Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Real Stones Fan ???
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 10, 2015 02:26

LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
EasterMan
LeonidP
2120Wolf
I would like to hear definitions of what one thinks a "Real Stones Fan" is.

To me, if a so-called fan says that Exile is not the Stones masterpiece, I pretty much dismiss them as a fake fan.

I would rather say if a person says that Exile is not the best Stones record, then they probably are a Real Stones Fan since it's an indicator saying this person has listened to their whole catalogue more than once.

And lots of younger fans just say Exile is best because it's more or less a law or a habit to say that since people like LeonidP keep posting bs like this.
The album really wasn't that well received back in the day (after SF!). We discussed it...that was not the best way to celebrate a new RS album after BB, LIB & SF!!
And when GHS came it brought new discussions between people in favor of EOMS and those in favor of GHS; we were still evaluating EOMS because it was different. GHS was seen as more in line or a logical folow up to SF, LIB & BB and in those days GHS was also seen as a symbol of the change as a band: we knew what they were doing and creating because we were following them since there was nothing else to follow cause they were our culture - and they were following us.
EOMS wasn't celebrated as the best they ever did. It was SF, LIB & BB that was played over and over again and at the end of the party it was GHS.
EOMS really wasn't that special back then...

People who don't know arguments like this can still be called a fan. I don't care. Just don't say something because of peer pressure and develope your own taste and create your own opinion.

This is interesting ... but is not what I remember. EXILE was definitely met with a certain puzzlement. The vocal mix, scruffiness, general downbeat vibe, etc., were all remarked upon. But my recollection is that fairly quickly, perhaps as soon as the end of the 72 STP tour of No Amer, opinions were already being revised pretty dramatically in the record's favor.

GOAT'S HEAD SOUP, on the other hand, was almost universally derided. There were some outliers who gave the band points for a certain 'experimental' spirit, stretching boundaries of r'n'r, etc. But I recall the overall reaction being very negative. Plus, then the glammed out Mick led the band in the televised DANCING/ANGIE/SILVER TRAIN on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and the floodgates of "the Stones are now officially a) parodying themselves, and b) no longer leading but rather reacting to Bowie, et al" were open.

By who?
And in the case of GHS you're probably not quoting consumers: Angie sailed to No. 1 in the US and became a worldwide hit and the album also shot to No. 1 worldwide (went triple platinum in the US)...

Edit:
By the late 1970s, critics had suddenly come to view EOMS as the RS' greatest record...
On the response to the album, KR said:
"When Exile came out it didn't sell particularly well at the beginning, and it was also pretty much universally panned. But within a few years the people who had written the reviews saying it was a piece of crap were extolling it as the best frigging album in the world."

As pointed out in a post below by Bsebastian, Lester Bangs had revised his opinion of EXILE within 6 mos of its release. And in the Rolling Stone mag review of GOATS HEAD SOUP of Aug 73 the following appeared:

"At first, Exile on Main Street seemed a terrible disappointment, with its murky, mindless mixes and concentration on the trivial. Over time, it emerged as a masterful study in poetic vulgarity."

I may have been a bit aggressive about saying the tide on EXILE had turned by the time the STP tour was over ... but it certainly didn't take more than 6-12 mos for the critical consensus to begin to change.

As for the commercial appeal of GHS: sure, it sold a ton of records. As we know, though, from this band, and from many others, contemporary levels of commerical success are not always the best gauge of quality and artistic merit.

I've always pretty much agreed with Robert Christgau on GHS:

"Except for the spavined "Dancing With Mr. D," and the oxymoronic "Can You Hear the Music," these are good songs. But the execution is slovenly. I don't mean sloppy, which can be exciting--I mean arrogant and enervated all at once. Mick's phrasing is always indolent, but usually it's calculated down to the last minibeat as well; here the words sometimes catch him yawning. Without trying to be "tight" the band usually grooves into a reckless, sweaty coherence; here they hope the licks will stand on their own. Only on "@#$%&," the most outrageous Chuck Berry throwaway of the band's career, does this record really take off."

Although, in all fairness, I have no idea what "spavined" means ...

