Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Doors' drummer wins suit against current lineup
Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 25, 2005 21:29

According to a '71 agreement all 3 survivors have to sign off on use of the name. Densmore and Morrison's widow's (Pamela) parents & Morrison's parents filed a suit against the current lineup (w/ Ian Astbury of The Cult) to stop Doors of the 21st Century, & won. (The D's had been touring w/ Steppenwolf (or, John Kay who owns the name now) & Vanilla Fudge.

Re: OT: Doors' drummer wins suit against current lineup
Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 25, 2005 21:36

Sorry for lack of credit: that's from today's Billboard online digest, which is free btw

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: July 25, 2005 21:39

I'm confused. I know they are still touring this summer and are coming to Toronto. I thought that's why they stopped using "The Doors" and went to "The Doors of the 21st Century". I would imagine the lawsuit prevents them from using "The Doors". By the way, is Pamela still alive? All those parents must be pretty old. Why did Densmore shy away from his old mates.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 25, 2005 22:06

Pam died a few years after Jim. The new version of this band had a lot of balls because they were charging almost $100 a ticket at Roseland with a frontman trying to imitate Jim. I am a big Doors fan and wouldn't bother to see them. And havn't heard their new songs but I can't imagine them being any good.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 25, 2005 23:37

Sounds like a similar situation to Creedence Clearwater Revisited? I also recall legal hassles with Jefferson Airplane, who then changed their name to Jefferson Starship and then finally Starship.
There are actually quite a few bands from the 60's and 70's that reunite and tour with only one or two of the original members and still call themselves the original band name. I think Mike Love is the only member of the Beach Boys in the current version of the band and I think they had recent legal hassles because Al Jardine was also touring as The Beach Boys. Guess it would be like if Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman teamed up and called them selves The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 26, 2005 03:51

Yes, but Ray M. and Robbie Krieger were integral members of the Doors, and they should have been allowed to tour as 'The Doors of the 21st Century' (they're not touring as 'the Doors'). What boggles my mind is Ian Astbury. It would probably be in his best interests to reunite the Cult rather than to travel around with Ray and Robbie in a half-baked nostalgia outfit . . .

Posted by: mdb ()
Date: July 26, 2005 06:18

The original Doors drummer scored a permanent injunction Friday against two of his former cohorts in the legendary 1960s rock group--effectively shutting down their "new" version of the band, dubbed the Doors of the 21st Century.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Gregory Alarcon ruled a day earlier that keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger must cease using any form of the Doors moniker for future tours. It was a decisive victory for Densmore; in addition to shutting down the new incarnation of the Doors, the drummer will receive an equal share of all profits earned by the Doors of the 21st Century since they began touring in 2002. A portion will also go do the heirs of the band's late frontman, Jim Morrison.

"I'm very pleased that, in my opinion, the legacy is preserved," said Densmore. "I never intended for Ray and Robby to stop playing--they're great musicians. I hope Doors fans keep going to see them--it's just the name is owned by me and them and the estate of Jim Morrison, and they kind of ran off with stolen property."

he Doors of the 21st Century have a number of dates scheduled in Canada this month, including a weekend stop in Calgary. There was no immediate word on whether they would change their name prior to the gig to comply with Friday's ruling.

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: July 26, 2005 10:54

densmore says he hopes people stil go and see Ray and Robbie. why dones he just let them tour under the doors name and jsut ask for a cut of the dough. if he really wants people to go an see ray and robbie that would be the best way.

or the "doors of C21 not featuring densmore or morrison"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home