Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28
Re: Dallas TX USA 6-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: June 8, 2015 19:39

Was a really fantastic show from start to finish.

Ended up near the front of Section 125 with lucky dip. There were scores of empty seats there (e.g. 2 entire rows behind us), presumably unsold because it was a "limited view" section based on the back speaker stands (see pic below). Filled in by second half of show, people probably telling buddies in nosebleeds.

But really, this didn't obscure much, especially since the stage was so far away anyway. Great view of the screens, and the sound was very loud and sounded OK for a stadium. Would have been nice to be closer, but way better than being up high or in bad sound zones on the sides. An absolute bargain for $40.

If people are reading this and going to future shows with Lucky Dip tickets ... if you get stuck with horrible nosebleeds, you could do worse than check out equivalent sections to 125 in Dallas.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 8, 2015 20:02

it just reminded me of how small of a sample iorr is of the stones fanbase.

walking out of the show the crowd was just buzzing about how great the show was.anytime i saw a tour shirt,at the bars after the show,at my hotel,at the airport,i struck up a conversation with the person.

everyone,and i mean every single person i talked to were just shaking their heads, amazed at how great the stones are.

one guy who looked to be in his late 20's said "i go to alot of concerts and i've never seen anything like that,they really are the best ever arent they"
i said"yup,been that way forever"

you get a couple of "oh i wish they couldve done paint it black " or whatever but its kinda with a tone that says the person understands they just have so many great songs and it wasnt really an issue.

a couple of common sense issues-standing or sitting.i've sat on the stage behind the stones,they can only see the beginning of the main floor ,beyond that it's just dots of color.if you are in any of the balcony seats dont worry about hurting their feeling by sitting down.if people around you are sitting just chill-you're probably white and probably not young,your "dancing" isnt really important to the process.

the sound-anyone who has ever been to a show in a large place should understand that its not gonna be the same everywhere,it's not possible in a building that big.and that place is FCKING HUGE- you cant really tell from the video or pictures.from the main floor the people in the top look like they're,as someone said,on top of a skyscraper looking down at you.

i'm not worried about anyone having complaints, its just that sometimes i think some of you should ask yourselves ,are you really enjoying the rolling stones at this point? because some of you seem really..burdened by it all..

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 20:23

lem motlow

walking out of the show the crowd was just buzzing about how great the show was.anytime i saw a tour shirt,at the bars after the show,at my hotel,at the airport,i struck up a conversation with the person.

everyone,and i mean every single person i talked to were just shaking their heads, amazed at how great the stones are.

one guy who looked to be in his late 20's said "i go to alot of concerts and i've never seen anything like that,they really are the best ever arent they"

you get a couple of "oh i wish they couldve done paint it black " or whatever but its kinda with a tone that says the person understands they just have so many great songs and it wasnt really an issue.

a couple of common sense issues-standing or sitting.i've sat on the stage behind the stones,they can only see the beginning of the main floor ,beyond that it's just dots of color.if you are in any of the balcony seats dont worry about hurting their feeling by sitting down.if people around you are sitting just chill-you're probably white and probably not young,your "dancing" isnt really important to the process.

the sound-anyone who has ever been to a show in a large place should understand that its not gonna be the same everywhere,it's not possible in a building that big.and that place is FCKING HUGE- you cant really tell from the video or pictures.from the main floor the people in the top look like they're,as someone said,on top of a skyscraper looking down at you.

i'm not worried about anyone having complaints, its just that sometimes i think some of you should ask yourselves ,are you really enjoying the rolling stones at this point? because some of you seem really..burdened by it all..

"Enjoing The a Rolling Stones at this point" is an interesting concept. I bought a red vinyl copy of LIVE'r Than You'll Ever Be last month and have been enjoying it almost every day since then. I have no interest in modern-day Stones and am bemused by the every-show-is-the-greatest-show-ever cheerleading that goes on in some quarters.

I dig IORR a lot because I pick up tidbits of info I never knew about my favorite band. Doesn't mean I dig 'em now; in fact, I gave up on the band in that sense when they gave up on themselves as creators of new music.