Thanks for your reaction LBA72.
First: (Levels of) commercial succes can travel hand in hand with quality and artistic merit my friend. Or is it prove of quality that EOMS sold less and got less airtime and did not have a No.1 single? Is it prove of quality when five critics say it's their greatest record?
Maybe their pr machine worked very well in those days and they felt they needed to do something after those somewhat disappointing sales and airtime...the reviews could get better! You know how many 'critics' were on the road with them? I never counted them but I tell you this: a five star review can travel hand in hand with all sorts of pleasure (sexually, philosophically and financially).

The difference is that my opinion dates from back in the day and hasn't changed that much (later on I listened to it more often and now I think it's good but still GHS is better to me). What I use to evaluate an album is my own ears and remembering what we all said about it and if it was played often or not and which songs were played most (and stuff like that). Plus I like to read what the makers think about their own work in retrospect (see my other post) and other people working in the same 'business.'

Of course (in the sixties and early seventies) it was interesting to read about the RS but not in the way that it mattered to us a lot how the magazines (there were just a few) would write about an album: we would buy those albums anyway and form our own opinion on the spot. Things changed - today much more people base their opinion as well as their buying behaviour on what they read (or hear or see). Also on sites like IORR there are younger people who feel the need to be acknowledged as a true fan so when they read a quote by LB their opinion is formed. And there are a lot of people here who like to specialize in giving opinions and reviews based on old reviews by guys like LB because they feel it might give them some importance.
That's why I appreciate your reaction; not many people have an opinion based on their own memory and experience.

Oh and in his review of EOMS in Rolling Stone Lenny Kaye wrote:
"...they've stuck close to home, doing the sort of things that come naturally, not stepping out of the realm in which they feel most comfortable. Undeniably it makes for some fine music, and it surely is a good sign to see them recording so prolifically again; but I still think that the great Stones album of their mature period is yet to come."

Together with my own memory of how we discussed the albums in those days and the airtime the albums and singles got it's absolutely fair to say EOMS wasn't that well received by fans (SF was and GHS was!) when it came out...and that by the late 1970s critics had come to view EOMS as their greatest record. And that has been repeated so many times by so many 'critics' that practically everyone on IORR will believe it is.
I wonder how many people on IORR remember their reaction when the album came out?

It's impossible for me to be objective about EXILE. I didn't really "get" The Stones till '71 when at 16 I bought HOT ROCKS and proceeced to wear out Side 3. Then when the '72 tour was announced I showed up at a ticketmaster at a Broadway dept store at 5am and got shut out so had to hustle across town to a broker to buy two floor seats at $20 per ... which was about 3X face value and a fortune at the time.

Then EXILE came out and ... I couldn't @#$%& believe it. It was the first rock record I'd ever bought on the day of its release and I disappeared down the rabbit hole of its 4 sides and those Robt Frank photos and all those track by track credits on the sleeves wondering who all those people were. Suffice to say, lots of dope was smoked and lots of late night headphone sessions ensued.

(I still to this day cannot listen to "Let It Loose" w/o getting goosebumps; Mick's most courageous vocal, by far, and my second favorite Stones studio recording--behind only "Gimme Shelter.")

Then came the show and I was of course blown away. I was struck by how integral the new songs were and I couldn't imagine a band not touring behind whatever they had just released. It was all very exciting and new.

I spent the rest of the summer going to all kinds of rock concerts and saw GIMME SHELTER at a local theatre about 11 times in a 30-day run. And something dawned on me ... the band I had just seen in June, as unbelievable as they were, were not the band that had toured America just 3 years earlier, in 1969. I realized I had missed The Rolling Stones at their peak!

In '72 they were The Greatest Show on Earth ... but in 69 (or at least it seemed to me), an entire world looked into their eyes for ... something. They were IT in '69, culturally. And I never quite got over GIMME SHELTER's portrait of a powerless-to-help Mick at the mikestand while everything unraveled before his very eyes. It was, I realized then, never the same band.

