Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
JJF studio intro .....in concert?
Posted by: Tops ()
Date: May 30, 2015 23:36

Probobly my all time favourite intro. Always missed it in the live versions.

Never been a big fan of the 89-liveversion of the song. But for the concets the intro was there....it was great ....i miss it and don't understand why they decided to leave it out. Too tricky to play?

Here. Pittsburgh sep 6th 1989

[www.youtube.com]

At 2.16.19 (last song)

Re: JJF studio intro .....in concert?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 31, 2015 00:19

Not as powerful and effective live as just hitting 'em with the main riff is my guess. It's a good question though! Certainly not too tricky to play.

peace

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 00:36

Naturalust
Not as powerful and effective live as just hitting 'em with the main riff is my guess. It's a good question though! Certainly not too tricky to play.

peace

agreed. it's all about impact. keith wants to see the crowd explode when he starts a warhorse. why else play a warhorse? if he played the intro, half the crowd would be confused.

Posted by: fender99 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 00:53

I love the record opening intro. An open E.
It's so familiar, seems like a great riff to open show or encore with.

Date: May 31, 2015 01:18

They did it once. Can't remember if it was 1994 or 1997. Warm up-show. The video is no longer on Youtube..

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 01:21

That is cool unearthing the Pittsburg JJF. I don't think I had heard that version. The intro is cool. Seems like most folks didn't recognize it. . . of course. Good find.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 31, 2015 01:38

Having heard the Pittsburg version now I understand why they don't do it that way. While it stays true to the original,
there ain't no punch in it and not only the crowd, also the band themselves seem confused.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 31, 2015 01:40

DandelionPowderman
They did it once. Can't remember if it was 1994 or 1997. Warm up-show. The video is no longer on Youtube..

It must have been at the 1994 warm-up if so. The Double Door warm-up had the usual intro.
I know there is an incomplete pro-shot circulating from the 1994 warm up gig, I have seen parts of it... Would love the find it again.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 31, 2015 01:42

It's very effective both ways. I prefer the original. This works:

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 31, 2015 01:59

A few decades ago they explained that the studio-version intro sounds too similar to the start of Street Fighting Man
to use it in concert. They tried it a few times, noted that the audience were confused, and gave it up, bless 'em

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 31, 2015 02:11

with sssoul
A few decades ago they explained that the studio-version intro sounds too similar to the start of Street Fighting Man
to use it in concert. They tried it a few times, noted that the audience were confused, and gave it up, bless 'em

I was confused when I first heard the Street Fighting Man intro because JJF came first. But then again, I felt the same way when I heard the piano intro to Let's Spend The Night Together (Satisfaction?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 02:11 by bleedingman.

Date: May 31, 2015 02:16

None of those four songs have even remotely similar intros smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2015 02:25

DandelionPowderman
None of those four songs have even remotely similar intros smiling smiley

Really, Dande dear? You don't hear any similarity between the intro to the studio version of JJF and SFM?
I do, and the Stones' explanation makes sense to me.

They don't often play I'm Free and Mercy Mercy in the same show either. Which is barely related to the topic, but true.

Date: May 31, 2015 02:41

I hear similarities between One More Shot and SFM, but not JJF.

Different rhythms, different effects from the use of the instruments and a different number of chords.

However, the darkness and the feel of those intros are somewhat related.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 31, 2015 03:33

Think the similarity between JJF and SFM is just that one single crashing chord at the start of each one.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 03:43

Tops
Probobly my all time favourite intro. Always missed it in the live versions.

Never been a big fan of the 89-liveversion of the song. But for the concets the intro was there....it was great ....i miss it and don't understand why they decided to leave it out. Too tricky to play?

Here. Pittsburgh sep 6th 1989

[www.youtube.com]

At 2.16.19 (last song)[/quote

That was my first Stones show!

Date: May 31, 2015 12:00

DandelionPowderman
Different rhythms, different effects from the use of the instruments and a different number of chords.

