Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Street Fighting Man picture sleeve photo question
Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: May 6, 2015 04:52

Has any info turned up on where the riot photos were taken? I thought I read that it was Los Angeles 1968 but i'm not sure.

Re: Street Fighting Man picture sleeve photo question
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 6, 2015 05:07

It was taken in L.A. in August of 1968 during the WATTS riots from that horrible time

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 6, 2015 05:25

Didn't the Watts riots take place before or about the same time the single was released? Certainly it was released before the Chicago Democratic convention...which would have been my first guess based on the political signs.

Also, if it was Watts riots I would think there would be a few African Americans in the group. confused smiley

Good question though.

peace

Date: May 6, 2015 05:38

Look at the detail in the picture. LAPD is seen, not CPD.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 6, 2015 05:40

stonesstein
It was taken in L.A. in August of 1968 during the WATTS riots from that horrible time

1968 or 1965? [crdl.usg.edu]

Date: May 6, 2015 05:44

1968 riots as I was told, being that riots and disturbances went on for years....

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 6, 2015 06:33

It could be the Sunset Strip riots in December 1966, if it's LA (I'll take your word for it). I don't think it's Watts, too many whites. There is a sign that mentions Bobby Baker, and that scandal was around 1964. So who knows? There were a lot of those scuffles going on. Does that sign say "Flower Power" on it? It's hard to read.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 6, 2015 07:27

The Watts riots were in 1965.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 6, 2015 08:02

I would wager that Rockman knows the answer to this (probably off the top of his head) but he is being kind and allowing others to have a guess and allow some conversation before he swoops in and answers it while probably providing some supporting documentation.

And for odds, I would wager that he has anwewred this question before.

There really are no more mainstream Rolling Stones questions which have not already been asked and answered here on IORR... but there is that rule about DONT WAKE UP OLD THREADS, so keep on asking questions because it is fun to guess plus it provides opportunity for more conversation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-06 12:46 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2015 10:12

Naaa can't help ya Leonoid ...
Can't recall ever reading where these shots are from.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 6, 2015 12:49

I take it all back. I am lucky no one made a wager.
I figured this was a well enough known pictures that it would be well known.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 6, 2015 13:46

I don't usually look into stuff like this, but I did come across this a while ago and was struck by the price. A mention of the origins of the photo on the sleeve, but it doesn't help with your question. Here's the description:

The Rolling Stones "Street Fighting Man" picture sleeve
An original picture sleeve for the American release of the Rolling Stones' single "Street Fighting Man" with B-side "No Expectation” (45-909). "Street Fighting Man" was the first picture sleeve released by the Stones that did not feature an image of the band. The single was first released in August of 1968, just before the Chicago Democratic National Convention, where riots broke out between demonstrators and the Chicago police force. The Stones' picture sleeve used two images depicting police brutality taken from one of the many riots that had broken out in over one hundred U.S. cities that year. The record company deemed the sleeve to be inappropriate and it was immediately withdrawn. No one knows for sure how many examples of this sleeve have survived but most estimate the number to be between ten and eighteen copies, placing it among the rarest pieces of Rolling Stones memorabilia.

[www.bonhams.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2015 15:23

I never heard or ever dreamed of this Charlie Watts-inspired riot.

Sounds far worse than 20000 grandma's waving their hanky's in the air. And burning up their pensions and shouting it's not fair.

In view of the circumstances, I do understand from the photo the regiment of soldiers standing, looking on.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 6, 2015 15:51

thanks " tricky ", like NL posted Watts and riots don't match!grinning smiley
The Paris riots inspired the SFM lyrics, the picture sleeve was quickly banned after it's release; " demonstrators being beaten in LA " that's what I found.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 6, 2015 16:15

Thing is it looks more like some riots on a Stones concert in 1964/1965.

Date: May 6, 2015 17:17

Redhotcarpet
Thing is it looks more like some riots on a Stones concert in 1964/1965.

I found another pic but wider than Rockman posted with a sign: "Bring our troops home now" , so it must be an anti Vietnam war demo.

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: May 7, 2015 00:20

Great discussion on this. No definative answers anywhere on this. Looking at the demonstrators they seem to look like beatnicks and I've seen photos that look similar to these from the 1966 Sunset Strip Riots. I'm thinking that this may be where these are from.

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: May 7, 2015 01:32

Possible lead...

The LBJ sign in the sleeve could relate to a June 1967 demonstration in LA, as photographed by the Herald-Examiner newspaper:

Photograph caption dated June 24, 1967 reads, "Hundreds of anti-war demonstrators paraded in front of Century Plaza Hotel during President Johnson's visit. They carried signs and banners decrying the Vietnam war. Later, a wild melee developed."

The image here is at night and the predominantly white marchers are attired in period clothing similar to what's seen in the front sleeve.

And this pic of the protest "melee" from the June 25, 1967 Los Angeles Times looks like a relative of the front sleeve image:

More photo exploration needed to find a definitive answer to the sleeve mystery.

Harold

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-07 03:16 by stoneslib.

Date: May 7, 2015 10:52

I think that one picture sleeve shows the Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles 1967, here's more info: [www.dannyfaragher.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home