Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Real Stones Fan ???
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 11, 2015 07:55

ChelseaGirls
LongBeach: During the 70's no one was better than Bowie anyway... To answer to the thread question, well I wonder... if your favourite writer is Oscar Wilde, will you describe yourself as "an Oscar Wilde fan"? Unless you're Morrissey... I doubt it.

No one better than Bowie during the 70's? Uhm, what about Bolan?

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 11, 2015 07:58

alimente
ChelseaGirls
LongBeach: During the 70's no one was better than Bowie anyway... To answer to the thread question, well I wonder... if your favourite writer is Oscar Wilde, will you describe yourself as "an Oscar Wilde fan"? Unless you're Morrissey... I doubt it.

Bolan was excellent and even Bowie's main influence but the student has surpassed the master!

Date: May 11, 2015 07:59

LongBeachArena72
alimente
Nothing is real.

I take it back, treacle; alimente wins post of the day.

...and my heart goes boom, boom, boom...

Date: May 11, 2015 08:00

Stoneage
Thanks, Chelseagirls! You seem to be a nice bunch of girls...

But ... TH is an Irish band... very funny lyrics

Date: May 11, 2015 08:26

ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls

Bolan was excellent and even Bowie's main influence but the student has surpassed the master!

I can't agree with the "surpassing the master"-bit... Bolan's ten year album run from Tyrannosaurus Rex to Dandy In The Underworld is unparalleled, even some of his later albums which back then were considered comparatively weaker stood the test of time really well and include many great songs, and then there's of course the singles, many of them with top quality non-album b-sides...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-11 08:27 by alimente.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 11, 2015 08:27

A Real Stones Fan is....

Someone who knows it's all about the party with great music. That a concert is "an excuse to ball". At a concert he/she will be sexually permissive with loved one or stranger. That it's more about drugs than beer. That you never leave the show for any reason (sex & drugs at seats). That you dress like the rock n roller that you are and not just jeans & t-shirts. You don't get drunk or start fights. You don't hold up silly signs 'like a little girl'. You dance/grind/rock without acting like a fool and never sing or shout to prove you know the words. You remember that people paid a hefty price to hear Mick sing, even the quiet ballads so you don't spoil it for anyone because a Stones fan is not selfish!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2015 08:34

So your an auctioneer for which company?????????????????

ROCKMAN

Date: May 11, 2015 08:35

alimente
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls

I can't agree with the "surpassing the master"-bit... Bolan's ten year album run from Tyrannosaurus Rex to Dandy In The Underworld is unparalleled, even some of his later albums which back then were considered comparatively weaker stood the test of time really well and include many great songs, and then there's of course the singles, many of them with top quality non-album b-sides...

Well actually I agree with almost all you wrote! Especially the bold part and that is the same for the Smiths, almost all their B-sides are fantastic... and the Smiths loved Bolan - the song PANIC - Hang the DJ, hang the DJ hang the DJ... burn down the disco... cause the music they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 11, 2015 08:53

Rockman
So your an auctioneer for which company?????????????????

THE ROLLING STONES!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2015 08:57

OH well in that case ya should get ya hearin' aid checked .... hhhaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: May 11, 2015 09:06

His hearing aid started to melt...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 11, 2015 10:40

Maybe someone who loves the Rolling Stones and hates Beatles and U2

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 11, 2015 16:34

Rockman
I only smoke during intercourse .....

rockee, your an ash.

Date: May 11, 2015 16:36

LongBeachArena72
alimente
Nothing is real.

I take it back, treacle; alimente wins post of the day.