I'm exaggerating for effect, of course. The band recorded great music and stellar albums after Altamont. STICKY FINGERS and the beautiful sprawling mess of EXILE are masterpieces. But by the time GOAT'S HEAD SOUP came out, The Stones had already proven that time, indeed, waits for no man. It was a waffling, weak record, in my opinion, and squandered their legacy as bad-ass rock'n'roll gunslingers. I had seen Bowie in late '72 and he was SO MUCH BETTER as a glammed out vision of rock'n'roll's future than a dissipated Mick camping his way through "Dancing with Mr. D."

But they all lived happily ever after! One guitarist moved on, another replaced him and they became a good time party jukebox band and made hundreds of millions of dollars making tens of millions of fans happy over the next FORTY YEARS!

I'll always treasure, though, what they once were ... and what they could have gone on to be, had they not blinked and then lost their way, artistically speaking. Just the opinion of one man who lived through it ...

Truly a fantastic post LBA72!!
"...lots of dope was smoked and lots of late night headphone sessions ensued." I can relate to that!
I think the music on GHS has a different atmosphere (much more serious) compared to the video's in which MJ is indeed camping & fooling around trying to look like David...
Well they had some peaks left now and then but I agree it's jukebox time for at least 20 years now.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 10, 2015 04:23

Dreamer
as a certified fan you are accepted instantly and you're welcome in the pit at all times.

Thanks Dreamer! I never really had any question about it but I may have to quote you on my certification from time to time. You can recognize me in the pit, I'm the one with the smile marks tanned into my face. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 10, 2015 08:01

LongBeach: During the 70's no one was better than Bowie anyway... To answer to the thread question, well I wonder... if your favourite writer is Oscar Wilde, will you describe yourself as "an Oscar Wilde fan"? Unless you're Morrissey... I doubt it.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 08:36

ChelseaGirls
LongBeach: During the 70's no one was better than Bowie anyway... To answer to the thread question, well I wonder... if your favourite writer is Oscar Wilde, will you describe yourself as "an Oscar Wilde fan"? Unless you're Morrissey... I doubt it.

Very true. That MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD through SCARY MONSTERS run was ridiculously good.

Date: May 10, 2015 09:23

Exactly ! No bad albums during this era, I would even say "not a single album which was less than stunning".
Work, fantastic musicians, cocaine and megalomania helped of course! His classic albums are better than the experimental ones whose songs remain very catchy (The Joe the Lion guitar riff or the song Be My Wife and its ragtime intro). He defined the sound and the imagery of many "Outsiders" music movements/bands, punk, post-punk, The Smiths and even the shitty ones such as "New Romantics", new wave... Blame it on Bowie! Bowie was not even a "fantastic" lyricist - his great voice inflexions did the job on Diamond Dogs / Ziggy - but what a vocalist... I mean just listen to his voice on Station to Station. Even when he tried to sound like The Kinks (if you listen to the song Lazy Old Sun by The Kinks you will understand), Bolan, soul vocalists or Bob Dylan (The Bewlay Brothers on Hunky Dory or some songs on Space Oddity) he was not that bad.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2015 15:41

Dreamer
Naturalust
treaclefingers
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
GHS it too inconsistent for me. Some great stuff, sure, but as an album it lacks a wholeness, imo.

That's exactly where Exile, SF and BB are great, imo. SG, too, of course.

Of course...I know your preferences. And I agree for 90% grinning smiley
At the same time I think EOMS is the one that's more inconsistent...

(But) to me it was just interesting to realise/see how lots of people years after EOMS came out instead of form an opinion after they bought and listened to the album (develope their own taste) they nowadays (influenced by media all over) just consume or otherwise 'take' the 'opinion' and spread it all over the place as the truth: look honey I just bought the greatest album by the RS. And they forget they have to 'let it grow' on them...
They just state EOMS was and is and will be their greatest album because all their friends at IORR and in the pit say the same. Of course peer pressure always exists but I get the feeling opinions/feelings were more discussed with friends after we bought the album...not before.

Your suggesting that there is some sort of `group think` happening, or a `conspiracy` to rewrite music history and give no credence to the idea that people may actually `prefer` EOMS album to most others.

MJ himself has not shown much love for EOMS, yet even still it has grown huge in stature over the years.

