Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: “We play to people, not policies”
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 28, 2015 01:52

mickschix
Well, they did record SWEET NEO CON! That was a very political song....bjust sayin...and no one protested or said nasty things about the band.

maybe the problem with that one is that it was just a terrible song?

Anyway, although I enjoy a good political 'dustup' from time to time I'm comfortable in not doing it around here.

I do get a bit disappointed that this band isn't more involved in things and seems to have a disproportionately high interest in money...at a certain level, it's not as if they can do more or enjoy themselves more with it.

It's their life though, and their legacy to build and maintain so they can do what they want.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 28, 2015 01:57

stones2000
bv
I told you once and I told you twice. If you post political it does not matter if you are John or Paul or George, I will ask Dirty Harry to silence you within a split second.

Listen to Mick. What he says is so true. They play to people. Nothing else. They don't approve anyhing by playing anywhere. They did not approve whaling by playing Norway. They did not approve bull fighting by playing Spain. And so on and so on and so on. And we simply can't discuss political matters like bull fighting, whaling, president elections of the USA or anthing else that makes people campaign pro or con their strong opinions. It will simply make IORR into a war zone, please take political campaigns elsewhere. Or Dirty Harry will strike hard and fast.

Sorry, forgive my not knowing, I've only been here about 2 months, but who is Dirty Harry? Is he symbolic, or is there literally a Dirty Harry user? Thank you.

Here you go.... even he's been misjudged.. smiling smiley

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: April 28, 2015 03:59

Naturalust
stones2000
bv
I told you once and I told you twice. If you post political it does not matter if you are John or Paul or George, I will ask Dirty Harry to silence you within a split second.

Listen to Mick. What he says is so true. They play to people. Nothing else. They don't approve anyhing by playing anywhere. They did not approve whaling by playing Norway. They did not approve bull fighting by playing Spain. And so on and so on and so on. And we simply can't discuss political matters like bull fighting, whaling, president elections of the USA or anthing else that makes people campaign pro or con their strong opinions. It will simply make IORR into a war zone, please take political campaigns elsewhere. Or Dirty Harry will strike hard and fast.

Sorry, forgive my not knowing, I've only been here about 2 months, but who is Dirty Harry? Is he symbolic, or is there literally a Dirty Harry user? Thank you.

Dirty Harry is a movie character played by Clint Eastwood. His character used a .44 Magnum pistol to eliminate bad guys. Bjornulf's use of the character's name is saying he will promptly eliminate political posts by shooting them down as quick as Dirty Harry pulled the trigger.

peace

Ah, thank you

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 28, 2015 05:06

Does this essentially mean it's their policy to only play for people?
This is a timed question...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 28, 2015 05:41

Well there was at least one doggy at Altamont
And them there elephants that missed out on Memphis 1975 show woulda been really pissed.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 28, 2015 10:20

I never did like the police, I'm glad they don't play to them. FTP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-28 10:24 by Leonioid.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 28, 2015 15:36

John Lydon put it more straightforwardly:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: April 28, 2015 19:41

treaclefingers
mickschix
Well, they did record SWEET NEO CON! That was a very political song....bjust sayin...and no one protested or said nasty things about the band.

Anyway, although I enjoy a good political 'dustup' from time to time I'm comfortable in not doing it around here.

I do get a bit disappointed that this band isn't more involved in things and seems to have a disproportionately high interest in money...at a certain level, it's not as if they can do more or enjoy themselves more with it.

It's their life though, and their legacy to build and maintain so they can do what they want.

Agreed. May be their worst song ever. Mick trying to be hip - whenever he does that it turns out bad, real bad.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: April 28, 2015 21:07

bv

With all the many, many politic and social issue sites out there, it's not asking too much to keep this place clean from such discussions. The nature of which lead to name calling and unnecessary tension between posters with an otherwise common interest. I enjoy IORR just the way it is. Most of us respect others political positions, whether we share them or not. Here, we come to discuss music, tours, and whats happening with the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. Not the goings on at 10 Downing St. Pennsylvania Ave., etc.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 28, 2015 22:20

Leonioid

Didn't Sting once say, "we'll play for people or policies"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-28 22:20 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 28, 2015 22:30

Rokyfan
Leonioid

No, it was more about ending up a statistic on a government chart...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 28, 2015 22:50

Jesse1960
Here, we come to discuss music, tours, and whats happening with the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. Not the goings on at 10 Downing St. Pennsylvania Ave., etc.

Unless, of course one the Stones happen to visiting one of those places. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 28, 2015 23:48

Rokyfan
Leonioid

I think it was something about him playing the secret policieman's ball or something...
Rooooxxxxxxaaaaannnnnnne

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 28, 2015 23:58

"We piss play anywhere, man."

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 29, 2015 00:04

Well anyway most people age 70 and above are more concerned about getting half price on the bus than maching for politics in the streets. There is a time for everything in life. First it is sex, then it is rock, and then it is roll.

Bjornulf

Date: April 29, 2015 01:07

alhavu1
treaclefingers
mickschix

Agreed. May be their worst song ever. Mick trying to be hip - whenever he does that it turns out bad, real bad.

