Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28
Re: Dallas TX USA 6-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 08:11

flacnvinyl
tumblingdice
Interesting Drake. So in previous tours did they have more or point them better? I had heard somewhere that they have a great system now. When you have time maybe you can compare them for us? If you want to, of course.

I would be glad to. If you examine the main PA system from Bridges to Babylon, for example, they had speakers pointed to the upper deck. The secondary relays had a similar setup which would hit a wider area of the stadium and not just the people in front of the main hanging PA. Quick comparison below.

Well, maybe not quite so fast:

Just an extra wrinkle to consider: But IMO the sound on tours that perhaps had better array coverage/placement, such as the Bridges stage shot you show above, could still be CRAP given the band's decision to subordinate crucial and core instruments (i.e., the damn guitars!). In my recollection, the guitar sound on the bridges tour was crap. Yeah, it was loud everywhere in the stadium...but do I need to have Uptown Horns and Lisa Fischer as the loudest things I hear? Of course not. It made me MAD then, and it makes me mad now to think about how they tried to play to the lowest common denominator on every tour since '89 by thinking that 80% of the audience was Kenny G. fans who want a "professional" sound. Barf.

Every tour I heard from 89 to 06 showcased the freakin' horns or vocals. Guitars were crap, and almost secondary. A far cry from, well, heck, '75 or even '78 for sure, to reference a couple of tours that most either love or hate. (I love them both.)

But certainly, the post Steel Wheels live atmosphere has been (in general--regarding the sound mix and prominence of instrumentation), a million miles away from '69 or '72, when the Stones were a guitar band without dispute.

They could fill the stadium with 700 tractor trailer loads of line arrays not only pointed at, but SITTING WITHIN indvidual sections!, and I'd still hate it if they treated the overall mix as something that needs to sound "professional" as opposed to "guitar driven." They have been AFRAID to be a true guitar band for a long while. Well, Mick has. And probably he has his reasons for feeling this way!

But early reports about the Zip Code tour give me hope that they aren't so scared these days, and are willing to let people here the core band actually play.

I'm a broken record on this, boring everyone on this board with my thoughts, but I would love to hear an entire tour of trainwreck guitar songs! Let us hear those main guys front and center without the safety net of supporting players!!!

But, unfortunately IMO, most ticket buyers probably expect a degree of 2015 slickness/perfection as pushed out there by the likes of today's autotuned poofsters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 08:14 by rocker1.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 8, 2015 08:24

nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 05:19 by relms.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 8, 2015 08:35

The Sicilian
JadedFaded
Hey Sicilian and other warhorse complainers, do you not believe that the Stones' warhorse songs are the greatest rock and roll songs ever written? They are masterpieces. How do you get bored with a masterpiece?

Actually a few are masterpieces but for the most part, they are not all the greatest songs ever written. Far from it in some cases. But you just don't get it. This show is not a $15 ticket anymore but it has become a $15 show. The sound appears to be very good but so what, I fully expect that. They are very well seasoned professionals with top shelf roadies and sound crew. You don't get points for that. People need to speak out and demand more. They certainly have no problem charging premium ticket prices with no apologies.

I don't think speaking out and demanding more is going to change much at this point. They are just too much of a brand with too many casual fans for it to make any difference. I agree about the warhorses but against all logic I still find it quite fulfilling seeing them once every time out. Yeah it's a bit pricey but if you have good seats, a friend in tow and even a spark of an open mind you can't help but have a good time.

Besides, when they are gone we will likely remember having such important "problems" like the Stones having a stale set list with a bit different perspective.

peace

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 8, 2015 09:22

CloudCat
little queenie
Did anyone see the jerk who threw something at Mick during Rocks Off? He was in front of me
and ruined that moment of Mick in front of us....he was so proud of that moment and then spent the rest of the show
trying to talk to me and high-five me with his friends...Other than him and his friends, great show!!

what was thrown? an offering? or something to disrupt?

Anything thrown at the Mick is a distraction/disruption, even if the tosser* thinks it's a gift.
The Mick (bless his face) don't like things being thrown at him. Which is completely understandable:
From his point of view they're all just incoming missiles that turn to hazards to the Stones that move around on stage.

They should make a little educational video of his reactions to stuff being thrown -
there's miles of his eloquent irritation to be seen even just in the official videos.
They could put that on the big screens before each show, and send a crewmember around with a basket
to collect would-be gifts from tosser* wannabes.

