Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334Next
Current Page: 31 of 34
Re: Private Rolling Stones gig at the Belly Up, Solana Beach San Diego tonight
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:00

bv
Keep focus. Don't go home. Leave your family during tours. Don't bring your husband or wife. Too expensive. Forget about your father in law birthday party at age 90, forget about your 30th marriage anniversary, grandchildren born and so on, just follow the Stones.

It is all about priority. I don't regret a single day, I know I will see my family when I am back.

I am never alone but I am still alone. No hints. Just facts.

In my wildest dreams I could never make this kind of sacrifice for a band. If anybody deserves being in Stones Heaven, it's bv. Very helpful advice for some but not for me. Enjoy the tour, bv.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:03

I am a believer that if you want it, if you are willing to work hard enough at it, throw enough cash at it, with the possible exception of the show in memory of Stu, there is no Stone's show you don't have a reasonable chance at. I know 5 of us got into the Beacon with an ex-president and a sitting senator with no Secret Service vetting, without even so much as an identity check. I know someone that got into Shepard's bush because she was wise enough to be there, stubborn enough to stay , and lucky enough to dart in when security became involved carting someone else away.

I know a lot of these people, BV, Matt Lee, Linda, in fact I knew almost every person on the screen when Matt Lee was interviewed at the Fonda and thought it was hilarious that everyone tried to pretend they didn't know each other or what was going on. The usual video of something like this has someone waving or pulling a face, not here , they all did their best to not acknowledge the camera or each other.

So let me acknowledge what everyone suspects. Yes , there is a group of people that know more secrets than most. There are certainly people that know more than I. Of course they know each other, it is pretty hard to travel over several years covering a few continents and not begin to notice each other time after time at the same bars. But people have worked hard to get to where they are. I know a lucky lady that has been around the world more than once since the first Hyde Park show she attended. Matt has worked hard to get where he is at. There are people in this group with Ronnie Artwork in their homes, who are already wondering how to get time off for a South American tour that may not happen. There was a way to get tickets even before the Amex presale , it's not really a secret, but then again its a limited source and the more that know, the less likely I will be able to use it. This July will mark 40 years I have been on the road with the Stones. For Licks, I quit a job, emptied a retirement fund and went on the road. Crazy? Maybe, but by whose standards? It sill seems worth it to me. But how many others would do it? BV leaves his family for months at a time, one of my Kiwi friends will not see his school age children for weeks. Obsessed? Perhaps. But then it seems a bit arrogant to me that someone who buys one ticket to Petco wants to bitch that they didn't know about this party, how unfair that is.

Well, yeah, get over it. I also want to dispel any rumours of a conspiracy theory. A good friend has told me more than once that the friendship stops at the door to the gig. It's sad, but its true. Trust me when I tell you that BV is not sharing info with anyone , he tells what he can here. I have shown up at empty spots with disinformation, I have seen people pretend they can't see me at an elevator, I have sat and ate dinner with people that suddenly stand up and meet someone stepping off an elevator and return with an envelope and swear "it's nothing" Everyone has fought hard and long for whatever source they have. Everyone may meet before and after shows, may smile and laugh together at the head of the cue, but everyone guards what they say about what they know. Its a dog eat dog world and if you step in wearing a rookie's milk bone underwear you will get your ass bitten and chewed eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 02:09 by kahoosier.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:21

tatters
latebloomer
tatters
latebloomer

I read an article recently that said the key to happiness is not in acquring things, but in having experiences that you will treasure throughout your life. On that score, I think Mr. Whitworth is on the right track. What could be more worthwhile than to spend your money on a private Stones concert? smiling smiley

I've always tried to balance the two. You could argue, for instance, that shopping for things is, in itself, an experience that many people find cathartic, at least temporarily. I do find that the older I get, the less and less interested I am in collecting stuff, and the more and more interested I am in just having a good time.

Tatters, I have two daughters, one of whom is studying fashion, and a son who can take two hours to find a pair of shoes. The one thing that isn't cathartic for me is shopping...I'd seriously rather walk on hot coals. Most days I feel like I am drowning in stuff. The clutter in my head is enough for me to deal with, I could easily do without the clutter that has accumulated in my life. smiling smiley

Since you were kind enough to respond to my ramblings, here is the article. It's called: Buy Experiences, Not Things, with the subtitle: Live in anticipation, gathering stories and memories. New research builds on the vogue mantra of behavioral economics.
I think it's as good an argument as any for doing what Ralph Whitworth did, or for that matter, BV and any number of other fans that travel the globe to see their favorite band. The bottom line, "spending money on experiences provides more enduring happiness."

