Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 33
Re: Columbus OH USA 30-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:03

StonedRambler
Love the Gimme Shelter intro! They played it almost like the studio Version!

You had me hopeful but...while better than the 2013 for that part Keith's playing still "meanders" at times, his solo at 4'43" (Ironchef recording) is completely "off", can only how much it must annoy Mick to hear that in his IEM...

Is it me of is "Hang on Sloopy" the "inspiration" for "Get Off Of My Cloud" ?! Seems confirmed by the fact that they played it as the intro to that song in 1966 (see quote from Nico's site above).

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:03

Plink
Debbie rocks!!thumbs up I wish for her sake she had better seats - she deserves them!

We did go to Ticket Services with our Lucky Dips For an upgrade, the woman offered us seats two sections over. We kept what we had and we're glad we did, the people in the section offered as an upgrade weren't as crazy about the sound. The sound was phenomenal - straight back from the stage. Loud and guitar heavy, my only complaint would be the backing vocals were occasionally washed out.

I'm glad all of you enjoyed the live stream. I apologize for the shakiness, sometimes it's impossible to stand still.

Debbie
Tiger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 16:38 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:04

onlystones
Finally, I think you are safe now. Don't do it again.

I am glad you were able to have a great Stones experience.

I wish I was in college again. It was a blast. Enjoy every minute of it.

Come on pal, you know the drill............Yearbook...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 16:05 by EddieByword.

Date: May 31, 2015 16:10

waterrats
Leonioid
Plink
Come on people, STAND UP - It's f*ckin SYMPATHY!!! - Guy With Debbie Tiger
That guy is RIGHT and Debbie Tiger rocks! THANKS DT!!

Yes Debbie! Love your batteries! ggg

Me too. I saw less dropping out - at least I figured the signal dropped when I went from 100 plus viewers to 0 - when I connected the battery pack. I love Monoprice. In Pittsburgh, I connect the battery right away.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:13

EddieByword
onlystones

Hilarious.
Thanks for the levity.

This place is a trip. I am not sure if I love it or hate it.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:16

brokecollegestudent

If you do a quote you'll find which bits of the address are essential...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:19

GlimmerGirl24
Plink
Debbie rocks!!thumbs up I wish for her sake she had better seats - she deserves them!

We did go to Ticket Services with our Lucky Dips God an upgrade, the woman offered us seats two sections over. We kept what we had and we're glad we did, the people in that section weren't as crazy about the sound. The sound was phenomenal there - straight back from the stage. Loud and guitar heavy, my only complaint would be the backing vocals were occasionally washed out.

I'm glad all of you enjoyed the live stream. I apologize for the shakiness, sometimes it's impossible to stand still.

Debbie
Tiger

I was thinking last night how cool it was that somebody was generous enough do this...I know I wouldn't have been able to stand still at all or keep quiet. Hope it didn't take away from the concert experience for you. We love you, we really do! smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2015 16:36

The Stones
The Worst.
As long as those inside the stadium, the crowd present at the actual show,
are satisfied, that is all that matters.

That makes perfect sense to me. The average fan would probably be more than satisfied with that setlist. With that being said, we who are obsessed with the band will most certainly never be happy with pretty much whatever setlist our boys would play. The fact is that The Rolling Stones wants to entertain the masses so expect more of the same setlists during this tour.

Those who aren't happy with the song selection should have tried to catch them at the tour start in LA/San Diego. They usually play rare songs and longer setlists at tour openings and the fact that there was rumours about club gigs would have been enough reason to spend extra time in the area for the possibility of getting access to those smaller venues. Just my two cents.

Sitting outside of the Hampton Inn last night with eight or nine average casual fans, they had complaints about the Setlist. Some had seen the Stones three or four times, for some it was the first time, a couple of others try to see them once or twice every tour. A couple of the women were unhappy that the Stones didn't play Angie. Two of the men were happy they played Wild Horses. One guy in his mid-60's wanted to hear Anybody Seen My Baby - he'd never seen the Stones before. Another woman was upset that they didn't play Satisfaction - I'm not sure if she left early or just didn't recognize the final encore. But even if she left a couple of songs before the encore - she should have heard it walking away from the stadium. A few were thrilled to hear Paint it, Black. A couple wished Keith would play something off his solo albums. Another wanted something from Voodoo included in the Setlist. And one woman said she wasn't familiar with the Sticky Fingers album - she'd never heard of it until someone described the cover, then she remembered it. She wanted more off of Tattoo You. Mick underestimates the casual fan.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:44

onlystones
EddieByword
onlystones

Hilarious.
Thanks for the levity.