* wordplay intended

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 09:53

with sssoul
CloudCat
little queenie
Did anyone see the jerk who threw something at Mick during Rocks Off? He was in front of me
and ruined that moment of Mick in front of us....he was so proud of that moment and then spent the rest of the show
trying to talk to me and high-five me with his friends...Other than him and his friends, great show!!

what was thrown? an offering? or something to disrupt?

Anything thrown at the Mick is a distraction/disruption, even if the tosser* thinks it's a gift.
The Mick (bless his face) don't like things being thrown at him. Which is completely understandable:
From his point of view they're all just incoming missiles that turn to hazards to the Stones that move around on stage.

They should make a little educational video of his reactions to stuff being thrown -
there's miles of his eloquent irritation to be seen even just in the official videos.
They could put that on the big screens before each show, and send a crewmember around with a basket
to collect would-be gifts from tosser* wannabes.

* wordplay intended

Normally yes, but he did seem to enjoy the cowboy hat somebody threw up there during Satisfaction. Mick can't resist a hat.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: June 8, 2015 10:04

Did Mick manage to NOT stuff up the words on Rocks Off for once?!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 8, 2015 10:12

Icetraders
GIMME sHELTER - video: [youtu.be]

Can anyone be so kind to tell/explain how to properly upload youtube video???? Thank You in advance........

Not sure how you do it from a mobile device as the url's are different - ask to watch the video, and if your device offers you the choice between "YouTube" and "browser" then choose the browser option, copy the url and remove the s from the https bit of the address, so:

If you "quote" this message you'll see that the url on the "browser" version is in a different format though the essential identifying data is the same.

If you've got a device that takes you straight to YouTube without the option, then just keep doing what you're doing: very few people actually mind having to go and watch on YouTube and some prefer it that way because embedded videos make the thread take longer to load.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 8, 2015 10:47

just got home a few hours ago-

i saw the same thing bv saw,the rest of the "reviews" seem to be from a different show or an alternate universe.

in 40 years of seeing the stones i've only seen them play a better show maybe once or twice.

it was a great crowd,really really loud,singing along and giving every song a huge reception.i was at the end of the catwalk on keiths side and everytime i turned around and looked back the entire place was on their feet.

after seeing some of the comments on this show i was so confused i went on youtube and looked at all the videos to see if maybe i had lost my mind during the show-but whatya know,there it is -stones playing great,packed house,crowd on their feet going nuts,singing along having a blast and that's just cell phone video...that show just killed,they nailed it.

are some of you guys really,really sure you still like the stones? i'm just asking,because it's like if you're around someone who isn't happy with anything you do or say at some point its better if you just,you know...part company.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 12:36

lem motlow
just got home a few hours ago-

i saw the same thing bv saw,the rest of the "reviews" seem to be from a different show or an alternate universe.

in 40 years of seeing the stones i've only seen them play a better show maybe once or twice.

it was a great crowd,really really loud,singing along and giving every song a huge reception.i was at the end of the catwalk on keiths side and everytime i turned around and looked back the entire place was on their feet.

after seeing some of the comments on this show i was so confused i went on youtube and looked at all the videos to see if maybe i had lost my mind during the show-but whatya know,there it is -stones playing great,packed house,crowd on their feet going nuts,singing along having a blast and that's just cell phone video...that show just killed,they nailed it.

are some of you guys really,really sure you still like the stones? i'm just asking,because it's like if you're around someone who isn't happy with anything you do or say at some point its better if you just,you know...part company.

I think they played a fine show, the sound system let them down a bit but I still enjoyed seeing them again. I would LOVE a soundboard recording though, so I can hear it the way it was meant to be heard, like people in some areas of the stadium heard it. In my area it wasn't crazy bad, but the guitar was very hard to hear, and sometimes vocals too. I can confirm some of the crowd stories though, because I was in a pretty sedate area. They were on their feet for the first couple of songs, and during certain songs, but then sit back down again if a lesser-known song was played. Maybe you were looking around at the right times. I was paying quite a bit of attention to see when people were standing/sitting because the people who kept asking us to sit down were kind of making me feel like a dick. I mean, on one hand I get it, yes we could all sit down and see the show just fine. But how do you sit at a Stones show? So I was looking around from time to time, looking for other people standing as a sign that it wasn't JUST us. And there were other pockets of people standing all over the place, plus a few sections that seemed pretty lively. The floor was lively from start to finish though, so it's no wonder you had a different experience. There were times where the boys got the whole building rocking, and with that many people it was rocking hard, but it came in spurts. Maybe people were tired from walking a mile to the stadium or something. And there were some people who maybe couldn't stand the whole show. For instance I heard one guy ask a kid 5-6 rows down in from of us to sit down because his wife had a bad knee and couldn't stand. The kid was about to, then they started playing Moonlight Mile and he got up again, but promised he'd sit down after that song, because that was his song or whatever. And he did sit down after the song, along with most of the section, for Rocks Off. But then everybody was up for HTW, down again for Keith's set, up again for MR. And so on.

