Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Zip Code - Tour name
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:39

can we just agree this is the dumbest name/theme for a tour yet? or do we need to take a vote...

i was looking at the poster for the dallas show, thinking that it looking pretty slick for a bunch of grandparents playing guitars, until i saw "zip code" at the top. it's just silly/dumb/nonsensical?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-06 22:50 by bv.

Re: Zip Code - Tour name
Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:40

I agree with everything in this post...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-06 22:50 by bv.

Re: Zip Code
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:40

Dunno... "Licks Tour" is up there too.

Date: June 6, 2015 02:42

Nikkei
Dunno... "Licks Tour" is up there too.

at least it kind of made sense - the tongue logo licks, the guitars play licks,...

Date: June 6, 2015 02:44

It can make kinda sense but still be dumbed-down.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:49

Better than "Just a Kiss Away", as was rumored. That would have been worse.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 6, 2015 03:05

Those of us in the USA probably think it's pretty banal to be the name for a rock tour by the Stones. Surprised they are not being sued by the US Postal Service as it is pretty much their exclusive domain. Perhaps the Postmaster General is a fan.

Maybe is sounds more cool and clever to foreigners, something exotically associated with America? confused smiley Certainly Mick thought is was good....as a double entendre it's a bit too obvious to be particularly clever, imo.

In the end it's just a tour name, spilled milk that we can't do a thing about so rather meaningless. Even more meaningless since they haven't been performing the prerequisite 5 songs from Sticky Fingers!

It's possible that some people feel a bit of a connection with the zip code they reside in and it becomes a bit of prideful patriotism that they can market to their advantage with the merch, but of course the city names would probably have done the trick.

In trying to come up with something better I find myself falling a bit short. Something that encompasses the SF theme and is a good name for a rock band travelling around America;

"Moonlight Miles Tour" or "Hear Us Knockin" Tour" is about all I could come up with.

peace

Date: June 6, 2015 03:09

I'm still holding out for that rumoured "The Rolling Stones F*ck Off" Tour to happen.
That's gonna be some merchandise for the ages!

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: June 6, 2015 03:10

Sticky Sweet Summer Tour

Naturalust
Those of us in the USA probably think it's pretty banal to be the name for a rock tour by the Stones. Surprised they are not being sued by the US Postal Service as it is pretty much their exclusive domain. Perhaps the Postmaster General is a fan.

Maybe is sounds more cool and clever to foreigners, something exotically associated with America? confused smiley Certainly Mick thought is was good....as a double entendre it's a bit too obvious to be particularly clever, imo.

In the end it's just a tour name, spilled milk that we can't do a thing about so rather meaningless. Even more meaningless since they haven't been performing the prerequisite 5 songs from Sticky Fingers!

It's possible that some people feel a bit of a connection with the zip code they reside in and it becomes a bit of prideful patriotism that they can market to their advantage with the merch, but of course the city names would probably have done the trick.

In trying to come up with something better I find myself falling a bit short. Something that encompasses the SF theme and is a good name for a rock band travelling around America;

"Moonlight Miles Tour" or "Hear Us Knockin" Tour" is about all I could come up with.

peace

tying it in with sticky fingers is dishonest in my opinion since there is virtually no connection. the big "deep track" in minnesota was OOC.

in the absence of a clever idea, descriptive is best - e.g. TOTA in 75.

"made in the shade" should have been a tour name at some point. but back then they weren't touring in support of greatest hits albums...

PalaisRoyale
Sticky Sweet Summer Tour

that's a good one!

Date: June 6, 2015 03:11

Nikkei
I'm still holding out for that rumoured "The Rolling Stones F*ck Off" Tour to happen.
That's gonna be some merchandise for the ages!

i must have forgotten to send you the memo. that's what 89->2015 tours have been. they are all just legs of the "f*ck off" tour.