Still, it's a great big community here and I guess we can all take from it what we need!

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 8, 2015 20:28

It is 2015 and the Stones are still touring. That is a gift. Yes, the ticket prices are too high, and yes, the set list is too predictable, but tens of thousands of us go to the shows and have a BLAST. That's what rock and roll is all about!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 8, 2015 20:40

lem motlow

That is the bottom line really... They are still capable of delivering happiness..

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 8, 2015 22:08

Pure fcking joy

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 8, 2015 22:35

lem motlow

It makes me recall a story of watching the Neville Brothers at the Saratoga Mtn. Winery one time. We were probably in the 3rd or 4th row and Joan Baez was sitting directly in front of us. Everybody was seated and in the middle of one of the tunes Joan stood up and just started boogieing! I mean letting it all hang out. Not only was her spontaneous display inspiring but it got the whole section boogieing in pretty short order. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: atip ()
Date: June 8, 2015 23:46

Alfonz
Was a really fantastic show from start to finish.

Ended up near the front of Section 125 with lucky dip. There were scores of empty seats there (e.g. 2 entire rows behind us), presumably unsold because it was a "limited view" section based on the back speaker stands (see pic below). Filled in by second half of show, people probably telling buddies in nosebleeds.

But really, this didn't obscure much, especially since the stage was so far away anyway. Great view of the screens, and the sound was very loud and sounded OK for a stadium. Would have been nice to be closer, but way better than being up high or in bad sound zones on the sides. An absolute bargain for $40.

If people are reading this and going to future shows with Lucky Dip tickets ... if you get stuck with horrible nosebleeds, you could do worse than check out equivalent sections to 125 in Dallas.

I was right behind those two empty rows in Sec 125. Yep, the "Limited View" wasn't. That stadium isn't the best for sound, but the lower you are, the better. 400 Level sucks. Sat up there for U2, and would never do it again.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 9, 2015 00:29

JadedFaded
It is 2015 and the Stones are still touring. That is a gift. Yes, the ticket prices are too high, and yes, the set list is too predictable, but tens of thousands of us go to the shows and have a BLAST. That's what rock and roll is all about!

thumbs up >grinning smiley< smiling bouncing smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out grinning smiley

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: June 9, 2015 00:51

It's a gift that we still have the Rolling Stones touring. It was an awesome show. I will never miss them in Texas. Mick was just incredible in Dallas. How he does it at his age, I'll never know. THERE IS ONLY ONE MICK JAGGER AND ONLY ONE ROLLING STONES! LONG LIVE THE STONES!!!

Posted by: Jon Lasaa ()
Date: June 9, 2015 00:59

Hi all.

Thank you for all that sort of brilliant pictures!

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: June 9, 2015 01:03

Let me be very clear here: THE STONES KICKED ASS IN DALLAS! Anyone who thinks they didn't, didn't belong there. That was a real Rock n Roll show. Nothing fake about it, like all the other crap that's out there.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 9, 2015 01:40

Keefy
Let me be very clear here: THE STONES KICKED ASS IN DALLAS! Anyone who thinks they didn't, didn't belong there. That was a real Rock n Roll show. Nothing fake about it, like all the other crap that's out there.

The Stones kick ass every night. That's why the are the best.

Posted by: longhorn14 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 01:42

I was in Dallas, 33 rows back on the floor, Keith's side. This show was amazing in just about every regard. I was also in San Diego a couple weeks back, that show doesn't hold a candle to this one. San Diego seemed like unrehearsed opening night rock 'n roll whereas Dallas was perfectly sloppy (in all the right ways) rock 'n roll.
I'll break my experience up in sections for simpler digestion. If you weren't there, hopefully this can give you an idea of my experience. And, if you weren't there, you can disagree all you want (but I don't want to hear it).

On the Venue
This stadium is massive, and quite comfortable. Climate was adequately controlled. Restrooms, bars and merchandise areas seemed plentiful. The walk from the various parking lots was long, but how could it not be? The floor seating (in terms of space between rows) was far more spacious than what I experienced in San Diego, probably an additional 8 inches of legroom.

