Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1975 or 1976 silent video - footage from the audience
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:06

Re: 1975 or 1976 silent video - footage from the audience
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:17

At a quick glance that looks like the Lotus stage. I could be wrong but I do not think they used the Lotus stage in Europe 76, At least all the videos I have seen. So I would guess 75 in the States. I am sure some IORR member can figure out what arena that is.

Also the house lights are on, during the 75 US tour they put the house lights on for the last two songs JJF & SFM at least when I saw them at the Boston Garden thats what they did. so I assume the video was captured during one of those.

Even with no sound I got the Goosebumps watching it.

Thanks Joker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 20:05 by virgil.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:10

During the European 76 tour there was a plateform over charlie and the amps, dancing area for mick and billy.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:20

I love those tours. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 19:20 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:24

Love that film. One of the best ever. Really cool.

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:44

It's 1975.

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:38

Really. Interesting. I like the Dad with his kid on his shoulders. That kid, now takes his kid to see the Stones.
They were pretty ragged shows in those days. The drunk, stoned fans that filled most halls didn't really care, they were just happy they showed up at all.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:41

Gfmsoccer
Really. Interesting. I like the Dad with his kid on his shoulders. That kid, now takes his kid to see the Stones.
They were pretty ragged shows in those days. The drunk, stoned fans that filled most halls didn't really care, they were just happy they showed up at all.

indeed. the first time i met someone who saw them on the 69 tour i was very excited to hear all their stories. they said they were tripping so hard on LSD they don't remember a thing about the concert. different times. luckily some of those shows were recorded.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:02

Definitely 75.

It's not NY, Boston, or L.A.

Red and white interior colors in the arena.
Eliminates a lot of potential venues.

Think predominantly red/white team colors for hockey or basketball teams.

I'm thinking Cap Center in Largo, MD, or even more probably Indianapolis University?

J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 01:08 by JMARKO.

Date: June 1, 2015 01:11

Gfmsoccer

I think that's some dude with his girlfriend on his shoulders.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:51

JMARKO
Definitely 75.

It's not NY, Boston, or L.A.

Red and white interior colors in the arena.
Eliminates a lot of potential venues.

Think predominantly red/white team colors for hockey or basketball teams.

I'm thinking Cap Center in Largo, MD, or even more probably Indianapolis University?

J

Ha, cool, but this is going to bug me until this venue is identified! A quick search of Capital Centre and IU Assembly Hall (Indiana University) interiors seems to indicate it's not either one of those. (Shape of railings, which appeared to be squared off in this venue. etc.) Not too many visual clues to work with here, but...maybe somebody can recognize!

EDIT: Jagger in, I think, the Aztec print pants and Keith in those black leather pants, Bill W. in red leather...we need a Harold Colson-type cross reference for the '75 tour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 03:53 by rocker1.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: June 1, 2015 03:40

1975 without a doubt.

Date: June 1, 2015 05:00

Yeah, this will bother me too.

Ok. Here's a list of the venues. Bold ones are possibilities in my opinion:

LSU Assembly Hall (colors wouldn't work)
San Antonio Convention Center
Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium(outdoor)
Milwaukee County Stadium (outdoor)
St. Paul Civic Center
Boston Garden (no yellow)
Cleveland Municipal Stadium(outdoor)
Buffalo Municipal Auditorium
Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens (I don't think it would be red/white - can check some footage later tonight)
Madison Square Garden (it's not MSG)
Philadelphia Spectrum (maybe, but I checked some Flyers footage and the building did not look the same)
Largo Capital Center
Memphis Memorial Stadium (outdoor)
Los Angeles Forum
San Francisco Cow Palace (I assume the Cow Palace was much bigger and less streamlined in design)
Seattle Washington Center Coliseum
Fort Collins Hughes Stadium (outdoor)
Chicago Stadium
Indiana University Assembly Center
Cobo Hall (I don't think it's Cobo, but haven't eliminated it. Red Wings played at Olympia)
Atlanta The Omni Coliseum (pretty sure it's not the Omni)
Greensboro War Memorial Coliseum
Jacksonville Gator Bowl (outdoor)
Louisville Freedon Hall Coliseum
Hampton Coliseum (pretty sure it's not)
Buffalo Rich Stadium (outdoor)

So, anyone can verify/eliminate any of these bolded venues??

