Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Stones Mono Albums
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 4, 2015 15:38

Does anyone have a sixties-singles in Stereo?

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

2 1 2 0

Date: May 4, 2015 15:51

Come On
Does anyone have a sixties-singles in Stereo?

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Many smiling smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 4, 2015 19:56

Blueranger
LongBeachArena72
Blueranger
deardoctortake1
Blueranger
whitem8
It is a shame they didn't release the Mono pressing of Sticky Fingers with the Deluxe box set.

Why? It's a folddown from the stereo mix. Nothing is different except that it's the two signals combined into one.

Wow, I always thought and heard it was a different mix, combined with the rarity of the mono WLP, hence the high price tag. Been searching for a copy or at least the audio for years.

Is there a sample of the audio anywhere aside from the 45 of Brown Sugar?

In all my years, the only different mono mix I ever heard was the Mono Sympathy for the UK Beggars, and No Expectations from the 45

It's a common misunderstanding Sticky Fingers in mono are a dedicated mix. It's simply a folddown from the stereo. Be ones guest and do it yourself from your stereo copy and you will have a personal treasure! ;-)
To include the mono folddown in the new package would be a total waste of space.

However, the single mono mixes of Brown Sugar, Bitch and Sway, ARE different and great mixes.

Regarding Stones mono mixes, the Chess tracks from 1964 are also simply folddowns from the 3-track stereo recordings. The same with Beggars Banquet, except for Sympathy For The Devil. The 45 single mix of Street Fighting Man is also dedicated, but the B-side, No Expectations, is also a fold.

Let It Bleed is a folddown as well.

Beware that the US copy of Aftermath, is also a folddown, while the UK is a dedicated mix.

The very first UK run of Satanic, was a dedicated mix. However, that shifted to a folddown almost from the beginning. However, the US mono, is and has always been a dedicated mono mix.

I think I now understand what a "fold-down" is compared to a "dedicated mono mix." But, ultimately, they're both just mixes, right, of material recorded in a multi-channel environment? Were any Stones albums ever recorded "natively" in mono, or was that not done by the 60's?

Sure, but the difference is that a dedicated mono mix are made for a mono signal, with a balanced soundscape. A mono folddown from a stereo mix, will leave an unbalanced soundscape. Therefore, they made dedicated mixes in mono back in the sixties. With The Beatles' wild overdubbing and multitrack recording, the stereo and mono mixes became quite different, and sometimes created really different mixes, resulting even in different solos, vocals etc, because of editing performances together from multiple takes.
With The Stones who had a very different recording habit, mostly recording live or with very few overdubs, it's not resulting as different soundscapes than with The Beatles. However, there are some differences, but they are subtle. "Yesterday's Papers" and "Sympathy For The Devil" are examples of different sounding mixes with different elements not heard in stereo.

Thanks, blueranger, that is very helpful info--'preciate it!

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: May 4, 2015 20:27

The mono and stereo mixes of the US LP "Got LIVE if you want it" are radically different.
The mono, which is the rarer of the two, sounds wonderful and it's obvious a lot of time was put into the mix. It is definitely NOT a fold-down.
The stereo, on the other hand, has a very bizarre separation, with Jagger's vocals way up front and the audience sounds only coming from one speaker.
The stereo CD of this recording features a more balanced mix, but also has substituted different versions of the band introduction and Under My Thumb.
All of the above releases sound like one, uninterrupted performance with no breaks or fade-outs between the songs. (And yes, I know, Fortune Teller and I've Been Loving You Too Long are studio recordings with audience mixed in...)
Finally, the stereo Lp has the song "Satisfaction" fading out to silence as the band plays the song. My CD has the performance fade out into the ambient sounds of an emptying concert hall after the performance!!
The foreign pressing of the stereo LP that I heard (called "Have You Seen Your Mother, LIVE") features each song as an individual track, with annoying fade-ins as each song begins and equally annoying fade-outs.
Between mono and stereo mixes, CD and LP versions and differences between US and foreign issues, I think this Stones release might offer more variances than any other....
But the one to get is the US LP mono mix!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 4, 2015 20:41

DandelionPowderman
RobberBride
It is true that this mono label is different than the usual white SF promo label.
The RS-13653-PR is the mono code and the RS-ST .... is the stereo.
So mono labels do exist.
Note that Brown Sugar is above the spindle hole on the mono label and below on the stereo.

I remember disussing this with the highly regarded JR back in 2009 or earlier.
He usually knows what he talks about, but to my ears the mono we all discuss is a folded down stereo, and JR is the only one I know of to date who have clamied it is real mono. Or to put it differently, most arguments I have heard about it stems from a comment he did back then about the "five copies".

I don´t know.

One thing is for sure. The "mono" SF sounds great. Why shouldn´t it. And the positively mono-mixed singles (Sway et al) SMOKES!

Wouldn't it be easy to compare, say, the Sway dedicated mono mix with Sway on this one - to establish whether it's the same mix or not?

There's usually a considerable difference between a fold down and a dedicated mono mix.

The mono mixes of Brown Sugar, Bitch and Sway on the promo copy (I have a cd needle drop of it) is not the same as the single versions. the single mono mixes are at times radically different from the stereo versions. This should be proff enough in itself, that they would have used the already exsisting mono mixes used on the singles instead on creating new mixes for a promo copy for limited use.