I had a blast though, Rocks Off was one of my most wanted songs, and I got to hear that. I never thought I would ever get to hear Moonlight Mile, checked that one off the list. Never heard Rambler, was happy for that one. Even though they're played to death, I've never heard YCAGWYW or BTMMR live, so I enjoyed those more than the standard warhorse. And some of the warhorses sounded pretty great to me, IORR and HTW were pretty rocking, and I actually found myself enjoying Miss You. While I can think of plenty of songs I would prefer in the D&G slot, I do enjoy it and this was my first time hearing that one live too.

When I saw them at Texas Motor Speedway in '97 my friend who I went to see them with was PISSED they didn't play YCAGWYW. Like he was saying he wished he hadn't even spent money on a ticket because they didn't play it. It's pretty much his favorite song in the world, and he just assumed they were going to play it. I was on cloud 9 after the show, so happy, and he was just being a downer and moping around because of no YCAGWYW. So when they played it last night I couldn't help but laugh, and when I got home last night sent that guy (who spent 10 years in the army and twice married with a bunch of kids since then) a message on Facebook to rub it in.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 8, 2015 13:54

i have to say i have been watching some of the you tube clips and i am very impressed . the stones are ageless wonders of the world . simply amazing at how well they are able to ply there craft at such a point in their lives . bravo glimmers take a bow you certainly deserve it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 8, 2015 14:29

Munichhilton
The sound was fine down low. We would look way up as if to the top of a skyscraper and see those high high levels, and I knew it couldn't be great up there.

I stuffed ear plugs into my 11 year old's ears after JJF. That system was far from underpowered. It may not have been enough stack coverage to get the perfect mix to every echoey corner. But the power was there, songs were easily identifiable and MOST of Jagger's comments understood (from down low).

The whotapes recording shows how clearly that place reverbed so I guess I was in the sweet spot as far as first repercussions off the crowd...it may have been on 3 echoes moving around by the time it hit the top rows?

They didn't need more power, they needed better or increased stack angling and placement...

mine is just one lousy opinion

smileys with beer Munichhilton, I love reading you almost out of character on your recollection. It's great to see how this tour becomes a family affair for ever more posters. Are you planning to hit more shows?

Posted by: fender99 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 15:12

Stadiums are always risky for a concert.
But they still pull in the crowds, people still
complain about the set lists the world keeps turning.
I just try to take in the moment. I'd love to
see and hear deeper into albums. I'd give a ton to hear
Who's Drving My Plane or Flip the Switch,Sister Morphine.Everybody
has songs. They play to the masses so it is
what it is. Buy they are out there. I'm thankful for that.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 8, 2015 15:55

I'm looking to Buffalo. Saw them in Boston 2013. They played 22 songs in 2013 and aside from SD have played 19 songs on this tour. Man, what I would give for a 22 song setlist this time around especially how well they are playing. A nice blend of throwback selections plus the warhorses. Had Fingerprint file playing yesterday and that would be a great song to bring back amongst so many others of course.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 8, 2015 16:11

Nikkei
Munichhilton
The sound was fine down low. We would look way up as if to the top of a skyscraper and see those high high levels, and I knew it couldn't be great up there.

I stuffed ear plugs into my 11 year old's ears after JJF. That system was far from underpowered. It may not have been enough stack coverage to get the perfect mix to every echoey corner. But the power was there, songs were easily identifiable and MOST of Jagger's comments understood (from down low).

The whotapes recording shows how clearly that place reverbed so I guess I was in the sweet spot as far as first repercussions off the crowd...it may have been on 3 echoes moving around by the time it hit the top rows?