On the Crowd
This was a very enthusiastic crowd and featured all ages and all levels of interest (casual bucket listers and hardcore fans). In San Diego, the crowd just did not seem into it. In Dallas, the sound of the cheers and applause blew the semi-open roof off the place. Being on the floor, I could hear the charged-up cheers and feel the energy hitting from all directions. Everyone (seemingly) on the floor was on their feet. I turned around numerous times to see how the rest of the venue was reacting, lots of people standing, dancing, squealing with joy. The crowd noise was 5x what I witnessed in San Diego in terms of intensity. More telling, IMO, was the fact that there was not as much of a herd of people heading for the bathroom during Keith's set or during Doom and Gloom. In my area, people stayed, most still stood and sang along. The whole time. There was a palpable passion that cannot possibly be captured on Periscope.

On the Sound
The sound was fantastic where I was, everything mixed nicely. In San Diego the echo where I was seated (floor as well, in front of FOH mixer area) was terrible. It was very loud, but muffled in that area. On the floor in Dallas it sounded great. I can imagine it not sounding as good in the less expensive seats, can't sound great everywhere.

On the Setlist
I loved the setlist for Dallas. What do people expect? I'd toss D&G out in favor of something else, but I can live with it. Rambler was absolutely nuts, freaking incredible. From the start to the slowdown to the frenetic up-swing in tempo the guitars were charging hard, the crowd was dancing and I was flying high as a kite on nothing but one $9 beer and a hell of a performance. I thought the place was going to come apart. Miss You was great, as usual. I loved Keith's set, BTMMR and Happy would be my choices, so glad he did those two. Gimme Shelter was great, Keith nailed the opening notes beautifully. Glad to see Lisa instead of Grace Potter (to anyone who thinks the Stones don't take chances, look at the one they took in Minneapolis with Potter). Sympathy was good, great riffing by Keef. Funny "hot mic" incident following SFTD--you can hear Mick following the song say "@#$%& smoke bombs." Guess he swallowed too much of the pyro. Satisfaction was the best I have seen it, can you deny they were having fun? It was a very extended version. Crowd was feeding back the energy, one infinite loop of elation. I could go on and on. I have seen the Stones more than a few times and I found this arrangement to be very good.

On the Price
Are these shows too expensive? In my opinion I think so (although they seem to charge what the market will bring). I think it is just as bad to charge me $50 for parking. That parking spot didn't do anything for me. The $9 Coors Light is just as criminal. Alas, I paid for the parking and the beer and the show--and I am glad I did.
As far as complaining about the view or the sound from the upper decks, it is what it is. The "cheap seats" are less expensive for a reason, quality of the performance at that location. The first couple times I saw the Stones I was in those seats, and I still loved every minute of it. When one buys a seat in those sections they are going to get less of an experience. First Class tickets on an airplane cost more, I wouldn't sit in Coach and demand white glove treatment and a hot towel.

Anyone Still Reading?
This is quite possibly the best Stones show I have seen (I have only been seeing them since the Licks tour). It is a close tie to Madrid in 2014 (I was front row there and the Spanish crowd was awesome--hard to compete with that). This show was 10x better than HP1 in 2013 and 5x better than San Diego two weeks ago. Those are my thoughts. I am someone who attended the show, in person. I am not basing my opinion on a crummy Periscope feed or shaky cellphone video (although I love the technology). San Diego was decent, but I was worried. Dallas had me thinking these are the best Stones I have seen in my short time of seeing them. Nobody mentioned how friendly the staff at AT&T was, everyone I interacted with was so polite. I am not the hyperbolic type, but this show blew me away. If it can get better, I am not sure how.

I also had the pleasure to make a new friend or two, and introduce another friend to a live Stones show. Those who helped with that know who they are and I thank them.

-Nathan (from Austin)

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 9, 2015 01:54

Thanks Longhorn, nice read. A shame i was not there.
jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2015 01:54

longhorn14
I was also in San Diego a couple weeks back, that show doesn't hold a candle to this one.

---------------------------------------------------------

Anyone Still Reading?

You lost me at the beginning with the jab at San Diego lol.

