Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mahoney's last stand Ron Wood/Ronnie Lane
Posted by: TRS ()
Date: August 16, 2014 05:35

video: [youtu.be]

Really great music. It was a soundtrack for a movie from mid seventies
Anybody else love it!? The video is track from "late to early". My favorite on the album. Lots of cool instrumentals mixed in great listen highly recommend!!

Check out the personel

Wiki

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-16 06:08 by TRS.

Re: Mahoney's last stand Ron Wood/Ronnie Lane
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 16, 2014 09:39

yeah, got it. indeed, nice ,great music.very smoothing for the soul.

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-16 09:39 by corriecas.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: August 16, 2014 15:46

Yes it's a great album, I have this on vinyl, bought it way back I guess when it was first released.
My favourite cut is "Just for the Moment" a soothing instrumental on a cool, dreary summer day.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 16, 2014 16:41

You can watch the entire film here!

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 16, 2014 16:48

Recorded during the "Oooh La La" sessions when Rod didn't turn up and then released a couple years later...should appeal to all Faces fans. One CD release of MLS actually has some Ooh La La outakes/instrumentals as bonus tracks. Enjoyable laid back vibe....

Date: August 16, 2014 18:03

The personnel on this made me think,maybe it is a group of musicians,engineers producer's and such that had something magic chemistry.Beause in one form or another they made some of the most appealing music for me. Combos that are in the Stones,Faces,Who Zeppelin and more. I don't see that kind of musical comorodaree anymore.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 16, 2014 19:58

I always liked the instrumental Tonights Number.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 16, 2014 20:09

Thanks for posting. I haven't heard or thought about this album in probably 10 years. VERY sweet.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: August 16, 2014 20:33

Yep, it is a favorite of mine. I've even used portions of it as the soundtrack to edited home videos of the kids when they were small.

Date: August 16, 2014 20:54

MidnightPeanut
Yep, it is a favorite of mine. I've even used portions of it as the soundtrack to edited home videos of the kids when they were small.

That's a good idea!! Thanks!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 16, 2014 22:10

Yup, got the vinyl too, I think I'll dig it out as I haven't gave it a spin for ages.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-16 22:11 by shadooby.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 20, 2014 20:24

Why doesn't someone reissue this? Great music, but unless you want to pay fifty quid for the vinyl (when available second-hand) there's no way to buy it.

Unfortunately Ronnie Lane's back catalogue appears and disappears like smoke and mirrors - don't assume that what's available today will be available tomorrow.

Posted by: coatsey ()
Date: August 21, 2014 03:18

Both versions of 'Just For A Moment' are great but I prefer the vocal for additional poignancy. It's up there with Ronnie's other great tracks for The Faces such as 'Debris'.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: August 21, 2014 14:09

I love both ronnies, by themselves, together like this or in the faces together. They made some really fantastic music, especially their more folk/acoustic music.

Is it just me, or is Ronnie Wood just amazing. Played in three great bands, some nice solo albums and collaborates well with so many such as keith, rod stewart, ronnie lane etc etc

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: August 21, 2014 16:07

Ronnie Wood IS amazing!

Date: August 21, 2014 16:18

There will be a major article on The Faces, solo projects from the members of the faces and solo album like Mahoneys Last Stand in the Next Mojo Magazine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeroen

Date: August 21, 2014 16:19

ZantiMisfit
Ronnie Wood IS amazing!

hot smileysmileys with beersmileys with beersmiling bouncing smiley

Fully agreed upon !!!!!!!!!!!!!
ps So is Keef.

Jeroen

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: August 21, 2014 19:49

I was listening to this just a couple of weeks ago, really fantastic music. Good to start the night off with.
Woody is a great team player!

