Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Undercover vs. Dirty Work (battle for the bottom)
Posted by: opj ()
Date: May 14, 2015 00:14

Total Waste of time, Stones always made great albums, you're not a Stones Fan, just a fake or a person that just don't know what The Rolling Stones are.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 14, 2015 01:01

matxil
Glam Descendant
>Maybe Dirty Work is the worst album ever made by an established rock/pop-artist?

Have you ever heard John Lennon's TWO VIRGINS? Or ELECTRONIC SOUND by George Harrison?

No wait I've got it: the worst album ever made by an established rock/pop-artist has to be DYLAN AND THE DEAD by Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead.

Or "Trans" by Neil Young.

I personally like TRANS but I did consider proposing ARC.

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 14, 2015 01:53

Glam Descendant
matxil
Glam Descendant
>Maybe Dirty Work is the worst album ever made by an established rock/pop-artist?

Have you ever heard John Lennon's TWO VIRGINS? Or ELECTRONIC SOUND by George Harrison?

No wait I've got it: the worst album ever made by an established rock/pop-artist has to be DYLAN AND THE DEAD by Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead.

c'mon Jagger has put out a couple solo albums worse than any of these.

Date: May 14, 2015 02:26

Bsebastian
Glam Descendant
matxil
Glam Descendant

Have you actually listened to the Lennon & Harrison albums I mentioned? Jagger's worst solo album is better than those.

Date: May 14, 2015 02:29

Date: May 14, 2015 02:30

Glam Descendant
Bsebastian
Glam Descendant
matxil
Glam Descendant

Have you actually listened to the Lennon & Harrison albums I mentioned? Jagger's worst solo album is better than those.

i regard them as better because while they were failures they actually took risks and explored new directions, neither of which can be said for jagger's. but i respect your viewpoint. we're talking about the worst of the worst in any case.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 14, 2015 03:22

Undercover for sure! Dirty Work has some great moments. Sleep Tonight, Had it With You, Harlem Shuffle, Dirty Work, and One Hit to the Body. All great songs, dragged down by some brutal 80s production.
Undercover is more of a group effort and Mick is clearly far more engaged. Too Much Blood being its worst song, a dreadful knock off which Keith should have demanded go to Jagger's solo album! Terrible! But the rest of the album is fantastic. I love Pretty Beat Up, such a great sleazy groove. Tie You Up is a modern Stray Cat. Just ruthless and hard rocking.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 14, 2015 03:51

Undercover has some gems. A little dated production at times, but not a bad record at all. Some pretty ambitious songwriting at times on that record. Undercover is an interesting political statement as a song....something they tried to do over the years and generally did well until the weakness of Highwire and Neocon.

Dirty Work's strongest track by far is Sleep Tonite...I can picture Keith singing it in a room with a smoke and a bottle of bourbon. Conversely Had It With You, Back To Zero and Dirty Work are 3 of the most throwaway songs the band ever did.

It is not even close...Undercover wins on songwriting alone.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2015 08:02

opj
Total Waste of time, Stones always made great albums, you're not a Stones Fan, just a fake or a person that just don't know what The Rolling Stones are.

DAMN! I hate when I get called out.

EDIT...on the other hand, if I've wasted your time, at least I've accomplished something today!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 08:05 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 14, 2015 08:10

Bsebastian
DandelionPowderman

I played DW in the record store non-stop for the entire week, and I loved it. Back To Zero and Winning Ugly were the clunkers, but I really loved the whole album. The alternatives were Mr. Mister, Cutting Crew and Culture Club at the time, so DW sounded fresh and raw.

other albums released at roughly the same time:
Joshua Tree, U2
The Queen is Dead, Smiths
Life's Rich Pageant, REM

So, Peter Gabriel

the smithereens, talking heads, elvis costello... list goes on and on.

Tinderbox - Siouxsie &TB and The Queen Is Dead are my favourite albums from this year. But Dandelion will probably say that DW is better...

Listen to the guitars on "Candyman" (Siouxsie), "Some Girls are Bigger than Others", "Bigmouth Strikes Again" (what an intro) or the lyrics of Cemetry Gates, way more subtle than the RS at the same time... This is pretty clear: Johnny Marr was at the 80's what Keith Richards was at the 60's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 08:13 by ChelseaGirls.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 14, 2015 08:18

CG, am I wrong if I say you're Irish or at least British?

