Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Real Stones Fan ???
Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 8, 2015 08:49

LeonidP
2120Wolf
I would like to hear definitions of what one thinks a "Real Stones Fan" is.

To me, if a so-called fan says that Exile is not the Stones masterpiece, I pretty much dismiss them as a fake fan.

I would rather say if a person says that Exile is not the best Stones record, then they probably are a Real Stones Fan since it's an indicator saying this person has listened to their whole catalogue more than once.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 8, 2015 08:49

Real or fake?

Like a lot things, as along as they are there and enjoyable does it matter?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 8, 2015 10:40

Well, I knew I wasn't one about five minutes after I joined this board. smiling smiley

A real fan is someone who loves the Stones - but is going to have to spend half their life disagreeing about who or what "the Stones" consists of, or what you have to do or think or own or believe in order to prove that you "love" them.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 8, 2015 12:12

EasterMan
LeonidP
2120Wolf

To me, if a so-called fan says that Exile is not the Stones masterpiece, I pretty much dismiss them as a fake fan.

I would rather say if a person says that Exile is not the best Stones record, then they probably are a Real Stones Fan since it's an indicator saying this person has listened to their whole catalogue more than once.

And lots of younger fans just say Exile is best because it's more or less a law or a habit to say that since people like LeonidP keep posting bs like this.
The album really wasn't that well received back in the day (after SF!). We discussed it...that was not the best way to celebrate a new RS album after BB, LIB & SF!!
And when GHS came it brought new discussions between people in favor of EOMS and those in favor of GHS; we were still evaluating EOMS because it was different. GHS was seen as more in line or a logical folow up to SF, LIB & BB and in those days GHS was also seen as a symbol of the change as a band: we knew what they were doing and creating because we were following them since there was nothing else to follow cause they were our culture - and they were following us.
EOMS wasn't celebrated as the best they ever did. It was SF, LIB & BB that was played over and over again and at the end of the party it was GHS.
EOMS really wasn't that special back then...

People who don't know arguments like this can still be called a fan. I don't care. Just don't say something because of peer pressure and develope your own taste and create your own opinion.

Date: May 8, 2015 12:49

Dreamer
EasterMan
LeonidP
2120Wolf

And lots of younger fans just say Exile is best because it's more or less a law or a habit to say that since people like LeonidP keep posting bs like this.
The album really wasn't that well received back in the day (after SF!). We discussed it...that was not the best way to celebrate a new RS album after BB, LIB & SF!!
And when GHS came it brought new discussions between people in favor of EOMS and those in favor of GHS; we were still evaluating EOMS because it was different. GHS was seen as more in line or a logical folow up to SF, LIB & BB and in those days GHS was also seen as a symbol of the change as a band: we knew what they were doing and creating because we were following them since there was nothing else to follow cause they were our culture - and they were following us.
EOMS wasn't celebrated as the best they ever did. It was SF, LIB & BB that was played over and over again and at the end of the party it was GHS.

People who don't know arguments like this can still be called a fan. I don't care. Just don't say something because of peer pressure and develope your own taste and create your own opinion.

Musically, I'd say it's a follow-up to SF indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 12:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 8, 2015 13:18

DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
EasterMan
LeonidP
2120Wolf

Musically, I'd say it's a follow-up to SF indeed.

Yes (and what I was trying to say was) like SF was experienced as exciting and new and also somehow logical after LIB and BB; SF was also some sort of combination of those two... The dark was still dark and they added a certain magic which made it the perfect underground album. We were still celebrating all of that when EOMS came so that's got something to do with it; we were spoiled! 16 months after LIB we got SF followed by EOMS 13 months later!! 15 months after that it was GHS followed by IORR 14 months later...

Date: May 8, 2015 13:29

The acoustic-heavy BB and LIB were a bit different, imo, but the musical exploration-side of them was perhaps something SF covered and took even further.

Haven't really thought of it that way, but you definitely have a point here.

This is what I love about this board. In between all the bullshit, there is always something great to pick up or stuff that may broaden one's horizon. Thanks thumbs up

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: May 8, 2015 14:07

A real Stones fan thinks the Stones are much better than The Beatles.

DandelionPowderman
The acoustic-heavy BB and LIB were a bit different, imo, but the musical exploration-side of them was perhaps something SF covered and took even further.

Haven't really thought of it that way, but you definitely have a point here.