RSs went `rough and tumble` with EOMS and this, coupled perhaps with Sticky Fingers, are their archetypal albums...if people are talking about them in 100 years, it`ll be satisfaction, gimme shelter and these two.

I also think Exile was way more inconsistent that GHS. It's all over the place musically. I also think there is an aspect of group think peer pressure that helped Exile achieve it's legendary status. No doubt the "masterpiece" descriptions that eventually got attached to it caused many people to give it another chance after an early dismissal. I also believe the Nellcote stories and many excellent photos from that period helped propel it to legendary status. Exile became more than just a bunch of songs, it was a bohemian lifestyle, freaks in wonderland, orgy of excess statement that helped define 70's hip culture.

As far as Jagger not showing much love for Exile, I think it has considerably grown on him just like the rest of us. For someone who thrives on adoration, no doubt this record has given him much such affection from the media and fans.

peace

Exactly! For some people reasons enough to name it masterpiece or legendary; as a certified fan you are accepted instantly and you're welcome in the pit at all times.

I think MJ still likes SF & GHS most.

WTF? And you know that because of how many GHS songs are always on the setlist?

I'll give you SF, but Some Girls is massively above GHS in terms of what's on MJs radar.

Date: May 10, 2015 15:54

Mick didn't like Exile (publicly) because it was regarded Keith's baby, musically smiling smiley

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 10, 2015 16:01

DandelionPowderman
Mick didn't like Exile (publicly) because it was regarded Keith's baby, musically smiling smiley

I thought he didnt like it because it was a big mess with a lot of recording in France but then he had to take the tapes to LA and figure it all out and make an album out of it... or something like that... and the critics didnt love it at first, so that probably mad Mick sad.

Maybe Micks favorite album is Hot Rocks, they play at least 1/4-1/2 of it at every stop.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 10, 2015 16:25

treaclefingers
Dreamer
Naturalust
treaclefingers
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
GHS it too inconsistent for me. Some great stuff, sure, but as an album it lacks a wholeness, imo.

That's exactly where Exile, SF and BB are great, imo. SG, too, of course.

Of course...I know your preferences. And I agree for 90% grinning smiley
At the same time I think EOMS is the one that's more inconsistent...

(But) to me it was just interesting to realise/see how lots of people years after EOMS came out instead of form an opinion after they bought and listened to the album (develope their own taste) they nowadays (influenced by media all over) just consume or otherwise 'take' the 'opinion' and spread it all over the place as the truth: look honey I just bought the greatest album by the RS. And they forget they have to 'let it grow' on them...
They just state EOMS was and is and will be their greatest album because all their friends at IORR and in the pit say the same. Of course peer pressure always exists but I get the feeling opinions/feelings were more discussed with friends after we bought the album...not before.

Your suggesting that there is some sort of `group think` happening, or a `conspiracy` to rewrite music history and give no credence to the idea that people may actually `prefer` EOMS album to most others.

MJ himself has not shown much love for EOMS, yet even still it has grown huge in stature over the years.

RSs went `rough and tumble` with EOMS and this, coupled perhaps with Sticky Fingers, are their archetypal albums...if people are talking about them in 100 years, it`ll be satisfaction, gimme shelter and these two.

I also think Exile was way more inconsistent that GHS. It's all over the place musically. I also think there is an aspect of group think peer pressure that helped Exile achieve it's legendary status. No doubt the "masterpiece" descriptions that eventually got attached to it caused many people to give it another chance after an early dismissal. I also believe the Nellcote stories and many excellent photos from that period helped propel it to legendary status. Exile became more than just a bunch of songs, it was a bohemian lifestyle, freaks in wonderland, orgy of excess statement that helped define 70's hip culture.

As far as Jagger not showing much love for Exile, I think it has considerably grown on him just like the rest of us. For someone who thrives on adoration, no doubt this record has given him much such affection from the media and fans.

peace

Exactly! For some people reasons enough to name it masterpiece or legendary; as a certified fan you are accepted instantly and you're welcome in the pit at all times.

I think MJ still likes SF & GHS most.

WTF? And you know that because of how many GHS songs are always on the setlist?