This place is a trip. I am not sure if I love it or hate it.

Well, you might have got (or still get) an easier ride if you had done as brokecollegestudent has done and posted a few momentoes of your adventures especially as the Belly up club show was such a big deal here..........but there you go, que sera, we'll never know...........

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:52

GlimmerGirl24
The Stones
The Worst.

That makes perfect sense to me. The average fan would probably be more than satisfied with that setlist. With that being said, we who are obsessed with the band will most certainly never be happy with pretty much whatever setlist our boys would play. The fact is that The Rolling Stones wants to entertain the masses so expect more of the same setlists during this tour.

Those who aren't happy with the song selection should have tried to catch them at the tour start in LA/San Diego. They usually play rare songs and longer setlists at tour openings and the fact that there was rumours about club gigs would have been enough reason to spend extra time in the area for the possibility of getting access to those smaller venues. Just my two cents.

Sitting outside of the Hampton Inn last night with eight or nine average casual fans, they had complaints about the Setlist. Some had seen the Stones three or four times, for some it was the first time, a couple of others try to see them once or twice every tour. A couple of the women were unhappy that the Stones didn't play Angie. Two of the men were happy they played Wild Horses. One guy in his mid-60's wanted to hear Anybody Seen My Baby - he'd never seen the Stones before. Another woman was upset that they didn't play Satisfaction - I'm not sure if she left early or just didn't recognize the final encore. But even if she left a couple of songs before the encore - she should have heard it walking away from the stadium. A few were thrilled to hear Paint it, Black. A couple wished Keith would play something off his solo albums. Another wanted something from Voodoo included in the Setlist. And one woman said she wasn't familiar with the Sticky Fingers album - she'd never heard of it until someone described the cover, then she remembered it. She wanted more off of Tattoo You. Mick underestimates the casual fan.

it would be cool if they played something off talk is cheap. but weird.

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:56

Out with OnlyStones. In with DebbieTiger.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:57

GlimmerGirl24
The Stones
The Worst.

Absolutely! It seems to me with their long history/extensive legacy, they have no chance of even meeting every casual fan's exact expectations or wishes, but to your point, they could easily perform any tier 1, 2, 3, 4 mix of nearly any assortment of one time hits or deep cuts played on the radio at one point or another, and simultaneously cut back "must play" warhorses down to maybe 4 songs, and they'd do fine - or just as well anyway.

Posted by: mjl7951 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:57

Does anyone know how/ where I can get one of the black Stones/Ohio State shirts that many people seemed to have at the show? I did not see any for sale outside afterward. Much appreciatedsmiling smiley

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:05

GS1978
Cristiano Radtke
Hang On Sloopy - WUT?????

[www.ohiohistorycentral.org]

In 1985, the Ohio General Assembly approved "Hang on Sloopy" as Ohio's official rock song. The Ohio General Assembly adopted an official rock song after Joe Dirck, a columnist for the Columbus Citizen-Journal, wrote a column about the State of Washington considering the adoption of its own rock song. The Ohio General Assembly responded by making "Hang on Sloopy" Ohio's rock song. Ohio is the only state to have an official rock song.

Bert Berns and Wes Farrell co-wrote the song, and "Hang on Sloopy" became a major hit for the band The McCoys in 1965. The McCoys were originally from Dayton, Ohio. The song was about Dorothy Sloop of Steubenville, Ohio. A singer, Sloop sometimes used the stage name Sloopy.

Doesn't Oklahoma have a state rock song? DO YOU REALIZE by The Flaming Lipps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 17:05 by virgil.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:10

Yes, Mick underestimates the casual fan, if that were the real reason, which it is not.

The reason they don't mix it up is because they can't . . . they would have to rehearse much much longer to get to the point where they could perform other numbers creditably at this point. They're not a working band, they get together to work up the usual setlist to go on tour and don't want to put in the time it would take to do more. Why should they, the tickets sell anyway, they make their money.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:19

Rokyfan
Yes, Mick underestimates the casual fan, if that were the real reason, which it is not.

The reason they don't mix it up is because they can't . . . they would have to rehearse much much longer to get to the point where they could perform other numbers creditably at this point. They're not a working band, they get together to work up the usual setlist to go on tour and don't want to put in the time it would take to do more. Why should they, the tickets sell anyway, they make their money.

They played the whole Sticky Fingers set at Fonda, people said it was fantastic. Why not keep platying the whole record for the whole tour? It would not require more rehearsals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 17:21 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:22

Because maybe it was fantastic because it was in a club, where it requires a lot less to blow the minds of the patrons. Let's hear the tape (which we won't).