Date: May 14, 2015 08:18

Glam Descendant

Some albums by Bowie, Iggy or Lou Reed......

Date: May 14, 2015 08:20

Stoneage
CG, am I wrong if I say you're Irish or at least British?

I love British/Irish pop but yeah you're wrong.

Date: May 14, 2015 08:24

Would it be too rude of me to ask which country you're from then?

Date: May 14, 2015 08:27

sorry but I wonder why do you want to know such a thing, does it really matter?

Date: May 14, 2015 08:30

I was just curious, CG. But you're right, it doesn't matter and it's none of my business.

Date: May 14, 2015 10:19

Actually, Irish blood, English heart, this I'm made of. Nah, kidding, just wanted to quote that song:

I've been dreaming of a time when the English are sick to death of Labour and Tories and spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell... and denounce the royal line that still salute him, and will salute him forever.

Date: May 14, 2015 10:52

ChelseaGirls
Actually, Irish blood, English heart, this I'm made of. Nah, kidding, just wanted to quote that song:

I've been dreaming of a time when the English are sick to death of Labour and Tories and spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell... and denounce the royal line that still salute him, and will salute him forever.

badger culling is important!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 14, 2015 13:18

Bsebastian
Glam Descendant
Bsebastian
Glam Descendant
matxil
Glam Descendant

i regard them as better because while they were failures they actually took risks and explored new directions, neither of which can be said for jagger's. but i respect your viewpoint. we're talking about the worst of the worst in any case.

I agree with Sebastian here. I can't stand Neil Young's voice, so I won't listen to Arc, but both the Lennon as the Harrison albums, freaky pseudo-avantgarde nonsense as they are, are more listenable (I am listening to Two Virgins right now, and actually, it's kind of funny, isn't it?) then - say - "Let's Work" by Jagger which, every time I hear it, fills me with embarrassment and disgust.

For some more avant-garde: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 13:19 by matxil.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: May 14, 2015 20:23

Undercover is a Great album if you're a Stones fan vs you'd have to be a truly dedicated Stones fan to like virtually anything on Dirty Work (except for One Hit (to The Body) which is truly an awesome track and one of the best opening songs on any Stones album.

Date: May 14, 2015 21:02

>you'd have to be a truly dedicated Stones fan to like virtually anything on Dirty Work

A "truly dedicated" fan would not casually dismiss "Sleep Tonight".

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 14, 2015 21:19

I like them both, especially undercover, what hurts them both, is they never toured with anyone of the 2

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 14, 2015 21:56

Undercover is a great record. It just needs to be remixed.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 14, 2015 21:57

I love Undercover

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:01

yeababyyea
Had It With You is DEAD BORING. Not even a bass line could have saved it.

All true, Had It With You is without a doubt among the 5 worst Stones songs released officially.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:26

Bsebastian
i regard them as better because while they were failures they actually took risks and explored new directions, neither of which can be said for jagger's...
sorry but to say jagger never explored new directions shows you are incredibly clueless. Ever hear of Fingerprint File, Miss You , Emotional Rescue, or the multitude of coutnry-ish/reggae-ish tracks they've done? Or Handsome Molly, or Let's Work ( don't like it but certainly can't deny it's a new direction), or his stuff w/ Alfie, or even especially SuperHeavy ... yes, only word i can come up with is clueless

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2015 23:48

dgodkin
I like them both, especially undercover, what hurts them both, is they never toured with anyone of the 2

How many tours do you figure would have been required to make Dirty Work sound good?

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: May 16, 2015 03:06

Dirty Work wins for the bottom.Undercover is one of my favorite albums.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2015 03:47

opj

Huh. Stones fans that I know of, real or true, etc blah blah blah KNOW that DIRTY WORK blows chunks. If you can't say DW sucks that sounds like a personal problem.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 16, 2015 14:19

GasLightStreet
opj

Huh. Stones fans that I know of, real or true, etc blah blah blah KNOW that DIRTY WORK blows chunks. If you can't say DW sucks that sounds like a personal problem.

I love both Undercover and DW and I dont think that is a problem, much less a personal one, you are free to like it or not, i could not care less if you do either way. You might even think I am not a true or real o whatever Stones fan.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home