Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alternate Dead Flowers
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 27, 2015 12:10

The alternate Dead Flowers. It does not sound like a studio outtake to me, but a live version with added studio banter.

[mashable.com]

Mathijs

Re: Alternate Dead Flowers
Date: May 27, 2015 12:25

It sounds like a live version indeed.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 27, 2015 12:44

Live in studio or live in concert with muted audience??
This ''alternate version'' blows away the sluggish Marquee performance of Dead Flowers.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 27, 2015 12:46

The "new" version from the upcoming DVD:

The one we've known all these years:

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 12:51 by Deltics.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 27, 2015 12:53

What do you mean for "live"?

Sounds a mish mash of takes to me.

My guess is that the first guitar on the left could be Keith, then enters MT on the right (playing circa the same fills he plays at the Marquee).

The first solo (on the left) sounds MT to me, with the guitar on the right I'd say Keith (different pattern than the first bit, similar guitar playing than Stray Cat Ya Ya version).

What puzzles me is that the tone of the right channel is quite uniform.

C

Date: May 27, 2015 13:05

liddas
What do you mean for "live"?

Sounds a mish mash of takes to me.

My guess is that the first guitar on the left could be Keith, then enters MT on the right (playing circa the same fills he plays at the Marquee).

The first solo (on the left) sounds MT to me, with the guitar on the right I'd say Keith (different pattern than the first bit, similar guitar playing than Stray Cat Ya Ya version).

What puzzles me is that the tone of the right channel is quite uniform.

C

The left one is Keith, the right one is Taylor. Left of centre is Taylor's overdub guitar.

If you compare with live versions you'll find that the start is similar here (merely strumming the intro, without any melody, unlike the melodic start of the studio version).

The guitars sound like they're recorded live, and they're out of tune as well. The rest of the band also sound like it's captured on a live recording, save Taylor's overdub which sounds like (audio-wise) the one on the studio recording.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 14:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 27, 2015 14:11

It also could be a rehearsal take, recorded during 1970 or 1971 tour rehearsals. Taylor is playing the Gibso ES-355 with the out-of-phase setting. He has not used that guitar live on stage with the Stones.

Mathijs

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 27, 2015 14:14

I like it. After a few more listens, I am sure I will like it even more. Right now I have been digging DF from L and G '72 and Brixton '95.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 27, 2015 14:18

Far more prominent guitar work on the alternate release. Seems they've modelled their live performances on this take.

The sweet acoustic version on Sticky Fingers was the right release choice. What a gorgeous track smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 14:18 by muffie.

Date: May 27, 2015 14:28

muffie
Far more prominent guitar work on the alternate release. Seems they've modelled their live performances on this take.

The sweet acoustic version on Sticky Fingers was the right release choice. What a gorgeous track smiling smiley

With three electric guitars. Just had to add that winking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2015 14:35

The lead guitar and solo are Taylor for sure.

Date: May 27, 2015 14:36

kleermaker
The lead guitar and solo are Taylor for sure.

Of course.

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 14:41

For me it's a live version of the 1971 tour, perhaps The Roundhouse show ??

Date: May 27, 2015 14:43

keith56
For me it's a live version of the 1971 tour, perhaps The Roundhouse show ??

The solo guitar is a studio overdub.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 27, 2015 14:57

It is a studio version. I like it a lot

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 27, 2015 15:02

Great!

Nice Balance/mix on first listen

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: May 27, 2015 15:02

Most important this take is completely new to our ears!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 27, 2015 15:12

Mathijs
It also could be a rehearsal take, recorded during 1970 or 1971 tour rehearsals. Taylor is playing the Gibso ES-355 with the out-of-phase setting. He has not used that guitar live on stage with the Stones.

Mathijs

Do you think that's the same guitar/setting he played on All Down The Line on Exile? Sounds like it to me.

Date: May 27, 2015 15:14

Quite an enjoyable but not fantastic version of Dead Flowers. Pretty rough and straight without much finesse. I suppose most of these outtakes show that the Stones picked and worked hard on the right songs and takes for the album versions back in the days. Many of the outtakes sound unfinished and sloppy. That's why I'm longing for more great live releases from this period.

Date: May 27, 2015 15:35

LieB
Mathijs

Mathijs

Do you think that's the same guitar/setting he played on All Down The Line on Exile? Sounds like it to me.

That guitar is all over Exile, including ADTL.

Strange version thougg of Dead Flowers. It does sound like it is in the studio, but they play it like they did on the 1971 tour. Weird.

Mathijs

Date: May 27, 2015 15:39

Mathijs
LieB
Mathijs

Mathijs

That guitar is all over Exile, including ADTL.

Strange version thougg of Dead Flowers. It does sound like it is in the studio, but they play it like they did on the 1971 tour. Weird.

Mathijs

Might be a recording of the tour rehearsals. But why bother to overdub it?

Date: May 27, 2015 16:13

Ya'll sure it's an overdub?

Maybe we'll get some answers in the album sleevenotes, but probably not, if it's going to be the same as Exile and Some Girls.

It's all good fun with all this discussing and speculating, but I also wish they could do it properly like the Beatles did with Anthology and just give us all the correct information -- if they even have it -- in the cd booklets.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2015 17:08

kevinkamphuis

Yep, and it's nice that it has traits of a studio version as well as of a live rehearsal version. Anyway, I like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 17:13 by kleermaker.

Date: May 27, 2015 17:13

LieB
Ya'll sure it's an overdub?

Maybe we'll get some answers in the album sleevenotes, but probably not, if it's going to be the same as Exile and Some Girls.

It's all good fun with all this discussing and speculating, but I also wish they could do it properly like the Beatles did with Anthology and just give us all the correct information -- if they even have it -- in the cd booklets.

There are three guitars. Two of them are obviously Taylor (right channel and center/left).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 27, 2015 17:58

DandelionPowderman
There are three guitars. Two of them are obviously Taylor (right channel and center/left).

After a second listen I have to agree with you: right channel is always Taylor. Based on the first chords Keith plays, I understand why he was buried in the mix!

C

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 27, 2015 20:43

LieB
Quite an enjoyable but not fantastic version of Dead Flowers. Pretty rough and straight without much finesse. I suppose most of these outtakes show that the Stones picked and worked hard on the right songs and takes for the album versions back in the days. Many of the outtakes sound unfinished and sloppy. That's why I'm longing for more great live releases from this period.

That's about it for me. I'd rather hear a true live recording that this one which was obviously overdubbed. The released version is way better, your description of lack of finesse is spot on. It's cool because it's new but it's far from exciting.

peace

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:07

kevinkamphuis

Indeed, and very unexpected. I've enjoyed a lot!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:39

Mathijs

Mathijs

Your probably right for me it sounds like a rehearsal too, especially the way Mick sings not for an audience...just read/sings out the text....
If this is a rehearsal there must be more out there ;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 20:57 by NICOS.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 28, 2015 02:24

With their recording mobile at hand, they were able to record anything without too much hassle - rehearsals, soundchecks at shows, whatever. Decades ago, there were rumours about a "studio version" of Let It Rock. Somehow, I could never imagine that they actually recorded Let It Rock in a proper studio (Olympic), but with these more or less "live-setup" recordings like All Down The Line and now Dead Flowers popping up it does indeed make sense.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 28, 2015 07:36

Why put a guitar overdub on a rehearsal? Maybe it was just a looser, earlier take before they decided to use an acoustic. I do like Mick's singing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home