Date: May 4, 2015 20:43

Haven't checked myself. Thanks, Blueranger.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: May 4, 2015 21:09

thkbeercan
The mono and stereo mixes of the US LP "Got LIVE if you want it" are radically different.
The mono, which is the rarer of the two, sounds wonderful and it's obvious a lot of time was put into the mix. It is definitely NOT a fold-down.
The stereo, on the other hand, has a very bizarre separation, with Jagger's vocals way up front and the audience sounds only coming from one speaker.
The stereo CD of this recording features a more balanced mix, but also has substituted different versions of the band introduction and Under My Thumb.
All of the above releases sound like one, uninterrupted performance with no breaks or fade-outs between the songs. (And yes, I know, Fortune Teller and I've Been Loving You Too Long are studio recordings with audience mixed in...)
Finally, the stereo Lp has the song "Satisfaction" fading out to silence as the band plays the song. My CD has the performance fade out into the ambient sounds of an emptying concert hall after the performance!!
The foreign pressing of the stereo LP that I heard (called "Have You Seen Your Mother, LIVE") features each song as an individual track, with annoying fade-ins as each song begins and equally annoying fade-outs.
Between mono and stereo mixes, CD and LP versions and differences between US and foreign issues, I think this Stones release might offer more variances than any other....
But the one to get is the US LP mono mix!

i'm really intrigued in this mono never knew about it

Posted by: MF ()
Date: May 4, 2015 23:13

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-17 15:42 by MF.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: May 5, 2015 00:43

MF
Blueranger
[..] on the promo copy (I have a cd needle drop of it) [...]

Are you saying your research is based on a bootleg CD? Who do you think you are?

Cool it ! - Baby . . . .
That´s no language to use on the IORR-site !
If you in any way disagree with Blueranger, - that´s of course OK ! -
but no need to be offensive !
Use arguments ! ! !
tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 5, 2015 01:52

The Sway on the MONO Promo LP clocks in at 3:49(same as the regular release,yes?) and the 45 MONO version is considerably shorter if that means anything...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-05 19:50 by scottkeef.

Date: May 5, 2015 15:11

Ok guys all I need now is 12x5 mono and got live mono if anyone is kind enough to email me a link? I'd greatly appreciate it

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 5, 2015 16:38

I'm currently selling the "Got Live" US CD 493 =mono at Amazon:
but we can work something out here, if you're interested.

[www.amazon.de]

You're e-mail address is hidden, btw.

Date: May 5, 2015 16:54

Rank Stranger
I'm currently selling the "Got Live" US CD 493 =mono at Amazon:
but we can work something out here, if you're interested.

[www.amazon.de]

You're e-mail address is hidden, btw.

can't afford it until the end of the month but thanks for the offer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2015 16:07

electricmud
treaclefingers
That is the second pressing then, that also is quite valuable...I have neither, just the two DECCA stereo variations open letters and boxed.

As far as I know the second pressing (boxed Decca) of LIB is even more valuable and quiet rarer cause pressed a few months only.

Tom

Could be...price wise I've seen the open DECCA letter version go for much higher and pretty consistently so on EBAY. That was a few years ago mind you, when I was paying closer attention.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2015 16:09

philrock90
treaclefingers
philrock90
treaclefingers
philrock90
i have let it bleed mono original pressing... i still need to find a aftermath mono to maybe download if anyone can help?

Hi Phil, do you mind my asking, do you have the 'complete' package with poster and stickered album cover? Is the word DECCA in a box or open letters on the label?

nope i don't have the poster or sticker on the album Decca is in a box it has the original pink inner with the hole on the back to show if its mono or stereo

That is the second pressing then, that also is quite valuable...I have neither, just the two DECCA stereo variations open letters and boxed.

I'm still debating whether to get a stereo copy on vinyl

Just do it...you won't feel complete until you've satisfied that void.

Date: August 2, 2015 03:23

Hello Stones Fans of the World,

Would someone please help me with the following:

I have "Satanic", "O Banquete Dos Mendigos", and "Let it Bleed" on Brazilian vinyl as they were released in 1969. They are labeled mono.

I believe my copy of "Satanic" is a fold-down mono because the bells ring twice instead of three times before the beginning of "The Lantern."

Would anyone know whether the Brazilian mono versions of "Let it Bleed" or "O Banquete Dos Mendigos" are fold-down mixes as well? From what I understand in the earlier comments, there was never a dedicated mono mix for "Let it Bleed". With respect to "O Banquete Dos Mendigos", I would be interested to know whether the "Sympathy for the Devil" is a dedicated mono mix assuming the rest of the titles on that lp are fold downs.

Many thanks,

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Brazilian Mono Vinyl by The Stones - Help Needed
Date: August 2, 2015 02:43

Hello Stones Fans of the World,

Would someone help or direct me to the right thread? (I tried searching but no luck.)

I have "Satanic", "O Banquete Dos Mendigos", and "Let it Bleed" on Brazilian vinyl as they were released in 1969. They are labeled mono.

I believe my copy of "Satanic" is a fold-down mono because the bells ring twice instead of three times before the beginning of "The Lantern."

Would anyone know whether the Brazilian mono versions of "Let it Bleed" or "O Banquete Dos Mendigos" are fold-down mixes as well?

Rockman, would you know?

Many thanks,

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Re: Brazilian Mono Vinyl by The Stones - Help Needed
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 2, 2015 02:49

Here's a Stones mono thread Charles B, but I don't know as you'll find the answer to your question there.

[www.iorr.org]

Date: August 2, 2015 03:23

Thank you, Late Bloomer.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 2, 2015 04:19

There's some threads that may be helpful for you, on Steve Hoffman forums: Let it Bleed/Beggar's Banquet in mono, Let it Bleed in mono and Stones mono records.

These brazilian editions are hard to find even here in Brazil. I could only find the mono edition of Let it Bleed, but I'm not sure if it's a folddown or not.

Date: August 2, 2015 06:07

Thanks Cristiano. I have the "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" in mono as well. This is most certainly a fold-down mono, but it's cool to just to have something different to listen to.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2360
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home