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: September 3, 2014 00:35

Great album. One of many played constantly in my late teens with Ron Wood solo albums and the Stones, Dylan, The Band, The Faces, Van Morrison...always loved Ronnie Lane's songs from The Faces albums too. Great songwriter. God bless him

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: September 3, 2014 01:14

I loooove from the late to the early and just for a moment. Beautiful tracks from a fantastic duo

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 3, 2018 04:43

[americansongwriter.com]

2/2/2018
"The Real Gone reissue label of this obscure soundtrack says it all.

The backstory goes that this was recorded — at least partially — when Rod Stewart failed to show up for various 1972 Faces’ sessions. The rest of that band, along with some high profile players such as horn men Bobby Keys and Jim Price, Pete Townshend, and Family’s (later Blind Faith’s) Rick Grech among others, recorded tracks which were spliced into the titular film. The movie was never given a proper theatrical release, but the soundtrack was finally made available on vinyl in an inauspicious 1976 release that quickly went out of print.

It deserved a better fate.

While the music, much of it instrumental reflecting the nonchalant sessions, isn’t always compelling, it’s consistently listenable. Given the iffy circumstances of its creation, these (mostly) jams catch fire more often than not. And the sheer quality of the names involved, most of which were arguably at the height of their powers, make even the most unfocused moments worth hearing.

Veteran producer Glyn Johns likely edited the music into shorter spurts, keeping the best bits so even the more directionless improvisations such as “Car Radio” blast out with a scrappy yet inviting energy. Acoustic flashes such as “Hay Tumble” featuring Grech’s fiddle, along with “Woody’s Thing” and the bluesy country honk of “Rooster’s Funeral” spotlighting Wood’s slide work capture a rambunctious vitality comparable to the first four Rod Stewart albums and the Faces’ at their peak. Some selections such as the unpromisingly named “Title One” sound like background music to a typical 70’s TV cop show, albeit above average for that scenario. The swampy slow blues of “Mona the Blues,” one of the vocals, which contains biting slide guitar from Wood is a lost gem. Along with Ronnie Lane’s heartbreaking, lovely roots folk/pop “Just for a Moment” — also included in an instrumental version — they justify the price of this labor-of-love remastered reissue. Freshly penned liner notes fill in the blanks about both the obscure movie and its music, but get out the magnifying glass to read the individual track credits, reprinted in frustratingly tiny type.

Those familiar with Ronnie Lane and Pete Townshend’s far superior Rough Mix or the instrumental “Apple Jam” sessions tacked onto George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass will hear and appreciate similarities in this disc’s freewheeling pieces.

Mahoney’s Last Stand may not be a lost classic, but for fans inclined towards the music of Wood, Lane, Stewart and the Faces during these years, it’s undoubtedly enjoyable and a minor delight to have back in print."

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 3, 2018 07:04

Another memory from the past. I have this somewhere in one of the vinyl collection boxes along with a Slim Chance album. I was into the whole Faces and associates thing back then. Then I got into something and someone elses musically and I don't remember exactly what or who.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 3, 2018 19:53

A little tribute to Ronnie Lane. Fantastic show from 1970 at the legendary club of the rockandrollcity of London. The camaraderie and friendship of the Faces is so obvious and heartfelt here; it spills over into the music, just too good.
Rockandroll,
Mops

[youtu.be]

Date: February 3, 2018 21:02

Lovely album thumbs up

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 4, 2018 13:30

I have the vinyl and in fact there was a cd (New Millenium Communications, London) from 1998 with five bonus tracks that actually are not related to the movie but to the Faces, including an embryonic version of My Fault from Ooh La La.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 4, 2018 16:30

JJHMick
I have the vinyl and in fact there was a cd (New Millenium Communications, London) from 1998 with five bonus tracks that actually are not related to the movie but to the Faces, including an embryonic version of My Fault from Ooh La La.

thumbs up I have both versions as well. There are quite a few instrumentals which is fine, the guitars throughout the album are simply amazing!

Date: February 4, 2018 17:44

One (or maybe two?) Of the tracks was also on Ronnie's debut album.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2620
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home