J

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 1, 2015 05:55

There is a guy wearing a tee-shirt that has a Z 96.7 logo on the front at about :50 seconds. If anybody can recognize that or can spot some other logo, it might help determine the city.

Also, there are spots where you can see a red/orange wall, other spots where you can see red/orange seatbacks and yet another where you can see a flat-topped metal railing. All of those details may help identify the venue.

At about the 1:00 mark, you can see what appears to be a scoreboard and the white face of an upper balcony.

I don't know if it matters, but I also saw somebody wearing jean overalls with suspenders, plus he was sporting a very red neck haircut. Not your typical Stones fan in 1975. Could this have been in a location that had nearby farmland?

Date: June 1, 2015 06:11

5stringTele
There is a guy wearing a tee-shirt that has a Z 96.7 logo on the front at about :50 seconds. If anybody can recognize that or can spot some other logo, it might help determine the city.

I don't know if it matters, but I also saw somebody wearing jean overalls with suspenders, plus he was sporting a very red neck haircut. Not your typical Stones fan in 1975. Could this have been in a location that had nearby farmland?

That Z 96.7 find should stir something up.

As for the overalls, there are at least two people wearing those. There's a short haired woman wearing them during the footage of the curly-haired guy dancing near the squared railings - she's in the foreground in the white blouse. Just a fashion of the times I think.

I am amazed at the amount of people in long-sleeved shirts considering all of the shows are in the summer and it must have been 1000 degrees inside your average arena - not to mention most of it was polyester!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 1, 2015 06:28

JMARKO
Gfmsoccer

I think that's some dude with his girlfriend on his shoulders.

You mean the couple that didn't give a crap if anyone behind them could see anything? Same with the long haired jerk at the end.

Did you notice the old lady just sitting there bored looking. I wonder if she brought a grandchild or something.

At the 1 minute mark it looks like someone might be wearing a jacket with a team logo on it. Can't make it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 06:37 by stanlove.

Date: June 1, 2015 06:40

JMARKO
5stringTele

That Z 96.7 find should stir something up.

As for the overalls, there are at least two people wearing those. There's a short haired woman wearing them during the footage of the curly-haired guy dancing near the squared railings - she's in the foreground in the white blouse. Just a fashion of the times I think.

I am amazed at the amount of people in long-sleeved shirts considering all of the shows are in the summer and it must have been 1000 degrees inside your average arena - not to mention most of it was polyester!

Wow, you've got better eyes than I do to make out Z 96.7 on that shirt! But if that's it, perhaps it's this:

Old Radio station in Columbia, SC

Wikipedia article showing history of 96.7 FM

IF this is the station portrayed on that shirt (not sure I'd bank on it but maybe a chance?) then this puts us in South Carolina territory perhaps.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 1, 2015 08:07

JMARKO
Yeah, this will bother me too.

Ok. Here's a list of the venues. Bold ones are possibilities in my opinion:

LSU Assembly Hall (colors wouldn't work)
San Antonio Convention Center
Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium(outdoor)
Milwaukee County Stadium (outdoor)
St. Paul Civic Center
Boston Garden (no yellow)
Cleveland Municipal Stadium(outdoor)
Buffalo Municipal Auditorium
Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens (I don't think it would be red/white - can check some footage later tonight)
Madison Square Garden (it's not MSG)
Philadelphia Spectrum (maybe, but I checked some Flyers footage and the building did not look the same)
Largo Capital Center
Memphis Memorial Stadium (outdoor)
Los Angeles Forum
San Francisco Cow Palace (I assume the Cow Palace was much bigger and less streamlined in design)
Seattle Washington Center Coliseum
Fort Collins Hughes Stadium (outdoor)
Chicago Stadium
Indiana University Assembly Center
Cobo Hall (I don't think it's Cobo, but haven't eliminated it. Red Wings played at Olympia)
Atlanta The Omni Coliseum (pretty sure it's not the Omni)
Greensboro War Memorial Coliseum
Jacksonville Gator Bowl (outdoor)
Louisville Freedon Hall Coliseum
Hampton Coliseum (pretty sure it's not)
Buffalo Rich Stadium (outdoor)

So, anyone can verify/eliminate any of these bolded venues??

J
Not sure what this is a list of (1975/76 tour stops, I presume), but I can absolutely, positively eliminate the old Chicago Stadium. I attended many concerts there in the '70s and took many pictures.

