Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones in the studio
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 9, 2015 22:18

Could very well be that I'm the only one here who has never come across this, but I thought I'd share nonetheless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 20:03 by Long John Stoner.

Re: Stones in the studio
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 9, 2015 23:24

Is that "Extreme Western Grip"?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 10, 2015 01:26

Hmmm...I'm sorry, gang, but my reaction to this is WTF? While watching this I kept coming back to thinking: Is this them doing a parody of themselves, "The Rolling Stones", playing around in the studio or a skit from Saturday Night Live. I've had more sparks and energy fly off in an impromptu jam session with friends than is happening in this clip. Maybe I'm off in my assessment, but.... Just my humble opnion.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2015 01:52

dmay
Hmmm...I'm sorry, gang, but my reaction to this is WTF? While watching this I kept coming back to thinking: Is this them doing a parody of themselves, "The Rolling Stones", playing around in the studio or a skit from Saturday Night Live. I've had more sparks and energy fly off in an impromptu jam session with friends than is happening in this clip. Maybe I'm off in my assessment, but.... Just my humble opnion.

no worries, your just off in your assessment. this isn't a show, just a snippet from the studio, so Mick's lack of gesticulating and pointing is no indication that there is a problem.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2015 01:52

It's from the LICKS sessions and it's from the DVD set FOUR FLICKS. Obviously just loosening up in the studio.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 10, 2015 03:42

shit it sounds good enough to me

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 10, 2015 04:50

Don't know about the the rest of them them but Charlie sounds fantastic!

peace

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 10, 2015 05:22

Long John Stoner
Could very welll be that I'm the only one here who has never come across this, but I thought I'd share nonetheless.

That's focking cool, man - I'd never seen it. Thanks for posting. Completely love it. I love not seeing them formally performing. They know the camera is on, and these are not "unguarded moments," but it is more behind the scenes than we usually get to see, and, as said, I love it.

Is that Jack White with the hat?

- swiss

Date: May 10, 2015 05:24

swiss
Is that Jack White with the hat?

- swiss

That's Don Was.

peace

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 10, 2015 12:55

What is exactly doing Keith ?? but possing??
He reminds me Brian in the one plus one film, with his headphones playing a ghost guitar that no one hears

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 10, 2015 13:44

This clip was from the Paris sessions were they, according to Keith, recorded appoximatly 30 tracks. Among them, they chose to release "Don't Stop", "Keys To Your Love", "Stealing My Heart" and "Losing My Touch". "Hurricane" got released as a charity one-off single in 2005 as well. If "Extreme Western Grip" and "Well Well" represents the other tracks recorded at the sessions, I fully understand why they never returned to them...

Date: May 10, 2015 13:45

I hear him. But this is keyboard/bass/drum jam mainly.

Date: May 11, 2015 09:56

Keyboard + bass + drum + RONNIE who is clearly audible. Keith is just possing, even in studio!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 10:52

Naturalust
Don't know about the the rest of them them but Charlie sounds fantastic!

peace

thumbs upthumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: May 11, 2015 10:58

Charlie is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 10:59

They recorded several other songs at those sessions that had potential and were worked up pretty extensively.

Date: May 11, 2015 11:15

TeddyB1018
They recorded several other songs at those sessions that had potential and were worked up pretty extensively.

Do you know why they chose to abandon that project?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 11, 2015 15:53

Thanks LongJohn, for that very cool clip. smiling smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 12, 2015 01:53

I'm amazed how many of you have not seen FOUR FLICKS.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 12, 2015 06:34

Is that Chuck Leavell's twin brother on keyboards here? because this guy actually sounds semi-soulful.

Date: May 12, 2015 06:53

71Tele
Is that Chuck Leavell's twin brother on keyboards here? because this guy actually sounds semi-soulful.

Hold everything...is that a semi-compliment for Chuck coming from you Tele? Are you sober? Maybe it's just cause you can actually hear him and he's not limited to what the boss wants to hear..smoking smiley

peace

Date: May 12, 2015 07:27

Naturalust
71Tele

Hold everything...is that a semi-compliment for Chuck coming from you Tele? Are you sober? Maybe it's just cause you can actually hear him and he's not limited to what the boss wants to hear..smoking smiley

peace

Again, it doesn't matter why he sounds bad, only that he does. And he does - with the Stones. Perhaps in a more intimate environment like the above clip he actually plays like a human instead of a karaoke machine. More power to him in that case.

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: May 12, 2015 08:14

=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 08:17 by tauk.

Date: May 12, 2015 10:08

71Tele

When playing keys and hammond, I've always thought Chuck played nicely. It's that fake piano that.. well...

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: May 14, 2015 16:51

Glam Descendant
I'm amazed how many of you have not seen FOUR FLICKS.
that's what I was thinking smiling smiley
john

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: May 14, 2015 16:53

not studio performance but I always enjoyed these... not the same amount of posing, just playing (except Keef!!!) I cant seem to embed the video!!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 16:56 by johnh.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 14, 2015 18:25

johnh
not studio performance but I always enjoyed these... not the same amount of posing, just playing (except Keef!!!) I cant seem to embed the video!!

video: [www.youtube.com]

That "trumpet" jam on the finale of hot stuff in one of the best arrangements that the Stones came up with in the recent years.

Pity the song was played what? Once?

C

Date: May 14, 2015 18:43

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

When playing keys and hammond, I've always thought Chuck played nicely. It's that fake piano that.. well...

Agree completely. Elvis Costello's current solo tour must have 1% of the budget and crew as the Stones, and he played all of two songs on piano. Yet there it was, a beautiful black grand. Either Chuck is lazy or the Stones organization is, one or the other.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 14, 2015 18:49

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Agree completely. Elvis Costello's current solo tour must have 1% of the budget and crew as the Stones, and he played all of two songs on piano. Yet there it was, a beautiful black grand. Either Chuck is lazy or the Stones organization is, one or the other.

Got to say I've seen many many grands with an "electronic" inside (and I'm not saying this is the case for Costello).

The equivalent of the wall of marshalls ...

C

Date: May 14, 2015 22:05

liddas
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Got to say I've seen many many grands with an "electronic" inside (and I'm not saying this is the case for Costello).

The equivalent of the wall of marshalls ...

C

Not sure lazy is the right description. Chuck has talked about why he plays the gear he does and it I recall it has more to do with tuning, consistency and the fact that he likes the sound. I'm not disagreeing that an acoustic piano would sound better, just pointing out it seems to be Chuck's choice..he could obviously demand an acoustic piano if he wanted to.

Who knows, maybe he has some new gear this time out, the improvement on electronic pianos seems to get better every year and Chuck is indeed due for an upgrade.

peace

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2107
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home