Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"The Rolling Stones" "Sticky Fingers" : TYPOGRAPHIC & ZIPOGRAPHIC Cover Variations
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 11, 2015 05:27

I'd be interested to find out more about the production variations of the Sticky Fingers album cover (including the upcoming release) ...

The change from a vinyl LP to a much smaller CD cover required some re-design. Of course, the working zipper had to go... While a 12" LP was a perfect size to have a working zipper and life-sized denim crotch, a CD cover is too small too have life-sized pants complete with the working zipper...

Consider also that the type had to be re-designed, just to be readable. Here is the orignal 12" x 12" cover. Note the very small type at the top. It was still readable at around 14 points:

A CD is around 4.75" x 4.75". If they had kept the same relative type size for the CD cover (left), it would have scaled down to around 5 points -- a bit too small to read easily. So instead, on the actual CD cover (right) they maintain readability by again using a type size that is around 14 points. But the 14 pt. type takes up more of the total cover space:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-11 18:05 by schillid.

Re: "The Rolling Stones" "Sticky Fingers" : TYPOGRAPHIC & ZIPOGRAPHIC VARIATIONS
Date: May 11, 2015 05:41

imo, the type on the CD looks slightly too big... out of proportion to the whole... less elegant. All subjective of course.

As they say in the graphic design biz, the type on the CD is a bit "horsey."

Re: "The Rolling Stones" "Sticky Fingers" : TYPOGRAPHIC & ZIPOGRAPHIC VARIATIONS
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 11, 2015 06:01

There's also the early European CD variation :

However the first Japanese CD edition retained the original design :

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: May 11, 2015 06:26

And the Virgin CD remaster is a hybrid. It has a zipper but it also has the standard CD typeface.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 11, 2015 09:54

Great info.
What zipper came first? I have always assumed (because I´ve read it several places) it was the larger, rounded of zipper(-handle) - not the small one with square corners.
However, I have never found the large zipper with early matrixes.

Does anybody have that? Original UK COC 59100 A1/B1 with rounded zipper?
I only have UK small zipper with A3/B3. Earliest I have found. Ever.

(The new-ish Maus book has some nice images of different SF versions. Page 143 ff)

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 11, 2015 10:40

RobberBride
Great info.
What zipper came first? I have always assumed (because I´ve read it several places) it was the larger, rounded of zipper(-handle) - not the small one with square corners.
However, I have never found the large zipper with early matrixes.

Does anybody have that? Original UK COC 59100 A1/B1 with rounded zipper?
I only have UK small zipper with A3/B3. Earliest I have found. Ever.

(The new-ish Maus book has some nice images of different SF versions. Page 143 ff)

Mine (bought in week of release in the UK) is COC 59100 A4/B4 (slightly strange?) and the zipper tag is rounded.

I also have a UK CD (CDVX 2730) which is one of the "Original Album Package" series on Virgin (can't recall the year) and that has a small zipper. The tag on that zipper is rectangular.

Geeky or what?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 10:42

I have a digipak cd with a working zipper .

Date: May 11, 2015 11:24

CaptainCorella
Mine (bought in week of release in the UK) is COC 59100 A4/B4 (slightly strange?) and the zipper tag is rounded.

I also have a UK CD (CDVX 2730) which is one of the "Original Album Package" series on Virgin (can't recall the year) and that has a small zipper. The tag on that zipper is rectangular.

Geeky or what?

Exactly. So A4/B4 had the round tag? Interesting.
SF is one of the few Stones LPs where I have not found A1/B1 first matrixes.
Most collectors I have spoken too tells that the SF they got upon release had A3 or A4 matrixes.

Back on topic: It is worth mentioning that the UK COC 59100 firstpress had the "cargo stamp" cover and label while the US COC 59100 had the typo version on cover and label.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-11 11:31 by RobberBride.

Date: May 11, 2015 11:58

Just went through my vinyl library and found copies .

With squared zippers .
French
Canadian
Brazilian
US
US Promo

With rounded zipper ,
German

Date: May 11, 2015 12:17

boston2006
Just went through my vinyl library and found copies .

With squared zippers .
French
Canadian
Brazilian
US
US Promo

With rounded zipper ,
German

Thanks!
Wasn´t the UK 59100 manufactured in Germany?
Perhaps thats like your "German"?

Date: May 11, 2015 13:27

RobberBride
CaptainCorella

Geeky or what?

Exactly. So A4/B4 had the round tag? Interesting.
SF is one of the few Stones LPs where I have not found A1/B1 first matrixes.
Most collectors I have spoken too tells that the SF they got upon release had A3 or A4 matrixes.