Posted by: carlosrr ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:24

I might have missed it as we were in the cheap seats, but did Jagger omit the line in Miss You about Puerto Rican girls?

"Support International Tourism,
Visit Matamoros, Mexico"

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:25

the ohio state shirt is a bootleg. ended up getting one for $10 bucks. unfortunately it has kid rock listed as a special guest in the lower right corner. gonna have to scrape that off.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:27

GlimmerGirl24
Debbie
Tiger

GlimmerGirl24, you rock.
I was in the wrong time zone to watch your live streaming but I see you did an absolutely gallant job;
and I still value your lessons in ticket buying (back in 2005) very highly indeed.
What shows are you going to next?

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:34

carlosrr
I might have missed it as we were in the cheap seats, but did Jagger omit the line in Miss You about Puerto Rican girls?

nah, he sang it -- maybe the jewelry rattlers in the front drowned it out for you

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:37

Some of my pics from last night

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()

sundevil
the ohio state shirt is a bootleg. ended up getting one for $10 bucks. unfortunately it has kid rock listed as a special guest in the lower right corner. gonna have to scrape that off.

!!!

So glad they didn't invite him out to do a number with the band..
A quote from "KId"..
Opening the night was Kid Rock, a Michigan country-rocker 28 years Jagger’s junior, who in his age-acceptance anthem Forty took a far-too-easy jab at the timeless headliners (“Bruce Springsteen is 62 / And the Stones are almost dead.”)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 17:39 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()

Do you also think they played a bit too loosely?
From what I heard on the full audio recording..
Espencially Keith - I think for Mick it's even good that he seems to take the concerts now a bit cooler, joking around, improvise lyrics..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 17:46 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:38

Rokyfan

Yep, The same reason applies for not adding MTaylor. Its alot more effort/band practice required to get (as) comfy (as a 2 gtr band), create and find the space, when to drop in/out, when to push it, what to push it with with an additional player - alot more than havin a dif/guest player jump on a tune.

In all fairness its amazing they're still playing and playing to a high level, albeit with a standard set, 90/105 minsish long.

I just wish for more having seen flashes of it (with Taylor playing) for the last few years, where they're all smoking and oozing real quality swagger both musically & performance wise.

Having said that, with Sticky Fingers looking like they've worked on it as a band, its even more crazy that Taylor wasn't included in the rehersals when they're gettin these songs together to play live. It was probly one of the few times recentgly that they've had to learn/brush up. so having taylor there at that point wouldnt have added more rehersal/gelling time as he'd have been there from the start of rehersals

Anyhow, it is what it is and its good to see they're still playing and playing well

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:39

Great pics Neil, as usual! What's going on with Keiths lips in this one? Freaks me out a bit.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:53

Captainchaos
Rokyfan

Yep, The same reason applies for not adding MTaylor. Its alot more effort/band practice required to get (as) comfy (as a 2 gtr band), create and find the space, when to drop in/out, when to push it, what to push it with with an additional player - alot more than havin a dif/guest player jump on a tune.

In all fairness its amazing they're still playing and playing to a high level, albeit with a standard set, 90/105 minsish long.

I just wish for more having seen flashes of it (with Taylor playing) for the last few years, where they're all smoking and oozing real quality swagger both musically & performance wise.

Having said that, with Sticky Fingers looking like they've worked on it as a band, its even more crazy that Taylor wasn't included in the rehersals when they're gettin these songs together to play live. It was probly one of the few times recentgly that they've had to learn/brush up. so having taylor there at that point wouldnt have added more rehersal/gelling time as he'd have been there from the start of rehersals

Anyhow, it is what it is and its good to see they're still playing and playing well

someone i know saw a mccartney concert the other night and about halfway into the show mick taylor came in and sat down in the audience.

they said it was amazing to see how everything changed with Mick Taylor just being at the concert, even if it was just in the audience. the moon shone brighter, the stars twinkled more, the quality of the sound system got better, *everyone's* playing was elevated, mccartney's voice sounded 20 years younger. it was incredible. taylor stayed for a few songs, then got up and started whispering to people that mccartney played "good party music" and left and everything went back to normal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 17:58 by Turner68.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:57

Irix

Now I know where that came from. The 1966 show in Buffalo. Maybe it's a warm-up for Buffalo finale:

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:57

Did they tame Lisa down during Gimme Shelter last night?

I figured after what happened in San Diego someone might be kind enough to let her know it was a Rolling Stones show and they weren't ever going to be her backup band. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:03

Nikkei
The caption should read "this is what we think of you suckers!"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home