[www.theatlantic.com]

I think the happiness comes from having something to look forward to. Right now, poor ol' Ralph is probably sitting around thinking, "Okay .... that was fun .... now what?"

Anyway, check this one out, late bloomer. You'll like it!

[www.youtube.com]

Good one Tatters, thanks. thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:47

The bottom line, "spending money on experiences provides more enduring happiness."

Well then, spending money on things that promote experiences like guitars and surfboards is probably ok, huh?

peace

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:51

Naturalust
The bottom line, "spending money on experiences provides more enduring happiness."

Well then, spending money on things that promote experiences like guitars and surfboards is probably ok, huh?

peace

Agreed. 100%.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:25

jazzbass
Naturalust

peace

Agreed. 100%.

Or buying a sweet new BB gun!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:26

latebloomer
tatters
latebloomer
tatters
latebloomer

I read an article recently that said the key to happiness is not in acquring things, but in having experiences that you will treasure throughout your life. On that score, I think Mr. Whitworth is on the right track. What could be more worthwhile than to spend your money on a private Stones concert? smiling smiley

I've always tried to balance the two. You could argue, for instance, that shopping for things is, in itself, an experience that many people find cathartic, at least temporarily. I do find that the older I get, the less and less interested I am in collecting stuff, and the more and more interested I am in just having a good time.

Tatters, I have two daughters, one of whom is studying fashion, and a son who can take two hours to find a pair of shoes. The one thing that isn't cathartic for me is shopping...I'd seriously rather walk on hot coals. Most days I feel like I am drowning in stuff. The clutter in my head is enough for me to deal with, I could easily do without the clutter that has accumulated in my life. smiling smiley

Since you were kind enough to respond to my ramblings, here is the article. It's called: Buy Experiences, Not Things, with the subtitle: Live in anticipation, gathering stories and memories. New research builds on the vogue mantra of behavioral economics.
I think it's as good an argument as any for doing what Ralph Whitworth did, or for that matter, BV and any number of other fans that travel the globe to see their favorite band. The bottom line, "spending money on experiences provides more enduring happiness."

[www.theatlantic.com]

I think the happiness comes from having something to look forward to. Right now, poor ol' Ralph is probably sitting around thinking, "Okay .... that was fun .... now what?"

Anyway, check this one out, late bloomer. You'll like it!

[www.youtube.com]

Good one Tatters, thanks. thumbs up

happiness comes from having something to look forward to, and good stories to tell about what you did. it's all about enriching your life with amazing experiences. nice to see this thread coming around to a positive theme like this, kudos to both of you.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 30, 2015 04:13

bv
Please don't make offending jokes about Ralph Whitworth. He could have paid for any band for his party but he paid for the Stones. He took the check. He brought great friends and associates to his party. They were a great crowd. It was a blast for everyone in the room including the Stones.

And please do not argue about this. He is more successful than you and me. That means he is smart. He makes things work. I would admire any person who had the money to buy anything, but rather than buying a million dollar car, he is getting the Stones for a private show. I would do the same, if I could.

OMG I have just spent two hours reading this hysterical thread!

If I had the money I would hire the Rolling Stones for a party every month!

Long live the Rolling Stones!
Long live IORR!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 30, 2015 04:29

Words of wisdom, Kahoosier. And bonus points for the Norm Peterson reference.
It all can get a little silly in fan world.

I've seen it happen when the boys rehearsed here in Toronto.
Some people get obsessed with climbing some sort of fan totem pole, when ultimately, nobody really gives a shit.

I've been on both the right and wrong end of these things before,
And in the end, it's a nice little treat but what really matters is the music, and the happiness that has given me over the years.

A club show didn't give me strength when life knocked me about, Exile On Main St. Did.

I've been on the outside of the Horseshoe looking in, and I've had Keith Richards literally fall into my lap at a rehearsal.

If there's a scene here in July, I'll give it a go, but it's far from certain I'll make it happen. Or maybe nothing will and I'll momentarily regret not seeing them in Columbus.

Anyways, all this to say it's great to see the Stones in a small venue, but never lose sight of the fact that a Stones show is a Stones show, and hooray for that, regardless of where it takes place or where you're standing. There's real injustices in the world that need our attention more than some imagined Stones fan clique political drama.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 04:51 by andrewt.

Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 04:49

andrewt

Some people get obsessed with climbing some sort of fan totem pole, when ultimately, nobody really gives a shit.

And in the end, it's a nice little treat but what really matters is the music, and the happiness that has given me over the years.

A club show didn't give me strength when life knocked me about, Exile On Main St. Did.