I'll give you SF, but Some Girls is massively above GHS in terms of what's on MJs radar.

Mick plays Miss You and Beast of Burden more often for sure, but whether there is a correlation between what Mick likes and what he feels obligated to play is a question only Mick can answer. I actually doubt he listens to much Stones music unless he is re-learning a tune or remixing or mastering a re-release. I think he tries to be more in tune with what's on the majority of concert goers radar than what he really likes at this point. I doubt the setlist is a clear and specific reflection of Mick's personal tastes at this point and he always tends to favor the up tempo rockers for live work.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 17:35 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 10, 2015 16:31

Dreamer is right..GHS and SF are more MJ favs due to his input..and lack of keith.

Date: May 10, 2015 19:21

Eleanor Rigby
Dreamer is right..GHS and SF are more MJ favs due to his input..and lack of keith.

Thank god...someone wading into the conversation that has at least heard this from Mick directly.

Your contribution is a breath of fresh air.

Date: May 10, 2015 19:35

treaclefingers
Eleanor Rigby

Thank god...someone wading into the conversation that has at least heard this from Mick directly.

Treacle wins post of the day.

Date: May 10, 2015 19:56

There is a reason why they made Deluxe versions of Exile, Ya Yas and SG, and not GHS and IORR.

Just saying...

Date: May 10, 2015 20:06

LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
Eleanor Rigby

Treacle wins post of the day.

thank you...I'm gushing right now.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:23

DandelionPowderman
There is a reason why they made Deluxe versions of Exile, Ya Yas and SG, and not GHS and IORR.

Just saying...

Because...?

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:24

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Just saying...

Because...?

Maybe they will do deluxe versions of IORR and other ones in the future

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:25

Nothing is real.

Date: May 11, 2015 00:04

alimente
Nothing is real.

I take it back, treacle; alimente wins post of the day.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 11, 2015 01:04

<<To me, if a so-called fan says that Exile is not the Stones masterpiece, I pretty much dismiss them as a fake fan.>>

Anyone who says I have to like Exile as much as they do I just dismiss as a turd on the run.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2015 06:54

A real Stones fan has ....

- listened to Jumping Jack Flash at least 300 times, and still likes it...
- made a Stonescave in his cellar
- thinks the ticket chase is an integral part of a true Stones adventure
- has saved a couple of old Stones vhs-tapes, recorded on tv, from the pre-internet days
- likes to stake out a pit in the backyard where he/she walks around preparing for another tour
- thinks that 50 box for a paper thin t-shirt is actually cheap
- thinks that waiting 2 years for his fan club cap is reasonable
- although Dirty Work is not a masterpiece it's still better than anything else any other band has ever made
- thinks that finding a rare Stones lp in an obscure record shop at the right price is as close to heaven as you can get

Date: May 11, 2015 07:03

If you don't follow the five pillars of islam you're not a real muslim... I guess we should write our own pillars. If you see someone who don't follow one of these rules, please ASK the moderator to BAN this person as soon as possible. This is a place for real stones fans. accept our rules or go find another message board used by kuffar like you.

Date: May 11, 2015 07:12

The list I made is of course made in tongue and cheek. In case someone didn't get that...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2015 07:15

I don't get anything ........

ROCKMAN

Date: May 11, 2015 07:16

Rockman

that's what she said.

Date: May 11, 2015 07:18

Stoneage
The list I made is of course made in tongue and cheek. In case someone didn't get that...

I am not THAT stupid ...

If your list was true it would be a heresy anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-11 07:19 by ChelseaGirls.

Date: May 11, 2015 07:21

treaclefingers
Rockman

what she said.

"I smoke 'cause I am hoping for an early death and I need to cling to something!"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2015 07:24

I only smoke during intercourse .....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 11, 2015 07:30

So I'm a Stones heretic now? Always something I guess...

Date: May 11, 2015 07:43

Stoneage
So I'm a Stones heretic now? Always something I guess...

Soon you'll be a TOASTED Heretic.

Date: May 11, 2015 07:54

Thanks, Chelseagirls! You seem to be a nice bunch of girls...

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home