Date: June 9, 2015 02:03

Hairball
longhorn14
I was also in San Diego a couple weeks back, that show doesn't hold a candle to this one.

Anyone Still Reading?

Obviously not grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2015 02:15

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
longhorn14

Anyone Still Reading?

cool smiley

It was indeed a great review from start to finish - thanks longhorn14! thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 9, 2015 02:31

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
longhorn14

Anyone Still Reading?

cool smiley

It was indeed a great review from start to finish - thanks longhorn14! thumbs up

Yeah, great review like your perspective! Also you mirror BV in that he's taking a respite from reviews because he's running out of superlatives....

Date: June 9, 2015 02:31

Pretty sweet review Nathan. You paint a pretty clear picture of your experience. Knowing how good SD was, it's a bit of shock to read Dallas was 5x better. Can't imagine 1973 was 5x better. winking smiley Thanks.

peace

Date: June 9, 2015 02:33

Hairball
longhorn14

Anyone Still Reading?

smiling smiley San Diego was pretty good and the experience was good. This show just had so much more.

Date: June 9, 2015 02:36

Naturalust
Pretty sweet review Nathan. You paint a pretty clear picture of your experience. Knowing how good SD was, it's a bit of shock to read Dallas was 5x better. Can't imagine 1973 was 5x better. winking smiley Thanks.

peace

I know what you mean. Completely subjective of course. Could it really have been 5 orders of magnitude better? Doubtful, but I needed something for scale and in my mind it worked. I felt like I was a part of something special. I am a 40 year old white guy with no dancing ability, yet I was compelled to dance. I only fear two things in life, dancing and vegetables. I overcame one of those in Dallas smiling smiley

Date: June 9, 2015 02:55

longhorn14
Could it really have been 5 orders of magnitude better? Doubtful, but I needed something for scale and in my mind it worked. I felt like I was a part of something special. I am a 40 year old white guy with no dancing ability, yet I was compelled to dance. I only fear two things in life, dancing and vegetables. I overcame one of those in Dallas smiling smiley

lol. Compelled to dance. I heard people got ejected for that in Dallas.

As far as "orders of magnitude" are concerned...5 orders of magnitude better than 1 is actually 100,000X better. Pretty sure you just meant 5x (1/2 Order of magnitude).

peace

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 9, 2015 02:57

yeababyyea
That Rocks Off is good, about 2 minutes in it takes off for real, great job Keith.
Better than in 1994? Maybe.
Better than in 2003? Nah, not really.

As for the rest of the show - great, judging by recording better than my 2014 show.
But I still think the shows I saw on the bashed 2007-tour were better.
Sitting listening to Dallas recording now and IORR is unbelievably sluggish. Tumbling Dice seems to have been a similar bore. Doom And Gloom needs a new arrangement. Bitch just like my beloved Brown Sugar lacks that steady punch.
Remaining songs are excellent. Miss You is performed extremely well and I love the revival of Start Me Up thumbs up

Agreed. It's Only Rock N Roll is such a mess, it has been like a parody of itself since the return in 2012.

And those who say you can't judge the shows by recordings, of course you can.
I've seen 7 shows since 2012 and none of them have been better live than when I listened to them on recording. If you had a good time or not is another thing. The music doesn't change on a recording. Actually the most sober reviews often comes from people who didn't even attend the show. The need people have to feel that the concert was worth the expensive ticket they bought makes them write biased reviews.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 03:10 by EasterMan.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 03:20

EasterMan
yeababyyea
That Rocks Off is good, about 2 minutes in it takes off for real, great job Keith.

As for the rest of the show - great, judging by recording better than my 2014 show.
Sitting listening to Dallas recording now and IORR is unbelievably sluggish. Tumbling Dice seems to have been a similar bore. Doom And Gloom needs a new arrangement. Bitch just like my beloved Brown Sugar lacks that steady punch.
Remaining songs are excellent. Miss You is performed extremely well and I love the revival of Start Me Up thumbs up

Agreed. It's Only Rock N Roll is such a mess, it has been like a parody of itself since the return in 2012.