Date: June 6, 2015 03:14

Thanks for the notion. I must have missed to get that shirt.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 6, 2015 03:14

You don't think it's got anything to do with the Sticky Fingers album cover and reissue, then?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 6, 2015 03:15

Deltics
You don't think it's got anything to do with the Sticky Fingers album cover and reissue, then?

i think the name "zip code" does but the tour is not turning out to have much to do with the sticky fingers reissue and there is nothing rock n roll about "zip code".
if they were to really run will it they should be using the zip codes for each city in the posters, promotions, etc. - kind of like they flirted with when they had the zip code billboards in LA.
as just a name for a tour they print on posters, it stands out as dumb. look at the poster and tell me what you think.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 03:17

PalaisRoyale
Sticky Sweet Summer Tour
Madonna already did this....
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 6, 2015 04:08

I would have thought by now the Zip Code name would make sense, but it still does not. Who cares about the zip code of the stadium they play in being on a shirt? I bet less 1/1000 people live in the same zip code as any of the stadiums they are playing in on this tour. Area code would have made more sense, at least more people would have the same area code as the stadiums.

No, it is not about Sticky Fingers when they are only playing 2-3 songs off the album and those are the same songs they always play so that is not special to this tour. And people actually had to vote in a song off the album the other night, Bitch in Minny, not that I believe the song vote thing is democratic. Mick basically admitted it is fake when he said "if you believe that". No Mick we dont.

Licks was a fine name for a tour. Guitar Licks, 40 Licks the album, it made sense, but "Zip Code" makes no sense, yet. Maybe it will at some point. I trust in the genuis of Mick Jagger.

And I am not set list bitching, I like all of the songs they play, but they should not call this is the Sticky Zipper codification tour or whatever.

I will add that the racing striped tongues most cities are getting are boring. SD had a great tongue and Minny had a unique buck-tooth tongue, but most other cites getting boring racing stripes on the tongue. That is lame.

The racing stripes look great for Indy, but make no sense anywhere else.

Why not spend another 15 minutes in design time and put a Star on the Dallas tongue, a telecaster twangy something on the tongue in Nashville, a ketchup bottle or Steel the Pittsburgh tongue, cars or guns on the Detroit tongue, a Buffalo or chicken wings on the Buffalo tongue, anything but boring racing stripes.

I would even suggest allowing Charlotte Watts and her friend Ali do some design work on the tongues, they seem to enjoy doing Stones tongue art work.

But as it is If I buy a shirt on this tour it will be a classic red tongue, they can keep those boring racing stripes.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 6, 2015 04:20

mnewman505
PalaisRoyale
Sticky Sweet Summer Tour
Madonna already did this....
[en.wikipedia.org]

Sweet and sticky don't work without the hot....

peace

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 6, 2015 05:37

Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon were three great tour names all in a row. Everything else has been kinda "Meh." I like Zip Code better than A Bigger Bang, frankly.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: June 6, 2015 05:41

How about "The Shadow Man" tour!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 6, 2015 13:17

They should have named the tour for their upcoming album regardless of when it gets released...lol.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 6, 2015 16:13

I'm starting to understand the name now...I have to drive through 38 zip codes just to get there

I better get going

Date: June 6, 2015 17:57

Send It To me
Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon were three great tour names all in a row. Everything else has been kinda "Meh." I like Zip Code better than A Bigger Bang, frankly.

No Security had a good vibe about it too. just sayin

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 6, 2015 18:19

Munichhilton
I'm starting to understand the name now...I have to drive through 38 zip codes just to get there

I better get going

smileys with beer

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: June 6, 2015 21:02

Turner68
can we just agree this is the dumbest name/theme for a tour yet? or do we need to take a vote...

i was looking at the poster for the dallas show, thinking that it looking pretty slick for a bunch of grandparents playing guitars, until i saw "zip code" at the top. it's just silly/dumb/nonsensical?

Maybe the "Oh no not you again" tour?

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 6, 2015 21:09

Oh, oh, oh, I know... The "Roses On Our Grave" Tour! smileys with beer

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 6, 2015 22:51

It is the contents that matters. I would not care if the Stones changed name into "The Office Depot Band". It's still THE ROLLING STONES!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 6, 2015 22:53

The Bitch Tour

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 6, 2015 23:02

I think it ties in nicely with Sticky Fingers and the tour strategy...
More by Zip Code or zone, than by city.

Larger areas than just the cities, larger (but fewer) concerts...

Date: June 6, 2015 23:03

Come into the Zip Zone! We have cookies...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home