I've been on the outside of the Horseshoe looking in, and I've had Keith Richards literally fall into my lap at a rehearsal.

If there's a scene here in July, I'll give it a go, but it's far from certain I'll make it happen. Or maybe nothing will and I'll momentarily regret not seeing them in Columbus.

I've been right up front at the Palais, and in the nosebleeds at Exhibition Stadium, and a had a great time at both.

Anyways, all this to say it's great to see the Stones in a small venue, but never lose sight of the fact that a Stones show is a Stones show, regardless of where it takes place or where you're standing. There's real injustices in the world that need our attention more than some imagined Stones fan clique political drama.

I love all of this. Says a guy who bought a single in row 3 for Pittsburgh today, because that may be the smallest club I ever see them in.

Date: May 30, 2015 04:59

jasona93
andrewt

I've been right up front at the Palais, and in the nosebleeds at Exhibition Stadium, and a had a great time at both.

Anyways, all this to say it's great to see the Stones in a small venue, but never lose sight of the fact that a Stones show is a Stones show, regardless of where it takes place or where you're standing. There's real injustices in the world that need our attention more than some imagined Stones fan clique political drama.

I love all of this. Says a guy who bought a single in row 3 for Pittsburgh today, because that may be the smallest club I ever see them in.

And you'll have fun! I dropped $250 (that's a fortune for me) to sit at the very back of the floors for the second Toronto show in 2013. And I'm there getting texts from people who were backstage. It didn't make my night any less fun or the songs where they nailed it less enjoyable. It's overrated, really. You make your own fun. Some of the close encounters make for good anecdotes later on, but no one ever mentions the ridiculous amount of stress leading up to it. Give me half decent seats and a short beer line anyday.
P.S. I might even make it down to Pittsburgh, and if I do, it will be with a friend who has a pair of lucky dips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 05:03 by andrewt.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 05:00

andrewt

Anyways, all this to say it's great to see the Stones in a small venue, but never lose sight of the fact that a Stones show is a Stones show, and hooray for that, regardless of where it takes place or where you're standing. There's real injustices in the world that need our attention more than some imagined Stones fan clique political drama.

So true. The funniest thing is all the fighting and critiquing on a site called "its only rock and roll"

John Lennon said it best: "for Christ's sake, we were just a rock band".

Date: May 30, 2015 05:40

roller99
andrewt

So true. The funniest thing is all the fighting and critiquing on a site called "its only rock and roll"

John Lennon said it best: "for Christ's sake, we were just a rock band".

Pretty much, yeah.thumbs up

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 30, 2015 10:55

kahoosier
I know a lot of these people, BV, Matt Lee, Linda, in fact I knew almost every person on the screen when Matt Lee was interviewed at the Fonda and thought it was hilarious that everyone tried to pretend they didn't know each other or what was going on. The usual video of something like this has someone waving or pulling a face, not here , they all did their best to not acknowledge the camera or each other.

So let me acknowledge what everyone suspects. Yes , there is a group of people that know more secrets than most. There are certainly people that know more than I. Of course they know each other, it is pretty hard to travel over several years covering a few continents and not begin to notice each other time after time at the same bars. But people have worked hard to get to where they are. I know a lucky lady that has been around the world more than once since the first Hyde Park show she attended. Matt has worked hard to get where he is at. There are people in this group with Ronnie Artwork in their homes, who are already wondering how to get time off for a South American tour that may not happen. There was a way to get tickets even before the Amex presale , it's not really a secret, but then again its a limited source and the more that know, the less likely I will be able to use it. This July will mark 40 years I have been on the road with the Stones. For Licks, I quit a job, emptied a retirement fund and went on the road. Crazy? Maybe, but by whose standards? It sill seems worth it to me. But how many others would do it? BV leaves his family for months at a time, one of my Kiwi friends will not see his school age children for weeks. Obsessed? Perhaps. But then it seems a bit arrogant to me that someone who buys one ticket to Petco wants to bitch that they didn't know about this party, how unfair that is.

Well, yeah, get over it. I also want to dispel any rumours of a conspiracy theory. A good friend has told me more than once that the friendship stops at the door to the gig. It's sad, but its true. Trust me when I tell you that BV is not sharing info with anyone , he tells what he can here. I have shown up at empty spots with disinformation, I have seen people pretend they can't see me at an elevator, I have sat and ate dinner with people that suddenly stand up and meet someone stepping off an elevator and return with an envelope and swear "it's nothing" Everyone has fought hard and long for whatever source they have. Everyone may meet before and after shows, may smile and laugh together at the head of the cue, but everyone guards what they say about what they know. Its a dog eat dog world and if you step in wearing a rookie's milk bone underwear you will get your ass bitten and chewed eye popping smiley

What a post, Dr L.

