Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones Need More Female Opening Acts
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 18, 2015 19:11

I just googled this topic and was surprised at how few female singers, or bands fronted by women, have opened for the Stones over their fifty year career. We have been to six Stones concerts since 1994 and have only seen boy bands. I know Grace Potter recently opened for them, and Sheryl Crow has been with them too on tour. Just guessing, I would say that over 95% of all opening acts have been boy (male) bands, with the one male being the lead singer.

I think The Pretenders would be a great opening act. I saw Chrissie Hynde on television a few days ago and she can sing and play rhythm guitar as well as any man. She plays mainly fast paced rock music and a few ballads

Here is a song she wrote with others. I had no idea she wrote this.

[www.youtube.com]

Joan Jett also puts on a terrific show. She sings a mean Star, Star.

If you agree, please recommend a good female act that could open or the Stones.

Also, can anyone put forth a reason the Stones have tended to avoid female rock groups. Are they anti-female, as some of their songs might suggest?

Re: The Stones Need More Female Opening Acts
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:17

I was surprised the Alabama shakes aren't opening some shows for them.

they are pretty hot right now..

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:19

I'll admit to liking some of the stuff Sheryl Crow does. And I can only repeat how sad it was to have Amy Winehouse not showing up because she was hungover.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:20

Marianne Faithful ?

Date: June 18, 2015 20:21

Sheryl Crow is really amazing with them. I wish they'd have her come out for some shows this time, she just fits in really and she is extremely talented. I think Grace Potter's performance was awful... I have never really gotten into her music though I've listened before and I think she has a good voice but she could not keep up on Gimme Shelter and sounded like she was wailing the whole time (and not in a good way.)

I agree that Joan Jett would be an amazing opening act.

ZZ Ward is a younger (late 20's) female artist who just toured with Eric Clapton recently as an opener. Some of her songs are a bit "mainstream" for me, but she is very blues-based and has a fantastic voice. A few samples:

Her Son House cover: [www.youtube.com]

"Lil Darlin" [www.youtube.com]

"Put the Gun Down" [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-18 20:38 by brokecollegestudent.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:27

flilflam

Heart, Sheryl Crow, Avril, Alanis, Florence, Zooey Deschanel, Bonnie Raitt, Lucinda Williams, Courtney Love, Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Veruca Salt, Joss Stone, Grace Potter, The GoGos and many many more. I love women who rock.

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:29

I saw Joan Jett opening for the Who in Columbus in mid May and she was great. Only problem is her set was only 40 minutes. She would be great for the July 4th show at IMS, but she is playing in RFK stadium in DC with the Foo Fighters and others.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:30

Ike & TINA Turner review did a whole tour (I think) with them and even got featured on the re-release of Ya-Ya's.

I won't debate the 95% number given by the original poster, as I wouldn't know where to do the research myself, but I wonder, assuming that the number is correct, how far does it vary (deviate) from the actual percentage of Rock artists that are male/female. The "Rock" world is very male dominated and I wonder if the Stones openers simply follow the "general make up" of the genre. Also, before we accuse the Stones of being "anti-woman". we should probably see how the Stones compare vs. their contemporaries like The Who, LedZep, The Beatles, U2, Bruce, etc. in regards to the % of female openers at those concerts.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 18, 2015 20:31

delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-18 20:32 by brokecollegestudent.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:33

Here's a partial list of the opening acts since 1962: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:42

Rhiannon Giddens!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:47

duke richardson
I was surprised the Alabama shakes aren't opening some shows for them.

they are pretty hot right now..

They are mid tour, about to head for Europe if my memory is correct. I think Nashville was the only date where they were close by and not playing their own show. I was sure they would be opening the show. I agree it would have been a treat but it wasn't meant to be.

peace

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:47

Not saying there isn't any validity to the sexism charge.. but the numbers are also reflective of the male/female ratio of rock bands and rock artists in general.

The Rock Hall of Fame is less than 10% female..

That said.. would love to see Susan Tedeschi or Lucinda Williams or Sleater Kinney or any number of female performers open for the band.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 00:14

I'm not sure about the 95%, tho it could be right;
I will say that I've seen Sheryl Crow open for the Stones 5 times and I haven't seen anywhere close to 100 shows.....(and I saw Joss Stone as well!)

as for acts that would be great opening for the Stones with female vocalists...

Courtney Love/Hole
Delta Rae
Lucinda Williams
Florence & the Machine
Janelle Monae

somebody mentioned ZZ Ward and I'd second that tho right now she's nowhere near big enough...
Other lesser known acts that would be great..

Lydia Loveless
Hannah Aldridge
Logan Brill
Nikki Bluhn & Gramblers

On a side note, I thought Grace Potter was outstanding....

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 00:29

flilflam
I just googled this topic and was surprised at how few female singers, or bands fronted by women, have opened for the Stones over their fifty year career. We have been to six Stones concerts since 1994 and have only seen boy bands. I know Grace Potter recently opened for them, and Sheryl Crow has been with them too on tour. Just guessing, I would say that over 95% of all opening acts have been boy (male) bands, with the one male being the lead singer.