Back on topic: It is worth mentioning that the UK COC 59100 firstpress had the "cargo stamp" cover and label while the US COC 59100 had the typo version on cover and label.

"Rolling Stones Records" is in manuscript.

Mine has the "Cargo Stamp" cover. As do the stickers within.

The sleeve has absolutely no writing/printing anywhere on it other than on the edge (title and serial number). The insert says "Printed in England by Richard Davis Ltd.". That may make a difference as in the parallel world of Fab Four Collecting early pressings of early albums had covers printed by different manufacturers and that affects their collectibilty.

And if you're patient with me I'll unearth my Mick Jagger Standup (as photographed in some Nellcotte shots on a fireplace) and see if that's got any stamps on it. May take a while to get it from its place of safety.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 00:36 by CaptainCorella.

Date: May 11, 2015 15:31

CaptainCorella

And if you're patient with me I'll unearth my Mick Jagger Standup (as photographed in some Nelcotte shots on a fireplace) and see if that's got any stamps on it. May take a while to get it from it's place of safety.

That would be great. The link between SF and (the recording of) EXILE winking smiley

Date: May 11, 2015 22:25

The one with the miniature zipper looks really dumb...

Re: "The Rolling Stones" "Sticky Fingers" : TYPOGRAPHIC & ZIPOGRAPHIC Cover Variations
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 11, 2015 22:37

That's a tiny todger zipper smoking smiley

Re: "The Rolling Stones" "Sticky Fingers" : TYPOGRAPHIC & ZIPOGRAPHIC Cover Variations
Date: May 12, 2015 00:37

Koen
That's a tiny todger zipper smoking smiley

Isn't that what Keef said about Mick in his (Keef's) book that so annoyed him?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 12, 2015 00:39

That and the fact that the rest of the sentence was about Anita.

Date: May 12, 2015 03:59

The image is cropped higher above the belt. You can now see some of the guy's shirt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 04:30 by schillid.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 12, 2015 04:29

The "rubber stamp" motif was indicative of Warhol at the time. (Wasn't an Andy Warhol stamp on the underwear shot as well?)

Date: May 12, 2015 09:38

schillid
The image is cropped higher above the belt. You can now see some of the guy's shirt

As far as I can tell, this is cropped the same as my album sleeve;

Glam Descendant
The "rubber stamp" motif was indicative of Warhol at the time. (Wasn't an Andy Warhol stamp on the underwear shot as well?)

This prompted me to overcome my inhibitions and peer closer behind the zip on the sleeve I have. Contrary to my earlier posting (apologies) there IS writing within. It says "Andy Warhol" in a largish script font, and below that in smaller normal font it says "This photograph may not be .. etc". The inner shot may be underpants, but to find that out I'd have to almost destroy the sleeve... and that ain't gonna happen!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 12, 2015 15:56

Stones advertise Treaclecover as "Stickiest Sticky Fingers" + Shirt:

#StickyStones The stickiest Sticky Fingers artwork? [www.rollingstones.com] …

[twitter.com]

Sticky Fingers 'Spanish Cover', T-Shirt & 'Wild Horses' CD Single exclusively at Best Buy!
[www.bestbuy.com] …

[twitter.com]

Date: May 12, 2015 19:59

Thanks , just picked my copies up !!

Date: May 12, 2015 20:24

Does anyone know the name of this font? Can't seem to find it.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 12, 2015 20:29

Was it not Joe Dallesandro
in those jeans?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 20:32 by desertblues68.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 13, 2015 01:43

desertblues68
Was it not Joe Dallesandro
in those jeans?

According to Wikipedia :

"The cover photo of a male model's crotch clad in tight blue jeans was assumed by many fans to be an image of Mick Jagger, but the people actually involved at the time of the photo shoot claim that Warhol had several different men photographed (Jagger was not among them) and never revealed which shots he used."

"Those closest to the shoot, and subsequent design, name Factory artist and designer Corey Tippin as the likeliest candidate. Warhol "superstar" Joe Dallesandro claims to have been the model."

Also :

"While the artwork was conceived by Warhol, photography was by Billy Name and design by Craig Braun."

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:48

>"While the artwork was conceived by Warhol, photography was by Billy Name and design by Craig Braun."

That part's not true. Name had already left the Factory by then; all the shots are Polaroids taken by Warhol.

Back cover is supposedly Glenn O'Brien, Corey Tippin on front.

Posted by: RoyalHue ()
Date: May 16, 2015 00:40

Does anyone know the name of this font?

It's Kabel Black.

Date: May 16, 2015 16:00

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home