worse acts out there, but the 'at least these guys play thier own instruments' is a weak argument Mr. Munich.
I need more!
And if you did like their whole folksy thing, they've now changed into leather and black jeans and plugged in, and the banjo guy now says he hates the banjo..so was it a gimmick?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 02:43 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 19, 2015 02:49

Yes I don't get their popularity either. Briefly saw them at Lolapalooza and
their area was packed. Along the same lines I do enjoy "of monsters and men" -
Think they are from Iceland.

Date: June 19, 2015 03:18

stupidguy2
Munichhilton
stupidguy2
Munichhilton
Girls is girls

Are they Dylan NO

See, that's the thing..
'Decent'
lol..that's it! I like alot of 'decent' music, but M&S is hyped as more than that. I know, I know...there are worse acts out there, but the 'at least these guys play thier own instruments' is a weak argument Mr. Munich.
I need more!
And if you did like their whole folksy thing, they've now changed into leather and black jeans and plugged in, and the banjo guy now says he hates the banjo..so was it a gimmick?

Bad move I agree.
I think the 'leather' move was them trying to get away from folk like Dylan plugging in all those years ago at the Newport FF.

I also realize I'm just comparing and contrasting 1D and M&S as an internal struggle here at the ranch...I better bow out I think. I've had enough of both

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 19, 2015 03:53

Mumford & Sons' first album hit a chord. Folksy, good lyrics, and songs that sound like they would fit well in a hole-in-the-wall pub in Scotland. That being said, most people seem to fail to see that the only good part of the first album was the first HALF. The albums afterwards just didn't do anything for me. I say this as a proud recovering hipster and hardcore music fan.

Also, I'll just leave this here... video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 19, 2015 04:07

The new record's not so bad - they ditched the banjo shtick, and did some showcases playing only the new stuff. They will be touring USA with the Vaccines opening - a very cool band.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 19, 2015 04:17

DeanGoodman
The new record's not so bad - they ditched the banjo shtick, and did some showcases playing only the new stuff. They will be touring USA with the Vaccines opening - a very cool band.

You got something against banjos? They were the original open G instrument so indirectly they gave us alot. winking smiley

Check out James Taylor's banjo playing on Neil Young's Old Man. I know it's far from shtick but in sure gives you some appreciation for the instrument used in a non tradition way.

Seen Mumford and Sons a couple times, pretty good fun in concert actually. I think they were just the flavor of the month for a while but are now starting to get their groove. Certainly not my favorite stuff but some of it is pretty good.

peace

Re: Totally OT - Mumford and Sons: what am I missing?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 19, 2015 04:27

What you're missing is the Off Topic hint in yor headline.

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: June 19, 2015 04:35

I would have to disagree with many of you; I think Mumford & Sons are a great band. They play with a great deal of passion and energy. I think it shows on their albums - but it really shows in their live performance. They form a real connection with their audience and get them involved in the show. The band genuinely enjoy performing with each other - they have fun on stage which makes the show that much more enjoyable. One other thing - they sound great. If you still don't get it; I recommend getting tickets to see one of their shows. Their tickets are still reasonably priced and I'm confident you'll be glad you went.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 19, 2015 04:42

RWFish
I would have to disagree with many of you; I think Mumford & Sons are a great band. They play with a great deal of passion and energy. I think it shows on their albums - but it really shows in their live performance. They form a real connection with their audience and get them involved in the show. The band genuinely enjoy performing with each other - they have fun on stage which makes the show that much more enjoyable. One other thing - they sound great. If you still don't get it; I recommend getting tickets to see one of their shows. Their tickets are still reasonably priced and I'm confident you'll be glad you went.

And they have what in common with the Rolling Stones?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 19, 2015 04:51

@Naturalust

Nothing against banjos. But, for better or for worse, they came to be defined by the instrument, not that it was their fault. So they were smart to parody themselves in the Hopeless Wanderer video with Ed Helms + Co., and move on with this new record. I saw one of the club shows a few weeks back and they were great. The girls love 'em and the guys don't hate 'em.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 19, 2015 05:00

Not real big fan of their music
Don't own, and will probably never own any of their music

....but I did see them live, and damn, they are good.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 19, 2015 05:07

It all comes down to this 'Americana' music shtick. These white guys in hipster clothes thinking they're a 1920s jug band. And maybe their bearded audience hasn't seen this before. I hadn't really heard the blues before Led Zeppelin's first album, but at least there was something there. I would imagine if you'd never heard Woody Guthrie and you heard Dylan first, you might think Bob was the s&*t. But again, at least there was something there.

Mumford & Son has that Dave Matthew vibe to me, kind of nothing to the bottom of the music, done with acoustic instruments. It's folk without depth. And I imagine their audience is pretty superficial too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 07:49 by 24FPS.

Date: June 19, 2015 05:35

24FPS
It all comes down to this 'Americana' music shtick. These white guys in hipster clothes thinking their a 1920s jug band. And maybe their bearded audience hasn't seen this before. I hadn't really heard the blues before Led Zeppelin's first album, but at least there was something there. I would imagine if you'd never heard Woody Guthrie and you heard Dylan first, you might think Bob was the s&*t. But again, at least there was something there.

Mumford & Son has that Dave Matthew vibe to me, kind of nothing to the bottom of the music, done with acoustic instruments. It's folk without depth. And I imagine their audience is pretty superficial too.

Yep. That sums it up for me. Nice, pleasant but no depth or resonance or urgency..

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 19, 2015 06:17

I agree w. RWFiah. M&S are a great band. Really good live. Could be the next U2. I like them a lot, but I know they are not everyone's cuppa.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 19, 2015 12:50

This: video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 13:06

I've really enjoyed the few songs of theirs I've heard. Not enough to explore the rest of their catalog, but enough to download those individual songs. It's not my usual thing, but I'll listen to them every once in a while.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 19, 2015 13:45

Yeah but I'm with Iggy with this music, 'I'm bored'. It all sounds the same, Someone FT someone Else.

Where's the NEW Stones album, and I don't mean the 1971 reissue.

If 'Marvin Gaye' can get it on, and have a hit, so, surely, can Mick & Keith?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 13:51 by midimannz.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 14:21

IF YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THEM... you're missing nothing. Awful, contrived band and sound in my opinion.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 14:41

bitusa2012
IF YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THEM... you're missing nothing. Awful, contrived band and sound in my opinion.

Plus I don't think those dudes are really his sons.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 19, 2015 16:22

the earnest young mens with beards syndrome. bleh! the wimpification of this generation. don't get it. i saw them supposedly "rock out" on tv. i say hardly. someone oughtta lock them in a room & make them listen to exile on main street until they pee on themselves. just my opinion. its all good. be & do what you want, just as long as i don't have to watch or listen in this case if i don't want to. i am a little irked about their gentlemen of the road festival though. they make you buy $200 tickets for both days without the option of a single day ticket. around here, foo fighters & flaming lips are both on the bill & i really like those bands but not $200 worth for a shortened festival set.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 19, 2015 16:26

& they really need to get off of my lawn! smoking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home