They didn't need more power, they needed better or increased stack angling and placement...

smileys with beer Munichhilton, I love reading you almost out of character on your recollection. It's great to see how this tour becomes a family affair for ever more posters. Are you planning to hit more shows?

I hate the lack of discipline Munich displays here falling completely out of character. How are we supposed to take him seriously now?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 8, 2015 16:16

The Sicilian
JadedFaded
Hey Sicilian and other warhorse complainers, do you not believe that the Stones' warhorse songs are the greatest rock and roll songs ever written? They are masterpieces. How do you get bored with a masterpiece?

Actually a few are masterpieces but for the most part, they are not all the greatest songs ever written. Far from it in some cases. But you just don't get it. This show is not a $15 ticket anymore but it has become a $15 show. The sound appears to be very good but so what, I fully expect that. They are very well seasoned professionals with top shelf roadies and sound crew. You don't get points for that. People need to speak out and demand more. They certainly have no problem charging premium ticket prices with no apologies.

Just stay home on JULY 11TH. You are not traveling from city to city seeing every show so what difference does it make what they play when you aren't there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 16:30 by RockinJive.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 16:40

My 32 year old cousin saw them for the very first time - 21 for me. After the show she exclaimed, "something's wrong - something's very wrong. Men their age cannot do that. I've never seen anything like that in my life." She could not have been more impressed.

Date: June 8, 2015 16:50

I watched heard the show on periscope and I was VERY impressed.

This is a very impressive band.

That version of "Rocks Off" in Dallas was spectacular, especially when it kicked into high gear ~2:40. I was dancing around 4000 miles away as much as if I was at the show.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 8, 2015 17:15

Naturalust
The Sicilian
JadedFaded

I don't think speaking out and demanding more is going to change much at this point. They are just too much of a brand with too many casual fans for it to make any difference. I agree about the warhorses but against all logic I still find it quite fulfilling seeing them once every time out. Yeah it's a bit pricey but if you have good seats, a friend in tow and even a spark of an open mind you can't help but have a good time.

Besides, when they are gone we will likely remember having such important "problems" like the Stones having a stale set list with a bit different perspective.

peace

Amen Naturalist.
To whine about and demand setlist changes at this point is futile, and frankly it makes the whiner sound like someone who suffers a severe case of dementia.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 8, 2015 17:21

Yeah RO's fantastic, certainly as good as it was in 94... and this time the guitars are not buried in the mix as they were during the VL tour.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 8, 2015 17:23

Why do you ( some iorrians here) feel the need to personally insult posters who are critical? What are you, 12?

Date: June 8, 2015 17:43

Redhotcarpet
Why do you ( some iorrians here) feel the need to personally insult posters who are critical? What are you, 12?
Classic internetism where one chastises others for making personal insults while one makes personal insults about others.

Date: June 8, 2015 17:54

Persistent setlist whining...
Reminds me of the old saying: "if you stop banging your head on the wall, the pain will stop too".

I welcome and embrace all constructive criticism (Keith's playing, Ronnie's lack of playing, Chuck's tinkering, Lisa's wailing, lame crowd, etc., etc., etc.),
but to continually whine about a setlist gets kind of boring - like a broken record, and as has been said it's a bit futile at this point to try and "demand" changes.
But if setlist whining is your thing, carry on if you must...confused smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 8, 2015 18:04

I hope my earlier post wasn't taken as a whine, just a historical observation and comment. IORR seems like the best forum for these thoughts. Lord knows my wife won't care to listen….lol

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 8, 2015 18:11

treaclefingers
Nikkei
Munichhilton

I hate the lack of discipline Munich displays here falling completely out of character. How are we supposed to take him seriously now?

It's a sponsored post
Click on the ad so I can make a little scratch, huh?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 8, 2015 18:12

Naturalust
flacnvinyl
Munichhilton

Your opinion is awesome and accurate. By underpowered I am not talking about the stacks that are there. I am talking about the stacks that are NOT there. In Indianapolis for example, they will have a ton of extra stacks.. Enough for every section. The current setup does not cover the upper decks of any venue. I'd say it's hanging too low and should be angled up a bit more. The floor is great. Just bad where none of the existing stacks are pointed.

Sound is a very tough craft. Look at the wide shots. The second stacks are pointed to the last half. Nothing is pointed toward the cheap seats. Bummer for those folks.