Agree too - although I do NOT think sweet neo con is a terrible song, besides that I liked the statement and cannot see Mick trying to be hip. Same with e.g. highwire

Date: April 29, 2015 01:55

bv
Well anyway most people age 70 and above are more concerned about getting half price on the bus than maching for politics in the streets. There is a time for everything in life. First it is sex, then it is rock, and then it is roll.

lol, Sounds like you've been listening to Keith a bit. Maybe in Northern Europe but most people I know over 70 here in America can afford to buy the bus and with a little help from modern chemistry are more into sex than they were at 50. winking smiley

I think it's more about social responsibility which often comes later in life to people who have earned the spare time, money and influence. There is little doubt someone like Mick Jagger could have more influence and create more positive change in the world than most folks his age, if he so chose. It's obviously his own business and I'm not criticizing him one way or another. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't have more respect for him if chose to take on more worldly problems. With his great business sensibilities and work ethic he could do great things.

But like most everyone else my only real expectations from Mick and the Stones are a good show and I don't necessarily advocate mixing the business of Rock and Roll with other social causes (for the Stones) but they have certainly been great and successful bedfellows in the past...starting with the awesome Concert for Bangladesh.

peace

Date: April 29, 2015 02:18

Nikkei
mickschix
Well, they did record SWEET NEO CON! That was a very political song....just sayin...and no one protested or said nasty things about the band.

Except for the Walmart chain, they objected to selling ABB because of Neo Con and fearing the album title might upset creationists.

Really?!? I never heard that before!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 29, 2015 02:26

It was mentioned the german issue of Rolling Stone at the time. Apparently the notion of a bigger Bang wasn't acceptable to those doubting a big Bang ever occured.
I dont know if it really was boycotted in the end. The article also said that White House Officials declined to comment.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 30, 2015 20:33

the very idea that what some rock band says about politics or world conditions is in some way important or means anything is just incredibly naive.

they are wasted words that mean less that nothing.you'd have to be lost in the 1960's or just too young to see the world as it is to believe otherwise.

there isn't someone sitting at a desk saying"you know,i think we should cancel that arms shipment to the middle east.i was listening to flashpoint the other day and i think mick is right about this."

jagger was probably looking for something to write about and happened to be watching the news before he wrote the lyrics to sweet neo con.it's such an overly simplified lame 60's style protest song that he looks to have spent 10 minutes on it then moved on to the next item on his daily to-do list.dont quite think that one would've made the cut to be on beggars banquet.

Date: April 30, 2015 21:07

lem motlow
the very idea that what some rock band says about politics or world conditions is in some way important or means anything is just incredibly naive.

That's true to most mature folks who are less influenced by such things....but considering how infatuated with celebrity we are as a society and how easily young people are influenced by pop stars and such, I think it's a bit naive to think that people in such positions of great influence expressing opinions is meaningless. There was a time many years ago when I looked up to my rock star heros, hung on their every word and they probably even helped shape some of my views today. And who can deny the powerful effect of songs like Ohio?

Yes it's strange that people might look to a rock band for insight into politics or world conditions when their expertise in not necessarily in such things but it's more about emulating your heros, and rock gods are still high on the list for lots of people. Besides music artists have a role in painting a picture of our world. The best like Bob Dylan do so in such a way that it clarifies and defines our condition in a meaningful and often critical way, and the message can't help but be colored by the artist's own views, imo.

peace

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 30, 2015 21:35

lem motlow

they are wasted words that mean less that nothing.you'd have to be lost in the 1960's or just too young to see the world as it is to believe otherwise.

there isn't someone sitting at a desk saying"you know,i think we should cancel that arms shipment to the middle east.i was listening to flashpoint the other day and i think mick is right about this."

jagger was probably looking for something to write about and happened to be watching the news before he wrote the lyrics to sweet neo con.it's such an overly simplified lame 60's style protest song that he looks to have spent 10 minutes on it then moved on to the next item on his daily to-do list.dont quite think that one would've made the cut to be on beggars banquet.

So because Mick jagger is a rock star then by definition he can have nothing to say on a political issue? What rubbish. Being a celebrity certainly doesn't lend any credibility to anyone's views but it doesn't disqualify them from being able to reason and form worthwhile opinions. You have no idea what he thinks or how the song came about. Once you say, "Jagger probably . . . . " it means you are making up what comes next. Talk about wasted words.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 1, 2015 20:32

bv

Just a few questions: would you include The Rolling Stones, whose members don't take the bus for obvious reasons (wouldn't be concerned by the price, anyway) and are probably horny devils - even at their age, I guess - in this sentence? No, probably. So what did you mean by writing this?

Then, what was the common denominator shared by the posts you delete? Sometimes, these posts are deliberately offensive but I am very skeptical when you assume that you delete posts because it may offend someone. Maybe that is the case for the few posts which contain insults towards you but that is all. In many cases what is forbidden is negativity towards the band, even when it's just common decency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-01 20:33 by ChelseaGirls.

Date: May 1, 2015 23:42

Munichhilton
Rokyfan
Leonioid

Wow...that joke sure didn't land. It was like it was invisible, son.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 2, 2015 01:44

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Rokyfan
Leonioid

Like something that the cat brought in.

Date: May 3, 2015 04:41

stonehearted
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Rokyfan
Leonioid

Like something that the cat brought in.

Isn't that a song, off A Bigger Bang?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 3, 2015 21:29

Nikkei
[www.rollingstones.com]

It's kind of sad how everyone is pressured to take a stand. Even if it's a stand on not taking a particular stand.

I hope nobody's gonna project a political angle on their Indianapolis show.

Right on Mick. Does he have to make these statements in every country or is it just one country.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home