This is what I love about this board. In between all the bullshit, there is always something great to pick up or stuff that may broaden one's horizon. Thanks thumbs up

You're welcome friendo smoking smiley
Just trying to pass the feel man!

By the way it's interesting to read what KR & MJ think of EOMS & GHS.
MJ in 1973 about GHS (and the album before that; EOMS):
"I really feel close to this album, and I really put all I had into it... I guess it comes across that I'm more into songs. It wasn't as vague as the last album which kind of went on so long that I didn't like some of the things. There's more thought to this one. It was recorded all over the place over about two or three months. The tracks are much more varied than the last one. I didn't want it to be just a bunch of rock songs."

On the response to EOMS KR said:
"When Exile came out it didn't sell particularly well at the beginning, and it was also pretty much universally panned. But within a few years the people who had written the reviews saying it was a piece of crap were extolling it as the best frigging album in the world."

MJ at the time of Exile's release:
"This new album is @#$%& mad. There's so many different tracks. It's very rock & roll, you know. I didn't want it to be like that. I'm the more experimental person in the group, you see I like to experiment. Not go over the same thing over and over. Since I've left England, I've had this thing I've wanted to do. I'm not against rock & roll, but I really want to experiment. The new album's very rock & roll and it's good. I mean, I'm very bored with rock & roll. The revival. Everyone knows what their roots are, but you've got to explore everywhere. You've got to explore the sky too."

In 2003 MJ said:
"Exile is not one of my favourite albums, although I think the record does have a particular feeling. I'm not too sure how great the songs are, but put together it's a nice piece. However, when I listen to Exile it has some of the worst mixes I've ever heard. I'd love to remix the record, not just because of the vocals, but because generally I think it sounds lousy. At the time Jimmy Miller was not functioning properly. I had to finish the whole record myself, because otherwise there were just these drunks and junkies. Of course I'm ultimately responsible for it, but it's really not good and there's no concerted effort or intention."
MJ also stated he did not understand the praise amongst Rolling Stones fans because the album did not yield very many hits. Only three out of 18 ("Tumbling Dice", "Happy" and "All Down The Line") got heavy rotation at concerts and seven have never been performed live.

KR said:
"Exile was a double album. And because it's a double album you're going to be hitting different areas, including 'D for Down', and the Stones really felt like exiles. We didn't start off intending to make a double album; we just went down to the south of France to make an album and by the time we'd finished we said, 'We want to put it all out.' The point is that the Stones had reached a point where we no longer had to do what we were told to do. Around the time Andrew Oldham left us, we'd done our time, things were changing and I was no longer interested in hitting Number One in the charts every time. What I want to do is good shit—if it's good they'll get it some time down the road."

Also it's important to realise the situation at that time when recording. They got out of their contract with AK and didn't want to give him those earlier tracks (EOMS was recorded between '69 & '72).
Put that together with Richards' effectiveness seriously undermined by his dependence on heroin and you understand the group's 1970s releases were directed largely by MJ (BW, CW & MJ were the ones not (seriously) on drugs in those days).

BW about that period:
"Not everyone turned up every night. This was, for me, one of the major frustrations of this whole period. For our previous two albums we had worked well and listened to producer Jimmy Miller. At Nellcôte things were very different and it took me a while to understand why.

KR's substance abuse prevented him from attending the sessions that continued in his basement, while MJ and BW were often unable to attend sessions for other reasons. This often left the band in the position of having to record in altered forms.
Although MJ was frequently missing from Nellcôte he took charge during the second stage of recording in Los Angeles, arranging for the keyboardists Billy Preston and Dr John and the cream of the city's session backup vocalists to record layers of overdubs. The final gospel-inflected arrangements of Tumbling Dice, Loving Cup, Let It Loose and Shine a Light were inspired by MJ and Preston's visit to a local evangelical church.

The extended recording sessions and differing methods on the part of MJ and KR reflected the growing disparity in their personal lives. During the making of the album MJ had married Bianca followed closely by the birth of their only child Jade, in October 1971. KR was firmly attached to Anita Pallenberg yet both were in the throes of heroin addiction which KR would not overcome until the turn of the decade.