I've seen 7 shows since 2012 and none of them have been better live than when I listened to them on recording. If you had a good time or not is another thing. The music doesn't change on a recording. Actually the most sober reviews often comes from people who didn't even attend the show. The need people have to feel that the concert was worth the expensive ticket they bought makes them write biased reviews.

I actually enjoyed IORR quite a bit. But maybe I was just caught up in hearing one of my favorite Stones tunes, even if it is a Warhorse. But it, along with Paint It Black, is what originally turned me onto The Stones. I haven't really enjoyed many live performances of it over the years, they've never really captured the groove and production of the studio version, nor have they really tried. It's always been more of a straight-forward Chuck Berry style rocker when played live. Maybe the "sluggish"-ness is what I liked about it in Arlington, it was more of a laid back jam like the studio version. Either by design, or they really just were sluggish and I just happened to enjoy it.

Date: June 9, 2015 03:42

EasterMan
yeababyyea

Agreed. It's Only Rock N Roll is such a drag, it has been like a parody of itself since the return in 2012.

Pretty interesting perspective. It's pretty clear people evaluating the recordings are almost solely judging it by the sound of the music and that for people attending a show it's a different experience altogether. Lights, pyro, volume ,personalities and collective consciousness (or unconsciousness) all come together to tweak peoples perspective of "the show".

So basically you can't judge a show by the recording, you can only judge the recordings of the show by the recordings.

That being said I'll go on record as saying the recordings of the Dallas show I've heard are not the best playing and singing I've heard from them, not even the best from this tour, actually.

peace

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: June 9, 2015 04:28

Thank You Longhorn 14 for a very personal review, well written and we'll said. This was my 14th Stones show dating back to 1975, and I'll say this ranks in my top 3 all time and the best I've seen on every level since I saw them in Feb 98 in Houston. I saw McCartney there in 09 and the sound compared to then was far superior. And having the roof open was a key element to that. Gotta eat a little crow on Jerry World but its Stoned Crow so I can hack it. On a personal note I'd like to think the band played so well as a tribute and hats off to their friend the late great badass Bobby Keys in his home state.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: June 9, 2015 04:30

I'm afraid of Dancing Vegetables Longhorn. Da Dum!

Date: June 9, 2015 04:37

Naturalust
longhorn14
Could it really have been 5 orders of magnitude better? Doubtful, but I needed something for scale and in my mind it worked. I felt like I was a part of something special. I am a 40 year old white guy with no dancing ability, yet I was compelled to dance. I only fear two things in life, dancing and vegetables. I overcame one of those in Dallas smiling smiley

lol. Compelled to dance. I heard people got ejected for that in Dallas.

As far as "orders of magnitude" are concerned...5 orders of magnitude better than 1 is actually 100,000X better. Pretty sure you just meant 5x (1/2 Order of magnitude).

peace
Thanks for clearing that up, I won't ever get that wrong again smiling smiley
As far as listening to recordings vs. being at the show, I have a different opinion. Recordings which are not using quality equipment can't be trusted much. My phone records audio terribly. Sound gets compressed when people share recordings, etc. Even timing is affected I think. I can listen to some I took at the show and think "I don't remember it sounding like that." A soundboard recording is different, more fidelity for sure. Just as a photo from a phone doesn't come close to the work your eyes and brain do for physical images...

All that said, interesting perspectives. I was at Petco and thought "this doesn't sound very good." Compare it to Dallas (using Petco as a reference point) and Dallas was much better. The band was tighter, the crowd more alive.

As far as the dancing in Dallas, don't believe what one person said with regard to getting kicked out for dancing. I've seen loads of Texas shows and have never witnessed that (but I have seen people chastised for congregating in areas they don't belong).

Make no mistake, they killed it in Dallas smiling smiley

-nathan (from austin)

Date: June 9, 2015 04:41

751st
I'm afraid of Dancing Vegetables Longhorn. Da Dum!
Now that's the stuff of nightmares!!

Glad you enjoyed the show as much as I did. Maybe it was Bobby Keys hanging in the ether propelling the boys forward!

-nathan (from austin)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home