Thanks for shining a light.

- swiss

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 30, 2015 13:00

The Stones in a bar would be cool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 23:31 by Leonioid.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 30, 2015 14:00

kahoosier
I am a believer that if you want it, if you are willing to work hard enough at it, throw enough cash at it, with the possible exception of the show in memory of Stu, there is no Stone's show you don't have a reasonable chance at. I know 5 of us got into the Beacon with an ex-president and a sitting senator with no Secret Service vetting, without even so much as an identity check. I know someone that got into Shepard's bush because she was wise enough to be there, stubborn enough to stay , and lucky enough to dart in when security became involved carting someone else away.

Sounds exactly like taxi drivers vying for the best fares at night clubs after midnight.........dreadful.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2015 14:56

No no he's right. The Internet has brought a false sense of equality among Stones fans but there is indeed a hierarchy. BV and a few others are at the very top of the pyramid and they deserve it.

I don't buy the 'mew I go to IORR.org every day for the last 4 days and BV didn't give ME the details to get tix for the Fonda show. I feel cheated! BV sucks" complaint.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 15:00 by dcba.

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:08

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:08

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:21

swiss
kahoosier

What a post, Dr L.

- swiss

+1

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:29

DeeGee
[www.utsandiego.com]

Thank you for this. I learned much more from this one post than I've learned from anyone/anything else here.

FWIW, I really am certain (now more than ever) that NO ONE got in if they were not on the guest list. I did watch the vid posted from 'wellalright' and (of course!) there were fans out on the street. They simply were not invited! And that makes perfect sense to me. And Dreamer - once agin we agree!smiling smiley

Thanks again for this link,
CE smoking smiley

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:36

kahoosier

You have written exactly what I was thinking. Those of us who see each other on the road know precisely how this game works and, of course, the first thing you do with any information you may glean from whatever source is get yourself in, then you might (depending on where you got your information from without compromising the source for the future) and I mean might, tell a few select IORRians privately about it. See you at Pittsburgh !!

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:36

DeeGee
[www.utsandiego.com]

Thank you, DeeGee, for posting the link. IMO, everyone following this thread should click on it and read the whole story behind the Petco & Belly Up shows. Very moving. I admire Mr. Whitworth for the important work he is championing and wish him a full recovery.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:38

MisterDDDD
swiss
kahoosier

What a post, Dr L.

- swiss

+1

+1

with just a difference. not everyone that do what the people quoted do in k's post have choosen to live their passion for the stones also by running a website that is a) a place that other fans (less motivated and or wealthy) crowd for information and b) a place where other fans gather in to discuss that information. romans would say that form this honors and obligations can come forth.

me I am here laying on the floor, grateful for all the info-pictures-video-reports-links that i found on my fav band. period

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:46

Plink
DeeGee
[www.utsandiego.com]

Thank you, DeeGee, for posting the link. IMO, everyone following this thread should click on it and read the whole story behind the Petco & Belly Up shows. Very moving. I admire Mr. Whitworth for the important work he is championing and wish him a full recovery.

I agree. If this Immunotherapy approach actually turns out to be viable, a lot of future patients will be grateful to that man.
And from the sounds of it there wouldn't have been a Petco Park show without him working for that too, so you could conclude he deserved to have the Stones at his party.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:48

It's hardly surprising now that the event's over that other details emerge - many of them of a type that I wouldn't expect to see on here in any case.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:50

DeeGee
[www.utsandiego.com]

Thanks for posting this.
Great article... and now we know the how much we need to raise to put on the IORR private gig and to look for a place with a private jogging track.smiling smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:54

Thank y'all for the last page */- of this thread. Since bv's report, or so.

Humanity strikes again

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:56

MisterDDDD
DeeGee
[www.utsandiego.com]

Thanks for posting this.
Great article... and now we know the how much we need to raise to put on the IORR private gig and to look for a place with a private jogging track.smiling smiley

hot smileysmileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 30, 2015 16:01

@DeeGee - thanks for the link, hats off to the guy for pulling this off and all the best to him.

@kahoosier - well written, sounds about right from my times in Bondy, come the money time don't count on anyone but yourself, that's life.

@bv - great write-up and well deserved. Your reference to the rehearsals they let us watch in Bondy makes sense too because in the same way that they let you in at the BU, they had no reason to let us in at the rehearsal other than being generous to their fans who were out there in the cold as Mick said at the end. It was a privilege to be let in that day and also to be just to your right for the whole show.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 16:09 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334Next
Current Page: 31 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home