Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pyrotechnics
Posted by: HappyRambler ()
Date: July 25, 2005 13:14

Do you think the Stones will use ( and need ) pyrotechnics again on the new tour ?
I loved the flames with "Start me up" ( '89 / '90 ), I liked the snake-flame on Voodoo Lounge, and I think the "Big Bang" on BTB was great also.
On the Licks tour the flames on "SFTD" were fun.
I think it adds something to the show, and I hope they come up with something again like "Start me up".
I know Keith Richards said in the past that Pyrotechnics, and everything else but the music, is distracting people from the real show.
Do you agree ?

Re: Pyrotechnics
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 25, 2005 14:20

If keith believed all that, he'd play more small venues - the fact that they're ditching the original plan for some theatre shows in favour of playing more arenas and stadiums shows that if anything, the music is distracting them from counting their cash.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: July 25, 2005 14:28

They will be always some pyrotechnics in the stadiums for the oooohs and aaaahs. Perhaps we might even get some at Hollywood Bowl when little starlettes show they high heels on the first row..... and fans are suffering on teh back seats.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 25, 2005 14:38

Starting in 89 I noticed the sad fact that at every USA show I have been to since the pyros got by far the biggest crowd response of the night.

Date: July 25, 2005 15:27

Shouldn't we all boycot them than ?
If it's all about the money.
Let's be real, they don't really need that anymore.
Let's say Mick has about 20 years to live max from now ( and I'm very optimistic right now ) and Keith maybe 10 ( also very, very optimistic ), no matter what they do, they will never spent the money they've earned in those last years.
It must be the kick that keeps them rolling.
Don't forget expenses are much higher now then in earlier days.
I agree that ticket prices are sky-high, but I don't think the Stones themselves make them up.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 25, 2005 15:43

HappyRambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
they will never spent the money they've earned in those last years.

>

They have a lot of children and ex wifes !
winking smiley

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 25, 2005 16:29

With these prices, and I'm not complaining, the bigger the show the better. If you want a stripped down 78 tour show...well let's see some stripped down prices. None of that...we just want to concentrate on the music crap. The Rolling Stones are all about glitz and glam. I paid $18.50 to see Van Halen, The Doobie Brothers, and The Rolling Stones in 1978......stripped down show that was great........these days with these prices.......the production value of the show must be premium.

Date: July 25, 2005 16:47

If that's the only reason, we can expect a lot of Pyrotechnics this tour.
Let's see what they mean with "a bigger bang".
Flames on the stage, flames on the roof of the stadium, flames on the B-stage, flames on the empty seats ?
Must be a great beginning, especially in cold days.
At least you know where your money is going to.

Date: July 25, 2005 16:48

"Flames on the empty seats." Now that is funny as hell. Very good HR

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: July 25, 2005 17:07

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 25, 2005 17:09

Shawn20 Wrote:
> With these prices, and I'm not complaining, the
> bigger the show the better. If you want a
> stripped down 78 tour show...well let's see some
> stripped down prices. None of that...we just want
> to concentrate on the music crap. The Rolling
> Stones are all about glitz and glam. I paid
> $18.50 to see Van Halen, The Doobie Brothers, and
> The Rolling Stones in 1978......stripped down show
> that was great........these days with these
> prices.......the production value of the show must
> be premium.

No Security was 'stripped down' in every way from previous tours - smaller venues, minimal pyrotechnics, less crew, less overheads - yet the ticket prices were twice as high on average as on previous tours (some seats were 5 times more) - and that has been the norm since.

The production value of the show has no relevance to the prices the Stones charge. They were able to keep it affordable on every stadium tour up to 1998 even though the bridge that they used on the BTB was an extremely expensive piece of equipment to use (the bridge alone cost something like a million a WEEK to maintain and move around during the tour)

And they still made a fortune. they could make a bomb on this tour even if they charged $50 for every ticket

however, if youre doing a stadium show, yeah I agree that the band have to project themselves for those people without good seats

Date: July 25, 2005 17:15

Gazza, I was mainly talking about the stadium shows. I understood the price increase for NS, due to the fact it was the first arena tour since 1975. When you are in a stadium, they should do something to project it to the fans in the rear. In 78 I was down front....no problem, but many fans who saw the same show as I did complained of the bad sound.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 25, 2005 18:47

You may like them or not, but in Europe in 1996 and 1999/2000 KISS had the lowest ticket among the major acts touring in those years, and they were by far the ones using the most pyros.

Gunpowder doesen't cost much, but I hope they'll put money in sound equipment and in a great innovative stage design with perfect and huge screens for the ones far away behind.
Of course, some pyrotechnics are welcome

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 25, 2005 19:03

the visuals a pretty much a big yawn for me - I can always go to the movies if I want to be visually aroused. sometimes i do think the stones think they can get by on less impressive "audio" if they distract everyone with "visuals."

Date: July 25, 2005 19:25

Once again at these prices they should use the best of everything. The sound systems ( a pet peeve of mine) have not been that good.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 25, 2005 20:35

>> Shouldn't we all boycot them then ? <<
... how do you boycott pyrotechnics?
anyway, i always say: if the Stones want fireworks, let 'em have fireworks. :E

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 25, 2005 22:16

Is it true that pyrotechincs are not allowed at Soldier Field in Chicago...? I seem to remember they didnt use them for the openning two shows in 97...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 26, 2005 00:22

the 97 Soldier Field show i have on DVD has pyrotechnics! it even has them going off at the wrong time during JJF, right next to Keith, who is audibly startled - which is no doubt why he was then late for the final bow: he was busy beating the sh1t out of the hapless party who did that. :E
a whole bunch of technical stuff went wrong that night. Mick's face when the Brown Sugar confetti starts pouring down in the middle of the wrong song is priceless: no, you can't always get what you want, honey!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: July 26, 2005 00:59

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> Shouldn't we all boycot them then ?
> <<
> ... how do you boycott pyrotechnics?
> anyway, i always say: if the Stones want
> fireworks, let 'em have fireworks. :E

I don't mean the pyrotechnics, but the Stones-shows, to let them know that ticket prices are too high.
Only, I can't do that myself; I never forgive myself for missing a Stones-show on purpose.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 26, 2005 07:59

Forget boycotting Stones shows man... Lets all just get on ebay and start bidding millions of dollars on every Stones ticket being auctioned. How awesome would it be to have thousands upon thousands of tickets with exhorbitant fake bids. Would be a great way to irk the bastards.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: July 26, 2005 09:24

drake: do you love iron curtains???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home