The Z 96.7 logo I mentioned in the previous post consists of what appears to be a large Z on the left, and a smaller 96 over a 7. If the post suggesting the Cayce, SC station fits, then Greensboro, NC would be the likeliest candidate (although Atlanta isn't that far away, either). Of course, for all we know, the guy in the tee might have been from out of town or home from college, but it may be a lead worth pursuing.

Somebody should be able to confirm or bust the Greensboro possibility by compairing things like the seats, railings or stairs to their own memories or pictures from the venue.

I know it's a long shot, but this is how you identify old photos. Look for details, see if they match anything and build a case.

Date: June 1, 2015 08:20

5stringTele

Somebody should be able to confirm or bust the Greensboro possibility by compairing things like the seats, railings or stairs to their own memories or pictures from the venue.

I know it's a long shot, but this is how you identify old photos. Look for details, see if they match anything and build a case.

Don't think it's Greensboro. Mick wore rolled up jeans that night with multi-colored socks, and Ronnie had dark colored leather pants for that show. Very different than what is depicted in the video clip.

See photo caption at bottom of this page

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: June 1, 2015 10:25

At Earlts court it was the lotus stage

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 12:02

Has anybody tried asking the guy who posted it? This Michael Cumella?

Date: June 1, 2015 17:47

NoCode0680

Yes, I did. His reply was that it was stock footage that he transferred from a client's home films. As he is from NYC, he assumed it was Madison Square Garden, but didn't know for sure.

I think there was doubt that this is MSG, right?

Date: June 2, 2015 00:09

rocker1
NoCode0680

Yes, I did. His reply was that it was stock footage that he transferred from a client's home films. As he is from NYC, he assumed it was Madison Square Garden, but didn't know for sure.

I think there was doubt that this is MSG, right?

I didn't think it looked like MSG at all. I'm checking with someone who would have a better opinion.

J

Date: June 2, 2015 02:09

As it turns out, my friend says MSG did/does have red/orange seats.

However, he did say it looked like security was a bit more lax than it usually was at MSG.

Kind of let down that this mystery may be solved already, and with such a common result.

J

Date: June 2, 2015 02:59

JMARKO
As it turns out, my friend says MSG did/does have red/orange seats.

However, he did say it looked like security was a bit more lax than it usually was at MSG.

Kind of let down that this mystery may be solved already, and with such a common result.

J

Oh no no no, not solved, as we're far from done even if this is in fact MSG!! (I'm not 100% on this yet given the lack of a sure marker that nails it as MSG beyond all doubt.)

But regardless, there is work to be done here: they played 6 consecutive nights at MSG on this tour! Which night is this?? [22 June through 27 June are the dates they played MSG]

From the video, it appears that Mick had the Aztec print pants, Keith the black leather pants with white top, Bill was in red leather, and Ronnie looks to be in predominantly white...

Date: June 2, 2015 03:10

IF this is MSG, that would mean that this version of the stage had the hydraulics that allowed the petals to unfold during the opening of the show. I believe this unfolding stage was only used in NY, LA, and Chicago. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.) All other shows used a stage that looked virtually the same, but did not unfold at the beginning of the show.

Question 1: is there a visual marker--perhaps on the edges of the stage--that differentiates the hydraulic stage vs. the "regular" stage? (And if so, can it be seen here?)

Question 2: which cities actually did employ the hydraulic stage that had the unfolding lotus petals?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 2, 2015 03:12

The Joker

Love it!!!

Date: June 2, 2015 03:30

From about :18 to :26, in the lower right, there is a man that is wearing a red sport coat, tie (I think), and black pants. Seems like this could be an usher. Did MSG ushers wear such attire circa 1975?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 2, 2015 03:32

rocker1
From about :18 to :26, in the lower right, there is a man that is wearing a red sport coat, tie (I think), and black pants. Seems like this could be an usher. Did MSG ushers wear such attire circa 1975?

Where do you think bv got the idea from?

peace

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 2, 2015 04:01

AntoineParis
At Earlts court it was the lotus stage

I can't speak about London fashion in 1976, But I can about USA fashion from 75. This video reeks of USA clothing from that era. Farmer jeans were big back then for male and female and you see examples of each in the video. ( for the record I never wore Farmer jeans in my life and Im proud of it).

Also someone mentioned Long sleeved button down shirts another trademark from that era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-03 03:33 by virgil.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home