I think The Pretenders would be a great opening act. I saw Chrissie Hynde on television a few days ago and she can sing and play rhythm guitar as well as any man. She plays mainly fast paced rock music and a few ballads

Here is a song she wrote with others. I had no idea she wrote this.

[www.youtube.com]

Joan Jett also puts on a terrific show. She sings a mean Star, Star.

Also, can anyone put forth a reason the Stones have tended to avoid female rock groups. Are they anti-female, as some of their songs might suggest?

The Pretenders were the opening act at Hockenheim 2003. I really liked them. At the other two concerts I was in that year(2 times Munich) the Cranberries opened. They were good too.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 19, 2015 00:49

no they don't

Date: June 19, 2015 01:04

And what about African Americans? No justice.......!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 19, 2015 01:07

Liz Phair.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2015 01:09

NO they don't .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2015 01:10

ladies and gents...we now have 2 "no they don'ts"....waiting for #3

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: June 19, 2015 01:11

Based on the ratio of male to female artists in the music business I think they have given plenty of opportunities to females joining them or opening. I've seen Heart, The Pretenders, Sheryl Crow and even Taylor Swift. Missed out on some other great one's like Tina Turner. I thinK The Stones are an equal opportunity employer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2015 01:15

waiting for #3

Easy .... NO THEY DON'T

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2015 01:18

Rockman
waiting for #3

Easy .... NO THEY DON'T
Thank You....NO THEY SOITENLY DON'T

Date: June 19, 2015 03:35

jrcjohnny99
I will say that I've seen Sheryl Crow open for the Stones 5 times and I haven't seen anywhere close to 100 shows.....(and I saw Joss Stone as well!)

Courtney Love/Hole
Delta Rae
Lucinda Williams
Florence & the Machine
Janelle Monae
Ö
somebody mentioned ZZ Ward and I'd second that tho right now she's nowhere near big enough...
Other lesser known acts

that would be great..

Lydia Loveless
Hannah Aldridge
Logan Brill
Nikki Bluhn & Gramblers

I used to be friends with one of the guitarists in Nicki Bluhmm & the Gramblers(he was really cool and sent me a copy of zipper intact Sticky Fingers for my birthday) and they are fantastic but I'd rather see ZZ Ward with the Stones. To each their own smileys with beer

Date: June 19, 2015 04:22

brokecollegestudent
jrcjohnny99

Courtney Love/Hole
Delta Rae
Lucinda Williams
Florence & the Machine
Janelle Monae
Ö
Other lesser known acts

that would be great..

Lydia Loveless
Hannah Aldridge
Logan Brill
Nikki Bluhn & Gramblers

I used to be friends with one of the guitarists in Nicki Bluhmm & the Gramblers(he was really cool and sent me a copy of zipper intact Sticky Fingers for my birthday) and they are fantastic but I'd rather see ZZ Ward with the Stones. To each their own smileys with beer

You may have misunderstood my post, I love ZZ Ward and have seen her live multiple times...

Date: June 19, 2015 04:48

jrcjohnny99
brokecollegestudent
jrcjohnny99

Courtney Love/Hole
Delta Rae
Lucinda Williams
Florence & the Machine
Janelle Monae
Ö
Other lesser known acts

that would be great..

Lydia Loveless
Hannah Aldridge
Logan Brill
Nikki Bluhn & Gramblers

You may have misunderstood my post, I love ZZ Ward and have seen her live multiple times...

Nice, I will see her this fall for the first time! Good to know there are more ZZ fans who are also Stones fans. Cheers smiling smiley

Date: June 19, 2015 04:54

brokecollegestudent
jrcjohnny99
brokecollegestudent
jrcjohnny99

Courtney Love/Hole
Delta Rae
Lucinda Williams
Florence & the Machine
Janelle Monae
Ö
Other lesser known acts

that would be great..

Lydia Loveless
Hannah Aldridge
Logan Brill
Nikki Bluhn & Gramblers

Nice, I will see her this fall for the first time! Good to know there are more ZZ fans who are also Stones fans. Cheers smiling smiley

I'm a little frustrated with the new tour dates, she isn't playing within 200 miles of Indianapolis where I now live....life was easier when I lived in LA...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 20, 2015 05:59

I love the Pretenders ... I got to see them open for the Stones back around 2002 or thereabouts. I consider that a female opening act.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 20, 2015 06:09

jrcjohnny99

Janelle Monae

+1. I don't know why Mick hasn't brought her into his orbit. She channels a bit of James Brown.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 20, 2015 06:47

makemeburnthecandle
And what about African Americans? No justice.......!

At least there was Living Color in 1989. Hispanic Americans have had it way worse.

How about Ricky Martin, Pit bull, J Lo (getting the female opening act under their belt in one fell swoop!).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home