One More Shot seems to be almost quoting SFM, I agree.
But the dark "droney" intro to the studio version of JJF is close enough to the dark "droney" SFM intro
to confuse a concert audience, who are excited and easily confused. :E
In any case that's the reason the Stones have given about why they don't play that JJF intro in concert.
And if they did play it that way after all these decades you just know who would get blamed
for messing up, starting the wrong song and getting a garment stuck in the fretboard at the same time :E

Date: May 31, 2015 12:08

I think the real reason is that it just isn't possible to get down to the dark E with open G-tuning. And the riff isn't as fun to play without a capo in open E.

Date: May 31, 2015 12:28

What you're saying sounds right too, Dande.
But (to paraphrase Galileo) the audience is confused nonetheless! :E

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:31

Geez... Audience confused, hangers on maybe but surely not us Stones aficionados. Come on lads let's hear the original intro cranked out again!

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:33

bleedingman

I absolutely love this video. Does anyone have any more info behind the recording of this version of JJF for this promo?

Date: May 31, 2015 15:11

"Hangers on"? I think you mean "tourists" - let's keep our disdainful expressions straight :E

Either way ... ahhh forget it.

I love the Rolling Stones.

Date: May 31, 2015 15:22

mikesnaps
I absolutely love this video. Does anyone have any more info behind the recording of this version of JJF for this promo?

Sure: the good nzentgraf has this to say:

27th April 1968: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns. Recording of a playback for the promovideo.
- Jumping Jack Flash VI (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, Jimmy Miller on backing vocals; promofilm 1-version

28th April: London, shooting of a promo film. Director: Michael Lindsay Hogg.
- Jumping Jack Flash 1 (MJ/KR) -miming to specially recorded version VI

11th May: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Shooting of a promofilm.
Director: Michael Lindsay-Hogg.
- Jumping Jack Flash 2 (MJ/KR) -miming to recorded version III
Note: The promos for Child Of The Moon and Jumping Jack Flash 2 (the famous version with the painted faces)
were recorded both on the same day about two weeks after Jumping Jack Flash 1 was filmed.
This promo 2 was shown on Top Of The Pops on the 23rd May, 6th June and 25th December.
Either on foreign and/or later airings the soundtrack of the promofilm was changed to the 7" single-version.

The version posted here sounds a bit fast, doesn't it?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:12

DandelionPowderman

They also rarely play One More Shot and You Shook Me All Night Long together in the same concert which IMHO is quite telling.

Date: May 31, 2015 16:19

bleedingman

Stunning...a band in transition. This is the LSTNT Mick metamorphosing to BIG FOUR ALBUM Mick. An amazing time capsule.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:31

with sssoul
"Hangers on"? I think you mean "tourists" - let's keep our disdainful expressions straight :E

tee hee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 17:34 by CloudCat.

Date: May 31, 2015 18:30

treaclefingers
They also rarely play One More Shot and You Shook Me All Night Long together in the same concert which IMHO is quite telling.

Ah but treaclefing dear, what makes the observation about Mercy Mercy and I'm Free interesting and apropos
is that much as they prefer not to, they have played those two during the same show -
I believe that only happened once, and rightly so, because they were playing with fire. (Not literally.)

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:35

For me this video is the absolute top of The Rolling Stones. If this doesn't make you rock your ass off might as well forget it.

Date: June 1, 2015 05:48

with sssoul
treaclefingers

Ah but treaclefing dear, what makes the observation about Mercy Mercy and I'm Free interesting and apropos
is that much as they prefer not to, they have played those two during the same show -
I believe that only happened once, and rightly so, because they were playing with fire. (Not literally.)

it's treaclefingERS!...and besides that you're confusing the hell out of me!

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 1, 2015 06:45

schillid
Think the similarity between JJF and SFM is just that one single crashing chord at the start of each one.

I just listened to the Pittsburgh '89 version. Keith doesn't play that three chord opening (B E A), as near as I can tell, but goes straight into the opening part that also closes the studio version, the part with the fat descending bass line. The way they tried it, it does sound like SFM, that B to E thing.
If they really tried to do it right, yes it would take away that in your face opening we have come to love, but I think it was originally done on acoustic. Mick could play the B E A opening, and the band could come in where they should. It would be sloppy but interesting.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home