I think what BW said is interesting "For our previous two albums we had worked well and listened to producer Jimmy Miller. At Nellcôte things were very different.."
Shortly after Nellcôte MJ took charge and I think that 's what makes GHS better or more interesting to me...less chaotic and more personal and reflective by the three musketeers KR (CDA) MT and MJ...and all songs written by the RS!

walkingthedog

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2015 14:14

walkingthedog

good one!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:08

I'm from the Some Girls era of being a teenybopper Stones fan.
Exile was probably the sixth or seventh Stones album I got around to listening to, but when I did it changed my life.

Of course, it's been years (decades) since I've been a "fan" in the posters-on-the-wall sense, but I've hung onto a stack of old newspaper clippings about the band for sentimental reasons.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:10

where are they , tell me where , i want to see them with ,my own eyes .

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:23

If you like every song on "dirty work" concider yourself a hardcore fansmiling smiley

Date: May 8, 2015 15:23

DoctorFreddie
If you like every song on "dirty work" concider yourself a hardcore fansmiling smiley

Darn! There is one song that I don't like... angry smiley

Date: May 8, 2015 15:34

DoctorFreddie
If you like every song on "dirty work" consider yourself a hardcore fansmiling smiley

I always thought Dirty Work was a fine Stones album, standard
Stones stuff with 2-3 really good songs, 1-2 not so good and
the rest falling in the middle, but I understand many dont like DW, but I do.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:50

Leonioid
DoctorFreddie
If you like every song on "dirty work" consider yourself a hardcore fansmiling smiley

I was just kidding. Good for you but i think it is bad. Its all subjectively but im sure we`re both true stones fan. I have bought the album a couple of times on vinyl and a couple of times on cd and a couple of dirty work vinyl bootlegs. Havent played any of them in years but i love the bandsmiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:53

josepi
To me, it's all about how you feel in the final seconds before the Stones hit the stage.

yeah, that is pretty exciting still isn't it

Date: May 8, 2015 15:55

DandelionPowderman
DoctorFreddie

Darn! There is one song that I don't like... angry smiley

that is a mystery...which one could it be? I could imagine any one of about 7 or 8 songs would be strong contenders.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:56

DoctorFreddie

And even harder fan are you if you consistently claim that Bill Wymans ' Monkey Grip ' is much better than Bob Dylan's ' Highway 61 Revisited ' the ...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 8, 2015 15:58

DoctorFreddie
Leonioid
DoctorFreddie

I was just kidding. Good for you but I think it is bad. Its all subjectively but im sure we`re both true stones fans. I have bought the album a couple of times on vinyl and a couple of times on cd and a couple of dirty work vinyl bootlegs. Havent played any of them in years but i love the bandsmiling smiley

CHEERS TO ALL STONES FANS!!! both natural and implants!!!

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 16:01 by Leonioid.

Date: May 8, 2015 17:22

Rockman

.....TREACLE!!!!!

careful with that axe rockman!

Date: May 8, 2015 17:50

real fans vs imaginary fans...

I suspect there will be 2-3 stops on the upcoming tour, where tickets are not selling so well in the huge monster 80,000 seat stadiums and some imaginary fans may be needed to fill in the empty sections... and the moral is- those are cities may be the ones you want to travel to for a cheep cheep cheep ticket... maybe free tickets. They probably will not be front row free tickets, but they also probably will not be upper level in the back.

So see? even imaginary fans are not that bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 17:51 by Leonioid.

Posted by: piotrek ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:31

real stones fan can hear Back to Zero without yawn

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:33

piotrek
real stones fan can hear Back to Zero without yawn

Is a frown okay?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:38

I'm a Stones fan and no one tells me otherwise. Real or fake is just bullshit. You are or you are not. There is no level, there is no percentage. "I like the Stones" should be enough.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:51

A "real" Stones fan has a full appreciation of where they have been.....and accepts where they are at now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 20:00 by Woz.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 8, 2015 19:07

A "real" stones fan? That is someone who "gets" the music of The Rolling Stones and likes it!

Date: May 8, 2015 19:09

barbabang
A "real" stones fan? That is someone who "gets" the music of The Rolling Stones and likes it!

I quite often "give" the music of the Rolling Stones and like it, does that count?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 8, 2015 19:13

Leonioid
barbabang

I quite often "give" the music of the Rolling Stones and like it, does that count?

For me, yes. If you get the music and like it, and more even than other bands, you are a "real" fan. It's not in the quantity of bootlegs you know, or the amount of songs you have. It's about getting the essence of the band.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home