Glad your sound was good munich! Sound like you really enjoyed the show.

Just a bit more info: It's not just about the number of speaker arrays and their placement but calibrating the arrays to deliver in phase and properly EQ'ed sound to specific sections. It gets pretty complicated in super large venues where lower frequencies and higher frequencies behave differently and delays are required just to sync the sound from arrays which are separated by large distances.

All large shows with multiple arrays use complex computer based sound management like Meyer Sounds Galileo system. If you are further interested check out Meyer's webpage.

[www.meyersound.com]

peace

I think my ideas just backed your previous post big T...

Date: June 8, 2015 18:19

Maindefender
I hope my earlier post wasn't taken as a whine, just a historical observation and comment. IORR seems like the best forum for these thoughts. Lord knows my wife won't care to listen….lol

Nah, an occasional setlist gripe seems justified - especially at the current ticket prices.
It's the persistent, perpetual whines/whiners that seem out of touch with reality.

Now if you were to constantly demand they add Fingerprint File to the setlist in every post you made, then you might have some issues lol.

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: June 8, 2015 18:28

I sensed this could be a great show when Keith practically ran to the front of the stage after the introduction, then paused briefly as if to soak it all in before launching into JJF with a huge grin on his face. I was 8 rows back on his side, and I saw that grin a lot the rest of the show. No one was sitting down in my area except the guy next to me who had some back problems and had to sit occasionally.
The sound was perfect on the floor with the guitars loud and up front. I've heard Bitch on two previous tours and it sounded kind of cluttered, with too many instruments too high in the mix. Saturday I could clearly hear Ronnie playing the riff while Keith churned the Berry-ish riffs, with the horns and keyboards lower. Keith's opening riff to MR was so raw it about tore the whiskers off my face. Intense sole from Ronnie near the end and of course the awesome harp from Mick. Rocks Off was another highlight for me with Keith's guitar prominent, and Moonlight Mile was amazing. A song I never thought I would be lucky enough to hear played live.
There were a lot more younger people than at the shows I attended on the last two tours. They were having a blast and went crazy when they played - wait for it - HTW, GS, Sympathy, SMU, Satisfaction, etc. I'm talking jumping up and down, high-fiveing, hugging, singing along with arms around each other, just flat out celibrating. Say what you want about the set list, but Mick knows his audience. He had them in the palm of his hand during Miss You.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 8, 2015 18:48

Naturalust
Glad your sound was good munich! Sound like you really enjoyed the show.

Just a bit more info: It's not just about the number of speaker arrays and their placement but calibrating the arrays to deliver in phase and properly EQ'ed sound to specific sections. It gets pretty complicated in super large venues where lower frequencies and higher frequencies behave differently and delays are required just to sync the sound from arrays which are separated by large distances.

All large shows with multiple arrays use complex computer based sound management like Meyer Sounds Galileo system. If you are further interested check out Meyer's webpage.

[www.meyersound.com]

peace
Stones have been on Clair bros since the licks tour as far as I know. This is an interesting article on their mix.

[www.prosoundweb.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 18:49 by erbissell.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 8, 2015 18:59

relms
I watched heard the show on periscope and I was VERY impressed.

This is a very impressive band.

That version of "Rocks Off" in Dallas was spectacular, especially when it kicked into high gear ~2:40. I was dancing around 4000 miles away as much as if I was at the show.
That is one of the best live versions of that I've ever seen. High energy, muck actually pushes the higher vocal lines instead of staying low. And Keith, not only nails all the changes, but really drives the song while still packing in some killer lead lines. He seems to do much better when really focusing like this, rather than wandering around like on sympathy. I am very glad to see moments like this that really reaffirm they are still the greatest rock and roll band in the world!

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 8, 2015 19:15

That Rocks Off is good, about 2 minutes in it takes off for real, great job Keith.
Better than in 1994? Maybe.
Better than in 2003? Nah, not really.

As for the rest of the show - great, judging by recording better than my 2014 show.
But I still think the shows I saw on the bashed 2007-tour were better.
Sitting listening to Dallas recording now and IORR is unbelievably sluggish. Tumbling Dice seems to have been a similar bore. Doom And Gloom needs a new arrangement. Bitch just like my beloved Brown Sugar lacks that steady punch.
Remaining songs are excellent. Miss You is performed extremely well and I love the revival of Start Me Up thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 20:24 by yeababyyea.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home