Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Thief In The Night
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 12, 2015 17:13

How people don't hear this tune as magnificent I don't understand. Easily the top 3 songs by Keith on any Stones LP. All three are excellent.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 24, 2015 00:05

Quintessentially Keith Richards and, by extension, quintessentially The Rolling Stones.

The Stones tracks featuring Richards lead vocals from the period 1980 to 2005 never cease to amaze me.

There are times when I lay awake at night thinking that little in the Stones catalogue from the 1960s and 1970s can compete with these stunning Richards-driven numbers.

Individually and collectively they possess a depth and an honesty, above all else, that elevates them above much of the band's output.

Olly.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 24, 2015 00:18

Olly
The Stones tracks featuring Richards lead vocals from the period 1980 to 2005 never cease to amaze me.

All of them? Infamy included?

Drew

Date: July 24, 2015 00:41

drewmaster
Olly

Drew

Yes, that statement reads as being deliberately provocative doesn't it (winking smiley), but it wasn't intended as such... I should have qualified: some are better than others.

'Can't Be Seen' is the weakest, and 'Wanna Hold You' and 'Thru and Thru' are the weakest lyrically although both have their merits, especially the former.

'Infamy' was my favourite track on A Bigger Bang when I first heard the album. The drums are fantastic and the lyrics, wry as they are in places, fit Richards' persona perfectly.

Whilst the opposite could be said of other(s) in the band, Richards voice, in every sense, seems to have grown in sincerity since the turn of the 1980s.

Olly.

Date: July 24, 2015 00:55

Olly
drewmaster
Olly

Drew

Yes, that statement reads as being deliberately provocative doesn't it (winking smiley), but it wasn't intended as such... I should have qualified: some are better than others.

'Can't Be Seen' is the weakest, and 'Wanna Hold You' and 'Thru and Thru' are the weakest lyrically although both have their merits, especially the former.

'Infamy' was my favourite track on A Bigger Bang when I first heard the album. The drums are fantastic and the lyrics, wry as they are in places, fit Richards' persona perfectly.

Whilst the opposite could be said of other(s) in the band, Richards voice, in every sense, seems to have grown in sincerity since the turn of the 1980s.

I was going to say, Drewmaster, that what Olly said does not imply it's all good. Just that they "never cease to amaze" him!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 24, 2015 10:49

A little Down in Mississippi feel to it. Love it.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 24, 2015 11:32

For me the most boring song on the Bridges-Album. And it sounds weired, needless to say that it´s tooooooo loooong.
Two minutes of ideas strechted out endlessly and it´s totally overproduced, maybe to camouflage the lack of ideas. A hopeless case.

I prefer stripped down arrangements and so I like Losing My Touch a lot, which is totally different. Losing My Touch is heartbreaking and leaves you breathless. Thief In The Night always leaves me bored to the max. Seconds turn into minutes if not hours of maximum boredom. For Keith-Lovers only.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 11:44

HMS
For me the most boring song on the Bridges-Album. And it sounds weired, needless to say that it´s tooooooo loooong.
Two minutes of ideas strechted out endlessly and it´s totally overproduced, maybe to camouflage the lack of ideas. A hopeless case.

Have to agree. Joke's on Keith with this one – while he’s singing this monotonous dirge, the woman he’s planning to pluck flew the coop with his guitar tuner.

Posted by: boldasluv ()
Date: July 24, 2015 11:57

It isn't a Stones tune, but one of my favorite Keith songs is "Say It's Not You" from the Bradley Barn Sessions with George Jones! Absolutely amazing! Dig it!

Date: July 24, 2015 13:16

drewmaster
Olly

Drew

Infamy amazes me every time. Not in my worst nightmares I thought such crap could ever end up on an album by The Rolling Stones. They should have included Under The Radar and kicked Infamy off. ABB is a very good latter-day-Stones-album, but with Streets Of Love and Infamy it also contains the maybe worst Stones-songs ever done in this glorious band´s history.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 24, 2015 17:28

boldasluv
It isn't a Stones tune, but one of my favorite Keith songs is "Say It's Not You" from the Bradley Barn Sessions with George Jones! Absolutely amazing! Dig it!