It's nothing to get hung about

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 18:32

ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls

Well actually I agree with almost all you wrote! Especially the bold part and that is the same for the Smiths, almost all their B-sides are fantastic... and the Smiths loved Bolan - the song PANIC - Hang the DJ, hang the DJ hang the DJ... burn down the disco... cause the music they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life... >grinning smiley<

Actually, you're both deluded. Bolan was an original and incredibly good fun but comparing him to Bowie is a non-starter. His output was simply not in the same league. There's one record (THE SLIDER) that can be mentioned in the same breath as the Bowie classics, but that's about it.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 11, 2015 18:37

treaclefingers

Date: May 11, 2015 19:00

LongBeachArena72
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls

I can't agree with the "surpassing the master"-bit... Bolan's ten year album run from Tyrannosaurus Rex to
Dandy In The Underworld is unparalleled, even some of his later albums which back then were considered comparatively weaker stood the test of time really well and include many great songs, and then there's of course the singles, many of them with top quality non-album b-sides...

Actually, you're both deluded. Bolan was an original and incredibly good fun but comparing him to Bowie is a non-starter. His output was simply not in the same league. There's one record (THE SLIDER) that can be mentioned in the same breath as the Bowie classics, but that's about it.

Actually it would be unfair to dismiss Bolan by mentionning the quality of Bowie's classics since Bolan & Tyrannosaurus Rex/T. Rex were the roots and Bowie took things one step further...

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:04

DREAMTIME
A Real Stones Fan is....

Someone who knows it's all about the party with great music. That a concert is "an excuse to ball". At a concert he/she will be sexually permissive with loved one or stranger. That it's more about drugs than beer. That you never leave the show for any reason (sex & drugs at seats). That you dress like the rock n roller that you are and not just jeans & t-shirts. You don't get drunk or start fights. You don't hold up silly signs 'like a little girl'. You dance/grind/rock without acting like a fool and never sing or shout to prove you know the words. You remember that people paid a hefty price to hear Mick sing, even the quiet ballads so you don't spoil it for anyone because a Stones fan is not selfish!!!
zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ SLEEPY

Date: May 12, 2015 02:19

Leonioid
treaclefingers

living is easy with eyes closed

Date: May 12, 2015 05:52

LongBeachArena72
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls

And SLIDER's apparently the only Bolan record you know, right?

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 12, 2015 07:49

alimente
LongBeachArena72
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls

It's the only Bolan record I own. I know Tyrannasaurus Rex, and Electric Warrior, and Dandy, and some of the singles-only things. Great guitarist, fabulous innovator, but simply not in the same world-class league as Bowie when it comes to song-writing and generally mind-blowing behavior. In this reporter's opinion, of course ... smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2015 08:30

LongBeachArena72
alimente
LongBeachArena72
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls
alimente
ChelseaGirls

It's the only Bolan record I own. I know Tyrannasaurus Rex, and Electric Warrior, and Dandy, and some of the singles-only things. Great guitarist, fabulous innovator, but simply not in the same world-class league as Bowie when it comes to song-writing and generally mind-blowing behavior. In this reporter's opinion, of course ... smiling smiley

While I understand your opinion because you don't know the Tanx, Zinc Alloy, Zip Gun, Futuristic Dragon albums and therefore can't compare them to Bowie's output from the same time frame (1973-1976), I don't share it. IMHO, Bowie and Bolan were in the same league, and Bolan's output from 1967 to 1977 is every bit as rich and diverse as Bowie's from the same time frame. The mainly acoustic-based Tyrannosaurus Rex duo output (his first four albums) is mindblowing stuff and totally underrated IMHO.

Date: May 12, 2015 09:42

If we had to praise Bolan for a single thing it would be Bowie's first musical peak around 1971-1972.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 19:25

Naturalust
The blind girl who hitchhiked to all the Stones shows and made an effort to contact the judge to keep Keith out of jail after the Toronto bust...that's a Real Fan.

Wonder what happened to her? Obviously her disability give her a unique perspective on Stones music ...the modern spectacle would have no meaning to her and the music itself would have to stand on it's own. Is she still attending shows? It would be great to get an interview with her in 2015 and hear her perspective.

Sounds like a job for Swiss!

peace

My wife was at the benefit they performed, even took photos.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home