Very nice!!! Never heard this one before. Thanks boldasluv!

Drew

Posted by: boldasluv ()
Date: July 24, 2015 21:34

Howdy,
I hadn't heard "Say It's Not You" either, but a buddy made a CD of Keith's greatest hits and used that track to fill the CD. It ran from "You Got the Silver" to "Thief In the Night" and "How Can I Stop". He called it "Keef Sings" and it really is a good sampling of Keith's efforts.

Date: July 25, 2015 07:11

Deaf ears for some. Or tuneless ears.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 26, 2015 01:15

Yes love this track, Keith never fails to amaze me, its like he is making music for me personally, i love everything he does.
He could sing silent night or dancing queen and i would be happy smiling smiley
Its his voice and the way he phrases everything and that's not to mention the guitar. Plugged in or acoustic he just blows my mind.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 26, 2015 12:40

This is one of Keith's best lead vocal songs with the Stones.

Date: July 26, 2015 12:50

Don´t think so. It´s "Losing My Touch".
LMT is amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-26 12:51 by HMS.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: July 27, 2015 15:25

They don't even use a real piano anymore. On pianoheavy songs like Losing My Touch it really shows that lack of a real piano.

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: July 27, 2015 16:46

Who is the young lady singing with Bernard on this clip of Thief in the night from Istanbul '98?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 27, 2015 18:56

Muddyw
They don't even use a real piano anymore. On pianoheavy songs like Losing My Touch it really shows that lack of a real piano.

From all that I've read Losing My Touch does have piano in it, an acoustic piano, not a digital keyboard. It's even credited that way on the album for the song - Chuck Leavell - piano.

Date: July 27, 2015 18:59

keithglimmer
Who is the young lady singing with Bernard on this clip of Thief in the night from Istanbul '98?

[www.youtube.com]

Leah Wood.

Olly.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 4, 2018 12:35

I am just re-watching 1980's "The Blues Brothers" and guess what during James Brown's sermon he says... "For the day of the Lord cometh... as a thief in the night!". His words exactly!

Weird huh? I'm sure Keith watched this film back in the day. Did the line come up to him more or less consciously 17 years later?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 4, 2018 12:57

dcba
I am just re-watching 1980's "The Blues Brothers" and guess what during James Brown's sermon he says... "For the day of the Lord cometh... as a thief in the night!". His words exactly!

Weird huh? I'm sure Keith watched this film back in the day. Did the line come up to him more or less consciously 17 years later?

Or maybe Keef knows his Bible quotes?
Thessalonians 5:2

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 4, 2018 13:01

Bad.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 4, 2018 13:07

Boring. I don't know why they played it in stadiums dozens of times. Makes no sense at all. I'm glad it disappeared after 1999 (with one exception).

Date: February 4, 2018 14:25

They played it because they liked it. The fans loved it, too.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 4, 2018 14:41

DandelionPowderman
They played it because they liked it. The fans loved it, too.

That is not my experience. More the opposite. People started talking to each other during that song or went for another beer (I was seated). The level of interest dropped a bit. At least in my section.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 4, 2018 14:43

This was rather a toilet break-show stopper kind of thing. If people liked it then because of Leah Wood who was sweet at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 14:44 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: February 4, 2018 15:02

Toilet break-song OR showstopper? Make up your mind smiling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 4, 2018 15:05

Soporific song...just like 'Losing my Touch'.
thumbs down

Date: February 4, 2018 15:23

Thief In The Night .... So much better than the late '90's performances of "Miss You" , "You Got Me Rocking" etc. .

Probably was both a break song for some and a show-stopper for those who actually stayed to listen to it.

Most people who left obviously didn't even give the song a chance. Those people who think Jagger leaving the stage is their chance for a break and / or who didn't care about hearing a less recognizable slow tempo song. The same thing even happens with "Slipping Away" "All About You" and "You Got the Silver" . Even "No Expectations" WITH Jagger. This does not mean that they are bad song(s).

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home